The NHL Thread

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Hoping the Panthers don't poop the bed. Going up 2-0 would be huge
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hoping the Panthers don't poop the bed. Going up 2-0 would be huge

Can never rule out the pesky Lightning.

I hope the Panthers take the series.

I enjoyed Matthews performance last night. Three points. The winning goal. It's what the leaders should be doing...

I do think Domi and Bertuzzi make the top line more dynamic, but sometimes they do defer to Matthews too much (Bertuzzi had an excellent couple looks last night, but passed to his center, who had two men on him).

It's nice to take one from Boston, but my feelings are tempered. This was a strong victory, a strong bounce-back (both from the loss of game one, and from the obstacles in game two), but they've done this before, only to lose focus, scrap any strategy and get smoked in a series.

I'm taking this year game to game and I can't look ahead in fear of getting my heart broken. Again. 😂...

I'm excited to see how the Jets and Avalanche dance tonight... This could be the makings of a great series (although I'm assuming both coaches will have their teams playing a closer checking game)...
    Though I’m rooting for the opposite, I feel Vegas will take out Dallas and Colorado will take out Winnipeg; recent playoff success versus lack of playoff success often has a huge bearing on results. Lots of teams that have great regular years just can’t translate it to the postseason, across the board in all sports. If there’s anything I’ve learned, the “best” team (stats-wise and all) seldom wins the big one.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Dallas always falters come playoff time and this year will be no exception. Sad because I always root for them in the playoffs. They're my second favorite team
    The bed was not pooped last night
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    What a save from Bob! Wow talk about putting your body out there to make the save. Can the Lightning take charge (sorry I had to) on home ice?

A shame about Demko being injured, the Canucks playoff hopes might have taken a severe hit. Can they bounce back in Nashville and be the team they were in the regular season?

It was a bit by the Maple Leafs...just when you think they have it figured it out...uggggh!

It was a sleepy game and then Domi decides to wake the bear and next thing you know 2-1 series lead Boston. The announcers were raving about Marner and I thought he was okay, nothing too spectacular. Sammy did a good job and made the saves. The Leafs looked nervous to start and never really controlled things. Our fans were not a good support for them either. Too many corporate shills and not enough passionate fans.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thedove wrote: »

It was a bit by the Maple Leafs...just when you think they have it figured it out...uggggh!

It was a sleepy game and then Domi decides to wake the bear and next thing you know 2-1 series lead Boston. The announcers were raving about Marner and I thought he was okay, nothing too spectacular. Sammy did a good job and made the saves. The Leafs looked nervous to start and never really controlled things. Our fans were not a good support for them either. Too many corporate shills and not enough passionate fans.

💯 💯 💯

All of the passionate Leaf fans are stuck watching outside
  • peterpeter Toronto

All of the passionate Leaf fans are stuck watching outside

Even one of our announcers berated the home town crowd. Just lame…
    Well that was painful to watch. I don't see the Bruins letting a team come back from three down in the last two years. Another wasted year with this core. A case study on how talent alone can't get it done, that we need to have a will and skill in order to win.

Kudos for the Lightning and Islanders for not being swept.

Do the Stars also go and steal one on the road?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Leafs have clearly mentally checked out already. No way they move past this round. Seeing the players imploding on the bench and attacking one another is never a good sign.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Leafs have clearly mentally checked out already. No way they move past this round. Seeing the players imploding on the bench and attacking one another is never a good sign.

Absolutely. They’re done.
    Mark my words, they take the next two and then get smoked in Game 7 that would be a Leaf thing to do.

A telling stat, they are winless in their last 6 home playoff games. You aren't winning a series if you can't win at home. Commentators saying Keefe was struggling to get his matchups??? He has last line change, how hard should it be?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mark my words, they take the next two and then get smoked in Game 7 that would be a Leaf thing to do.

A telling stat, they are winless in their last 6 home playoff games. You aren't winning a series if you can't win at home. Commentators saying Keefe was struggling to get his matchups??? He has last line change, how hard should it be?

It just feels like this entire experiment is finally collapsing on itself. That was some of the worst hockey I've ever watched. It was shameful. Keefe saysnot to question their effort, but the amount of bone headed, sloppy passes, and lack of urgent skating really did show a team lacking in effort the coach says was there...
    Canadian teams bringing in the usual disappointment. It's among the most predictable things in sports.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Canadian teams bringing in the usual disappointment. It's among the most predictable things in sports.

I'm holding out hope for the Canucks to continue to thrive, though with goaltender injuries they might not be able to get too far. The Jets need to right the ship and have the talent to do it. Hellybuck has looked human and without him standing on his head I don't see the Jets overcoming a 3-1 series deficit.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 29 Posts: 40,492
    I always love seeing the Caps eliminated. I've no doubt my Penguins or Detroit would've fared better against NY; maybe not winning the series (Detroit might've accomplished it) but it wouldn't have been a sweep.

I also love seeing Sid have a better +/- for the playoffs than Ovi did, who didn't accrue even a single point.
    I hate this feeling. Shoulda won on Saturday
    @Creasy47 there is a changing of the guard afoot. Ovi while still capable of greatness the moments of these great moments are fewer and farther between.

With the mission that Crosby was on in the final 10 or so games, it would have been something to see him back in the playoffs.

@LastRatStanding will the team feel that same way and bring a new passion to the next game. You have to think the former champs won't be an easy out.
    Time to prepare for Boston. However, my blood pressure needs a break so I hope Toronto wins tonight to extend it a few days
    You are welcome @Last_Rat_Standing Toronto pushes it to a game 6 and if they can find a way to win on home ice after 6 consecutive playoff losses a game 7 might be due for the weekend.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You are welcome @Last_Rat_Standing Toronto pushes it to a game 6 and if they can find a way to win on home ice after 6 consecutive playoff losses a game 7 might be due for the weekend.

Woll was a cool customer.

Domi was incredible in the face offs.

Why does this bloody team have to get beaten up and trail 3-1 before urgency kicks in?

If they played with this type of speed and all hands-on-deck mentality, this series would have been a nail biter and far more competitive.

And now they must win two more games in a row... I'm not optimistic since I haven't seen too much consistency in this team, especially in playoffs (other than the consistency of usually being knocked out in the first round).

Oh well, I'll take the victory as a fan. And I hope they can pull out at least one more win on Thursday...
    Leafs about to follow last year's Panthers against Boston

Lose game 1
    Win game 2
    Lose 3 and 4 at home.
    Win game 5 in OT in Boston scored by someone named Matthew

6 and 7????
    The script writes itself. Swayman has an 0-5 record in close out games. Do you go with him in Game 6? If the Leafs win Game 6 do you go back to him in Game 7?

How mentally strong is Boston, do the memories of last year come back with a "not this again" attitude or do they shut out the noise and get it done.

Which Leafs team shows up Thursday? Can Woll do it again?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 1 Posts: 8,538
    The script writes itself. Swayman has an 0-5 record in close out games. Do you go with him in Game 6? If the Leafs win Game 6 do you go back to him in Game 7?

How mentally strong is Boston, do the memories of last year come back with a "not this again" attitude or do they shut out the noise and get it done.

Which Leafs team shows up Thursday? Can Woll do it again?

I think Woll is game. It's the rest of the team that worries me.
    Leafs about to follow last year's Panthers against Boston

Lose game 1
    Win game 2
    Lose 3 and 4 at home.
    Win game 5 in OT in Boston scored by someone named Matthew

6 and 7????

The prophecy is being fulfilled
    I am slowly getting sucked in to believing. Or is that BELEAFING. LOL!

I can't figure out Boston, only 2 shots in period 1 in Game 5 and only 1 shot in period 1 of game 6. Are they gripping the sticks too tightly? How have the Leafs won 3 games with a PP firing at a 5% success rate. LOL!

• peterpeter Toronto
    I know what you’re feeling @thedove . And, liked the jilted lover, I keep going back, knowing things are likely to breakdown again, and this bliss is simply a mirage, lol!
    peter wrote: »
    I know what you’re feeling @thedove . And, liked the jilted lover, I keep going back, knowing things are likely to breakdown again, and this bliss is simply a mirage, lol!

A beautiful way to describe sports fandom!