The NHL Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,471
    I'm always fine with one point, especially if it's a come back or a game in which you don't play as well and still get something from it. It's the goals in the final minute of regulation that sucks. Like what could have happened when we played Nashiville last Tuesday and it was ruled goaltender interference. I went from completely sunken to elated in a course of 5 minutes. But everyone else won too so we did our part, but so did Jersey, Columbus and Philly.

Ahh, I remember seeing that - didn't catch the game but I know the Nashville fans were up in arms about it (as if it changed anything about their inevitable acquisition of the President's Trophy). It does irritate me when fan bias won't allow someone to see when a goal against their team should count, or vice versa: some fans think their team deserves all the goals and all the power plays, and never anything negative.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing : you guys couldn’t roll over last night?

We now face Boston; physically relentless.

13 of 20 players on leafs have played between 0 and 13 playoff games .

I’m under no illusions here— gonna be seriously tough
    peter wrote: »

Maybe that underdog role will push them to a win. Hey, nobody thought the Blackhawks would exit the first round losing 4-0 last season, either!

It's what bugs me seeing Nashville fans act a bit cocky about going against a lesser Colorado team in the first series: Nashville was in the exact same situation last season, and took it all the way to the playoffs.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Everyone said that Tampa would have been a better matchup for Toronto than Boston. But who knows? Boston had something to play for and they played horrible last night. They're a Jekyll and Hyde team. They didn't play well this past week. Florida beat them twice in 4 nights and they got smoked by Tampa. They're backing in so you may have the advantage.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Should be fun— I think Boston will use the first ten minutes to try and bulldoze the Leafs, try and get in their heads.

We r starting off in their barn, so it’ll be loud in there.

If the boys can weather the first ten minutes, then we will have a series!!

And, yes @Creasy47, I’d love to see Colorado kneecap Nashville!
    My ideal playoff run for each round: nab both wins at home (provided they start there with home ice advantage), steal one on the road, and then come home and win it.

I will say if the Pens win again this year, I wholeheartedly hope it's finally in Pittsburgh. Isn't fun seeing your team win and enjoy the ceremony amidst a sea of boos from fans of the opposing team. Understandable, but still.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes that’s gotta be crap! I wouldn’t know, the last time my team won, was years before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes...
    Yes that’s gotta be crap! I wouldn’t know, the last time my team won, was years before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes...

This could be their year! We'll know in a matter of months.
    Been a very lengthy couple of days, felt like the playoffs would never begin, but here we are! You guys have any bracket guesses as to who is taking the first round in each series?
    Yeah this is fun:

Jets over Wild in 6
    Penguins over Flyers in 7
    Kings over Golden Knights in 7
    Lightning over Devils in 5
    Maple Leafs over Bruins in 7
    Capitals over Blue Jackets in 5
    Predators over Avalanche in 4
    Ducks over Sharks in 6

Who I want to win: Jets, Flyers, Golden Knights, Lightning (but I like the Devils a bit too), Maple Leafs, Blue Jackets, Avalanche, and Sharks.
    Jets over Wild in 7 (My Choice: Wild)
    Penguins over Flyers in 5 (My Choice: Penguins)
    Golden Knights over Kings in 7 (My Choice: Either)
    Lightning over Devils in 5 (My Choice: Lightning)
    Bruins over Maple Leafs in 6 (My Choice: Maple Leafs)
    Capitals over Blue Jackets in 6 (My Choice: Blue Jackets)
    Predators over Avalanche in 5 (My Choice: Avalanche)
    Ducks over Sharks in 7 (My Choice: Either)

My choice is just my preferred winner, regardless of how likely/unlikely it is that they win. I'd be opting for the Golden Knights easily because of Fleury, but I gotta admire the Kings heating up at just the right time and nabbing a playoff spot. Ducks/Sharks I'm incredibly indifferent on, so that can go to whoever.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Jets over Wild in 7 (My choice Jets)
    Pens over Flyers in 5 (Pens)
    Kings over GK in 6 (LA)
    Lightning over Devils in 5 (Lightning)
    Bruins over Leafs in 7 (Leafs)
    Blue Jackets over Washington in 7 (BJ)
    Preds over Avalanche in 4 (Avalanche)
    Ducks over Sharks in 7 (I like both)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Murray-- what a paddle save...
    Murray-- what a paddle save...

Gains the momentum with such a brilliant save, and the Pens make it 2-0. LOVING this game so far. Think I've been shouting in awe just a little too loud...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They're just too powerful ...
    I'd love to watch the Golden Knights/Kings game tonight, but I have work tomorrow and can't afford staying up until 1 AM for it. Hell, I'd probably be asleep halfway through the game if I tried, I'm sure.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    malkin's goal= unreal
    malkin's goal= unreal

Aaaabsolutely unreal. A 1 on 2 backhand beauty, right after killing a penalty? Doesn't get much better than that.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited April 2018 Posts: 4,416
    edited April 2018 Posts: 4,416
    https://giphy.com/gifs/fDO2Nk0ImzvvW

Me turning on the Penguins game for the first time.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Pretty much, @Last_Rat_Standing ... and do you guys notice that Hagelin kinda has crazy Daniel Craig eyes?

Or is that just me?

Either way, glad to have him back and healthy (last year he battled through injuries).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    the Jets are dominating right now too (10 shots to 3)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    however, watching the Jets/Minn game... it's like watching second tier hockey compared with Pens/Flyers... kinda bored.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    it's amazing: in the regular season, there were only TWO POINTS that separated the Pens and Philly..

But one team looks immortal; the other looks like a stumbling block of s***t.
    Pens are making really short work of the Flyers right now...
    This game is cartoonishly one-sided. Murray's holding them off real well tonight. And yet ANOTHER bat-out-of-the-air goal by Crosby? Guy's a legend.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @Creasy47 -- he is... by Dog, last year, on paper, they never should have beat dynamic Nashville, but 87 led example... He is amongst the greats
    I knew him heating up these past few weeks were going to translate well going into the playoffs; didn't think it'd be yet another goal like that, though. Always fun to watch.

5-0 blowout thus far, and then you have the polar opposite game going on for the Jets and Wild. I'm guessing that one's a nail biter. The stream I'm catching cuts to the Jets game whenever one period ends, so I only get to catch the last few minutes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yeah Jets/Wild is kinda even and kinda boring. No consistent or ongoing dynamic plays...
    At least someone scored finally before the second intermission.

WOW! 7-0, hat trick for Crosby and four points on the night for Guentzel already. Insane.