The NHL Thread

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm nervous. Please finish this tonight
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If your boys win tonight and Vancouver gets one step closer to eliminating McDavid, I'll be a happy man.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If your boys win tonight and Vancouver gets one step closer to eliminating McDavid, I'll be a happy man.

Me too
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The Avs win to fight another day. Can they force game 7? I wouldn't bet against it.

Can the Rangers put out the Hurricanes? Which Canadian team takes the series lead?

Starting to hear the Leafs are interested in Rod if he doesn't re-sign with the Canes. Probably wishful thinking. LOL!
    Stars still have this, but they've clearly had a problem this series with playing a full 20 minutes.
    Stars still have this, but they've clearly had a problem this series with playing a full 20 minutes.

This is why I'm going to keep doubting them until the bitter end. They've had many impressive moments and games this postseason, but we all just know what they do. A 3-1 series choke shouldn't surprise anyone if it does happen.
    FoxRox wrote: »

This is why I'm going to keep doubting them until the bitter end. They've had many impressive moments and games this postseason, but we all just know what they do. A 3-1 series choke shouldn't surprise anyone if it does happen.

As much as I'm rooting for them, I could see them being the team to lose that 3-1 standing in any given series. I really hope they don't though.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Nah it's gonna be Florida and I'll seriously stop watching hockey for good.

Until next season
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 16 Posts: 8,722
    @Last_Rat_Standing …. Just read the following, an article on your GM’s great work, and a comparison with our Dubas (before he left for Pittsburgh).

Night and day, and makes the leafs organization look that much more foolish.

EXIT: @Last_Rat_Standing , it’d be a good idea to share the link, 😂:

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/brilliant-gm-work-by-zito-in-florida/wcm/d447c7e4-ec41-4879-8112-b88c523e25dc
    I'll definitely admit that Zito is a wizard and has helped bring us back to relevance instead of the perennial doormat in which other teams get a free vacation and a blowout win
    Well the Rangers finally finish off the pesky Canes. Let the Rod Brindamour to Toronto rumours fly. LOL!

The Canucks score in the final minute to take a series lead.

Will the Panthers be able to do what the Rangers did and end the Bruins season?

How do the Stars react to heading back to Avs country?

Does either home team extend the series?
    Canes were just one period away from taking it to a Game 7 and they absolutely crapped the bed. Didn't have high hopes for that first round pick in the first place for my Pens but that was one of the reasons I was rooting for Carolina to begin with. Shame.

Stars have been pretty great on the road so I think they're going to finish it tonight.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I can’t believe the ‘Canes lost!

I watched up until 3-1, with Carolina mauling the Rangers. They were faster, more dangerous, suffocating.

Glad to see McJesus on the brink of a big sulk.

I hope Florida boots Boston out, and the team I always doubt, for whatever illogical reason, should take the Avs (although I want to see Nate-dog and his team prevail).
    peter wrote: »

I watched up until 3-1, with Carolina mauling the Rangers. They were faster, more dangerous, suffocating.

I hope Florida boots Boston out, and the team I always doubt, for whatever illogical reason, should take the Avs (although I want to see Nate-dog and his team prevail).

I so loved seeing the camera pan to McJesus's dejected face last night after Vancouver took the lead in the waning moments.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I so loved seeing the camera pan to McJesus's dejected face last night after Vancouver took the lead in the waning moments.

😂 I’m happy I have a kindred spirit in you! Most people look aghast when I slam McJesus. They don’t understand that I’m not saying his talent isn’t off the charts (it is!), but I go after his entitled, bratty dip-snotty character.

Hes 27. Appears miserable because he’s snapped his fingers 100 times now, and STILL hasn’t sniffed a Cup.

My favourite player, Sidney Crosby, was the youngest captain in NHL history to lead his team to a Cup (21). He’s won two more since.

At 36, I’d pick him to lead a team over McJesus, any day of the week. Crosby is a natural leader, and has sacrificed his personal glories for team glories. He plays 200 feet of ice. And, as I’ve repeated on here, he’s described as having first line talent with a third liners grinder mentality.

He has more leadership in his small toe’s nail, than mumbling McJesus has in his entire body.

@peter, I'm right there with you, brother! I chalked it up to him being a highly praised rookie at the time, but he's been around long enough to lose that snobby demeanor and hasn't. Much like rooting against the Flyers, every year that passes now where he isn't raising the Cup will be another win in my book.

And spot on about Sid. It's all the more telling that he had (I believe) his third best season ever this year, at the ripe age of 36. Kills me that he couldn't drag the rest of the team into the playoffs off his stellar play alone but it's still so damn impressive.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter, I'm right there with you, brother! I chalked it up to him being a highly praised rookie at the time, but he's been around long enough to lose that snobby demeanor and hasn't. Much like rooting against the Flyers, every year that passes now where he isn't raising the Cup will be another win in my book.

And spot on about Sid. It's all the more telling that he had (I believe) his third best season ever this year, at the ripe age of 36. Kills me that he couldn't drag the rest of the team into the playoffs off his stellar play alone but it's still so damn impressive.

So right @Creasy47 . It’s night and day between these two. Crosby has undeniable talent that could have seen him shatter records (when he was 14 or 15, I think, Wayne Gretzky spoke about this phenom from Cole Harbour and believed he’d break some of his records, and Crosby was only barely in his teens!).

But Crosby chose team over self. And when there were weaker teams, like the decimated team that saw them win the second-in-a row Stanley Cup, he was their best center man, winger, D-man— sometimes all on one shift! He willed them to win, and tried it again this season as he almost, by himself, got them into the playoffs.

When he retires, I will definitely shed a tear; hockey will be saying goodbye to one of the greatest leaders to ever lace ‘em up (maybe by then McJesus will have his Cup, 😂?).
    The Leafs don't wait for Rod or Joel, they go and get Craig!

The days of players not being called out are gone. Lets see how the core 4 react to his methods. He's definitely not like Keefe and I personally think that is a very good thing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thedove wrote: »
    The Leafs don't wait for Rod or Joel, they go and get Craig!

The days of players not being called out are gone. Lets see how the core 4 react to his methods. He's definitely not like Keefe and I personally think that is a very good thing.

Although I don’t fully blame Keefe (he was given the team he was given, but a change was necessary), I too feel a coach that holds players accountable will only be healthy.

And if they don’t like it? Waive your no trade and give the Leafs a list of teams.

Congrats to Maurice and Florida!!

I hope we next see the Oils being dismissed….
    Very happy with recent results, now we’re guaranteed a pretty fresh new winner.
    We will get a game 7! The Stars are waiting and hoping it goes deep into multiple overtimes. LOL!

No rest for whichever team emerges as the West Conference Final will start on Wednesday.

We will get a game 7! The Stars are waiting and hoping it goes deep into multiple overtimes. LOL!

No rest for whichever team emerges as the West Conference Final will start on Wednesday.

You would think they'd alternate dates but with the Mavericks and potentially the Knicks sharing arenas, there's a lot of figuring out logistically.
    Classic example of too little too late for the Canucks. They played a terrible first two periods. My rooting team’s officially out - but my actual pick of Florida remains.
    Yet another prime example of you can't show up for just a few minutes out of 60 and expect to win. Devastating way to end their season, I'm sure, and I'm only upset that Edmonton is still in it. No matter, I'll enjoy Dallas crushing them even more now.
    I turned it on when I got home from my night job at 3-0, heated up dinner and next thing it was 3-2. Really was hoping that they would have tied it but Edmonton shut them down after that second goal.

Even as a panthers fan, I'm still betting on a Rangers Stars final
    Yes I was cheering for the Canucks with my heart, but my head said Oilers would find a way. I really have no rooting interest in final four.

I don't fall into the Canadians must cheer for a Canadian team to win the Cup. So I will not be cheering for the Oil. I am thinking a Stars-Panthers final with the Panthers taking Lord Stanley but who really knows.

The Leafs hold a Press Conference to introduce Craig Berube to the mass of media. Nothing really shocking said. I can actually see a scenario where we start the season with the core four and see how it plays out with the new guy behind the bench.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes I was cheering for the Canucks with my heart, but my head said Oilers would find a way. I really have no rooting interest in final four.

I don't fall into the Canadians must cheer for a Canadian team to win the Cup. So I will not be cheering for the Oil. I am thinking a Stars-Panthers final with the Panthers taking Lord Stanley but who really knows.

The Leafs hold a Press Conference to introduce Craig Berube to the mass of media. Nothing really shocking said. I can actually see a scenario where we start the season with the core four and see how it plays out with the new guy behind the bench.

I fear the same thing @thedove ... I'd rather just try and get one of the core four off the books, and I don't care about a "fair value"trade , in the least.

I think there's more value of getting $11 million off the books, and seeking several D with that money(and getting a few draft picks back in our cupboard).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Although I'm rooting for Florida (big fan of Maurice), I did not see them spanking the Rangers like that in game one!

I expect a meaner, nastier Rangers team in the next game.
    Although I'm rooting for Florida (big fan of Maurice), I did not see them spanking the Rangers like that in game one!

2-0 would be gravy but getting a split in NY is all I wanted going back to Florida

Warms my heart to know some NY fans shelled out some heavy cash just to see their team get shutout at home!