The NHL Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    thedove wrote: »
    Great discussion gents! It is a great time of the year. Each game seems to mean more for some of the playoff bound teams. The also-rans are usually up for being spoilers and some, Blackhawks last year, can impact the playoffs. Still amazing to think the Blackhawks beating the Penguins got the Panthers in. The Panthers make it to the finals!

As for my Leafs, it's going to be weird. They are going to likely be the lower seed in their match-up which means we are expecting an upset for them to win. If they don't win, Keefe will have coached his last game. Tinkering will happen. They've committed to Matthews and Nylander. You could trade Marner but he has a full no move contract now.

We should do some playoff predictions once the playoffs roll around.

Round One across the board should be intense, no matter the match ups.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Whatever placement is in now is how I think it'll be. Maybe Vegas moves up to 3rd in the Pacific but that's it. I think I'll be the Rangers beating Boston in the ECF and Dallas beating Edmonton in the WCF. So Rangers-Stars finals
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Leafs go and shite the bed against the Devils. What a train wreck of a loss. This is what makes them such a frustrating team. Streaks of wonderful hockey and then they let the Devils come in and take the win. Credit to Allen for stoning them, but still they shouldn't have let that one get away from them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Leafs go and shite the bed against the Devils. What a train wreck of a loss. This is what makes them such a frustrating team. Streaks of wonderful hockey and then they let the Devils come in and take the win. Credit to Allen for stoning them, but still they shouldn't have let that one get away from them.

Agreed. They bullied MacJesus and crew and played like a playoff ready team, and then... New Jersey spanks them.

Woll letting in the first goal on the first shot, two games running, makes my gut churn...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    With the way Tampa is playing, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump Toronto for 3rd in the Atlantic
  • peterpeter Toronto
    With the way Tampa is playing, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump Toronto for 3rd in the Atlantic

Neither would I. Look at the pedigree on that team, from coach on down. They shouldn't be discounted or doubted. Dangerous team.
    I'm hoping for a Leafs Caps playoffs series! LOL!

I think the Lightning in the East and the Predators in the west might be sleeper teams to keep an eye on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pens on a two game win streak? Next stop: the Stanley Cup!

Oh, wait, maybe not...
    I'll put my tinfoil hat on and say that the Penguins will get the overall pick. Similar to how Chicago got Bedard last year
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't follow hockey at the level below the NHL at all so I do wonder what Macklin Celebrini brings to the table compared to other #1 picks in recent years.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't follow hockey at the level below the NHL at all so I do wonder what Macklin Celebrini brings to the table compared to other #1 picks in recent years.

Never heard of him honestly
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Never heard of him honestly

During the World Juniors, he was head and tails the best player, on a very weak Canadian line up. But, if memory serves, he was rated as one of the very top players during that tournament.

He plays for Boston U (a really great program), plays center, and I think he's a high IQ player. He may not have the lighting in a bottle zip of Bedard, but, at 17, he's already 6 foot and 190lbs and he's a "strong, out of the box" skater and how explosive power in his strides!! He's a gifted shooter (think Ovie), but is also knownjust as much for playmaking.

Purely my opinion, but it seems like, at 17, he's a more rounded player than many of his contemporaries. He plays a more mature game, if that makes sense. I kind of see the bull headed, stubbornness and drive of a Jonathan Toews, but with more point scoring ability.

NHL scouting has graced him an A, and I wouldn't be surprised if he started in the NHL next year (he may not take to it as fast as Bedard, but once he's comfortable, he will be a game changer for any team)
    Well I am planning the parade! The Leafs hang on to beat those pesky Panthers and send a message this year will be different. I say this every year but this year I mean it. LOL!

I tell you I have seen many hockey players and have seen some greats, I have to start putting Austin Matthews up there with some of the better players I have seen. The variety of skills this guy shows in goal scoring has been something to behold.

I hope he breaks through and has himself a playoff, because if he does, this Leafs team may go far.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Well I am planning the parade! The Leafs hang on to beat those pesky Panthers and send a message this year will be different. I say this every year but this year I mean it. LOL!

I tell you I have seen many hockey players and have seen some greats, I have to start putting Austin Matthews up there with some of the better players I have seen. The variety of skills this guy shows in goal scoring has been something to behold.

I hope he breaks through and has himself a playoff, because if he does, this Leafs team may go far.

💯 💯 💯… and unlike Ovie, Papi plays 200 feet of ice. He’s brilliant.
    We've been a dumpster fire for the last month. Wouldn't put too much stock in beating florida. I mean they got blown out by Montreal last night. Total night and day compared to last season where they fought tooth and nail just to get in the second to last day.
    Playoff time!
    I know it's not going to happen, but I'm pulling for the Canucks.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Bold strategy pulling for any team from Canada. Vegas will LTIR their way into another cup
    Here are my picks for the first round:
    • Panthers take the Lightning
    • Leafs take Bruins
    • Canes take the Islanders
    • Captials take the Rangers...pure guess just smells like it could be an upset.

In the West
    • Oilers take the Kings
    • Jets take the Avs
    • Knights take the Stars
    • Canucks take the Predators

The only upset I see in the west is the Knights taking out the Stars and growing the hate.

Bold strategy pulling for any team from Canada. Vegas will LTIR their way into another cup

That's why I said it's not happening - I can root for a team and know they won't win it all XP I hope not. Vegas has garnered an incredibly toxic fanbase.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Typical script for Toronto. Their compete was there, some "chances", but it's clear they're missing something, and Boston chipped away at them in the first period, and then just overwhelmed them with consistent, simple attacks and pressure, and, of course, Samsonov was less than mediocre. If the Leafs are lucky, this will go to five games, but I think I'm readying for a sweep of my Buds...

I like the Canucks and the Oilers. Outside of Peter, I cannot stand the Leafs or their fans. Same with Boston. However, if a Canada team were to snap the Cup drought, this is one of the better years.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I like the Canucks and the Oilers. Outside of Peter, I cannot stand the Leafs or their fans. Same with Boston. However, if a Canada team were to snap the Cup drought, this is one of the better years.

Toronto fans are either the sushi eaters in the lower bowl who leave for long stretches, never cheer, and probably have never skated in their lives, let alone played the game.

The upper bowls are the Yahoos who did play a lower level league and have a chip on their shoulders thinking they can play the sport better than the players, and coach better than the coaches.

I think our fans who fill stadiums in Buffalo and Florida throughout the season are the genuine good people who can't afford the bloated prices of tickets in the city.
    peter wrote: »

Toronto fans are either the sushi eaters in the lower bowl who leave for long stretches, never cheer, and probably have never skated in their lives, let alone played the game.

The upper bowls are the Yahoos who did play a lower level league and have a chip on their shoulders thinking they can play the sport better than the players, and coach better than the coaches.

I think our fans who fill stadiums in Buffalo and Florida throughout the season are the genuine good people who can't afford the bloated prices of tickets in the city.

But then we get ridiculed for having such cheaper tickets such as last week before the Panthers-Leafs game. Like we're sorry that in Florida we belive that we shouldn't have to take out a second mortgage and sacrifice our first born for hockey tickets.

I'm glad that you notice the difference first hand since you live up there. I work with a Leafs fan and he's a great person to discuss hockey with.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

But then we get ridiculed for having such cheaper tickets such as last week before the Panthers-Leafs game. Like we're sorry that in Florida we belive that we shouldn't have to take out a second mortgage and sacrifice our first born for hockey tickets.

I'm glad that you notice the difference first hand since you live up there. I work with a Leafs fan and he's a great person to discuss hockey with.

I hear you Last_Rat… Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment have made gouging into an art.

I’m glad your work buddy’s a good Leaf fan…!
    Supply and demand sets the prices. The lower demand the lower the price. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment are merely setting prices that people will pay. Other markets are not as lucky to have that many fans for their product.

I guess I am in the despised people who you can not stand. Sorry for that!

I do understand not liking a fan base. Back in the early 2000's I got to take in a playoff game between the Leafs and the Sabres. Wow they were in your face fans, at one point a guy got within 10 inches of my face screaming how the Sabres were going to kill the Leafs. A swarm of fans stood around me, my sister and a friend and chanted. It was intense. I thought it was over the top and borderline harassment. Since then I can't stand Sabres fans. Thankfully they haven't made the playoffs much since then.
    The more you interact with people you get a better gauge on them. I get the supply and demand concept and I'm not the type of person to single people out. It's the majority of people that I see on social media that are fans of Canadian teams that become gatekeepers of where certain markets belong and don't. I mean the amount of people that were ecstatic last week that Arizona finally moved but were pissed that they didn't go to Quebec City.

Without stable ownership and a great team over the past 5 years, we could have easily been the Arizona of the east and we still might be.
    Yes some didn't think it through, the team needed to be western based to keep the alignment of the league. I think Quebec may be happy this played out as it did as now I can the NHL letting Phoenix back in and then needing an east coast team to keep the 34 balanced. I don't know of too many east coast expansion options outside of Atlanta and I am not sure about returning to a market that has had a team twice already.

The Thrashers had poor ownership group in the tail end that bought the Hawks but wanted nothing to do with the Thrashers. Basically evicting them from the arena. It had nothing to do with fan support, unlike the Atlanta Flames of the 70s. Nowhere else in the league is in any danger of relocating as of now. I think they give Atlanta another shot.

I think they max out at 36. I already feel it's perfect at 32. If they do end up at 36, it's easily Atlanta and Quebec City in the east and Arizona and Houston in the west.

The NHL board of governor's already rejected the concept of going to Quebec City since they feel the market isn't large enough. Not speaking of fan support, that will continue to be fine. But just as an overall market revenue
    Told ya the Leafs would even the series! ;)

Wow that goal from Matthews was a beauty and the set up from Domi was top notch. Now we have a series, at least until the Leafs blow it again. LOL!

Can the Islanders rebound from being up 3-0 and losing a game? They say it's easier to come back from a blow out than a game where you miss by one or two. Does this mean the Kings will be ready to take game 2?

What excites us about tonight's games?