No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Just watching the excellent show The Alienist on Netflix. Luke Evans is really impressing me. Wonder if he will be in the running for Bond 26? He has the looks and talent and we've had Irish & Scottish Bond's so he'd be the first Welsh Bond.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Just watching the excellent show The Alienist on Netflix. Luke Evans is really impressing me. Wonder if he will be in the running for Bond 26? He has the looks and talent and we've had Irish & Scottish Bond's so he'd be the first Welsh Bond.

Dalton was born in Wales.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,894

Technically, he'd be the 2nd. Dalton was born in Colwyn Bay, but brought up, oop north. But yes, he's not as identifiably welsh as say... Burton, Hopkins or Baker.

As for Evans, I would place him up near the top of my list of actors I would like to see succeed Craig.

Technically, he'd be the 2nd. Dalton was born in Colwyn Bay, but brought up, oop north. But yes, he's not as identifiably welsh as say... Burton, Hopkins or Baker.

As for Evans, I would place him up near the top of my list of actors I would like to see succeed Craig.

Ah! My bad. How could I forget Dalton? But Luke Evans ticks all the boxes. He's well known but not a big star (yet). Has has a few hits (Beauty & The Beast). Looks great in a tux, has charisma and is more "classically" handsome than the more "rugged" Craig. He's certainly at the top of my list.

yes Luke Evans would be an interesting choice. plenty of charisma and screen presence. already pushing 40 tho so probably not given they'd only get 2 or 3 films out of him at today's rate.

they realistically need someone late 20s early 30s if they're going to manage more than 3 or 4 films
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    @jake24: I have an excuse: pale, milky skin with red dots all over it and red-brown, or carrot-tops, tend to make me ill... Redmayne naturally is one of my enemies...

When the wifey was pregnant (x3), I prayed to my Dog that I wouldn't have the red-headed kid, the one no one loves, and, at school, no one likes...

And my Dog granted my prayers and I was blessed with no ginger-haired cats for kids...

I love my Dog...

Now imagine if your kid was black. Would you be ok with that?

I wouldn't have a problem with that, but the wife would have some 'splaining to do
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ah! My bad. How could I forget Dalton?
    It's been known to happen, especially among the general body of viewers.
    --

RE: Evans - good looking guy and quite fit. However, I don't agree that he has charisma. He has been completely overshadowed in nearly everything I've seen him in, imho

RE: Redmayne - I personally haven't seen him in anything myself, but his reputation precedes him. I only know him as an Oscar winning actor. Not Bond material certainly, but I can see him in a supporting role somewhere. I'm assuming he has a reasonably enthused female fanbase.
  • RC7RC7
    Unless I’m mistaken, Luke Evans is gay, which would prove an interesting dynamic for the press to navigate.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Unless I’m mistaken, Luke Evans is gay, which would prove an interesting dynamic for the press to navigate.
    He indeed is. I suppose it would create some publicity. I personally don't think it's the sort of publicity that EON would want, but then again the world is changing quickly. I didn't expect BP to be a massive global hit either, so what do I know.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They can always make Bond gay as well, manizer no. 1.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    perhaps with a gay man playing 007, he'd be able to seduce the women in every film, guilt-free, and the press would have to bite their collective lips?
    perhaps with a gay man playing 007, he'd be able to seduce the women in every film, guilt-free, and the press would have to bite their collective lips?
    That's a good point actually, and one I hadn't thought about. In fact, I can just see the gossip mongers contemplating a 'reverse Pussy' situation due to his exposure to experiencing the charms of the opposite sex. The women would be asked about it at every turn re: whether they were able to detect interest & how they would go about inducing him, theorethically..
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Certainly beat the PC brigade at their own game. They’d have nothing to complain about... although I’m sure they’d zero in on the senseless violence and wonder if having a licence to kill is something we want to see in James Bond films. Maybe have Bond become something a little more progressive, like a community organizer...
    Certainly beat the PC brigade at their own game. They’d have nothing to complain about... although I’m sure they’d zero in on the senseless violence and wonder if having a licence to kill is something we want to see in James Bond films. Maybe have Bond become something a little more progressive, like a community organizer...
    They'll always find something to hone in on. Give them an arm and they'll want a leg. Bond will always be the ultimate target to bring down. The very things that make him interesting to some are a severe source of frustration to others, particularly those who feel an obligation to shape the world by their values.
    bondjames wrote: »
    They'll always find something to hone in on. Give them an arm and they'll want a leg. Bond will always be the ultimate target to bring down. The very things that make him interesting to some are a severe source of frustration to others, particularly those who feel an obligation to shape the world by their values.
    If Bond anyhow always will be the target of critics, then they should go the full monty and have him drink and smoke. Oh wait, Bond in the TB novel found out that he felt much better physically after a few weeks in Shrublands ;-)...
    This is all a discussion for a different thread, but Evans as Bond could work, if you ask me. A better option than most candidates mentioned, that's for sure.
    bondjames wrote: »

really? i don't sense the same levels of animosity towards bond that you guys seem to be picking up. he's a widely loved cultural icon, residual misogyny and all. what would the inteligentsia gauge changing social mores against without bond?

seriously- i think you guys are barking up the wrong tree if you imagine there's some global metropolitan conspiracy against Bond.

to be honest Bond is the archetypal metro elite character
    Getafix wrote: »
    what would the inteligentsia gauge changing social mores against without bond?
    My comments were somewhat cynical 'tongue in cheek', but your statement pretty much proves my point. Cinematically he is indeed the whipping boy for social change, as an enduring and well loved cultural icon. It's been that way for decades of course, but there is no doubt in mind that the intensity of the drumbeat has increased of late , with calls for a black Bond and what not. In a way, I contend that Craig, as an actor who is a bit different from the traditional image, has played into this. Once you go short and blond why not go further after all?

Anyway, not to derail the thread, and we've discussed this earlier in terms of the right way forward, but I am interested to see how things play out in a post #MeeToo environment. Hopefully with very little change from my perspective.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It was said more as a joke @Getafix, but a joke that has come from, as @bondjames said above, the increased calls for Idris, or Gillian, or Chalize to be the new Bond.

Yes of course we have heard this type of stupidity before, but lately it has been quite deafening. I think these voices (although a typically loud minority) are driven by their Snowflake/SJW agendas.

Bond is a perfect target for these types.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,894

They'd move the goalposts and complain about something else. These are the sort of people who are never satisfied. They might even sink low enough to claim it a publicity stunt.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    If I'm not mistaken didn't we experience this type of silence last year with bond 25 news then bam before we knew it the release date was announced?

Ok. I'm not sure being gay or straight is a qualication for playing a fictional role. At least not any more and not for the majority of modern cinema goers in the 21st century. Straight actors play gay parts and vice versa. Is it really an issue? Whoever thinks and says it is is in the wrong century. Prejudice ain't in fashion any more. This is 2018 not 1918.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Ok. I'm not sure being gay or straight is a qualication for playing a fictional role. At least not any more and not for the majority of modern cinema goers in the 21st century. Straight actors play gay parts and vice versa. Is it really an issue? Whoever thinks and says it is is in the wrong century. Prejudice ain't in fashion any more. This is 2018 not 1918.

I've raised the possibility of Luke in the past and been criticized for suggesting a gay actor. Thankfully - they're actors and their sexual orientation is irrelevant.
    We already had this debate comprehensively on the appropriate thread. While I'm fully aware of what year it is, I don't believe the time is right for this with Bond yet.

However, as I said earlier, I was wrong on BP. I didn't think it would be that big a success globally, believing that prejudice may stunt its success. So what do I know? Not much apparently.

Irrespective, my issue with Evans has nothing to do with his sexual orientation, and rather his acting and charisma. Physically he definitely looks the part imho.
    I'd wager there's not many general audience members that even know he's gay. Though I can only assume if he was ever cast, the first point of announcement will be milking the "Gay man chosen to play James Bond" angle.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47 -- and I think that's what @bondjames means when he says this may not be the time for Bond to cast a gay actor. The media would make it THE story and over-take everything else about the production. Everything would be scrutinized... It would be a circus.

I'm certain that most of us give a toss whether an actor is gay or not. Out of all the other actors mentioned to replace Craig, I believe Evans would be my choice right now (but that's not saying much since I have felt those mentioned have not excited me in anyway... I'm hoping they search and get the right man under the radar...)...

(BTW Creasy Boston just got kicked to the curb, and I missed it!)...

(I further derail this thread... back to 25!!)
    Well they'll always make it a story, regardless of the time. Black Bond, female Bond, gay Bond, whatever, the papers are always going to market it and run with it that way. I just think stopping someone who could make a great Bond from being in the role, just because of how such an angle may be spun, is a real wasted shame. Evans or Fassbender would be gold.

And yes, I missed it too so you're not alone! Would've thoroughly enjoyed watching that game after last night's debacle, too.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree that media will always run with their "hooks" and click-bait... And if no one else came and surprised in the role of Bond, I'd be perfectly happy with Evans (looks great in a tux, give him some training in combat...a great script...)
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    well if he were the first gay actor to play Bond then it might be news for a week or two like it was with James Blond and then it would be all about his acting.

frankly until these 'boundaries are broken it always seems like a big deal until the week after and then it's 'what was that absurd fuss about'?

how many of the Hollywood legends of yesteryear were gay or at the very least bisexuals? it didn't stop millions of women (and men of course) swooning over them.

Cary Grant and Clark Gable to name just two.

I understand why some actors still choose to remain in the closet but it is a pretty sad situation that they feel they need to.

I think Bond being played by a gay actor should be something fans just take in their stride. it's 2018 - Bond and the fans can deal with it. the fact is we've been watching gay actor's play straight characters since the dawn of acting so pretending anything else is the case is just kidding ourselves.

Hm, he looks nice enough, but - those of you who think DC is looking too old, Luke does show his age and beyond already. He will be 40 next year. Until he gets to start Bond he will be 44 or so. Two films into and people will start complaining. Personally I prefer it to the baby faces, but obviously its a problem for many. It doesnt even stop for our sir Roger.