Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    They both made me think so that aspect is good for sure. I can’t really complain about either too much, but both Kubrick and Nolan directed several films I personally prefer.

I rate films amongst or above those, both directors have a good CV for sure.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Sorry not to be among the Interstellar aficionados. It was a rare case of both my wife and I being united in saying it was the epitome of pretentiousness. Maybe I'd change my mind upon a rewatch...the trouble being that I feel no temptation to rewatch it. My least favourite Nolan movie, and I like his earliest ones ("Memento") the best anyway.

I love science fiction so it's my wheelhouse, plus I respect Nolan ability as a technical director, though we all have different tastes in films mate
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Hans Zimmer fell asleep on his keyboard in Interstellar.

Phenomenal movie nonetheless
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Interstellar was fantastic; I wonder if the emotional elements were purposefully placed in the films since, one of the knocks against Nolan has been that his films are cold and lack emotion (not something I necessarily agree with; his films are intelligent with realistic adult relationships. He doesn’t need to add the sap, but did at the end of TDKR (a film I greatly admire), and Interstellar).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    After watching MUNICH last night, we opted for something lighter from Spielberg tonight. We watched THE BFG, a movie that had sort of been below my radar even after I had bought the soundtrack simply because it was another work of one of the two greatest living movie composers, John Williams (the other being Morricone). But I had never heard of the story before and only learned just now that it was by Roald Dahl and, surprise, even that Spielberg directed it.

But we were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it as another perfect Spielberg fairy tale, written by the late Melissa Mathison. Unless you need constant action and suspense and unless you're reluctant to get immersed in a fantasy world, it's a "fantastically" entertaining film for those enjoying family-friendly humour (if you forgive some farting jokes...which I do).

As an aside and a bit of a curiosity for me, this is about the only recent movie where for the German market they seem to have made a separate version of scenes in which signs and documents were shown (though we watched the original English version soundwise, but it is a "German" Blu-ray). The sign above the orphanage entrance says "Waisenhaus" (not "Orphanage"), the labels on the jars in which BFG keeps his collection of dreams are in German, same for the letter/diary of BFG's earlier friend, and also the "Times" article shown to the Queen has a German headline. Quite unusual, especially since the story, of course, is set in the UK.
    Castle in the Sky : I'm still revisiting the works of Hayao Miyazaki, and still enjoying it. This one is a thing of pure beauty : action, humour, poetry, it has everything, and made brillantly. If you're (already) looking for a gift for your children, and the adults who have not forgotten they were children too, it's ideal.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2018 Posts: 45,489
    MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS (1934)
    1292616680-babes-in-toyland.jpg

This is for kids. Also known as Babes In Toyland.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS (1934)
    1292616680-babes-in-toyland.jpg

This is for kids. Also known as Babes In Toyland.

I notice you like Golden age cinema, are you a Marx Brothers fan?
    Loved them as a kid. As with Laurel and Hardy, they would be regularly shown both on tv and in the cinema back in the 70s.
    Loved them as a kid. As with Laurel and Hardy, they would be regularly shown both on tv and in the cinema back in the 70s.

Likewise in the 80s Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin, Keaton were on TV often as well as old serials with Buster Crabb. I have the early Marx Brothers films, the humour was way ahead of its time, Duck Soup is one of my favourite films it's genius.

Likewise in the 80s Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin, Keaton were on TV often as well as old serials with Buster Crabb. I have the early Marx Brothers films, the humour was way ahead of its time, Duck Soup is one of my favourite films it's genius.

Yes, those as well. And Harold Lloyd and Abbott & Costello.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Good comedy always stands the test of time Laurel and Hardy, Morecambe and
    Wise, Dave Allen. Funny then and still funny now.
    Just watched Tyrone Power swash his buckle in The mark of Zorro.
    The sword fight between him and Basil Rathbone is fantastic
    Just watched Tyrone Power swash his buckle in The mark of Zorro.
    The sword fight between him and Basil Rathbone is fantastic

There are a lot of good scenes in that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,556
    The Cloverfield Paradox

Some cool ideas on display can't save this disappointment, which was better off as an "Oh my God, Netflix is dropping a movie tonight!" event rather than a film itself. A solid, diverse cast is all but wasted in something so ham-fisted and generic; it couldn't be more painfully obvious how retrofitted and shoehorned the Cloverfield connection truly is in this, a movie that never even started out as a sequel in the first place. It was initially a spec script called God Particle, it originally focused on a crew on a space station dealing with the ramifications once they realize the Earth has disappeared. Hell, most of the movie does seem to follow along that plotline, and only a few bad injections of monster-related talk turn this into a Cloverfield movie, I suppose. It's also quite obvious that as the budget ballooned, Paramount wanted to distance themselves further and further from this. Can't blame them.

What a shame such a great cast is wasted here, this truly would've been better off being an original, stand-alone movie...having said it was once "original", I'd still easily describe this as a tame remake of Event Horizon, coming nowhere close to the R-rating and intensity of that film. That's where the interesting ideas came into play for me, but sadly never turned into something worthwhile.

Also: could we please stop making horror films involving scientists/astronauts with the most idiotic dialogue, performing the most idiotic actions?
    Or Bedazzled.

One of the best comedies of the 1960s and one of the wittiest films ever made. It's a pity Peter Cook never wrote and starred in another film of that quality.

OF MICE AND MEN (1939)

Been looking for this for quite some time and found a copy today at a pawn shop. Great story, writing, direction and an amazing pre-Wolf Man performance by Lon Chaney Jr.
    I loved every frame! With Burgess Meredith, Bob Steele and Noah Berry Jr.

Now I want to find the John Malkovich remake and watch it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)
    SMWhRTi.jpg

One of my faves of last year, this hit the spot. The 2nd in Universal's Monsterverse shared universe films which includes Godzilla, this one is full of mindless fun with lots of shocking deaths, explosions and inexplicably large creatures. Filmed on location in Vietnam, the film sports a superb cast including Tom Hiddleston, John Goodman, Brie Larson & John C. Reilly. If that isn't enough, Samuel L. Jackson is in it too, and gets to do his patented staredowns and give a great speech or two. Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts keeps it tense but also injects a little humour here and there which lightens the mood. I appreciate that. The tone is more Predator than it is the original King Kong imho, and the film is all the better for it. Henry Jackman delivers a great score, as can be expected from him. What's not to like? Not much actually. I enjoyed it much more than I did Godzilla and the humour, action and cast have a lot to do with it. Leave your brain at home.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kong: Skull Island (2017)
    SMWhRTi.jpg

One of my faves of last year, this hit the spot. The 2nd in Universal's Monsterverse shared universe films which includes Godzilla, this one is full of mindless fun with lots of shocking deaths, explosions and inexplicably large creatures. Filmed on location in Vietnam, the film sports a superb cast including Tom Hiddleston, John Goodman, Brie Larson & John C. Reilly. If that isn't enough, Samuel L. Jackson is in it too, and gets to do his patented staredowns and give a great speech or two. Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts keeps it tense but also injects a little humour here and there which lightens the mood. I appreciate that. The tone is more Predator than it is the original King Kong imho, and the film is all the better for it. Henry Jackman delivers a great score, as can be expected from him. What's not to like? Not much actually. I enjoyed it much more than I did Godzilla and the humour, action and cast have a lot to do with it. Leave your brain at home.

Thanks @bondjames, I will see it now because of your glowing review.
    My pleasure @chrisisall. I can't remember if you're one who is sensitive to excess CGI. I must caution you that there is a lot of it in this film and it's sometimes not of the highest quality (it varies). If you can live with that then you should enjoy because it's just a fun film.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @bondjames really? I found it to be an excellent use of CGI apart from maybe the opening sequence, the rest looks pretty good
    You're right, it's not bad @JamesBondKenya. After all the effects were actually nominated for an Oscar. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to this sort of thing and therefore felt like mentioning it as a caveat, but yes the CGI is reasonable.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think I just overlook certain cgi flaws if I can sympathize with them. For example people hate Tarkin in Rogue one, but I forgive it because I like the concept of bringing back a classic character.
    The mask of Zorro. Still great fun.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Cloverfield Paradox

Some cool ideas on display can't save this disappointment, which was better off as an "Oh my God, Netflix is dropping a movie tonight!" event rather than a film itself. A solid, diverse cast is all but wasted in something so ham-fisted and generic; it couldn't be more painfully obvious how retrofitted and shoehorned the Cloverfield connection truly is in this, a movie that never even started out as a sequel in the first place. It was initially a spec script called God Particle, it originally focused on a crew on a space station dealing with the ramifications once they realize the Earth has disappeared. Hell, most of the movie does seem to follow along that plotline, and only a few bad injections of monster-related talk turn this into a Cloverfield movie, I suppose. It's also quite obvious that as the budget ballooned, Paramount wanted to distance themselves further and further from this. Can't blame them.

What a shame such a great cast is wasted here, this truly would've been better off being an original, stand-alone movie...having said it was once "original", I'd still easily describe this as a tame remake of Event Horizon, coming nowhere close to the R-rating and intensity of that film. That's where the interesting ideas came into play for me, but sadly never turned into something worthwhile.

Also: could we please stop making horror films involving scientists/astronauts with the most idiotic dialogue, performing the most idiotic actions?

Shame. I had hopes. Thanks for the review @Creasy47 .
    This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.

And this :

movieposter.jpg

This did make me chuckle out loud a few times,very rude,but I enjoyed it.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.
    A name on this cast list compelled me to avoid, and it wasn't Bruce.
    And this :

movieposter.jpg

Extremely crude humour, agreed. Watchable but Pena perhaps deserved better.
    This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.
    And this :

movieposter.jpg

Christensen ?

And I agree,Pena did a good job with the material he had to work with.

This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.
    And this :

movieposter.jpg

Christensen ?

Yep, I'm afraid I still can't forgive Hayden for his past disgraces. I'm not over it.
    This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.
    And this :

movieposter.jpg

Christensen ?

Yep, I'm afraid I still can't forgive Hayden for his past disgraces. I'm not over it.

Yeah,there are a few actors out there i'm not fond of.
    Shea Lebouef is one of them.

This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.
    And this :

movieposter.jpg

Christensen ?

Yeah,there are a few actors out there i'm not fond of.
    Shea Lebouef is one of them.
    Oh definitely, he's another one although with him I think it's more his off screen shenanigans that have been a distraction. He can be a reasonable actor. Good point though because he sort of messed up Crystal Skull (imho at least).