The NHL Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Crosby's certainly been getting hot in these past couple of weeks, just in time for the playoffs.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, I honestly think they’ve been playing rope a dope, in so far as they needed to seriously pace themselves— there’s a lot of mileage on the core of this team.

After January, barring the injury to Murray, they turned it on. And Crosby, as he always does, has selflessly been leading by example...
    peter wrote: »
    Yes, I honestly think they’ve been playing rope a dope, in so far as they needed to seriously pace themselves— there’s a lot of mileage on the core of this team.

After January, barring the injury to Murray, they turned it on. And Crosby, as he always does, has selflessly been leading by example...

Don't forget too that the playoffs are an entirely different beast and anything can happen. I'd like to see a shocking exit in the first round, like Colorado besting Nashville.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    that would be amazing, @Creasy47 -- and you're right, this is a different beast.

I hate this new format though, it's terrible. I liked the 1 seed vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6... There was a reward for finishing first.

And there could be some genuine upsets as well (like when LA made the last play-off spot on the last game of the season and marched to the finals to become the champs (I was heavily rooting for them, since I also love a good Cinderella story).

that would be amazing, @Creasy47 -- and you're right, this is a different beast.

I hate this new format though, it's terrible. I liked the 1 seed vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6... There was a reward for finishing first.

And there could be some genuine upsets as well (like when LA made the last play-off spot on the last game of the season and marched to the finals to become the champs (I was heavily rooting for them, since I also love a good Cinderella story).

You and I both. The biggest joke to me is the 2nd and 3rd place teams per division going head-to-head in the first round. Makes no sense, I won't be surprised if they don't return to that earlier format sooner rather than later.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hope so, @Creasy47 ... I may've asked you this, but were you a hockey player? Or do you play now?
    I hope so, @Creasy47 ... I may've asked you this, but were you a hockey player? Or do you play now?

Gah, I wish I was! I've lived in/around West Virginia almost my whole life, sadly not a lot of opportunities to play hockey around these parts; hell, I don't even know how to ice skate. I've played street hockey before, though, can only assume it's even more thrilling on ice. Yourself?

Plot twist: @peter is Wayne Gretzky or something.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes: started skating at three years (walking on ice...).

Playing on ice is sublime. It's so fast and beautiful. I played competitively until 18 and could tell you what your first body check will feel like (it's terrible-- like all air's been knocked out of your lungs and all you can feel is... PAIN...)

I wish I was Wayne, or Messier, or Gilmour... I missed out on the draft, could never be that good.

So my only son (I have two girls in competitive dance), also skated at three. Did hockey school and then played up years in competitive hockey.

I coached him up until three years ago. We won championships together, lost badly, and came close-- but we were always the fastest team on the ice!!

My son has decided that hockey is a huge part of his life and would like to remain competitive, but wants to pursue business and film as his degrees (he is now 16)

But, the love of the sport is in our DNA. And my son will play competitive college hockey.

Our goal is to pick up a young group one day (after uni), and develop them into a competitive hockey club...
    That’s great! Your son will cherish those memories all his life, I’m sure. Gotta be amazing getting on that ice (sans a body check, of course).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He and I both will cherish the memories... I remember his first goal, his first penalty, his first championship and his first (and only) suspension... I remember when he got his first MVP and I remember every trip we took to different tournaments in different cities.

Playing hockey on ice is magical.
    I need to get out to see more games when I can next season, can’t beat seeing a game live and in person.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    absolutely. As we discussed: seeing Crosby live was so much more educational than on TV...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    You cannot imagine how upset I am finishing with 96 points and still sitting on the outside looking in
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing , I know the feeling... the Leafs had been out of the playoffs by a point or two in the past.

Florida turned it around this year, compared to last. Reimer did a great job backing up Luongo when he was out.

Next year they should be back in the playoff picture
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    @Last_Rat_Standing , I know the feeling... the Leafs had been out of the playoffs by a point or two in the past.

Florida turned it around this year, compared to last. Reimer did a great job backing up Luongo when he was out.

Next year they should be back in the playoff picture

We lost a few marshmallow games in March against Ottawa and Edmonton. If we won one of those we'd be in.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, that hurts
    So in the meantime I'll dust my Anaheim jersey from the closet and pull for them, as well as Tampa, Columbus and Nashville
  • peterpeter Toronto
    All good teams!
    You cannot imagine how upset I am finishing with 96 points and still sitting on the outside looking in

I'm upset for you guys, as well! Florida really turned the heat up lately, and to be just a couple points out is upsetting to see. Hopefully this same run can be continued next season (i.e. they don't wreck the team too heavily with trades in the off season) and they can make the playoffs then.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm upset for you guys, as well! Florida really turned the heat up lately, and to be just a couple points out is upsetting to see. Hopefully this same run can be continued next season (i.e. they don't wreck the team too heavily with trades in the off season) and they can make the playoffs then.

I'm hoping that as well. We've got a great system in place. Just tweak a few key pieces and we'll be good

I'm hoping that as well. We've got a great system in place. Just tweak a few key pieces and we'll be good

I didn't follow them too close this season, what issues stopped them from reaching the playoffs, would you say? Inconsistency? Luongo getting injured?

I didn't follow them too close this season, what issues stopped them from reaching the playoffs, would you say? Inconsistency? Luongo getting injured?

Poor start. We were bleeding goals allowed in November and December. Lou was hurt too for the majority of the early season. They were 28th in the standings at the all star break in January. They drastically picked it up then and they finally got used to the new system, but once we got hot, so did Columbus, New Jersey and the Flyers. But it's sucks to look back and see that one more win at any point of the season could have gotten us a spot. They say that you can't make the playoffs in November or December, but you can lose a spot at that point.

Poor start. We were bleeding goals allowed in November and December. Lou was hurt too for the majority of the early season. They were 28th in the standings at the all star break in January. They drastically picked it up then and they finally got used to the new system, but once we got hot, so did Columbus, New Jersey and the Flyers. But it's sucks to look back and see that one more win at any point of the season could have gotten us a spot. They say that you can't make the playoffs in November or December, but you can lose a spot at that point.

That has to be the most painful part about it. I was telling my friend after an overtime loss the Pens had much earlier in the season that those overtime losses/wins can really make or break your season, and the closer it gets to the end, the more you realize how one or two points will make a difference. Hell, if Dallas or St. Louis had a few games that they managed to win in regulation instead of lose in OT, they would've made the playoffs. Crazy to think about over a span of 82 games.

That has to be the most painful part about it. I was telling my friend after an overtime loss the Pens had much earlier in the season that those overtime losses/wins can really make or break your season, and the closer it gets to the end, the more you realize how one or two points will make a difference. Hell, if Dallas or St. Louis had a few games that they managed to win in regulation instead of lose in OT, they would've made the playoffs. Crazy to think about over a span of 82 games.

On March 12th we played Ottawa. Tied 3-3 with 4 minutes to go and Barkov misses a breakaway. Ottawa scored two late ones and put us away but if Barkov makes that then we probably get at least one point and were in. Things like that come back to haunt you.

On March 12th we played Ottawa. Tied 3-3 with 4 minutes to go and Barkov misses a breakaway. Ottawa scored two late ones and put us away but if Barkov makes that then we probably get at least one point and were in. Things like that come back to haunt you.

Indeed they do. One game is just that: one game, but when that same type of scenario happens five, six, seven times in a season? It can definitely spell doom. Can't count how many games the Pens played this season where it would get tied with just a minute or two left to go in the third, only for them to either lose in OT, or end up winning BUT since it's OT, the other team got a point (which is something I typically don't care about, unless it's the eastern conference and they're going head-to-head with those teams for a playoffs spot).
    I was at the Penguins-Panthers game in February where the pens were down 5-3 with 5 minutes left. They tied it within 2 minutes and we netted one with just under 2 minutes left and won 6-5. The series against Philadelphia will be a great one I think
    I was at the Penguins-Panthers game in February where the pens were down 5-3 with 5 minutes left. They tied it within 2 minutes and we netted one with just under 2 minutes left and won 6-5. The series against Philadelphia will be a great one I think

Yeah that was one of those games that really had me livid. I would've been fine with an OT loss, but to come back like that...just for nothing? Those are the worst games to watch (provided you're a Pens fan in that scenario).

Crazy how fast it all moves in the post-season, they're already going to be done the first two games of the series against Philly by this upcoming weekend.
    Sometimes I'd rather just get blown out from the start so I don't have to waste my time to watch a comeback fall short with no points.
    Sometimes I'd rather just get blown out from the start so I don't have to waste my time to watch a comeback fall short with no points.

Same, same and same. At least when my team is down 4-0 after the first period, I have a general sense of how it's going to end for them (hint: not well) and can tweak my reactions and expectations accordingly. But to play that hard just to lose in the final moments? No excuse.

I suppose you can say the same for your team coming back in the final moments, just to lose 20-some seconds into OT (also happened to the Pens a few times throughout the season), but I guess that one point they walk away with is better than nothing, so it's not as aggravating.
    I'm always fine with one point, especially if it's a come back or a game in which you don't play as well and still get something from it. It's the goals in the final minute of regulation that sucks. Like what could have happened when we played Nashiville last Tuesday and it was ruled goaltender interference. I went from completely sunken to elated in a course of 5 minutes. But everyone else won too so we did our part, but so did Jersey, Columbus and Philly.