No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Not sure how the mental illness and depression angle will work if true but I'm all for Paris being a location for bond 25!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I didn't mind some of the personal things in Bond films until they became a regular, overwhelming part of the series. Moore's little asides when losing a colleague like Vijay or anger at Orlov or Zorin said volumes, probably because they were apart from the norm.
    Agreed. I think it worked partially because Moore knew how to deliver it very subtly but one felt the significance and consequence. Connery did the same, particularly in GF. There was a deliberate underplaying which works with Bond. No need to lay it on thick and slap our faces with it with this series. We get it.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Some of us want to go to Bond films to escape things in the real world. Is that such a bad thing or a necessity of the world we're now living in?
    Not at all. I believe it's essential that Bond remain escapism at its finest.
    Not sure how the mental illness and depression angle will work if true but I'm all for Paris being a location for bond 25!
    I'd rather they not use Paris because it will be the primary location in the next MI outing and we've already had a bit too many locational similarities in the last installments of these two franchises. Best to try someplace new imho.
    Maybe they will still do Croatia? Highly unlikely since the Croatia rumors were going when they were going with the purvis and wade script
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep. With Bond apparently having a near death experience nearby the Adriatic and meeting old acquaintances (Felix?) there.
    I don't know why some of you are taking that Reddit poster and rumors from tabloid sites so seriously
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I don't know why some of you are taking that Reddit poster and rumors from tabloid sites so seriously

We are not taking them seriously we are just speculating just to keep the conversation on bond 25 alive nothing wrong with that
  • RC7RC7
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Personally I'm not remotely interested in seeing a depressed, negative mental Bond.
    I just want to see him be the coolest man alive.
    What I’ve been saying for years.

I’m not sure I’d necessarily equate a depressed Bond with a negative Bond. It’s possible his ‘front’ is that of coolest man on the planet, but it doesn’t mean we have to dispense with the duality of his character.

Anyone thinking they’re going to regress to the days of an infallible playboy (and believe me, I’m the biggest Roger fan) is sorely mistaken in my opinion.

It’s about balance. CR got it spot on Imo, where SF and SP drifted into melodrama.

They merely need to reign it in, but the exploration of his character to a certain degree is here to stay. Fleming made it work and the films will continue to follow this path.
    RC7 wrote: »
    They merely need to reign it in, but the exploration of his character to a certain degree is here to stay. Fleming made it work and the films will continue to follow this path.
    Yeah. They've been exploring the Bond character in every film since TLD, more or less, and there's no reason to expect they'd shift gears now. 'Less,' of course, meaning the Brosnan films, though each one of them still did try in its own way.

However, there is a potential balance to strike between the old 'infallible playboy' order and the new character study one. I think this is what the Brosnan era aimed at. Based on talk around here, and the subsequent direction Eon went, it would seem to have failed. It'll be curious to see whether or not they want to give that sort of approach another try.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think it all will depend on which actor they have in the saddle. We know where we are with Craig, and his presence drives the current direction, for better or worse. Brosnan did so too in his own way and so did Dalton before him. These actors have their strengths and weaknesses, and the narrative will have to be framed to accommodate and balance against that. A good director will be able to fit his/her vision into that context.

I personally would prefer if the character peelback is done in a less 'in your face' manner going forward than it has been done recently. CR to me was a one-off and it should remain that way, as OHMSS was. These sort of films have more impact if they are done once like that for each actor in my view, with the remaining films being of the 'lighter' variety. It's still possible to throw in a few character moments, but subtlety is the key. I personally like how they did it during the Moore years. Those little scenes in TSWLM/FYEO in particular resonate with me even now after many rewatches, and the films are still easy to get through.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think it all will depend on which actor they have in the saddle. We know where we are with Craig, and his presence drives the current direction, for better or worse. Brosnan did so too in his own way and so did Dalton before him. These actors have their strengths and weaknesses, and the narrative will have to be framed to accommodate and balance against that. A good director will be able to fit his/her vision into that context.

I personally would prefer if the character peelback is done in a less 'in your face' manner going forward than it has been done recently. CR to me was a one-off and it should remain that way, as OHMSS was. These sort of films have more impact if they are done once like that for each actor in my view, with the remaining films being of the 'lighter' variety. It's still possible to throw in a few character moments, but subtlety is the key. I personally like how they did it during the Moore years. Those little scenes in TSWLM/FYEO in particular resonate with me even now after many rewatches, and the films are still easy to get through.

I have nothing to add here. Spot on.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Germanlady wrote: »
    The mental and depression thing has been done in SF, so why would they do it again?
    Because it basically is a theme reoccurring in all of Craig´s films? It was already redundant after QoS.

Personally I'm not remotely interested in seeing a depressed, negative mental Bond.
    Hear, hear!

What I’ve been saying for years.

I’m not sure I’d necessarily equate a depressed Bond with a negative Bond. It’s possible his ‘front’ is that of coolest man on the planet, but it doesn’t mean we have to dispense with the duality of his character.

Anyone thinking they’re going to regress to the days of an infallible playboy (and believe me, I’m the biggest Roger fan) is sorely mistaken in my opinion.

It’s about balance. CR got it spot on Imo, where SF and SP drifted into melodrama.

The problem is these days people are brainwashed into believing that a man cannot be mental-emotionally ballanced without ongoing psychotherapy.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondjames wrote: »

Very well said!
  • I enjoy Danny Boyles films and his style but I am still concerned how he is going to tackle a Bond film. i hope that he does not feel the urge to film it with an iPhone! I remember thinking that 28 DAYS later was one of the worst looking films that i ever saw in a cinema. he shot that with a DV camcorder. Boyle is currently using the cinematographer that he used on the series TRUST to film his Richard Curtis musical. I wonder if he will be taken onto the Bond production. Also Ed Sheeran is part of the new Boyle film so maybe this is an opportunity for Boyle to get Sheeran on board during production and start writing a song.

Wouldn't it bee interesting if Eva Green came back to play the villain! Vespers evil twin sister or even being used in a "vertigo" style plot.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Also Ed Sheeran is part of the new Boyle film so maybe this is an opportunity for Boyle to get Sheeran on board during production and start writing a song.
    Christ no.
    Wouldn't it bee interesting if Eva Green came back to play the villain! Vespers evil twin sister or even being used in a "vertigo" style plot.
    I’m presuming you’re joking?
    I enjoy Danny Boyles films and his style but I am still concerned how he is going to tackle a Bond film. i hope that he does not feel the urge to film it with an iPhone! I remember thinking that 28 DAYS later was one of the worst looking films that i ever saw in a cinema. he shot that with a DV camcorder. Boyle is currently using the cinematographer that he used on the series TRUST to film his Richard Curtis musical. I wonder if he will be taken onto the Bond production. Also Ed Sheeran is part of the new Boyle film so maybe this is an opportunity for Boyle to get Sheeran on board during production and start writing a song.
    Why do you think a seasoned and versatile director like Danny Boyle isn´t able to differentiate between a Beatles film and a Bond film?
    No, that wouldn´t be interesting.

• Also Ed Sheeran is part of the new Boyle film so maybe this is an opportunity for Boyle to get Sheeran on board during production and start writing a song.
    Christ no.

If handled right it could work. isn't there a rumour that the villain has a connection to Bond ? This way they come full circle back to CR.

• boldfinger wrote: »
    I enjoy Danny Boyles films and his style but I am still concerned how he is going to tackle a Bond film. i hope that he does not feel the urge to film it with an iPhone! I remember thinking that 28 DAYS later was one of the worst looking films that i ever saw in a cinema. he shot that with a DV camcorder. Boyle is currently using the cinematographer that he used on the series TRUST to film his Richard Curtis musical. I wonder if he will be taken onto the Bond production. Also Ed Sheeran is part of the new Boyle film so maybe this is an opportunity for Boyle to get Sheeran on board during production and start writing a song.
    Why do you think a seasoned and versatile director like Danny Boyle isn´t able to differentiate between a Beatles film and a Bond film?

I don't think that he can't differentiate between a Beatles film and a Bond film. Because of his varied filmography i am interested in the style and tone that he will decide on. It should be interesting.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Just make the thing entertaining. Have a central plot that doesn't revolve around Bond, but something he tries and succeeds to solve. He's a secret agent (an English secret agent from England) and that's his job. It can be done without having to strip back his whole psyche and laying it bare. If you look at it, FRWL has a central 'revenge' plot against James Bond where his enemies are calculating the British 'psyche' and gambling on it. He has a 'personal' love story and a trusted ally dies. But it is all done as an entertaining thriller without dramatic close ups on faces and searching character's souls. Just make Bond cool. Too much to ask?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Also Ed Sheeran is part of the new Boyle film so maybe this is an opportunity for Boyle to get Sheeran on board during production and start writing a song.
    Christ no.

If handled right it could work. isn't there a rumour that the villain has a connection to Bond ? This way they come full circle back to CR.
    At some point I really need to give up coming here, just for my own sanity.

In the last couple of days we’ve had one person claim that in the whole of Bond music ‘New Digs’ is only bettered by the Bond theme, then someone else who thinks a mental Bond training a protege is a good idea and now someone advocating that the villain should be Vesper’s twin sister!?!??!

How long before someone suggests the villain should be played by a monkey and then we really have come full circle from DN?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    If this happens, I swear by God I will stand up and leave the theatre before the movie ends.
    Then again a talented, Oscar winning director thought that making Bond's greatest rival also Bond's foster brother was a good idea.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2018 Posts: 8,127
    Walecs wrote: »
    If this happens, I swear by God I will stand up and leave the theatre before the movie ends.

This is the Craig era, something like that is not out of the question.

I for one am looking forward to the personal angles being thrown away with, but I think we're in for one more spin on the merry go round. I can get on board with that. Bond 25 will likely be about aging, rejuvenation and rediscovered passion and sense of purpose.
    How about Zazie Beetz as Bond girl? She is mesmerising.
  • RC7RC7

Not for me. Eyes are too close together and a mouth like Predator.

Christ no.

At some point I really need to give up coming here, just for my own sanity.

In the last couple of days we’ve had one person claim that in the whole of Bond music ‘New Digs’ is only bettered by the Bond theme, then someone else who thinks a mental Bond training a protege is a good idea and now someone advocating that the villain should be Vesper’s twin sister!?!??!

How long before someone suggests the villain should be played by a monkey and then we really have come full circle from DN?

The tragic thing to me is, in the old days Cubby, Harry and Eon had the good sense to prevent ideas like Dr No as a monkey from making it to the screen. Today any crappy idea I fear, has an outstanding chance of actually being featured in a new Bond film.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 6,601

Not for me. Eyes are too close together and a mouth like Predator.

We had that look in ourlast Germanys Top Model - I found her very appealing. Google Juliana GNTM.
    BTW - make Bond cool again? I think, we had sn uber cool Bond in Sp, and thats why it lacked drama snd suspense. It was a total going back to the old days thing. Didnt work. How about. „Cool“ mix of both? And yes, best done in CR.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Then again a talented, Oscar winning director thought that making Bond's greatest rival also Bond's foster brother was a good idea.
    I consider him about as talented and Oscar winning as the actress who played Jinx.

Walecs wrote: »

This is the Craig era, something like that is not out of the question.
    What, people leaving the cinema? I could agree with that.
    I for one am looking forward to the personal angles being thrown away with, but I think we're in for one more spin on the merry go round. I can get on board with that. Bond 25 will likely be about aging, rejuvenation and rediscovered passion and sense of purpose.
    Like it has been done to death in recent hero flics of all sorts, including recent Bond films. How exciting.

BTW - make Bond cool again? I think, we had sn uber cool Bond in Sp, and thats why it lacked drama snd suspense. It was a total going back to the old days thing. Didnt work. How about. „Cool“ mix of both? And yes, best done in CR.
    SP didn´t work because it dragged as a film, not because Craig was cool or because of brothergate. What didn´t work was not a total going back to the old days thing, but that they tried and failed. In the old days even those Bond films with the silliest plots still delivered outstanding craftsmanship. SP wasn´t any of that.

The script was the reason SP lacked drama and suspense.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Watching OP the other day it dawned on me how much simpler it was to write villains during the Cold War.
    From FYEO till TLD the Russians could and would be used as a potential rogue villain or similar.
    Nowadays the villains aren't quite on the same scale. Though it is hard I imagine to create threat for a believable villain. Slightly different times of course, but it must of been nice to have a story concept, and be able to throw a dastardly Ruskie renegade general in for good measure.
    I'd hate to come up with a Bondian scale threat for a villain now.