The NHL Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So what do we think about tonight: will the Bruins and Blue Jackets go up 3-1 and be that much closer to the second round, or will the Maple Leafs and Capitals tie things up and force a Game 6?

It also seems that the Devils may not have defenseman Vatanen for Game 5 tomorrow, while Couturier is possible for Game 5 against the Pens. Hornqvist is confirmed to be out for the Pens in Game 5, too.

No idea, not following that sport.

@DaltonCraig007 @M_Balje what do you think?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    So what do we think about tonight: will the Bruins and Blue Jackets go up 3-1 and be that much closer to the second round, or will the Maple Leafs and Capitals tie things up and force a Game 6?

It also seems that the Devils may not have defenseman Vatanen for Game 5 tomorrow, while Couturier is possible for Game 5 against the Pens. Hornqvist is confirmed to be out for the Pens in Game 5, too.

Bruins and Capitals win. Doesn't matter if Couturier plays and Hornqvist is out, Philly is done.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

You should. One of the better sports in today's world.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Who is that? Balje?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,512

Bruins and Capitals win. Doesn't matter if Couturier plays and Hornqvist is out, Philly is done.

I'd like to think the Caps won after letting Holtby get the start, but it did go to overtime once again, so it was anyone's game at that point. Game 3's double overtime was a big battle of the goaltenders. Really hoping that series doesn't get tied up tonight.

And apparently Matt Murray was injured slightly in practice today, which isn't good. They say the athletic trainer checked him out, Murray gathered himself and is still practicing, however. Hoping it's nothing serious and he's good to go tomorrow.
    Murray is immortal come playoff time. I have no idea why he seems shaky during the season.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Boston took tonight. I thing Washington will take tonight— but lose the series.
    Murray is immortal come playoff time. I have no idea why he seems shaky during the season.

They confirmed he was just shaken up and isn't injured, thankfully.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    i like the way toronto is playing-- after that flukey first goal. We are, for now, making Boston pay with speed. Speed kills (just ask Los Angeles)
    That's what they need. At least they tied it and held the tie for the entire first period; now they need to come out front and get the lead early. Like you said, beat them with speed, tire them out and ensure they can never catch up to their level of play. I think Toronto will be working with some good momentum if they tie the series tonight.

EDIT: Bruins up 2-1 now. If there's a time for Toronto to win, it's tonight; it's still not a blowout, the game is close, and Boston is without Bergeron tonight.
  • peterpeter Toronto

@Thunderfinger, you should be following-- Comrade Ovechkin is in deep. If he doesn't get into the second round, he may be called to a meeting with Vladimir. A meeting he may never leave...
    Just got back from Columbus. That was ugly. The Jackets looked completely off their game and the Caps' defense was excellent.
    That’s tough. Hope you were able to still enjoy some of your time there.
    Sure, it was fun. I always have a good time at Jackets games.

But the atmosphere didn't seem quite as electric as last year against the Pens. The poor start to this game made it hard to get into it.

I told my wife at least I'm glad we didn't have to go to a second overtime to be disappointed and I can get to bed and not be too sluggish for work.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Sure, it was fun. I always have a good time at Jackets games.

But the atmosphere didn't seem quite as electric as last year against the Pens. The poor start to this game made it hard to get into it.

I told my wife at least I'm glad we didn't have to go to a second overtime to be disappointed and I can get to bed and not be too sluggish for work.

Anytime you leave the arena after a loss there's always that long empty drive home. I couldn't imagine doing it during the week. That's why I only go to Saturday games. Columbus did look off last night.
    Sean Couturier is confirmed for Game Five - going to be a good one, but I have hopes the Pens can finish them off tonight.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47 they will.
    Flyers looking much faster tonight. Should make for a less one-sided game.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My thinking is: too little, too late
    peter wrote: »
    My thinking is: too little, too late

No doubt. Even if they somehow won tonight, there's no way they're climbing out of the hole that is a 3-1 deficit.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Matt Murray may look like the Unabomber-- but he's a giant.
    He's been red hot during this series so I'll forgive him on that first goal. Time to play catchup in the second.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thing about the Pens-- they've been here before x 11...!
    Oof, looking like it's the end of the series for Minnesota, 4-0 and the 1st period's not even over.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    that 4-3 sucked-- shoot. the. puck.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    the noose is closing
    that 4-3 sucked-- shoot. the. puck.

Either red hot on the PP or not taking aaaany shots like that one. Tied up on a penalty kill too; terrible. Murray letting in those last minute goals will be the death of me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ugh..... Letang will wear goat's horns if...
    ugh..... Letang will wear goat's horns if...

I'd say he's been the most inconsistent player on the roster this season, regardless of points. Can't stress it enough: he's either contributing takeaways, penalties, bad positioning, etc., or he's an elite defenseman doing what needs to be done. Scarcely in the middle.

Oh well, I'll take a 2-2 score currently - at least they aren't losing.