DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Burton movie that never happened, had Brainiac and Luthor as main villains.

Jack Nicholson as Lex Luthor, by the way.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Waaaaay back in the Christopher Reeve era, they were toying with having Brainiac as the villain for part 5.
    I even remember seeing a fan made poster with Peter Weller (bald straight from RoboCop) as Brainiac.

Maybe in Man of Steel 2.....

Would love to see that poster.

I spent a good 15 minutes looking through google; trying every combination of words I could think of, but no luck I'm afraid.

I saw this a good 10 years ago, but if memory serves it looked a little like this, with the outer space theme:

Superman_IV_French_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

and I'm like 90% sure they used this image for Brainiac, retouched and tinted green

e7400eb147723b30c3ad2c34a8c7e47d--fiction-movies-science-fiction.jpg

and it had Luthor & Lois' heads next to Brainiac.

As much as I would have loved to see more Reeve movies.... if it was going to be anything like part IV, I think we may have been better off without it. [-(
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Joss Whedon no longer directing Batgirl

“Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn’t have a story,” Whedon said in a statement. “I’m grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I… uh, is there a sexier word for ‘failed’?”
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    doubleoego wrote: »

“Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn’t have a story,” Whedon said in a statement. “I’m grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I… uh, is there a sexier word for ‘failed’?”

Finally some good news for the DCEU!

After what he offered up in Justice League, and considering the drama in his personal life, this is completely expected... and welcomed. I wouldn’t want him touching another DC film, let alone a female led one. Bring on a female director.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I'm shocked.

*rolls eyes*
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://movieweb.com/aquaman-movie-test-screening-reactions/
    Aquaman receiving early positive reaction.

...and regarding Whedon, I am not bothered that he has left Batgirl

Who cares about Batgirl?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I surely don't. For the same reason I don't care about either of the Robins or Nightwing. Mere supporting characters whose sole purpose is to assist Batman, and that's all there is to it.
    I surely don't. For the same reason I don't care about either of the Robins or Nightwing. Mere supporting characters whose sole purpose is to assist Batman, and that's all there is to it.

Big yes to both.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,690
    ''Early Aquaman test screening reportedly scores very positive reactions.''

http://collider.com/aquaman-test-screening-movie-talk/
    I may give that film a chance. I was somewhat interested.
    I will wait for the trailer, but judging from Justice League-not interested.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 45,489
    I loved MAN OF STEEL, so this is potentially great news. Just not sure how it will turn out without Snyder.
    If Justice League is any indication of how Superman will be characterized going forward, then I don’t have much interest in a Man of Steel sequel.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well that certainly puts him out of the running for Bond then.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If Justice League is any indication of how Superman will be characterized going forward, then I don’t have much interest in a Man of Steel sequel.

I'm not understanding here... JL was uneven and awkward, but what was wrong with Cavill's Superman in it?
    Cavill was the best thing in JL.

That's what I thought...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    That's what I thought...
    Me too. Even though a Batman fan, I seemed to root for Supes in JL.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257

I'm not understanding here... JL was uneven and awkward, but what was wrong with Cavill's Superman in it?

From the small amount of Superman we got in JL, I thought he was a shallow, soulless cardboard cutout of the character. MOS laid great groundwork for the character to become the character we know. BvS was a step backwards with regard to that character growth, but it was at least thematically consistent and in the same vein as MOS. In JL, they ignored all of that and hit the reset button. He may act like Superman now, but I don’t feel it was authentic or earned. I understand people don’t love the MOS characterization the way I do, but I feel they overcorrected in JL. He doesn’t feel like a real character to me anymore, and in MOS, that’s what drew me in.

From the small amount of Superman we got in JL, I thought he was a shallow, soulless cardboard cutout of the character. MOS laid great groundwork for the character to become the character we know. BvS was a step backwards with regard to that character growth, but it was at least thematically consistent and in the same vein as MOS. In JL, they ignored all of that and hit the reset button. He may act like Superman now, but I don’t feel it was authentic or earned. I understand people don’t love the MOS characterization the way I do, but I feel they overcorrected in JL. He doesn’t feel like a real character to me anymore, and in MOS, that’s what drew me in.

Okay, thanks for the detailed response.
    Once a girlfriend who was breaking up with me told me I was too 'nice'.
    So of course, edgy Superman is not my cup of Earl Grey.
    I mean, imagine if Spider-Man had killed the Green Goblin with his own hands in the first Raimi film...
    I enjoyed Jason Momoa in "Justice League" so much that I'm looking forward to "Aquaman".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Haha, like clockwork! The writing has been on this particular wall for a while now. That statement reads like a man being shut out from directing a movie after he screwed up on the last one, and trying to be amicable so that he may get another job later on. Because if Whedon had invested so much into the Batgirl project and had been involved in bringing it to the screen, do we really think that WB would hand him the keys to the castle when he had no story to pitch at the time? They're incompetent, but that incompetent? I wouldn't say so.

Not much lost for me, as it's no secret I'm not a Whedon fan. They should get a woman for this project, to get the Batgirl "voice" correct and to avoid any over-sexualization you can sometimes get when a man is handed these sorts of things.

I do see where you're coming from here, @Seven_Point_Six_Five. The MoS Superman felt like a "real" character, while in JL the character we saw was very much playing to the tropes or expectation of Superman without much time for depth. A Bond comparison for me would be how Dan plays Bond and how Pierce did it. One actor really goes for the layers of the character like the other actor was handed material that made him play the character you expect to see without much time for dimensionality.

I hope that Cavill is handed material that allows him to be Superman, but also be a Superman that feels as much like a character as he does a symbol. JL really disappointed me partially because of how the film undersold the drama and depth of Superman. We get to see him smile, that's great, but his resurrection was rushed right through and of course we had to see him be evil to the heroes before he came back to his senses. Too many misfires in that film where his character is concerned.

Okay, thanks for the detailed response.
    Once a girlfriend who was breaking up with me told me I was too 'nice'.
    So of course, edgy Superman is not my cup of Earl Grey.
    I mean, imagine if Spider-Man had killed the Green Goblin with his own hands in the first Raimi film...
    @chrisisall, I am still in the camp that doesn't understand the backlash that moment got in MoS. It's one of my favorite comic book movie moments ever, in fact, and I find it very powerful. Superman doing what he must, sacrificing the last hope of a new Krypton for the people of earth. And it's partially a tragic moment as you know that Zod is only doing what he's literally been programmed to do, protecting the future and promise of Krypton. So when Superman steps in to save innocents he's doing so while also canceling out the chances of him not being alone in the universe. There's a lot going on in that scene, and it means a lot for a lot of reasons.

Fans I guess were upset that Superman killed, but they didn't seem to mind all the times Reeve's Superman did the same, and worse, in his films. At least in MoS the act of killing Superman does serves the greatest purpose of all, showing that Superman had to make an unbearably hard decision and in that moment became the protector of the planet that unknowingly adopted him into its culture after he crashed into it years earlier. I don't think that was an "edgy" Superman, that was a very grounded Superman that was handed an actual consequence you don't see much of in his other films. He was actually presented with a moment that felt like he could do nothing else, that he had no other options left. And that scream Cavill gives realizing what he's had to do sends a chill up my spine, and is by far his greatest moment as the character yet. You get so much from that scene without any of the characters saying a word. For crafting that, Snyder gets major respect from me, even if he overdid it in the city destruction.
    Fans I guess were upset that Superman killed, but they didn't seem to mind all the times Reeve's Superman did the same, and worse, in his films.
    Wait- what? Where was THIS?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Fans I guess were upset that Superman killed, but they didn't seem to mind all the times Reeve's Superman did the same, and worse, in his films.
    Wait- what? Where was THIS?
    @chrisisall, what do you mean?

Let's compare how Reeve Superman and Cavill Superman handle Zod and his soldiers:

With Cavill Superman I see a hero forced to kill because he literally has no other choice: Zod was going to kill off all human life on the planet and make earth a new Krypton; basically, planet wide genocide for a massive coup. But Reeve Superman (and Lois) kills people that he knows are no threat to him, no more superhuman than Lex himself. What he does to a defenseless and powerless Zod should upset you if you get upset at seeing Superman kill a fully powered (and more powerful than he) Zod who wants to kill everything he loves and take control of the planet he must protect. The stakes necessitate Cavill Superman's action, but none of Reeve Superman's.

This isn't even to say that killing doesn't have to be seen as bad right off, as people take that scene in MoS. Sometimes it's the only way, or a hero fails and death results. Nolan played with this in his Batman films, where Batman's failures lead to death or where he may be seen as implicated in deaths despite not killing directly himself. This isn't a charge against reeve Superman, as I don't really care, but when people make a big deal out of Cavill's Superman killing when you can see the pain and anguish the act gives him and compare it to Reeve Superman who just smirks after he kills someone (not unlike Keaton Batman at times, actually), you have to wonder why the former is the bad guy who isn't acting like Superman. Cavill acted like more of the Superman I know than Reeve's did even when Reeve's Superman had zero stakes and killed anyway. It just feels disingenuous to lay criticism at the feet of Cavill Superman when Reeve Superman could be seen as acting worse in that same fight against Zod and his henchpeople.

I see the same sort of hypocrisy when people compare the battle damage of MoS while lauding the Marvel films. The battle in MoS was pretty nuts and went too far, sure, but have these people seen The Avengers (or any other Marvel film with a final battle) where New York is massively destroyed as well? MoS is the one that gets criticized, while Marvel seem forgotten. I just think that's hilariously dishonest.
  • Wow, now that’s comic accurate!!

28277182_985779828250000_1467345861222373649_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=e6de2f5a878170a6fdba5f2cea1056d9&oe=5B18CD99
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257
    It certainly has a classic vibe to it which I like, but it does look a bit like a cheap Disneyland Gaston suit from this angle. At least it isn't some overly designed or armored suit, I'm tired of seeing that.

We'll likely get an official image released very soon now that a few pics leaked.
    I like that look.