Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @Strog, I suppose an element does indeed come down to the script, because there's very little that's likable about the characters in this film as written. I'm quite surprised that Clooney or any of the actors for that matter agreed to be a part of this project, unless they wanted to make some kind of political statement. If that was their plan, it evidently backfired based on the box office. Even in such instances it's appropriate to create some kind of connection between characters and the audience & that was not the case here. So yes, pretty poor script full of despicable individuals and relatively poor direction in not at least attempting to flesh them out and make them a little sympathetic.

I quite liked Bridge of Spies as well. I didn't realize the Coens had involvement there. I haven't seen Unbroken and don't know anything about it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Hacksaw Ridge

Didn't think I'd like this as much as I did. This is riveting, ferocious and moving. Mel Gibson gives it a nice old fashioned feel and although there are some gung- ho moments the films down to earth quality and good humour see it through.

Cracking performances from Andrew Garfield (who is a dead ringer for young Anthony Perkins), Vince Vaughn and Hugo Weaving.

Magnificent battle action that almost burns a hole in the screen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hacksaw Ridge

Didn't think I'd like this as much as I did. This is riveting, ferocious and moving. Mel Gibson gives it a nice old fashioned feel and although there are some gung- ho moments the films down to earth quality and good humour see it through.

Cracking performances from Andrew Garfield (who is a dead ringer for young Anthony Perkins), Vince Vaughn and Hugo Weaving.

I know it was a short appearance but I was hoping to hear some awards buzz for Weaving in that, he was incredible.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hacksaw Ridge

I know it was a short appearance but I was hoping to hear some awards buzz for Weaving in that, he was incredible.

Agreed. I couldn't believe how good he was in it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    bondjames wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The Fabulous Baker Boys

When I was a kid, one day late at night, I caught part of this film on TV. I was slightly fascinated by it: the music, the atmosphere. I never forgot it. I'd been meaning to revisit it properly ever since, and I finally did. I enjoyed it, but found it a tad unengaging at times, a bit too minimalistic for my taste. Still, I can point out several terrific qualities about it.

The film creates a wonderful nocturnal mood. Much of it is set in quiet, lonely places: deserted streets, diners, hotel rooms. You know the expression "alone with my thoughts"? Well, this film captures that. You feel the weight of the characters' anxieties, frustrations and unfulfilled dreams when you see them in the middle of the night with no one else around, often going home after a performance.

The characters are very well-drawn, in fact. In a subtle way, the film allows us to understand the simultaneous fear, jealousy, admiration and love that has driven the Baker brothers to stick together in the face of a faltering, increasingly less popular act. The dialogue is razor-sharp, often brief and to the point in a very stylish way that fits the delicate, quiet nature of the story. Similarly, the reflexive, pensive, yearning piano music fits the film like a glove.

A couple of interesting scenes. When Jack and Susie finally fall for each other after New Year's Eve, with her talking to him about her life and being the most open she's ever been, and then him massaging her back, it's such a perfectly paced, tender, effortless and natural process. The scene in which Frank dances with Susie highlights his jealousy at his brother's skill with women and shows him in a different facet from that of the work-focused professional. Finally, when Jack and Frank finally come to blows with each other after the simultaneously sad and hilarious Telethon scene, it's such a wounded, painful and real moment-- the anger and frustration all the more vivid when set against the kernel of affection that, while not overly displayed, you know is there between the brothers. I couldn't help but identify with this moment.

In the end, while I can definitely understand and empathize with Jack's situation, I must say Frank emerges as the most dignified character of the two brothers; in the face of humilliation, he displays unwavering conviction. When it's time to do the job, he always presses ahead and always has a smile on his face, no matter how terrible the circumstances. It's impossible to listen to his words in the fight scene and not feel for him, with his worries and responsibilities toward his loved ones, and with his frustration at being mistreated by indifferent or even hostile employers. But in the end, no matter what, Jack and Frank are still brothers, and they as much as they can hate each other, they also love each other.

Fine acting from Jeff and Beau Bridges along with Michelle Pfeiffer, elegant music and exquisite cinematography by Michael Ballhaus. I look forward to revisiting this film in some time.
    This is a film I've been meaning to watch. I'm not sure if it will be my cup of tea, but your detailed review has me intrigued. Pfeiffer is undergoing a bit of a resurgence of late, and she's always been a favourite of mine so this may be an opportunity to finally take in a viewing.
    Even if you don't love it, you won't find a waste of your time, I assure you. It's a well-made film.

Speaking of Michelle Pfeiffer, I've been slowly becoming more consciously appreciative of her work. She was solid and effortless in her role in this film. She also made the most out of her role in Wolf, turning what could've been a filler role into something more distinctive. I also saw her in mother! and she was superb. Same with Batman Returns.
    Dark City (1998). I liked this one a lot; very cool concept!
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    Dark City (1998). I liked this one a lot; very cool concept!

Oh yes, that's a great one—great cast, great music, great atmosphere, great twist.
    It was really good! Better than I expected. Totally original and well done.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Fabulous Baker Boys

When I was a kid, one day late at night, I caught part of this film on TV. I was slightly fascinated by it: the music, the atmosphere. I never forgot it. I'd been meaning to revisit it properly ever since, and I finally did. I enjoyed it, but found it a tad unengaging at times, a bit too minimalistic for my taste. Still, I can point out several terrific qualities about it.

The film creates a wonderful nocturnal mood. Much of it is set in quiet, lonely places: deserted streets, diners, hotel rooms. You know the expression "alone with my thoughts"? Well, this film captures that. You feel the weight of the characters' anxieties, frustrations and unfulfilled dreams when you see them in the middle of the night with no one else around, often going home after a performance.

The characters are very well-drawn, in fact. In a subtle way, the film allows us to understand the simultaneous fear, jealousy, admiration and love that has driven the Baker brothers to stick together in the face of a faltering, increasingly less popular act. The dialogue is razor-sharp, often brief and to the point in a very stylish way that fits the delicate, quiet nature of the story. Similarly, the reflexive, pensive, yearning piano music fits the film like a glove.

A couple of interesting scenes. When Jack and Susie finally fall for each other after New Year's Eve, with her talking to him about her life and being the most open she's ever been, and then him massaging her back, it's such a perfectly paced, tender, effortless and natural process. The scene in which Frank dances with Susie highlights his jealousy at his brother's skill with women and shows him in a different facet from that of the work-focused professional. Finally, when Jack and Frank finally come to blows with each other after the simultaneously sad and hilarious Telethon scene, it's such a wounded, painful and real moment-- the anger and frustration all the more vivid when set against the kernel of affection that, while not overly displayed, you know is there between the brothers. I couldn't help but identify with this moment.

In the end, while I can definitely understand and empathize with Jack's situation, I must say Frank emerges as the most dignified character of the two brothers; in the face of humilliation, he displays unwavering conviction. When it's time to do the job, he always presses ahead and always has a smile on his face, no matter how terrible the circumstances. It's impossible to listen to his words in the fight scene and not feel for him, with his worries and responsibilities toward his loved ones, and with his frustration at being mistreated by indifferent or even hostile employers. But in the end, no matter what, Jack and Frank are still brothers, and they as much as they can hate each other, they also love each other.

Fine acting from Jeff and Beau Bridges along with Michelle Pfeiffer, elegant music and exquisite cinematography by Michael Ballhaus. I look forward to revisiting this film in some time.
    This is a film I've been meaning to watch. I'm not sure if it will be my cup of tea, but your detailed review has me intrigued. Pfeiffer is undergoing a bit of a resurgence of late, and she's always been a favourite of mine so this may be an opportunity to finally take in a viewing.
    Even if you don't love it, you won't find a waste of your time, I assure you. It's a well-made film.

Speaking of Michelle Pfeiffer, I've been slowly becoming more consciously appreciative of her work. She was solid and effortless in her role in this film. She also made the most out of her role in Wolf, turning what could've been a filler role into something more distinctive. I also saw her in mother! and she was superb. Same with Batman Returns.
    Glad to read that Pfeiffer nails the role in The Fabulous Baker Boys. I'll definitely purchase it soon. I've seen posters of that film online and it has a sort of retro flair to it, which appeals to me.

As mentioned earlier, I've always been a huge fan of hers and you're right, she did elevate a fairly mundane role in Wolf. I love the bit where she looks in absolute horror at Stewart Swinton (played by the always superb James Spader) as he does his little sniff routine. Of course she killed it in Batman Returns and was wonderful as you note in both mother! and in a small role in Murder on the Orient Express. last year.

Another film which she stars in which I really must see soon is Scarface (I've got it but have never seen it, unforgivably).
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 684
    One of my favorite Pfeiffer films is STARDUST.

I'm also the rarest breed of person -- i.e. those who, if pushed to choose, would go GREASE 2 over GREASE.
    I quite liked Bridge of Spies as well. I didn't realize the Coens had involvement there. I haven't seen Unbroken and don't know anything about it.
    Solid film. It's based on the real life of an Olympian who was shot down in the Pacific during WWII and survived in a raft for like 6 or 7 weeks before being captured by the Japanese and shuffled through their POW camps. Angelina Jolie directed.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Night Train Murders (1975) dir. Aldo Lado. aka Last Stop on the Night Train. 88 Films blu-ray.
    Italian 'shocker' sort-of remake of Wes Craven's Last House on the Left (which I've not seen - seen the remake though) and a film that came under the Video Nasty umbrella in the 80s. Basically there is one scene which is quite nasty, but compared to today's films not much violence and what there is is not too graphic.
    Usual poor dubbing (though not the worst) and some of the early crowd scenes are ruined by people seeing the camera and reacting - worst/best is a small girl waving!
    The Fabulous Baker Boys

Glad to read that Pfeiffer nails the role in The Fabulous Baker Boys. I'll definitely purchase it soon. I've seen posters of that film online and it has a sort of retro flair to it, which appeals to me.

As mentioned earlier, I've always been a huge fan of hers and you're right, she did elevate a fairly mundane role in Wolf. I love the bit where she looks in absolute horror at Stewart Swinton (played by the always superb James Spader) as he does his little sniff routine. Of course she killed it in Batman Returns and was wonderful as you note in both mother! and in a small role in Murder on the Orient Express. last year.

Another film which she stars in which I really must see soon is Scarface (I've got it but have never seen it, unforgivably).
    I'm glad you mentioned that fantastic scene in Wolf. May well be the best one in the film. As he smells she has this terrified wide-eyed expression. They're both great in it. I also like Spader's "what an odd question." Intense stuff.

I too have yet to watch Scarface; only seen parts of it.
    Strog wrote: »
    I must take the time to watch it from beginning to end. I remember parts of it and it appeared to be engaging and imaginative.
    I like Stardust. Not an all time favorite but still a good one. Of Michelle Pfeiffer’s films, I most like Batman Returns, The Age of Innocence, The Prince of Egypt, Stardust, and What Lies Beneath.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I watched STARDUST in theatres and I didn't like it all that much. It has improved on me in recent times.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pfeiffer will always be remembered for BATMAN RETURNS.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE RETROSPECTIVE

film-thor.jpg

Like the Incredible Hulk, I didn't care much for Thor after watching this movie for the first time. He's not a character that's cool enough for me like Tony Stark or even Steve Rogers in the later MCU movies. I just don't find him appealing. I think Chris Hemsworth fits the role fine and he does well in this film. Having said that, I thought this film was fine. I enjoyed it, the cast was likable (even Natalie Portman), the humor was hit/miss, but not cringy, and it had a good flow. My only questions were: If Loki is a Frost Giant, how come he wasn't able to summon ice? How is he able to do magic? How was Thor able to summon the hammer at the end if he was dead? Not much more to say about this film. I think I liked both this and Hulk equally so I'll put them as tie.

Rankings:
    1. Iron Man
    2. The Incredible Hulk and Thor
    4. Iron Man 2
    Strog wrote: »
    I must take the time to watch it from beginning to end. I remember parts of it and it appeared to be engaging and imaginative.
    Definitely give it a full watch sometime. I can't say I'm a huge Vaughn fan, but his style really pairs well with that film for me.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I like Stardust. Not an all time favorite but still a good one. Of Michelle Pfeiffer’s films, I most like Batman Returns, The Age of Innocence, The Prince of Egypt, Stardust, and What Lies Beneath.
    What! It's been forever since I last saw that movie. I had no idea.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,698
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. Just wow. They really don't (and can't) make 'em like this anymore. Williams' score was equal to the first two. Ford and Connery rocked. Makes me almost cry that this level of film is behind us...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. Just wow. They really don't (and can't) make 'em like this anymore. Williams' score was equal to the first two. Ford and Connery rocked. Makes me almost cry that this level of film is behind us...

I love that film so much. I love it more Raiders; sue me purists.

I love that film so much. I love it more Raiders; sue me purists.

I'll put up the lawyer costs. This movie is so great, so heartfelt... and Dad & Son sharing a girl... oh, well, okay, not the main thing here... but damn this movie made me cry!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @FoxRox
    I love Temple Of Doom even more than those two. So sue me, purists. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @FoxRox

I'll admit, it's my go-to Indy.
    Temple of Doom is good too, but weaker than Raiders and Crusade. It’s too tonally inconsistent, plus Willie and Short Round are obnoxious. I will say though that it’s far better than Crystal Skull, and Mola Ram is probably my favorite Indy villain.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @FoxRox

I'll admit, it's my go-to Indy.

Count me in the TOD club.
    Killshot (2008) - Diane Lane and a very impressive cast in a Leonard Elmore written tale about an hired killer down on his luck. Not a great movie but the very good cast delivers a very good thriller that could be considered noir.

Punisher Warzone (2008) - Another attempt at filming the Punisher and too be honest I quite like this movie, it is directed by a female, it delivers good action and the Punisher here feels like the real thing from the comics. The quite good cast deliver a movie that is definitely not meant for kiddies Just like the character was never meant to be I guess. The Punisher is great even if he is played by a Brit and the villains are menacing, just as I like my villains even if the get to die.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,730
    HOSTILES
    All right I'm pleased to say that this is the final film of 2017 that I will see in theaters and now I can finally put together a full ranking of this past year.

Overall, I would say this film, is a good one, go out and watch it. Hostiles had the impossible task of following up PHANTOM THREAD which was the experience of the year so I had to make sure my expectations were in check before I went out to watch this film that I have been awaiting for a while now. I had been excited for this film for a long time because it has two things I really like, its a western, and it stars Christian Bale. Now we'll start at the performances, Bale gives an Oscar worthy performance as Joe, and its sad to see he wasnt even nominated. He portrays this angry character that is full of hate towards native Americans and how he emotionally struggles with how he is supposed to now help one under orders from his superior. Rosamund Pike tries to portray a recently widowed woman and she does okay for the most part but there is some questionable acting on her part. Wes Studi and Ben Foster support very well in this film though Ben isnt in it for that much, so if your Bens biggest fan dont expect 2 hours of him. Next on the score, when it comes in towards the end of the film its amazing however it is noticeably absent from the rest of the film which is disappointing. The production design is amazing, you truly feel like you are entering the late 1800s and the costumes are wonderful. Now for this films absolute best piece, the cinematography. This film has some of the best shots I have ever seen, some to rival BR2049 and it wasn't even nominated. It would normally be the best cinematography of the year, no question, but BR2049 has to get it of coarse. Next on is the editing and this is where we get on to the stuff im not a huge fan of. Its kind of edited weirdly especially in the action sequences and it bothered me, maybe you wont care. The direction and the writing also is not very strong. I myself am not a huge fan of Scott Cooper, I dont like Black Mass I found it to be a snoozefest and this film shows some of the same problems he had there. He doesnt have the required good dialogue moments between characters sot that you care for them but rather has scenes that feel like they were written by a 5 year old trying to not so subtly convey a point. I feel like some of the themes he wanted to get across come through but because of how the story is written and the way the scenes play out a lot of themes dont quite work. Also the sound mixing kinda sucks I could only understand maybe 50% of what came out of characters mouths. However because of the cinematography, story, dialogue, and performances this film ends up actually feeling like a love letter to old school western films where a group of people are traveling somewhere and they stumble across brief flashes of bad shit where an action set piece goes down. And because of how the film comes together overall I did end up having a good time with this film. Also this film is balls to the wall insane like it gets pretty unpredictable towards the end and at the climax I was so invested with specifically Bale and his performance that I wanted to cheer and scream.

Its important to note that this film is extremely violent and disturbing and not very hopeful so if your not all about violence I would skip this one.

7/10

I found that the performances and cinematography combined with the set pieces and sub plots saved this films poor overall story and lack of dialogue coupled with a simple premise and poor direction to make an overall very enjoyable film, I do recommend seeing this.

Now for my full ranking of the past year.
    I rate films a little differently however, and this is the key for the system:
    10- Everything is literally perfect
    9-oscar worthy
    8-Strongly recommend buying on blu ray
    7- maybe buy it on blu ray if its on sale
    6-watch it in theatres
    5-maybe if you have time watch it in theatres
    4- rent it
    3- maybe if its on tv watch some of it
    2-shitty
    1-actively avoid this garbage
    0-actually nothing redeeming.

now for the ranking
    Phantom Thread 10/10
    mother! 10/10
    American Made 9/10
    Dunkirk 9/10
    Alien Covenant 8/10
    Blade Runner 2049 8/10
    T2: Trainspotting 8/10
    The disaster artist 8/10
    Spiderman homecoming 8/10
    A cure for wellness 7/10
    Hostiles 7/10
    Kong skull island 7/10
    Atomic Blonde 7/10
    Meyerowitz stories 7/10
    Kingsman 2 7/10
    IT 6/10
    The little hours 6/10
    Get out 6/10
    Murder on the orient express 6/10
    The foreigner 6/10
    The last viceroy 5/10
    Darkest hour 4/10
    Pirates of the Caribbean 4/10
    Thor Ragnarok 4/10
    Guardians of the galaxy 2 4/10
    Logan lucky 3/10
    Star Wars the last jedi 2/10
    Justice league 2/10
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,294
    No Lady Bird or The Shape of Water? Too bad. I am actually going to see Phantom Thread tonight - pretty hyped. I’ve only seen two of PTA’s films so far (Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood), but loved them both.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    No Lady Bird or The Shape of Water? Too bad. I am actually going to see Phantom Thread tonight - pretty hyped. I’ve only seen two of PTA’s films so far (Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood), but loved them both.

now listen, Ive hyped it up quite a bit, you will probably go in with expectations that cant be met. Saying that, realize that its a slow movie that is really a character piece and is more thematically deep then spectacle, and the way the film ends may upset some but if you look back on the whole film the decision makes sense. I hope you enjoy it, tell us what you think.
    Got it. I’m not expecting it to top There Will Be Blood, but I expect something solid.