The NHL Thread

Comments

• edited April 2023 Posts: 12,243
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I might have mentioned before my team is the Blackhawks (my sports cities are Chicago & Baltimore). Gotta say, we’ve been pretty bad for a while, but those dynasty years make it all worth it!

The Bruins should win it all, but it seems like the “best” team rarely ends up with the championship in sports leagues…

I feel you there. That 2009 win and the back-to-back Cups for the Penguins makes it all worth it, even if they don't win again for another 10-20 years. It's sad but realistic. I'll never forget watching that 2OT goal by Kunitz to eliminate the Senators and send the Penguins to the Finals. It was magic.

Exactly. I just consider myself lucky all my teams have at least had some success and championships, even when the present is bleak. Many teams haven’t even tasted one title through all the major leagues.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I might have mentioned before my team is the Blackhawks (my sports cities are Chicago & Baltimore). Gotta say, we’ve been pretty bad for a while, but those dynasty years make it all worth it!

The Bruins should win it all, but it seems like the “best” team rarely ends up with the championship in sports leagues…

I feel you there. That 2009 win and the back-to-back Cups for the Penguins makes it all worth it, even if they don't win again for another 10-20 years. It's sad but realistic. I'll never forget watching that 2OT goal by Kunitz to eliminate the Senators and send the Penguins to the Finals. It was magic.

Exactly. I just consider myself lucky all my teams have at least had some success and championships, even when the present is bleak. Many teams haven’t even tasted one title through all the major leagues.

Being a fan of a team that hasn't won a cup since, say, the mid-70s, like the Flyers, must be crushing.
    Still better than nothing! My B-more O’s haven’t done anything since 1983. Of course I haven’t even been alive that long, but still! Droughts are rough haha, but good history is also better than nothing.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Being a fan of a team that hasn't won a cup since, say, the mid-70s, like the Flyers, must be crushing.

‘67 for my Leafs 😢
    peter wrote: »

‘67 for my Leafs 😢

Are your boys building up for another first round exit this season? I truly can't believe, with the talent they have amassed, that they don't make it way deeper in the playoffs than they have in the last few years. It's genuinely like they're cursed.
  • peterpeter Toronto

‘67 for my Leafs 😢

Are your boys building up for another first round exit this season? I truly can't believe, with the talent they have amassed, that they don't make it way deeper in the playoffs than they have in the last few years. It's genuinely like they're cursed.

@Creasy47 ... I think it's Keefe... A great minor league coach.

He has no nuance.

He was so rigid last night and anal about line matches-- that's not the Leafs game.

He should have made a statement and opened the game with Matthews line...

So, yes, heads Will roll because we will be ushered out in the first round (unless the other bench bosses can get through to Keefe, we are doomed. It's flipping sad).
    @peter, sometimes that's all it takes. I notice Sully with the Pens can do the same stuff - act stubborn, refuse to tweak lines that clearly aren't working, not giving AHL guys a chance when injuries strike and they're clearly hungry to play.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's frustrating when we see this... Another example: our young, Slick, puck moving D, Timothy Liljegren sat for game one?!?? This is a guy that makes crispy passes in movement to the forwards creating unstoppable speed and momentum, but he's in the press box, and someone like Luke Schenn is out on the ice (he's 220lbs of slowness). Just stupid.

Ang Bunting is a thug and I'm glad he got 3 games. If we are still playing when he gets back, I'd stick him in the press box for the remainder of the series.
    It's frustrating when we see this... Another example: our young, Slick, puck moving D, Timothy Liljegren sat for game one?!?? This is a guy that makes crispy passes in movement to the forwards creating unstoppable speed and momentum, but he's in the press box, and someone like Luke Schenn is out on the ice (he's 220lbs of slowness). Just stupid.

Ang Bunting is a thug and I'm glad he got 3 games. If we are still playing when he gets back, I'd stick him in the press box for the remainder of the series.

It's insanely frustrating. I'm nowhere near some sort of analytical expert when it comes to the game but sometimes players are clearly shown favoritism by the coach and it leads to easy losses and bad plays in the end. I can't count the amount of games the Pens could've won this season if not for some of the lineup decisions.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited April 2023 Posts: 4,382
    Big win for the Panthers last night. Hopefully they can keep it going at home
    I'll be rooting for the Panthers. Despite their historic season, I'll be surprised if the Bruins make it all the way to the Finals and win. Season success doesn't always translate to a similar post-season success.
    I'll be rooting for the Panthers. Despite their historic season, I'll be surprised if the Bruins make it all the way to the Finals and win. Season success doesn't always translate to a similar post-season success.

That’s what I’m saying - almost NEVER does the statistical best team win the championship in almost any sport, any year.

That’s what I’m saying - almost NEVER does the statistical best team win the championship in almost any sport, any year.

Exactly, like when Columbus swept the Lightning back in 2019.

See, and I remember EVERYONE making memes and fun of the Lightning for that, which I’m convinced became their motivation for winning a couple cups. Don’t poke the bear x)

See, and I remember EVERYONE making memes and fun of the Lightning for that, which I’m convinced became their motivation for winning a couple cups. Don’t poke the bear x)

Sometimes a fat embarrassment like that is all it takes. The Lightning went on to have their major successes and Columbus...well, the less said about them, the better.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Thanks for the posts and chats! Nice to see some intelligent hockey chat. No Canadiens fans yet. LOL! I hope the Leafs can bounce back tonight and make a statement in the process. I have been alive for 53 years and have yet to see them make it to a finals. My youngest has never seen them win a series. No wonder he cheers for other teams. LOL!

My series picks

Panthers over Bruins...likely wishful thinking
    Rangers over Devils
    Leafs over Lightning...heart over head!
    Canes over Islanders

WEST

Jets upset the Knights
    Avalanche over Kraken
    Wild over Stars
    Oilers over Kings

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 2023 Posts: 8,255
    I’m Canadian @thedove — from Toronto.

And I hope last night’s game wasn’t a mirage.

Yes, TB will come back doubly hard going back to their barn, but Toronto is younger and fresher (after all TB has marched into the finals for three years running. That’s a lot of wear and tear).

Last night speed killed.

EDIT: too early in the morning, I misread Canadiens as Canadians, 😂…
    That's too funny! I loved how the Leafs played the second game, hope they can deliver in game 3. I have scored tickets to game 5. Fingers crossed it's an elimination game.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @thedove ... Lucky scoring those tickets! Enjoy the game!

I have to assume that now both teams have the blowout win, we see a much tighter affair for game three. I just hope Toronto uses their speed, something they failed to utilize in that ugly game one (they allowed TB to maul and suffocate them).

Keefe can't get too stuck in his head with line matches. Wily Cooper has the last change and Keefe just has to have faith that any of his lines can do damage, whether it's that new number three line (out shot TB 9-1 when they were on the ice in the last game), line four (I think they had three points and did well shutting down TB), or lines one and two (five points apiece in Game 2).

They have the tools.

The D, especially Rielly, were solid in the last outing.

Can Samsonov keep consistent? He had a terrible road record during the season...

But trust in the makeup of this team and let the players dictate before the bench bosses start tinkering or doing anal line matching...

And shoulders to chests-- rock TB with speed and hits...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I miss seeing Stanley Cup Playoffs being painted on the ice. Now we just have Geico and Discover Ads
    I miss seeing Stanley Cup Playoffs being painted on the ice. Now we just have Geico and Discover Ads

The corporate nature of the game and the sponsorships are not welcomed. Wait till we start getting corporate logos on jerseys. The are slowly allowing it and I feel soon it will become NASCAR! LOL!

Great win by the Leafs, I would say in previous years they would have found a way to lose that one. Lets see if they have a killer instinct and take a stranglehold.

I was hopeful the Jets would complete the comeback but Vegas prevailed. Nice to see the Devils make it a series and win one!
    Fuck this team. Trade Barkov and move them to Quebec
    Florida had such an up and down year. It looked like they might give Boston a run for their money. Odds are certainly against them now. Lets see if they can be a tough out and make life interersting.
    Fuck this team. Trade Barkov and move them to Quebec

You must be happy that your team has forced a game 7! Boston must be kicking themselves. That OT goal in game 5 might be the turning point in this series. Imagine the President's Trophy winning team out in the first round.

Congratulations to the Golden Knights, Stars and Canes for advancing.

Will Toronto join them tonight, or will the Lightning force Game 7?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Cooper is wiley…. and Keefe is sitting the wrong guys…

I hope he puts in Liljegren for Holl and takes out Aston Reece and puts in Bunting.

And when the game is tight, why the hell doesn’t Keefe shorten his bench?????? Other than Kampf taking defensive face-offs, Keefe should be riding Matthews, Marner, Nylander (who skated through TB every single game; I don’t like how Keefe has cut his minutes), O’Reilly, Knies and Tavares and Bunting.

Eight to ten minutes left in a close game, shorten the bench and ride the big guns.

I don’t understand Keefe and we will lose in game seven if he doesn’t start making big moves.
    Couldn't agree more @peter as I was sitting in the stands watching the game there were audible groans everytime Holl touched the puck. He seemed to be played a lot, but really it was just that he was mis-matched when he was on the ice.

Matthews looked like a beast out on the ice and looked like he wanted the puck. However he didn't play too much. I am really starting to question Keefe and his decisions. Lets hope we end things tonight!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    🤞 @thedove
    Wow, congratulations to all Maple Leafs fans. The curse is finally broken. I’m still processing it finally happened!
    Crazy! Neither of my sons had seen the Leafs win a playoff round. I have an 11 year old and an 18 year old. Incredible I almost forgot what it was like to win a series.

Can the Panthers complete the upset of the Bruins?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thedove wrote: »
    Crazy! Neither of my sons had seen the Leafs win a playoff round. I have an 11 year old and an 18 year old. Incredible I almost forgot what it was like to win a series.

Can the Panthers complete the upset of the Bruins?

I'm praying for a Panthers win. They clawed back this far, so......