Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Very underwhelmed. Played out more like a miniseries than a motion picture. The characters were all pretty basic, which made it hard to understand the attempted injections of drama into the narrative. Could have been an offbeat slasher comedy, or a spooky horror romance but can't make it's mind up.

6/10

I like that one. Had a lot of solid comedy; another "horror" that isn't really scary, but I have some fond memories of that film.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Happy Death Day (2017). This was a totally watchable film, but not very exceptional. I like that it was kind of like a blend of Groundhog Day and Scream, but it wasn't as great as either of those individual films. It was serviceable. Good for a casual watch, but definitely not among the year's best.

Is it a comedy I saw a trailer a few months back, it looked fun in a mindless sense.

It was far more comedy-oriented than horror-oriented. I wasn't scared once. I chuckled a couple times, but to be honest the comedy is sort of hit-and-miss. It's a totally acceptable film, but lacks originality. If you want to watch it as a horror movie, you will be disappointed. As a comedy, a little better; honestly it's sort of a drama film too in some ways.

I don't my a bit of schlock on occasion, some horror comedy's can be amusing if you just want a film to switch off too. I'll see if it's on any of the streaming services.

It's not bad. Just don't expect something great.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Very underwhelmed. Played out more like a miniseries than a motion picture. The characters were all pretty basic, which made it hard to understand the attempted injections of drama into the narrative. Could have been an offbeat slasher comedy, or a spooky horror romance but can't make it's mind up.

6/10

I like that one. Had a lot of solid comedy; another "horror" that isn't really scary, but I have some fond memories of that film.
    Happy Death Day (2017). This was a totally watchable film, but not very exceptional. I like that it was kind of like a blend of Groundhog Day and Scream, but it wasn't as great as either of those individual films. It was serviceable. Good for a casual watch, but definitely not among the year's best.

Is it a comedy I saw a trailer a few months back, it looked fun in a mindless sense.

It was far more comedy-oriented than horror-oriented. I wasn't scared once. I chuckled a couple times, but to be honest the comedy is sort of hit-and-miss. It's a totally acceptable film, but lacks originality. If you want to watch it as a horror movie, you will be disappointed. As a comedy, a little better; honestly it's sort of a drama film too in some ways.

I don't my a bit of schlock on occasion, some horror comedy's can be amusing if you just want a film to switch off too. I'll see if it's on any of the streaming services.

Not released in the UK for a few weeks, I don't mind that Horror sub genre.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)

6/10

I love this movie and watch it every Halloween season; it’s Tim Burton’s homage to Hammer films. For me , a modern classic.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sleepy Hollow (1999)

6/10

Not released in the UK for a few weeks, I don't mind that Horror sub genre.
    I agree that it's not particularly frightening or funny. I'd class it more of a pseudo thriller. It's distinctly average, but Jessica Rothe is very good in it.
    BLACK SUNDAY (1976)
    Director John Frankenheimars exciting if ludicrous thriller about Black September terrorists recruiting a disturbed Vietnam veteran to aid them in carrying out an attack on American soil during the Superbowl! The lovely but deadly Marthe Keller is the terror leader and the great Bruce Dern is the airship pilot they enlist. The plan is to set off an explosion from the blimp which releases thousands of steel darts killing many of the spectators. Robert Shaw is the anti terrorist who uncovers the plan and it builds to a thrilling finish accompanied by a pounding John Williams score! Frankenheimar does his usual sterling direction. Really enjoyable film.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    BLACK SUNDAY (1976)
    Director John Frankenheimars exciting if ludicrous thriller about Black September terrorists recruiting a disturbed Vietnam veteran to aid them in carrying out an attack on American soil during the Superbowl! The lovely but deadly Marthe Keller is the terror leader and the great Bruce Dern is the airship pilot they enlist. The plan is to set off an explosion from the blimp which releases thousands of steel darts killing many of the spectators. Robert Shaw is the anti terrorist who uncovers the plan and it builds to a thrilling finish accompanied by a pounding John Williams score! Frankenheimar does his usual sterling direction. Really enjoyable film.

I've never seen that,but any film with Robert Shaw and Bruce Dern in it,is good enough for me !

I will look out for it.

Oceans 11 -12 - 13 - While the first one is nice and smooth heist movie the next two are gradually worse. While the cast keeps repeating their little joke only the first one is really worth your time. The rest is so-so and can be better spend with other heist movies.
    BLACK SUNDAY (1976)

I wish they would release this one on dvd or bluray, it is Harris only non-Hannibal Lector book. I do remember Marthe Keller and she was always brilliant and lovely.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,443
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Oceans 11 -12 - 13 - While the first one is nice and smooth heist movie the next two are gradually worse. While the cast keeps repeating their little joke only the first one is really worth your time. The rest is so-so and can be better spend with other heist movies.

13 is my favorite. 12 was decent but odd. Total drop off from 11, which is tied with 13 for me
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    12 is the best of the trilogy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I like all three of them.

12, while not the best, is the ballsiest of them all because it goes out of the way and tells an original story rather than repeating more of the same. 13 was a safe play over the success of the first.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    12 is the best of the trilogy.

Which part do you enjoy?
    The plot is filled with holes and deus ex machinas and that awful Julia Roberts nonsense....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I didn't like 12 all that much myself, primarily because of Roberts, but also because I didn't care for the Zeta Jones character and her family b/s. The theft scene at the end with the great Vincent Cassel was pretty cool though even if the whole bit about how he was duped seemed far too convenient. I enjoyed the music during that scene.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    What gets me about the premise of 12 is that it undoes everything from 11 by having to pay back Benedict. It starts off good with them having to pull jobs in a short time and the stolen egg competition, but once the whole Julia Roberts is not Julia Roberts and everyone ends up in the clink is when it got weird.

13 was a safe play as stated earlier and had a retro feeling of the 11.
    BLACK SUNDAY (1976)

I wish they would release this one on dvd or bluray, it is Harris only non-Hannibal Lector book. I do remember Marthe Keller and she was always brilliant and lovely.

Had to purchase my copy from Spain! Overdue a bluray release.
    You are right, Marthe Keller is indeed lovely! Love the way she just casually strips in front of Dern when he's having a meltdown!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sat down for SUPER MARIO BROS for the first time in my life. Never gonna happen again. Terrible.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Sat down for SUPER MARIO BROS for the first time in my life. Never gonna happen again. Terrible.

I think it s fun.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,361

THERE IS A SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE?!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It might be more up Balje s street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._(film)

Agreed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

It is absolutely dreadful. Despite the interesting cast, nothing warrants a second viewing of this film.
    It's a guilty pleasure of mine. :D
    That of course I can respect, @Murdock. I have a few of those myself. ;-)
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 684
    @JamesBondKenya Bit late, just catching up on the thread, but great review of PHANTOM THREAD! You've certainly hyped me up. I'm going to see it early next week. It's felt like too long since the underrated INHERENT VICE came out. Glad PTA is back.
    IT 2017.

I enjoyed it a lot. Though I prefer the 1990 mini series when it came to the chapter they told. Looking forward to the sequel.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,361
    Murdock wrote: »

That looked absolutely horrible! Wonder what they paid Dennis Hopper to appear in this one!
    That looked absolutely horrible! Wonder what they paid Dennis Hopper to appear in this one!

It really is something else. The first video game adaptation movie ever and it's nothing like the games at all. Stories about the behind the scenes are more interesting and entertaining than the movie itself. Pretty much all the actors were drunk during production. :))
    Murdock wrote: »

It really is something else. The first video game adaptation movie ever and it's nothing like the games at all. Stories about the behind the scenes are more interesting and entertaining than the movie itself. Pretty much all the actors were drunk during production. :))

That doesn't surprise me one bit, hahaha!