The NHL Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Toronto finally did it! Let's see if their success fizzles out in round two or they go all the way now.
    Several results that I enjoyed which were also quite unexpected. Praise the NHL for being more fun and unpredictable than other sports!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    😁
    The NHL post-season is ALWAYS unpredictable and I'm always here for it.

Now, what's a more embarrassing exit: the record-setting Bruins losing in the first round or Tampa Bay finally letting Toronto jump into the second round after so many years?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Now, what's a more embarrassing exit: the record-setting Bruins losing in the first round or Tampa Bay finally letting Toronto jump into the second round after so many years?

Bruins for sure. Toronto was hands down a better team than Tampa this season. If there was any season for the Leafs to win one, this was it as Tampa just didn't have the magic as previous seasons. Toronto losing this year in R1 would have been an epic failure.

Boston had the best regular season team in NHL history. Played a team (my Panthers) that got in due to a weak schedule to close it out, and did what they needed to do. Combined with Pittsburgh falling in the last week of the season. I posted my frustration last week when we got smoked in Game 4 and went back to Boston down 3-1. Boston needed 1 win, only 1, with two OT games and a lead in the 3rd period of game 6 twice and was 59 seconds away last night from moving on.
    I think I'd agree with you there - Toronto was bound to make it past eventually, and while the playoffs are an entirely different behemoth, going from a record-setting number of wins and points, after a season that featured only 17 losses, to then get ejected round one after four losses in seven games is quite staggering.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I think the first round playoffs this year had more drama and more thrilling games than previous years. Great to see Seattle get thru and know that a new champion will be crowned.

I am happy my Leafs got the monkey off their backs, can they move on? Not sure.

Really looking forward to the second round.
    It is nice to see fresh blood for once in the remaining teams. The last winner being Carolina in 06 and then NJ in 03. I had the Oilers and Rangers in the Finals with the Rangers winning.

Now that we know that's not happening, I'm going to go with Vegas-Carolina in the Finals.
    My heart thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Rangers lose last night in such crumbling fashion.
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.

Well, you can always count on the Wild to crap the bed in round one.
    Seano wrote: »

I certainly feel this. But if the Maple Leafs can win a round and the Cubs can win the World Series, anything’s possible! Rooting for the Devils to take it all even though they’re not my personal team. I’ve taken a liking to them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @FoxRox ... Easy to like, aren't they? Speed and controlled aggression. Lindy Ruff is a high IQ coach and some of his old Buffalo teams never should have been as successful as they were. He's got these kids fired up.
    peter wrote: »
    @FoxRox ... Easy to like, aren't they? Speed and controlled aggression. Lindy Ruff is a high IQ coach and some of his old Buffalo teams never should have been as successful as they were. He's got these kids fired up.

Indeed! Just seeing a team like the Devils do well is a nice change of pace. Whenever my teams in sports don’t make it far, I tend to root for teams who have never won a title or have had a long drought. Just makes it more refreshing to me. Except Vegas - I don’t like them haha.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »

Indeed! Just seeing a team like the Devils do well is a nice change of pace. Whenever my teams in sports don’t make it far, I tend to root for teams who have never won a title or have had a long drought. Just makes it more refreshing to me. Except Vegas - I don’t like them haha.

Agreed with everything you said— including a dislike of Vegas!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Florida! Wow! Structure executed with outstanding speed and physicality.

Toronto, for once, also didn’t shy away from being hit and returned as good as they got. But they couldn’t keep pace, nor structure.

If a goal went in during the first ten minutes, the pendulum could have stayed with Toronto. But Bobrovsky was incredible and held the Fort, then his boys did the rest. Very impressed.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Then @FoxRox you must surely be cheering for Toronto!!! LOL haven't won a cup in my lifetime! I am 53 years old and you can tack on 2 more years since they last won. 1967! Wow!

But I do like the Devils and how they play. Two great coaches going head to head with Brindmour and Ruff.

As a Leaf fan I wonder if Keefe gets out-coached by Maurice. Last might despite having last change, the Leafs ended up with bad match ups that favoured the Panthers. Should be interesting.
    I would be very pleased if Toronto went all the way ;) in fact it’d probably still be the most objectively exciting result.
    My wild got eliminated so it be interesting who wins it all
    Seano wrote: »

Yeah we lost again @Seano
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Panthers are the most opportunistic team playing. They clog and wait.

When the Leafs have a brain fart, the Panthers pounce and convert. Then-

They sit back and clog and wait again— doing it with tremendous speed.

Toronto is my team and I think they’ve played really well. But the Panthers have simplified their game and then execute the plan with elite intensity.

And I texted my buddy and said they’re targeting Knies. Two minutes after this text, they knocked him out of the game. I’d have done the same thing. This kid was becoming a problem. His goal last game was high caliber and balls combo. They banged him up and took him out; now one third of a power line is gone.

Hate to say it, but, that was surgical on the Panthers part. And someone should have dropped the gloves BEFORE Knies left. But it happened all very quickly, so I’ll give the Buds a break on that.

I do think Toronto has the talent to win two in Florida, so there is, I hope, plenty more of this very fast and entertaining series.
    @peter

You are hands down the most sensible Leafs fan I've encountered along with someone with whom I work with. I don't think the Leafs are done. I can still see this series going 6 or 7.

You should see the scummy things that Leafs fans post online. I'm glad to see that there are a few within your fanbase that are level headed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing … thanks for this.

Leafs Nation is an embarrassment— generally speaking. Not a fan of the fans, 😂.

The Panthers are the most opportunistic team playing. They clog and wait.

When the Leafs have a brain fart, the Panthers pounce and convert. Then-

They sit back and clog and wait again— doing it with tremendous speed.

Toronto is my team and I think they’ve played really well. But the Panthers have simplified their game and then execute the plan with elite intensity.

And I texted my buddy and said they’re targeting Knies. Two minutes after this text, they knocked him out of the game. I’d have done the same thing. This kid was becoming a problem. His goal last game was high caliber and balls combo. They banged him up and took him out; now one third of a power line is gone.

Hate to say it, but, that was surgical on the Panthers part. And someone should have dropped the gloves BEFORE Knies left. But it happened all very quickly, so I’ll give the Buds a break on that.

I do think Toronto has the talent to win two in Florida, so there is, I hope, plenty more of this very fast and entertaining series.

Bang on! I can picture the Leafs winning the next two. They can't keep out-chancing and not get rewarded for it. I hope that Bennett doesn't become the focus and we worry about settling scores instead of scoring.

The only troubling stat I heard recently was 13% of the teams down 2-0 have come back to win a series.
    Any thoughts on the suspensions handed out to the Oilers and Golden Knights?

Can the Leafs continue the impossible and earn a win tonight?
    thedove wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the suspensions handed out to the Oilers and Golden Knights?

Can the Leafs continue the impossible and earn a win tonight?

Spoiler Alert: They couldn't.
    After getting almost all the results I wanted in the first round, it’s looking pretty opposite unfortunately for this second round.
    Same for me @FoxRox I was expecting the Devils to put up more of a fight against the Canes. I guess their young inexperience didn't serve them well. As for my beloved Leafs I will be watching with interest. Clearly changes are a coming, but how dramatic?

So it's Canes VS Panthers in the East and an un-decided West.

Any predictions for the West? I am hoping for Kracken VS Oliers but any of the potential match ups will be good ones.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 12,264
    I've got the Panthers winning it all at this point. It doesn't matter what one does in the regular season as long as one makes it to the postseason; they are the hottest, best-looking team to me right now, and momentum is everything when it comes to capturing a championship. Unless they peaked too early, I like their odds best. I don't have a strong preference between them or the Hurricanes. Vegas is the only team left that I dislike, but I'm guessing they finish off the Oilers either Game 6 or 7. Kraken and Stars has been truly back and forth, could go either way, but I'm picking the Stars I guess.
    Alot of traditionalists are fuming about having an all southern market final four. But people shouldn't throw Dallas into being a bad market. I've been to seven games there and that is a very good market. Similar to Tampa and Nashville. Even here in South Florida, it's shades of the 96 cup run. The building and the overall environment has never been better and louder.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m excited for Florida. Dynamic players that mix speed, skill and grit (and the most Canadian-filled team, if I’m not mistaken); they’re savages and I hope they take it all.

But at this point, in the Final Four, it’s anyone’s Cup; it’s a mixture of tenacity and team fortitude plus elements of luck, like bounces, injuries, refs and their calls….