The NHL Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Caps are bad with firing any old puck at the net, regardless of whether or not the shot is warranted. It's why they had, what, 58 shots or so in the total game? Insane, and I'm sure most of those were poor blue line shots that had no chance of going in.
    Update: I will be at game 4. Can't wait.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Could well be a great game to go for-- bring your broom!
    Rooting for Toronto yet again, let's make it 2-1 tonight!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FINALLY!!
    A LEAD!!!!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Had them on their heels at the end
    If Andersen can hold off for another 40, or the offense can start lighting it up, you guys are set.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No penalty, but ANDERSEN
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,503
    Toronto took that lead right back, didn't they?! Great work. They've got something to prove tonight and home and they're doing it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That was a beauty . Pushback that we failed to do in games 1 n 2
    This game is bound to be a wild back and forth, I can already tell.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ugh, that’s on Andersen
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Breathing
    Keep your composure, not much long to go now after Matthews (finally) started scoring. I know their top offensive guys were a main issue in the first two games, nice to see it being rectified as they needed their presence, Matthews especially.

Was just rewatching that initial tying goal by Chara; you think that hockey stick of his gives him a slight advantage at all? I know the guy is as tall as an apartment complex, so he has a waiver to play with a slightly bigger one, but I've always wondered if it's any "easier" for them to score goals while rocking a stick with a couple inches added on.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Absolutely it’s an advantage— in every way: try and get around him, easy poke check; actually get by him, he can give you a sly tug without putting you on your ass...

And then lean on a stick with a little more flex for the bigger man? The release is an automatic compared to a slingshot
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tonight: do the BJs pushing Washington to the brink?
    peter wrote: »
    Tonight: do the BJs pushing Washington to the brink?

I certainly hope so, but that goal could be made much easier (or worse) since the Caps confirmed Holtby is starting tonight over Grubauer. The Minnesota series will be shaken up, too, as one of their key players Parise is out for the rest of the playoffs with a broken sternum.

Still rooting for CBJ/Minnesota tonight, and I'm hoping the Kings don't get completely swept, either.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I didn't get the update on Parise until just now-- holy crap. That guy's got good pedigree (his Dad was a solid two-way player/grinder in the NHL and Team Canada).

Although I like Minny, I have to sentimentally go with Winnipeg (long suffering fans who had their team taken away from them; great fans, great hockey town).

But Washington I have no love for.
    I really don't have any sort of stake in Minnesota/Winnipeg, I just have opted for the former to win, so I won't be upset with whatever the outcome is.

Same: zero love for Washington, I root against them from the opening of the season to the moment they inevitably get kicked out of the playoffs. Rooting for another loss tonight to show them that goaltending wasn't their sole issue.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ha! Love it Creasy-- our team-grudges!!

(inexplicable to others, irrational and eccentric, but makes a helluva lot of sense to us! My wife thinks I'm crazy at this time of year-- my enflamed hatred for some teams, passion for others... And all she can do as I scream at the TV, froth building at the corners of my lips, is shake her head and give me a re-assuring pat on the shoulders (as she wishes June to arrive-- fast))
    Right? It may be tough to understand from an outsider's perspective but it's so wildly true when it comes to sports. Never understood why my Dad would flip out at some stupid sports game until I followed the NHL, and now I clearly understand why.

Momentarily debated watching the Blue Jackets/Caps game but I think I'll just stick with the live highlights. I'm too superstitious, don't trust that I'll be anything but bad luck while watching it!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You've probably already told me, but what part of the US are you from?
    You've probably already told me, but what part of the US are you from?

The east coast, a little town in West Virginia. Makes those west coast games impossible to enjoy, starting at 10-10:30 PM.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Same here-- I'm from Toronto, and I hafta catch highlights the next morning.... West Virgina--

Geographically you have a lot of great NHL teams in your vicinity!
    Same here-- I'm from Toronto, and I hafta catch highlights the next morning.... West Virgina--

Geographically you have a lot of great NHL teams in your vicinity!

Bet Toronto is nice for hockey love because Canadians are huge on the sport; you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of hockey fans in these parts, sadly. It's mostly football and Nascar fans, neither of which remotely intrigue me.

I do, and that's both a blessing and a curse! I've always wanted to sign up for the NHL TV to catch all the games live, in HD, etc., but due to the vicinity, they blackout anyone in the area, so I'd get no Penguins, Capitals or Blue Jackets games. Not that the latter two bug me, but I won't sign up for a service that lets me view zero live games of my favorite team. Same goes with playoff games, sadly.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes Creasy-- look at how we responded to the terrible bus crash... It's our national sport-- so many great hockey cities and rivalries...

But hockey is growing wonderfully, and that's great for the game (in the US and Europe-- Finland has become a dangerous foe in the last decade, and the US is our main challenge on the road to international glory!!).

This is truly a great sport; I've had the honor of playing it and coaching it.

It moves so fast and takes so much skill, heart and brute force.

I do love it.
    Was so sad to hear about the crash, what an awful tragedy that was. The support from the hockey world was incredibly united and endearing though, warms the heart.

It truly is a great sport, always enjoyable and thrilling to watch, even more so in person.

Speaking of: let's see who strikes first in this CBJ game.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    fingers crossed-- CBJ!!
    This is looking ugly for the Jackets in the second. Watching goalie Bob flailing on the ice is tough to take.
    Two back to back goals in quick succession isn’t going to help them for sure. Hoping they can tally one soon.

EDIT: Not watching it live; I'm guessing one of those was disallowed? That or these highlights are wonky and not updating properly.