The NHL Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    they hafta get the goal before third period starts
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,486
    Indeed. It's still winnable if not, but I'd say the next goal will definitely decide this one. Elliot went from playing like swiss cheese in game one to being a brick wall in this one.

Pens were endlessly promoting the fact that they couldn't get complacent and cruise into this game, but that seems to be what they're doing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47 -- that stop on Crosby could be the turning point-- and Philly wins this game off of that...

But Philly is just not got good enough to beat the Pens...

If you see my predictions on this thread, you'll see; Pens 4 Philly 1
    Very well could be. I'm still guessing Pens win the series 4-1, but I figured that loss was going to inevitably come on the road. Reallllly hoping they don't get shutout at home tonight.
    Yeah, I think the Flyers have this game. Three power plays in a row (arguably one of their best aspects this season) and not one goal. Shame.

EDIT: They definitely do. Up 3-0 now on only 14 shots. Murray is just night and day different from that last game.

Also just noticed Kadri got a three-game suspension for boarding/charging Tommy Wingels. That's got to suck.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I was calling Kadri for three... However, no one is mentioning the tag team of Chara and Wingels on Marner-- and that's when Kadri took his run.

Wingels elbow was up on Marner, and you see his head snap back.

Kadri's was punishable, but so was Wingels hit on Marner.

And yes, there goes some sandpaper and talent. He won over half his face-offs in Game One...

Marleau will be playing center on the second line now.

And Komarov has been moved to the top line; Hyman (best player from game one), has been dropped to second line.

I'm guessing they think Komarov can create space and be an agitator, taking attention away from Nylander and Mathews...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tonight is a late puck-drop-- 8 p.m. my time... I just sent a text to a buddy. I said: we need to throw the body into the Bruins, and throw it hard for ten minutes... But unlike years past, I'm not sure who those players are on the Leafs. Komarov, maybe... Plekanac coz he has bad blood with the Bruins (from his years in Montreal)... But other than that...???

The Bruins game plan is sound: take away space by taking the body. And they know this plan has little push back since Toronto is not a physical team...

We can't beat them with speed, coz they took away the space. Adjustment: hit them... But with Kadri out, we don't have a lot of hit-men...
    Hopefully Toronto stuns most everyone and kicks some ass tonight, just like the turnaround from game one to game two of the Pens/Flyers game (which I'm still feeling sore about).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Big Boy hockey. Our boys are just that, boys
    RIP Maple Leafs :(
    To be fair, the Bruins are just ridiculous this season. I felt bad for anyone that had to take them on, and can easily see them ending up at the Finals.
    I dislike Boston sports...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hate Boston, but they’re a text book playoff team.

Hopefully the Pens down them.

RIP Leafs, indeed
    Hey, at least it isn’t a shutout now. That was the one thing I took solace in with yesterday’s game: Hornqvist scored, so at least they weren’t shut out (on home ice, too)

Playoffs have been rough for a lot of teams so far and we’re just two games in. They’re either neck in neck games or absolutely one-sided blowouts.
    Damn, glad I checked today's schedule, didn't realize the Pens are playing in less than two hours. Would've been bitter to have missed it; can't stand early games.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    you and me both! Luckily there's an ice/snow storm sweeping across our city, so, there's really nothing else I can do today!
    Going off these first eight minutes, Pens have no shots on goal, so they're really going to need to rely on Murray today.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes, although they've collapsed well in front of him. They have to weather that storm that Philly's fired up in front of their home crowd. In fact the Pens look like they're playing a really boring D-game to steal the energy from the building!

And then I think they will pounce on mistakes.
    That they do. I hope something clicks and it's not another walloping. Could be like last game (although it was for the Flyers) where they weren't getting many shots, but capitalizing whenever they did. I'm hopeful.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And another thing, it's not as if Philly plays an explosively dangerous game--- they're not very dynamic-- as I write this, Sid!!!!

THE SECOND I WALK AWAY! Always without fail, if I walk out of the room for a millisecond, the Pens WILL score.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Keep walking , then! Ha!

That was a dum penalty.
    Right? I need to go sit outside for the next three hours, apparently!

Glad they showed a replay of it, beautiful wraparound. I know I'm not the only one with the issue, but almost any video/goal replay that the NHL uploads, the video player never, ever works for me. It's annoying because I'm almost guaranteed to not see a goal if they don't replay it live, or it's not uploaded through some separate video player.

Pens need to tweak their power play more. Sullivan said he wanted them to make a point of shooting the puck more, but they haven't done it with their first power play.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    absolutely-- good puck movement, not enough shooting.

And Murray is looking like the guy from game one.
    Whereas the Flyers are just shooting non-stop, regardless of whether or not it's a good time to shoot. Yes, Murray is looking fantastic today. Much better penalty kill for the Pens, too.

Whiny Flyers fans complaining about the refs trying to gift the game to the Pens (typical anti-Pens sentiment), even though the Flyers are dominating in shots and have more power plays. Funny how that works!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    never liked the fans in Philly-- always been loud sucks!... I think the pens are just going to keep trying to suck the energy out of the building.

But they can't get complacent-- like you're saying, they're firing from all angles. One of those will eventually creep across the line.

OR it'll be one of those games where Murray sees everything and it'll frustrate Philly further. After all, the kid has 8-1 record after a playoff loss-- no wonder they're throwing everything at him.

And if they can't beat him, he'll be in their heads!
    I hope they do. Some of the cockiest fans in the league and I'm really not sure why.

I'm fine with one of those games where the Flyers simply cannot get a puck past Murray, and the Pens win by the tiniest of margins, but we'll see.

Pens score on the power play, that's more like it!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    love it!... Lets see what the push back will be.
    First playoff goal for Brassard as a Penguin, too. It's looking just like last game, only the teams have switched: Flyers are playing a good bit better, but it's the goalies making all of the difference.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    getting FRUSTRATEDDDDDD