Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Sin City

A real one of a kind and a stunning looking film.

Marv's story my favourite...."I lurve hitmen.....whatever you do to them you don't feel bad.."
    Mickey Rourke hits it out of the park with this one.

Rourke was great in it. It is the best story in it...but the others were enjoyable too.
    The sequel wasn't as good apart from Eva Greens spectacular naked performance (literally!!)

I do love all the stories, but Marv's is the one I watch the most.

I can barely remember the sequel.
    Same here. I loved the original (still do) but am not too keen on the sequel. I thought it lacked something which the original had in spades, but can't remember enough about it to recall what that was. The new cast members didn't do much for me either. Clive Owen, Elijah Wood, Benicio del Toro and Devon Aoki killed it in the first film.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) dir. Sam Peckinpah. [DVD 1988 Turner Preview Version]. God I love this film, especially this version, have seen it more times than is good for me and it never fails to keep my interest through out it running time. A most authentic looking western with great dialogue thanks to Rudy Wurlitzer and great performances, James Coburn is awesome, you can't take your eyes off him when he's on screen.
    Why the hell isn't there a buffed up blu-ray of this film? I'd buy it in a shot.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,887
    Why the hell isn't there a buffed up blu-ray of this film?

Restoration costs. Even the DVD was underfunded--neither version received proper treatment, much to the frustration of the Peckinpah enthusiasts who worked on the project but were stymied by the studio. Read Paul Seydor's The Authentic Death and Contentious Afterlife of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid: The Untold Story of Peckinpah's Last Western for the full story.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sin City

Marv's story my favourite...."I lurve hitmen.....whatever you do to them you don't feel bad.."

Rourke was great in it. It is the best story in it...but the others were enjoyable too.
    The sequel wasn't as good apart from Eva Greens spectacular naked performance (literally!!)

I do love all the stories, but Marv's is the one I watch the most.

I can barely remember the sequel.
    Same here. I loved the original (still do) but am not too keen on the sequel. I thought it lacked something which the original had in spades, but can't remember enough about it to recall what that was. The new cast members didn't do much for me either. Clive Owen, Elijah Wood, Benicio del Toro and Devon Aoki killed it in the first film.

You should ve seen it in the cinema, in 3D, it was exquisite, and the Levitt/Keach interaction along with Eva Green doing a nightdive was to kill for.
    I caught Executive Decision on cable. It's about a commercial airliner that gets hijacked by Arab terorrists, and the commando team that surreptitiously boards it to save the passengers.

(Mild spoilers ahead, plus one heavy spoiler.)

Solid film. It has a nice procedural feel to it, as much of the running time is taken up by the commando team getting aboard the plane using a pressurized tunnel deployed from another plane; setting about locating, identifying and counting the terrorists; finding and trying to defuse a hidden chemical bomb that could kill millions; and trying to alert the government that although they lost communication, they did manage to get on the plane and the jets following it shouldn't blow it up yet! The shooting aboard the plane is delayed in favor of creating some good suspense, and once the bullets finally start flying, several running threads of the story are brought to a close in rapid succession, and in a most exciting way.

The main thing that rang false to me was the fact Kurt Russell, the one civilian who boarded the plane with the commandos, lands the plane by himself after the pilots die, with no one of the commando team --who might have some knowledge in that matter-- or any possible pilots among the passengers, in sight. His landing the plane is set up nicely at the beginning of the film but should've been better explained away in terms of logic. Otherwise, no real complaints. I mean, the entire premise is highly unlikely when you think about it, but the film makes it feel organic, as it should.

Good cast, with the standouts for me being David Suchet as the main villain and J. T. Walsh as a US Senator. Kurt Russell and John Leguizamo work well together. I also enjoyed Steven Seagal's role.
    Seagal, an established action hero who usually barely gets a scratch in his movies, bites the dust here twenty-something minutes into the film, leaving the rest of the team to fend for themselves. I appreciate it when a film's story uses something external to it --an actor's reputation, in this case-- to its advantage in a surprising way.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Executive Decision is a great 90's action thriller @mattjoes. I much prefer it to the more famous Air Force One. Halle Berry is surprisingly good in it and as you said, Suchet & Walsh are excellent (as always). Plus, it has the legendary Jerry Goldsmith on scoring duties, which is always a plus in my book.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BATMAN NINJA

batman-ninja-poster-cropped-1062480-1280x0.jpg

The most recent Batman animated film has finally been released. And this one is quite different from all the others. Though Michael Uslan serves, as usual, as the executive producer, this film was made by the Japanese and brings a visual style which had thus far remained unexplored in DC's animated output. The result is intriguing, to say the least.

A time traveling device takes half of Gotham's more colourful inhabitants to Feudal Japan. Catwoman, Bane, Two-Face, Death Stroke, Penguin, Joker and Harley, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Robin, Red Robin, Nightwing and of course Batman himself duke it out in the era of the Samurai, using whatever tools are at their disposal. Steampunk meets Ninja Scroll.

The visuals remind me of Ghibli's output, but with more "pencil drawn" effects, like sketches coming to life. In some scenes, for artistic purposes, the film truly makes use of some very rough sketches indeed. Yugo Kanno's music stays closer to traditional Japanimation than to what the likes of Christopher Drake and Robert J. Kral have delivered for DC's animated films. The voice work is suitable, but only Tara Strong is a "regular". Arrested Development's Tony Hale, who voices the Joker, applies such a high pitch, he sometimes sounds like Judge Doom going crazy during the climax of Who Framed Roger Rabit. Perhaps I'm still finding it difficult to accept that Mark Hamill isn't automatically the Joker. Same with Kevin Conroy, sadly absent from this film. However, Roger Craig Smith does a fine job as Batman. It's furthermore worth noting that there's a Japanese dub available too, and that's actually the one in sync with the lip movements of the characters.

Overall, BATMAN NINJA is a fresh, exciting, beautiful film, grabbing the best of both worlds. Not everyone will appreciate this oddity though. It's a unique experience, and perhaps that's why it receives mixed reviews. I'm all for it though. Like Vampire Hunter D but with Batman in the lead part, this film combines two things I'm very interested in: Batman and Japan. The climactic fight is brutal and unhinged. I loved every second of it.

Recommended.
    @bondjames Halle is good in it, though she didn't have all that much to do. I forgot to mention Jerry Goldsmith's score. Nice martial feel to it, with his trademark use of the 7/8 time signature.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I caught Executive Decision on cable. It's about a commercial airliner that gets hijacked by Arab terorrists, and the commando team that surreptitiously boards it to save the passengers.

(Mild spoilers ahead, plus one heavy spoiler.)

Solid film. It has a nice procedural feel to it, as much of the running time is taken up by the commando team getting aboard the plane using a pressurized tunnel deployed from another plane; setting about locating, identifying and counting the terrorists; finding and trying to defuse a hidden chemical bomb that could kill millions; and trying to alert the government that although they lost communication, they did manage to get on the plane and the jets following it shouldn't blow it up yet! The shooting aboard the plane is delayed in favor of creating some good suspense, and once the bullets finally start flying, several running threads of the story are brought to a close in rapid succession, and in a most exciting way.

The main thing that rang false to me was the fact Kurt Russell, the one civilian who boarded the plane with the commandos, lands the plane by himself after the pilots die, with no one of the commando team --who might have some knowledge in that matter-- or any possible pilots among the passengers, in sight. His landing the plane is set up nicely at the beginning of the film but should've been better explained away in terms of logic. Otherwise, no real complaints. I mean, the entire premise is highly unlikely when you think about it, but the film makes it feel organic, as it should.

Good cast, with the standouts for me being David Suchet as the main villain and J. T. Walsh as a US Senator. Kurt Russell and John Leguizamo work well together. I also enjoyed Steven Seagal's role.
    Seagal, an established action hero who usually barely gets a scratch in his movies, bites the dust here twenty-something minutes into the film, leaving the rest of the team to fend for themselves. I appreciate it when a film's story uses something external to it --an actor's reputation, in this case-- to its advantage in a surprising way.

Executive Decision is my favorite Die Hard clone, to the point I actually like it more than Die Hard. It's an excellent film that I occasionally pop in the DVD player when I need to kill 2 hours.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Sin City

I am a big fan of both films I have the two movie Bluray Boxset, they are both due a rewatch.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Clint = legend .
    I absolutely love this movie. Saw it in the cinema when it first came out. What surprises me nowadays is how current politics (and whatever your political leanings are) comes into play when judging an old Eastwood movie. As I recall, it was a pretty big deal at the time when Eastwood cast Chief Dan George in the movie as opposed to having an A-list white actor dress-up and play an Indian. At the time, the movie also received a lot of high praise among Native American viewers for its non-stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans in the film. Though Chief Dan George did appear in Little Big Man and receive an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor prior to Josey Wales, its director, Arthur Penn, first considered Paul Scofield for the role of Old Lodge Skins before using an actual Native American. For Eastwood and Philip Kaufman there was no such dilemma: an authentic Native American it had to be. Same goes for Geraldine Keams, who was raised on an Indian reservation, whose role as Little Moonlight was her first acting job. All this is incidental, but it only adds to what makes this movie an instant classic, which it was at the time. The script written by Philip Kaufman, based upon the book by Forrest Carter, is a masterclass in dialogue and great tension. All I can say to those who dislike this great western is (using one of its many great lines): "Don't piss down my back and tell me that it's raining!"
    bondsum wrote: »
    Clint = legend .
    I absolutely love this movie. Saw it in the cinema when it first came out. What surprises me nowadays is how current politics (and whatever your political leanings are) comes into play when judging an old Eastwood movie. As I recall, it was a pretty big deal at the time when Eastwood cast Chief Dan George in the movie as opposed to having an A-list white actor dress-up and play an Indian. At the time, the movie also received a lot of high praise among Native American viewers for its non-stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans in the film. Though Chief Dan George did appear in Little Big Man and receive an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor prior to Josey Wales, its director, Arthur Penn, first considered Paul Scofield for the role of Old Lodge Skins before using an actual Native American. For Eastwood and Philip Kaufman there was no such dilemma: an authentic Native American it had to be. Same goes for Geraldine Keams, who was raised on an Indian reservation, whose role as Little Moonlight was her first acting job. All this is incidental, but it only adds to what makes this movie an instant classic, which was it was at the time. The script written by Philip Kaufman, based upon the book by Forrest Carter, is a masterclass in dialogue and great tension. All I can say to those who dislike this great western is (using one of its many great lines): "Don't piss down my back and tell me that it's raining!"

Agree; it's a great western. Wasn't Kaufman originally to direct?
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    edited May 2018 Posts: 189
    Ang Pagbalik Ng Panday, or The Return of the Blacksmith.

It's an old Filipino movie and the sequel to the 1980 flick Ang Panday, or The Black Smith.

In layman's terms its basically a Filipino Conan the Barbarian.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    bondsum wrote: »
    Clint = legend .
    I absolutely love this movie. Saw it in the cinema when it first came out. What surprises me nowadays is how current politics (and whatever your political leanings are) comes into play when judging an old Eastwood movie. As I recall, it was a pretty big deal at the time when Eastwood cast Chief Dan George in the movie as opposed to having an A-list white actor dress-up and play an Indian. At the time, the movie also received a lot of high praise among Native American viewers for its non-stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans in the film. Though Chief Dan George did appear in Little Big Man and receive an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor prior to Josey Wales, its director, Arthur Penn, first considered Paul Scofield for the role of Old Lodge Skins before using an actual Native American. For Eastwood and Philip Kaufman there was no such dilemma: an authentic Native American it had to be. Same goes for Geraldine Keams, who was raised on an Indian reservation, whose role as Little Moonlight was her first acting job. All this is incidental, but it only adds to what makes this movie an instant classic, which was it was at the time. The script written by Philip Kaufman, based upon the book by Forrest Carter, is a masterclass in dialogue and great tension. All I can say to those who dislike this great western is (using one of its many great lines): "Don't piss down my back and tell me that it's raining!"

Agree; it's a great western. Wasn't Kaufman originally to direct?

He was. Eastwood sacked him for taking too long over setting up a shot. I'm not sure how much footage Kaufman actually shot, but he certainly did direct some of the movie before Eastwood himself took over.
    One Hour Photo (2002). One of the most disturbing films I've seen. Very good though as well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    One Hour Photo (2002). One of the most disturbing films I've seen. Very good though as well.

Excellent film! One of Robin's best.

Just watched Netflix's Kodachrome. Very touching and emotional, had me tearing up, but also incredibly formulaic and predictable, too. Still worth a watch.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Just watched Netflix's Kodachrome. Very touching and emotional, had me tearing up, but also incredibly formulaic and predictable, too. Still worth a watch.

It really is one of Robin’s best. He was even better at dramatic roles than comedic ones.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It really is one of Robin’s best. He was even better at dramatic roles than comedic ones.

He was incredible at juggling the two as well, such as in one of my favorites of his, World's Greatest Dad.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    We just felt we'd have to re-watch Disney''s Aladdin (1992) for a change. Great film, which we (my wife and I) saw twenty-five or -six years ago at a cinema (dubbed in German) and which remains one of our favourites. Great story, great music, great fun...if one is ready to open oneself up to the genre. We are.
    The Mist (2007) excellent movie with a killer ending.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    SaintMark wrote: »

I liked that movie too. One of the better King adaptations
    Lets blame Frank Darabont.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Good one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Finally saw Infinity War with zero spoiled. Not bad. It all depends on the second half, of course. I liked almost all of it except these three things:
    Thanos beats Hulk too easily & quickly at the beginning, since when does Banner 'talk' to Hulk???, and why must everyone have a nano-suit?
    More genuine moments in this than Ragnarok.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Finally saw Infinity War with zero spoiled. Not bad. It all depends on the second half, of course. I liked almost all of it except these three things:
    Thanos beats Hulk too easily & quickly at the beginning, since when does Banner 'talk' to Hulk???, and why must everyone have a nano-suit?
    More genuine moments in this than Ragnarok.
    Thanos had the power stone when he beat the Hulk down, though I think the main reason the writers and directors did that was to emphasise how much of a threat Thanos is, and took Hulk out of the front line by giving him a crisis in confidence. I suspect the Hulk will go at Thanos in part 2 with his mojo restored.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Has anyone ever had that experience where a film doesn't truly offer much but the aftertaste leaves quite an impact on you that you want to watch it more?

This one is doing that to me right now. By George, I'm enjoying it more than I should.

when_8_bells_toll_UKquad-1.jpg
    Has anyone ever had that experience where a film doesn't truly offer much but the aftertaste leaves quite an impact on you that you want to watch it more?

This one is doing that to me right now. By George, I'm enjoying it more than I should.

Cool poster! Surprisingly I have never heard of that film.

It's a cool poster alright!

Although, as a warning, I wouldn't advise you to expect much from it. Not that the film is slow-paced, just hurt by the low budget production it was made around. It offers a very witty dialogue, however, an outstanding and charismatic performance by Anthony Hopkins (when that man isn't charismatic?!) and a terrific soundtrack composed by Angela Morley (credited as Walter Scott). Otherwise, it's not action-heavy at all, but an actioner regardless.

There's more than one Bond connection to this spy thriller.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241

Although, as a warning, I wouldn't advise you to expect much from it. Not that the film is slow-paced, just hurt by the low budget production it was made around. It offers a very witty dialogue, however, an outstanding and charismatic performance by Anthony Hopkins (when that man isn't charismatic?!) and a terrific soundtrack composed by Angela Morley (credited as Walter Scott). Otherwise, it's not action-heavy at all, but an actioner regardless.

Watched this one a few months ago on Youtube of all places. Quite enjoyed it!

Watched this one a few months ago on Youtube of all places. Quite enjoyed it!
    Watched it for the first time a few years back on a VHS quality and it was bad. But, I did enjoy it. Bought the BluRay recently because I did like the film as I remembered, now I love it even more. It's the type of film that grows on you.