No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm all for the Production thread being started closer to the actual production date (nearly 1600 pages in and what do we know?), but then which thread would we post the director/release date announcements etc.? A Pre-production thread?

Then we have all sorts of threads going: Rumour/speculation; Pre-prod; Production thread etc.

I would open the Production thread when the first bit of confirmed news comes in, e.g. B25's release date (July last year), and have a rumour/speculation thread for anything not fact.

P.S. and going forward can we please only have Confirmations added to this thread title? None of this 'random Reddit user claims x' bs in the heading. Anyway, those are rumours, and should go in the rumour thread, not here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This wikipage lists Thomas Newman as the composer for B25:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_in_film#Bond_25_(2019)

This is the first I read about this. No source is mentioned. Do we know more?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,619
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    This wikipage lists Thomas Newman as the composer for B25:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_in_film#Bond_25_(2019)

This is the first I read about this. No source is mentioned. Do we know more?
    Look, now it says Hans Zimmer! :)) (I just edited it. Anyone can do it.)
    Oh marvellous! :D

@Murdock will not be pleased now. :)
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    edited June 2018 Posts: 231
    Let's be honest, it's too early to tell who the composer will be - in likelihood I suspect it will be either Arnold or Pemberton (being as Boyle has worked with both). Would *love* to see Pemberton get a crack, let's bring in some new blood!
    agreed. i would be fine with Arnold but something new would be welcome
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Arnold seems the most likely guy for the job.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    From what I've heard from the both of them, Pemberton seems more suited to Boyle's style, and I'm sure he'd like a crack at Bond (some of his scores deliberately evoke Barry). I agree that it will probably be between these two. If it's a new third party that would be fine too.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Arnold seems the most likely guy for the job.

5oLEN2r.jpg
    How about John Murphy?
    He worked with Boyle on a few occasions. His 28 Days Later score is haunting and thematically rich.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    How about John Murphy?
    He worked with Boyle on a few occasions. His 28 Days Later score is haunting and thematically rich.
    I haven't seen the film and so just checked out a few of the tracks on youtube @DarthDimi. Not bad, and as you say, haunting. I think he may be a bit too Newman'esque for the majority of forum members however, who from what I can tell are longing for something a bit more traditional after the last two films.

I'd certainly be open to him however, because I appreciate all the 'one offs', as I've mentioned before. Variety is good for the series imho.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 10,588
    QBranch wrote: »
    I'm all for the Production thread being started closer to the actual production date (nearly 1600 pages in and what do we know?), but then which thread would we post the director/release date announcements etc.? A Pre-production thread?

Then we have all sorts of threads going: Rumour/speculation; Pre-prod; Production thread etc.

I would open the Production thread when the first bit of confirmed news comes in, e.g. B25's release date (July last year), and have a rumour/speculation thread for anything not fact.

P.S. and going forward can we please only have Confirmations added to this thread title? None of this 'random Reddit user claims x' bs in the heading. Anyway, those are rumours, and should go in the rumour thread, not here.
    The thread contains unofficial info as well, and always has. Many fans like to know the latest tidbit (such as crew members joining, casting & location rumours). I have started to put a cap on certain sources like Cashley, Express.co.uk, and others that are likely just stirring rumours.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's exactly why we'll hopefully do things differently come Bond 26. A Production Diary isn't needed until production is actually ready to ramp up.

But there will inevitably be a thread where Bond 26 is discussed. So the change will be in name only.

The idea I've had for months is a 'Bond 26 Anything Goes' Thread, so we can avoid the possibility of being off-topic as we discuss our wants and hopes, rumors, etc. Then the Production Thread gets opened around the time the press conference is set to begin, or even when the new actor is announced. I don't see a reason why it can't be done that way.
    The intent of a production diary is to carry through all stages of production, from pre-production through to release. Even if one skips the first stage there will inevitably be off-topic chatter.

I don't see the big deal in the page number. The thread contains an abundance of intelligent conversation, and those who can't keep up can just read the timeline on page 1.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 40,473
    I'll still hold to that thought. With the way I mentioned, at least it's broken up better and the Production Thread will actually have proper conversation in it versus hundreds of pages of nothingness. We'll see what happens when the time comes.
    jake24 wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »

The thread contains unofficial info as well, and always has. Many fans like to know the latest tidbit (such as crew members joining, casting & location rumours). I have started to put a cap on certain sources like Cashley, Express.co.uk, and others that are likely just stirring rumours.
    No worries mate, just thought I'd add my three cents when Creasy mentioned possible changes for the future/B26 production thread. I still say we should have a separate rumour/speculation thread though for all the nonsense. It seems to work on the ajb forum. Cheers.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That'd work for me (saving the Production Thread for release date unveiling, everything else can go in an organized Rumor Thread), but we're still a long way off so we can judge the consensus and hammer out the details in a few years when the time comes.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Personally, I feel this thread has had it's day in the sun (or at least that day is fast approaching). It's far too cluttered and difficult to navigate.

I think we should rename the thread and call it the 'Bond 25 Pre-Production Diary'. We can then lock it for good once the movie starts filming and start the 'Bond 25 Production Diary' (obviously we include the name of the film at that point).

I think it would be slightly neater and more organised.
    Personally, I feel this thread has had it's day in the sun (or at least that day is fast approaching). It's far too cluttered and difficult to navigate.

I think we should rename the thread and call it the 'Bond 25 Pre-Production Diary'. We can then lock it for good once the movie starts filming and start the 'Bond 25 Production Diary' (obviously we include the name of the film at that point).

I think it would be slightly neater and more organised.
    With respect, I have put way too much effort into this thread just for it to close in a few months. It honestly can't get more organized than it is now.
    Just my two cents:

I'm not in favour of renaming threads after the fact or separating or locking threads after the fact. Arguably this should have been a 'speculation' thread from the get-go. Nobody could have expected the shameful delays we've endured over the past 3+ years for whatever reason, but hindsight is 20/20.

Once production gets underway it will be easy enough to streamline the first page of this thread so that it focuses only on actual 'production information', thereby becoming an authoritative information summary source for those who don't visit often. Those who want to wade in and read other information and discussion which occurs randomly can always do so, and there are many members who do enjoy the ongoing casual conversation, despite the occasional pointless arguments and personal attacks which derail things.

I agree that for B26 there should be a 'speculation' thread and an actual 'production' thread, which is initiated only once things officially get underway.

My personal thanks to @jake24 for all the work he has put in to date in maintaining what I believe to be the most entertaining and interesting thread on this forum.
    Agreed @bondjames. And much appreciated.
    For the record, I do appreciate all the input from you guys. I try to take everything into account.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 8,087
    Yes we only need 2 threads for Bond 26. One discussing official press releases as they roll in, and the other covering all speculation from whatever source. Then those "fed up" with the clutter needn't be exposed to information that isn't concrete. And those happy to discuss that stuff won't have to be constantly talked down to. Everybody wins.
    bondjames wrote: »
    My personal thanks to @jake24 for all the work he has put in to date in maintaining what I believe to be the most entertaining and interesting thread on this forum.
    Ditto on all points. We do appreciate it.
    @jake24 is keeping this thread clean. Kudos.
    Nolan would be the obvious choice for B26 but would want complete artistic control. A bit like the Spielberg thing back in the late 70s. But as MGW and BB are probably not far off handing over the reins maybe it will happen.
    might give them the breather from the series they need/want
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Nolan would be the obvious choice for B26 but would want complete artistic control. A bit like the Spielberg thing back in the late 70s. But as MGW and BB are probably not far off handing over the reins maybe it will happen.

If MGW and BB are helming the next one after Craig, bring back Campbell. If they are handing ithe franchise off, then give it to Nolan. There's a debt to Bond in loads of his best movies. He's clearly a passionate fan, it would be like what Peter Jackson was to Lord of the Rings.
    I thought the first lord of the rings film was excellent but the others were exrement
    LeChiffre wrote: »

If MGW and BB are helming the next one after Craig, bring back Campbell. If they are handing ithe franchise off, then give it to Nolan. There's a debt to Bond in loads of his best movies. He's clearly a passionate fan, it would be like what Peter Jackson was to Lord of the Rings.

I love Campbell's Bond films too but he turns 75 this year. Bond 25 is planned for next year. If they wait at least another 2 years before Bond 26 enters the production stage, Campbell will be 78 by the time filming may commence. Nothing against older people working on film, but a Bond film strikes me as rather physically demanding. I'm not saying he couldn't do it (see Ridley Scott), but perhaps it would be asking a little much of a man pushing 80.
    Campbell is massively overrated. GE is a significantly inferior film to CR, which itself has a rather overinflated reputation on these pages.

EON need fresh blood and ideas. One option is to hand over significant control to a Nolan with a brief to carve out a 3 or perhaps even 4 or 5 movie trajectory.

Alternatively revert to a more standalone approach with loose continuity a la the good old days. I don't trust EON to for this themselves though.