No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2018 Posts: 8,087
    If Campbell can't return, hand it over to Nolan to deliver a stellar trilogy to rival Jackson's LotR films.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Getafix wrote: »
    Campbell is massively overrated. GE is a significantly inferior film to CR, which itself has a rather overinflated reputation on these pages.

EON need fresh blood and ideas. One option is to hand over significant control to a Nolan with a brief to carve out a 3 or perhaps even 4 or 5 movie trajectory.

Alternatively revert to a more standalone approach with loose continuity a la the good old days. I don't trust EON to for this themselves though.

Lets agree to disagree regarding Campbell. :) IMO one of the best directors the series has had.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nolan will only deliver overcomplicated bleak stories a la his Dark Knight trilogy or Inception. I'm tired of seeing that kind of setting and atmosphere quite a lot in the Bond films, now you're asking for more of it?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Nolan will only deliver overcomplicated bleak stories a la his Dark Knight trilogy or Inception. I'm tired of seeing that kind of setting and atmosphere quite a lot in the Bond films, now you're asking for more of it?

We're asking for the real deal, not the shoddy imitation Mendes delivered. Its the difference between Steven Spielberg and Uwe Boll.
    We're asking for the real deal, not the shoddy imitation Mendes delivered. Its the difference between Steven Spielberg and Uwe Boll.
    So, you want a Golden Skyfall made by the director the eponymous film imitated the work of.
    Mendes gave us a Nolan knock off with SF.

I believe that Nolan has sufficient reverence for the series to want to do something really special.

It was a shame we didn't get a Spielberg Bond film and it would be a shame if we didn't get a Nolan one.

I agree that perhaps the dark Bond stuff has had its time but the last thing I want is a return to the tedium and sub par entries of the Brosnan era. If Nolan is the alternative then I will gladly take it.
    I'm all for a Brosnan era thematic that also remains relevant to the times.

Dynamite did that with a couple of entries and they proved to be the greatest titles among their Bond graphic novels.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,028
    Hmm. GoldenSky. GoldenSkeye.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 6,601
    Why are we still explaining EVERY time, that Campbell is too old? If Mendes doesnt get it. Leave him be. I believe, everybody else got it by now. Thing is, the same Campbell/Nolan discussion starts all over again, which has been flocked to death by now.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t want to see Nolan direct, even though he is a fantastic film maker, mostly because I don’t care for his Batman films that much
  • RC7RC7
    If Campbell can't return, hand it over to Nolan to deliver a stellar trilogy to rival Jackson's LotR films.

Still don’t understand why some people believe Nolan would do a trilogy. Not happening.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, strange suggestion. Nolan looks like the kind of guy who, as an established filmmaker, has many stories to tell without "subscribing" to a series.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

No Bond film no matter how good could ever rival the brilliance of Jackson's LOTR trilogy.
    RC7 wrote: »

Still don’t understand why some people believe Nolan would do a trilogy. Not happening.

I think people just assume he'd have some big multi film vision because of his Batman films but even that wasn't planned. He took it a film at a time and wasn't originally planning on doing another after The Dark Knight.

I'd love a Nolan Bond film though. People say we don't need it because of how much Mendes was inspired by Nolan's Batman, but I think the problem there is assuming that he'd approach Bond in the same way he did Batman. I'm not sure he would. He's shown a lot of variety and Dunkirk was a big departure from the big dense epics he'd spent the last few years doing. He's talented enough to not repeat himself.
    I remember a comment babs made in 2013 saying they would even be willing to get Mendes for future films. Maybe Mendes has an idea & will get b26
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I certainly hope that never, ever happens again.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I certainly hope that never, ever happens again.

You will explode?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Random thoughts based in recent posts:
    1. Mendes won’t come back.
    2. I would say that Nolan is a frontrunner fo 26. But I sure would love to see what Villeneuve could do. IMHO, Villeneuve is the better director right now.
    3. Pemberton is probably at the head of the line to compose 26. But it would be cool if Boyle went with a rock musician with little film composing experience (like George Martin): Alex Turner. Or one who does: Johnny Greenwood.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I remember a comment babs made in 2013 saying they would even be willing to get Mendes for future films. Maybe Mendes has an idea & will get b26

That was before the detailed drama from the sony leaks fiasco; and ultimately the creative mess that was SP. Mendes' involvement with Bond is 100% done.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »

No Bond film no matter how good could ever rival the brilliance of Jackson's LOTR trilogy.

Though in all fairness, they are nothing alike, now are they. ;)

Could LOTR generate 25 feature films? Those three Hobbit flicks were a daunting task to sit through without dozing off.

wrong answer. the first one is fine, the other two are garbage. and the hobbit is even worse.

I don't understand how Jackson veered so far off piste with Tolkien. his first film was atmospheric and character and narrative driven. then it all just descended into CGI tedium and endless shots of children dressed as dwarfs running across the same mountain locations seemingly endlessly for hours on end.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Really didn't care for those LORD OF THE RING films.

Same. Give me Bond any day.

Getafix wrote: »

wrong answer. the first one is fine, the other two are garbage. and the hobbit is even worse.

I don't understand how Jackson veered so far off piste with Tolkien. his first film was atmospheric and character and narrative driven. then it all just descended into CGI tedium and endless shots of children dressed as dwarfs running across the same mountain locations seemingly endlessly for hours on end.

And yet our beloved spy franchise is far beyond of being guilty of doing what you say the LOTR trilogy did. There are a plethora of entries within the 24 films we have that are garbage (imo obviously) and is in a seriously worse and different league of basterdizing the source material compared to what Jackson ever did and I'm including the hobbit (as disappointing as they were) films in this particular regard too.
    Bond has to move with the times. Roger Moore era has been and gone.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I saw the first one in theaters and dozed off about 3 separate times and never bothered with any of the rest. The whole medieval/hobbit thing just isn't for me.
    Unbelievable what some people say about LOTR. I watched each of the three films numerous times in the cinema and wouldn´t have minded seeing two in a row. I watched the extended versions also and found them a bit meandering in comparison. But the cinematic versions are a textbook example of how to make thrilling story arcs. I never read the books and have no Intention of reading them in the near future, but the films I pop in every now and then.

I wonder if Peter Jackson could do anything with Bond.
    I'm sure he's been mooted.

we have had plenty of new Zealander already
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I remember reading that he was being considered for TWINE, but then Barbara saw The Frighteners and it put her off.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm a big fan of the original trilogy and count it among the best ever made. I agree that Fellowship of the Ring is probably the best, although I have a soft spot for The Two Towers. Gollum always gets me. Tragic character.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Unbelievable what some people say about LOTR.

They're undoubtedly great films, it's just that I don't care for the genre.