The NHL Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That wasn't offsides

It definitely looked offsides to me, but it was so close it could've gone either way. I think if that goal wasn't contested/overturned, the Preds would've decimated the rest of the game.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It was inconclusive. Pittsburgh took advantage after that.
    It was inconclusive. Pittsburgh took advantage after that.

They deliberated for a while, so I was expecting them to deem it inconclusive (given how close it was) and let Nashville have the goal. Sucked the energy right out of them after that happened, but they did helm a rather impressive three goal comeback.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Nashville is making some noise. It'll be interesting to see how the series plays out now. Rinne played lights out these last two games and the atmosphere is insane out in Nashville
    Sullivan needs to play MAF next game; he was pulled for less than what Murray has given up these last two games. Bad goaltending or not, though, you're not winning many games by only netting one goal. It's anyone's game now.
    Murray will rebound in game 5
    Murray will rebound in game 5

I would've preferred Fleury coming out for the third period last night. Murray allows too many shots to rip past his glove, it's his biggest weakness and the Preds have figured that out now. Someone needs to rebound come Game 5.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    edited June 2017 Posts: 127
    Murray's glove certainly isn't a strength no doubt, but I don't buy into the "they figured it out" nonsense. Teams figured that out in last year's playoff and tried to take advantage but that didn't get them anywhere. If anything it brought teams down because they were so focused on hitting the glove side instead of taking whatever opportunities they had.

Now after a full season of Murray in goal and half of these playoffs, every team should know about his glove hand, but again it hasn't made much of a difference.

He's the better goalie and should start. MAF is great but unreliable and inconsistent, putting him in now would be a terrible idea. If he wasn't playing out of his mind and far above his usual then he would have been benched as soon as Murray was ready instead of after a bad game.

If Nashville ends up winning the series it's because they were the better team, not because of Murray's glove hand.

If the Penguins regroup and win the series, it's gonna be because they found their rhythm and aren't leaving Murray out to dry on breakaways and open PP looks.
    Told you Murray would rebound. He did in a big way. First game this series in which I shut it off. Actually I did after the first period.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,493
    sidney led by example; the team finally showed up and fell in step. He had a monster game, right from the first face off.
    If Crosby wins the Conn Smythe again, ill stop watching hockey.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Syd was awesome last night!
    That was one clutch performance!
    I hope he wins this Cup and a couple more

Sorry Smashville
    Everyone was on fire last night, that's the kind of game I like to see. However, if the history of this series remains consistent, the Pens will get destroyed on Sunday, just to decimate in Game Seven. Time will tell.
    peter wrote: »

Because Malkin and Kuentzel deserve it more. Just dont give it to Sidney Crosby because he's Sidney Crosby. The two mentioned have done much more than him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing , all in the eye of the beholder, i suppose. Malkin often disappears for games at a time, and he's not exactly the force that drives the team to line up behind him; Guentzel looks like he's tightening up because of the chance to break the Dino Cicarelli rookie record-- he is indeed a talent (from the third round draft pick!); to me Crosby is just on another level, not only from a talent perspective (he plays ALL 200 feet of ice), but he, like Toews, and Messier long before them, is THAT leader.

I think he's a genuine monster on the ice, and, even in the two losses in Nashville, he was (apart from Rhinne) the best player on the ice. The only thing the Preds can sling at him, to try to throw him off his game, is loud-mouth Subban (who Crosby pinned and then forced him to kiss the ice about five times before he got off of him).

Crosby set up three goals (starting right off the first face-off); and could have set up another three (as well as score). He's so dangerous on the ice, he draws the opposition to him, and out of position.

Watching the games with my son, I always say: listen to how many times you hear Crosby's name when he's on the ice; a shift is only forty'ish seconds, and you hear his name five or six or seven times.

To me he's unreal. He's basically been on the ice non-stop for the past two seasons (while his team was gearing up for training camp, he was captain of the Canadian team in the World Cup, winning the tournament). He's a hard-wired competitor, and one my son, whom I coach in competitive hockey here in Toronto, watches and tries to emulate himself...
    I have nothing against him. I think he's the best of our generation. But who gets the Conn Smythe if Nashville wins?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    good question, @Last_Rat_Standing ... If Nashville wins, I think it'll largely be on the back of Rhinne, and if he plays as he did in games three and four... he'll take the Conn Smythe.
    @Last_Rat_Standing , all in the eye of the beholder, i suppose. Malkin often disappears for games at a time, and he's not exactly the force that drives the team to line up behind him; Guentzel looks like he's tightening up because of the chance to break the Dino Cicarelli rookie record-- he is indeed a talent (from the third round draft pick!); to me Crosby is just on another level, not only from a talent perspective (he plays ALL 200 feet of ice), but he, like Toews, and Messier long before them, is THAT leader.

I think he's a genuine monster on the ice, and, even in the two losses in Nashville, he was (apart from Rhinne) the best player on the ice. The only thing the Preds can sling at him, to try to throw him off his game, is loud-mouth Subban (who Crosby pinned and then forced him to kiss the ice about five times before he got off of him).

Crosby set up three goals (starting right off the first face-off); and could have set up another three (as well as score). He's so dangerous on the ice, he draws the opposition to him, and out of position.

Watching the games with my son, I always say: listen to how many times you hear Crosby's name when he's on the ice; a shift is only forty'ish seconds, and you hear his name five or six or seven times.

To me he's unreal. He's basically been on the ice non-stop for the past two seasons (while his team was gearing up for training camp, he was captain of the Canadian team in the World Cup, winning the tournament). He's a hard-wired competitor, and one my son, whom I coach in competitive hockey here in Toronto, watches and tries to emulate himself...

Nice summary of the great Crosby. I have a whole new appreciation for not only his talents, but​ also his fierce competitiveness, after these playoffs. He sure owned Subban in that behind the net wrestling match.
    I think Pens are rolling and they take Game 6.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hope you're right @timmer ! The Pens have to roll with momentum from the thrashing they delivered the other night. But the Preds play a damn hard game in their building.

One of the things the Pens changed was they upped the speed of their game; they didn't give Nashville a chance to take away time and space. They dominated because they created more space (led by Crosby).

It'll be interesting to see if the Preds can now do the same.
    The Pittsburgh Penguins are back-to-back Stanley Cup champions!!! Beautiful stuff. Think the Conn Smythe should've gone to a couple of other players instead, but at the end of the day, you can't beat winning the Cup.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm happy the Conn Smythe went to Sid. Apart from two games after the diagnosed concussion, I found him on a different level, playing in a different league; but especially after Subban opened his big mouth, Crosby was like a dog to a bone. He set the standard in their game 4 loss and was unreal in games 5 & 6. The rest of the team followed their captain.

And, unlike most players, he does play 200 feet of ice, he drives the opposition out of position, he blocks shots (took a slapper off the hand last night that they froze on the bench).

The best player of his generation; and he' s set the standard fro McDavid and Mathews.
    Subban trash talked too much for his own good, and then they got shutout in their final two games. I really enjoyed watching Hagelin use his speed to blast past him at the end of the game and sink that empty netter.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    all true @Creasy47
    I'm happy the Conn Smythe went to Sid. Apart from two games after the diagnosed concussion, I found him on a different level, playing in a different league; but especially after Subban opened his big mouth, Crosby was like a dog to a bone. He set the standard in their game 4 loss and was unreal in games 5 & 6. The rest of the team followed their captain.

And, unlike most players, he does play 200 feet of ice, he drives the opposition out of position, he blocks shots (took a slapper off the hand last night that they froze on the bench).

The best player of his generation; and he' s set the standard fro McDavid and Mathews.

Yes, we are seeing Crosby in legacy form.
    I'd say he's the first "great" player since Mario Lemieux, but you can make the case for Jagr too.
    Crosby now has 3 Cups, 3 combined Olympic-World Cup Gold's (that is some serious winning there) a World Junior Gold, plus 2 Conn Smythe trophies, 2 Scoring titles, plus at least one Hart.
    And he's got about another 8 years to build the legacy further (30 this year)
    There is Richard, Howe, Hull, Orr, Esposito, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr and Crosby in the Pantheon of legends.
    I think Syd's last two years have elevated him to this exalalted status.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @timmer, it's amazing to think what Sid has done before his thirtieth b-day!... yes, he is quickly writing his history book!!
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    What a team, and Crosby is just unreal. He absolutely deserved the Conn Smythe. He was unstoppable and brought and energy and dominance to the final two games that inspired the team to follow suit.

I said it in this thread earlier in the playoffs, but having grown up in Pittsburgh, I got to see a lot of Lemieux in his prime, and Crosby has impressed me just as much with his talent, and he's far from being finished.
    I have to tip my cap to the pens. Just as we thought that Nashville may take control, Pittsburgh came out guns blazing.

I think i was bitter, still slightly due to the fact that I don't like any teams in the North. So I was really hoping a southern team would take it this year.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,493
    In time @Last_Rat_Standing ... I think Nashville may be the closest (that's an exciting brand of hockey they play).

You have to learn how to lose so u CAN win: in '08 the Pens went to their first finals with The Kid, and they lost.

Twelve months later, the two teams were locked in the finals again, and the Pens won...

Hopefully Nashville learns from this painful, bitter-sweet loss and runs the tables next year,

And why the northern bias Last Rat?
    Because down here in South Florida it's filled with transplants and snowbirds. Which means when the original 6 plus Philly and Pittsburgh are in town the arena is invaded with their fans. Pretty much for any of those teams you're looking at up to a 70-30 ratio of northern fans to Panther fans. It gets annoying and I tend to stay away from attending those games. You can't force people to switch teams if they move to South Florida but when people say South Florida is not a hockey market. It's not entirely true we just have too many down here that still go for their northern brethren.