No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Really Wizard, I never cared about the gun barrel. I like it, but I dont loose sleep over it being or not being there. The four year gap has nothing to do with DC, so not my playground either, the plot? I have seen worse in Bond Films. Bit if I had my wish, I would like a stand-alone Thriller with suspense and not action heavy like TCs films. You love the trailer, I dont.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree, it's beyond a joke now. I doubt most of the audience cares so at this point I'm starting to think they keep messing with it solely to wind us lot up. There's always something wrong with it now. Every time.
    That's a very good point. Guaranteed the public aren't even aware of it at all yet still they keep pissing around with it. So one has to ask the question why? Although if they were doing it to deliberately wind us up they would just repeat the lamentable QOS one. I think it's simply ineptitude rather than actual malice. They clearly know there's something wrong with it hence their continual tinkering but it seems completely beyond their intelligence to just go back to the Brozza design which didn't need changing.
    Change for the sake of change in my view. Got to put one's stamp on things you know. Shows creativity and all that.
    The Brozza design did need the change for sure. People were tired of the camp. For now I see a mix of both worlds as the best deal.
    I'm a purist, I like the gun barrel at the beginning and the music in sync with it. Why mess with perfection and produce a cheap imitation? The only real innovative exception IMHO was the OHMSS gun barrel which was also aided by John Barry's excellent arrangement and knowing how to score the thing properly.
    Before the Craig era, the gun-barrel was never really an issue. Granted, the DAD CGI bullet was overkill and unnecessary, but the sequence had never been screwed up to such a degree as to completely ruin the moment and insult Maurice Binder's legacy.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,837
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree, it's beyond a joke now. I doubt most of the audience cares so at this point I'm starting to think they keep messing with it solely to wind us lot up. There's always something wrong with it now. Every time.
    That's a very good point. Guaranteed the public aren't even aware of it at all yet still they keep pissing around with it. So one has to ask the question why? Although if they were doing it to deliberately wind us up they would just repeat the lamentable QOS one. I think it's simply ineptitude rather than actual malice. They clearly know there's something wrong with it hence their continual tinkering but it seems completely beyond their intelligence to just go back to the Brozza design which didn't need changing.
    Change for the sake of change in my view. Got to put one's stamp on things you know. Shows creativity and all that.

Yeah I agree with this. Seems like they ditched it for the sake of it just because it was in the Brosnan films, even though it's better than anything they've come up with since. The Brosnan one was perfect. Even when they finally went back to the binder design in SP, it felt like a step back when we saw that same design in motion 20 years ago. They're not going to do any better. They should admit defeat and go back to the Brosnan one (which would probably look even better now with how good CGI has gotten).

I think if you put the music from the GF one over the GE-TWINE gunbarrel you've pretty much got the perfect one right there. Really isn't that hard.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm a purist, I like the gun barrel at the beginning and the music in sync with it. Why mess with perfection and produce a cheap imitation? The only real innovative exception IMHO was the OHMSS gun barrel which was also aided by John Barry's excellent arrangement and knowing how to score the thing properly.

I agree but I liked the CR one too, as a one off. Think that was another exception.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Just gonna take this opportunity to post my fanmade gunbarrel showing what Bond 25 should be.

I actually like the CR gunbarrel. I would have loved to follow the same trend: make it integral to the PTS. I guess it can't be done every time but I like the idea.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I actually like the CR gunbarrel. I would have loved to follow the same trend: make it integral to the PTS. I guess it can't be done every time but I like the idea.
    I wonder if this was the original intent. The shot of Craig at the end of the rope firing at the camera in QOS is almost too obviously that film's equivalent. That could easily have been the end of the PTS.

As an idea contained to a single era, it's not one I would mind necessarily. But only if they committed to it fully and confidently. No mucking around with it at the end or appending thematic messages to it at the beginning.
    I’m just hoping for a traditional gunbarrel for Bond 25. If it can’t be that though, I wouldn’t be opposed to another CR-esque one.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think if you put the music from the GF one over the GE-TWINE gunbarrel you've pretty much got the perfect one right there. Really isn't that hard.
    This. In sodding spades. To say it's not rocket science seems like overkill, it's not even as difficult as boiling an egg FFS.

I could watch this all day long. Well up to TLD. After that I always have an issue (LTK and GE I hate the music, DAD and TWINE the music OK but uses the wrong part of the theme for me, DAD the music is better (very YOLTish) but the bullet is naff. QOS-SP are just a bag of wank. CR obviously the exception, pulling it off with panache. In fact despite bearing no resemblance to the norm CR, bizarrely, is possibly in the top 5 gunbarrels).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not the GF gun barrel theme (the first three are... I don't know, a little dull I guess. Things pick up once you get to the TB gun barrel). but there's no reason why the 1995 gun barrel couldn't have been used in 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, but with Craig, and a new theme each time. The gun barrel used in SP, looked like a mid-point between the LTK and GE gunbarrels.
    This. In sodding spades. To say it's not rocket science seems like overkill, it's not even as difficult as boiling an egg FFS.

I could watch this all day long. Well up to TLD. After that I always have an issue (LTK and GE I hate the music, DAD and TWINE the music OK but uses the wrong part of the theme for me, DAD the music is better (very YOLTish) but the bullet is naff. QOS-SP are just a bag of wank. CR obviously the exception, pulling it off with panache. In fact despite bearing no resemblance to the norm CR, bizarrely, is possibly in the top 5 gunbarrels).

I must say we have quite similar tastes regarding the gun-barrel. TLD was really the last time to date the sequence has been presented with full tradition, especially in the music.

One of the things I liked about the CR gunbarrel was that it was presented in black and white and segued well into the titles. Reminds me a bit of DR NO.
  • RC7RC7
    It’s infuriating because it takes almost zero work. All it needs is orchestrating and someone on set to direct Dan. The design is nailed. The QoS and SF barrels are unfathomably awful.
    Wanting the gun barrel to be a certain way is one thing and totally fine. But I've seen several members on this site and other places who let these gun barrels affect their views of the overall films. I think that's ridiculous. Whether Bond 25 has a classic or new gun barrel shouldn't change how any of us view the film. It's a nice little tradition that some of us take too seriously
    Strog wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I wonder if this was the original intent. The shot of Craig at the end of the rope firing at the camera in QOS is almost too obviously that film's equivalent. That could easily have been the end of the PTS.

As an idea contained to a single era, it's not one I would mind necessarily. But only if they committed to it fully and confidently. No mucking around with it at the end or appending thematic messages to it at the beginning.

I think it was, at least up to the early development of QOS. Without the car chase it would have made sense.
  • RC7RC7
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    Wanting the gun barrel to be a certain way is one thing and totally fine. But I've seen several members on this site and other places who let these gun barrels affect their views of the overall films. I think that's ridiculous. Whether Bond 25 has a classic or new gun barrel shouldn't change how any of us view the film. It's a nice little tradition that some of us take too seriously

I have to say, I’ve never seen that.

I don’t really see it as a ‘nice little tradition’, I see it as one of, if not the most recognisable motif in cinema history. It doesn’t need to be played around with it. It’s part of the framework and, most importantly, simple to execute. It’s not asking for much, which is why I think it grates.
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »

I have to say, I’ve never seen that.

I don’t really see it as a ‘nice little tradition’, I see it as one of, if not the most recognisable motif in cinema history. It doesn’t need to be played around with it. It’s part of the framework and, most importantly, simple to execute. It’s not asking for much, which is why I think it grates.

Indeed. EON has one of the biggest properties in film so why to they feel the need to piss around with the key motifs that people expect. Star Wars are light years ahead when it comes to brand and marketing and they don't touch anything with the opening crawl despite it being 40 years old.

You can see EON really haven't got a clue what they re doing with it with SF. You have the shitty new GB and then to add insult to injury seconds later up ops the classic Binder design with 50 Years written inside it. Am I the only one who finds this absolutely ridiculous? They've got a classic piece of graphic design which they are content enough to try and milk for the 50th anniversary but they don't have enough confidence in it to put it in the film? Beyond idiotic.

Stop getting Bond wrong!!!!
    When it comes to the gunbarrel, I only have one wish: PLEASE do NOT use part of the Bond theme that can be heard in these gunbarell scenes when the blood starts dripping down: TND, TWINE or Spectre. It sounds awful!

This, this or this is how the gunbarell theme should sound like after Bond fires his gun.
    This, this or this is how the gunbarell theme should sound like after Bond fires his gun.
    Along with FYEO I have to say these are my favourite GB music compositions.
    FYEO and LALD are decent but LTK and GE are terrible. GE in particular sounds like a chimp banging an oil drum with a spade. That's not the Bond theme.

Panchito is correct though about TND and TWINE being completely the wrong part of the theme but FRWL, GF and DAF are the real go to GB themes with the guitar twang turned up to 11.

• RC7RC7
    FYEO and LALD are decent but LTK and GE are terrible. GE in particular sounds like a chimp banging an oil drum with a spade. That's not the Bond theme.

Panchito is correct though about TND and TWINE being completely the wrong part of the theme but FRWL, GF and DAF are the real go to GB themes with the guitar twang turned up to 11.

I’ve a soft spot for GE, but it’s a nostalgic thing, beyond that I agree. DAF probably my favourite.
    I'm not even talking about the specific compositions, I just do not want to hear THIS in a gunbarell theme ever again. I loathe it!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I'm not even talking about the specific compositions, I just do not want to hear THIS in a gunbarell theme ever again. I loathe it!

Fair enough it sounds odd when listens to alone where as the other ones sound fine
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed.
    RC7 wrote: »

I’ve a soft spot for GE, but it’s a nostalgic thing, beyond that I agree. DAF probably my favourite.
    DAF is very good too, agreed.
    Footnote: MGM in its financial report yesterday reported it spent about $15 million ($15.362 million to be precise) on severance for its ex-CEO, Gary Barber.

Only question during Q&A came from a persistent investor who wanted to know how the management-by-committee system was working. The investor wasn't satisfied.
    These results are rather disgraceful. I don't blame the investor for being disappointed. They may have to sell for cents on the $ if they don't get on with it re: a Bond film to save their a$$#@s, as per normal.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-earnings-fall-higher-revenue-1112638
    I'm with you all way there brother.

Do we think this is David Arnold's fault or the producers instructed him to do it that way?
    I'm with you all way there brother.

Do we think this is David Arnold's fault or the producers instructed him to do it that way?

I thought because the Brosnan gunbarrel runs slightly faster than previously , not enabling adequate time for the melody to be properly played. Even DAD, which restores the traditional music, plays a shortened version once the gun is fired.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    It was probably Arnold's choice as the timings are indeed faster. Newman uses Arnold's orchestration from The Name Is Bond for his full-on Bond theme rendition, no surprise he adopted the same approach as Arnold for Spectre therefore. It really doesn't help that ever since CR, the blood gloops straight down the screen quicker also (without the wavy flourish - which I find more stylish).

Personally I think they should slow things down a tad to get that proper melody in, it should be a crowd pleasing moment - most people love the feeling when that guitar kicks in after Bond fires- there is absolutely no shame in milking it for a couple more seconds to do this.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

+1
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I know this is random, but I just came across a poll on Instagram, and 87% of people said they want Daniel to return after Bond 25. I don’t think anyone is losing their interest in him, except of course for a few on this forum.