Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,878
    It seems several films and shows in the eighties had "cutesy" titles: The Goonies, The Biskitts, The Wuzzles, The Monchhichis... you get the picture.

The fluffy picture.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Films like Stand By Me, Explorers and The Goonies are films I have nostalgia for though that's down to the fact I was the same age as the kids in the films when they were released.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I would have gone for THE OMEN.

Rosemary’s Baby.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight: Finally, a rewatch of Spielberg's MUNICH, after I found out it was reissued on Blu-ray after a long wait. Brilliant film, one of his best...not necessarily one of his most popular, most accessible, most pleasant. But great acting (not to mention direction), great recreation of the 70s, and something to think about. I remember vividly (from TV reports I watched then, in my family's summer vacation 1972) what happened in Munich, and I can totally relate to the Israelis' efforts to retaliate against those involved. But the movie lets you decide for yourself if it was legit to kill all those people supposedly involved, and whether it was worth it. And quite rightly so.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I would have gone for THE OMEN.

Rosemary’s Baby.

Ah 100% right
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Tonight: Finally, a rewatch of Spielberg's MUNICH, after I found out it was reissued on Blu-ray after a long wait. Brilliant film, one of his best...not necessarily one of his most popular, most accessible, most pleasant. But great acting (not to mention direction), great recreation of the 70s, and something to think about. I remember vividly (from TV reports I watched then, in my family's summer vacation 1972) what happened in Munich, and I can totally relate to the Israelis' efforts to retaliate against those involved. But the movie lets you decide for yourself if it was legit to kill all those people supposedly involved, and whether it was worth it. And quite rightly so.

Great film. I remember seeing this upon the announcement that Craig was becoming Bond and had never seen anything with him prior. Loved the casting of Lonsdale and Dominic Greene actor can't spell it without butchering it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Great film. I remember seeing this upon the announcement that Craig was becoming Bond and had never seen anything with him prior. Loved the casting of Lonsdale and Dominic Greene actor can't spell it without butchering it.

Favorite film of all time right there, brilliant stuff. I go out of my way to avoid it so it feels as fresh as possible every time I fire it up - speaking of, been about a year or two now, it's high time I watch it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Me too. I own it but haven't watched it for a few years
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have had Munich on dvd for years still not watched it, if it's on Bluray I may buy it will give me the incentive to finally watch it. P.S. I only watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time a year ago or so.
    Ava Gardner theme night tonight with....

THE BIBLE...IN THE BEGINNING (1966)

Three hour biblical epic with GEORGE C SCOTT, AVA, PETER O'TOOLE, FRANCO NERO and 007 alumni, GABRIELE FERZETTI and ROBERT RIETTY.
    I enjoyed it immensely, though I probably should have saved it for Easter.

THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA (1954)

Has-been film director HUMPHREY BOGART discovers a dancer (AVA) in Madrid and brings her to stardom. Probably one of my favorite 1950's color Bogart films as well as a top 5 Ava film. However, it's one I haven't watched as often and tend to forget is in my collection. Perhaps it's the inferior early DVD transfer? I may need to upgrade this to blu-ray.
    This year so far, minus 1:

Io sono l'amore - I Am Love (2009)
    Luca Guadagnino, so... Tilda Swinton shines as the lead here.

Melissa P. (2005)
    Luca Guadagnino, so... Early on I had to pause to check who was playing the protagonist, she looked familiar, but...? Maria Valverde - of course. A rather unpleasant watch in many places, but good nevertheless.

Interstellar (2014)
    I wanted to have a closer look at young Tom Cooper, therefore a re-watch of this. My favourite thing about this movie remains the score. My goodness. Already early on, that drive through the cornfield... I'm adding volume and going mmmmm... Bliss.

La Grande Bellezza (2013)
    Finally got around to watching this. It's... interesting. I think I prefer Youth, but maybe I'll need a re-watch (of both).

Nocturnal Animals (2016)
    This has been on my re-watch list since I saw it for the first time, in theatre, and since I now also needed to have a better look at Susan's second husband it was a good time for that re-watch.
    I'm sure Tom Ford is otherwise busy as well, but can he please make more movies? Both of his are wonderful.

Darkest Hour (2017)
    Well, it's good. A Gary Oldman show basically. I've always liked him as an actor and wish he had won an Oscar years ago. Now that he will - how could he not? - I'm kinda torn. He was great here, but wouldn't be getting my vote this year if I had one. (I'm siding with major critics groups like NYFCC, LAFCA and London, etc. on this.) But I saw how moved he was at GG and SAG, seemed like it really meant a lot despite some earlier comments to the contrary, so I can't really begrudge him his Oscar, either (which will surely be preceded by BAFTA).

A Time To Kill (1996)
    A pretty good legal drama, based on a John Grisham novel. Matthew McConaughey is the lead, but Samuel L. Jackson is the MVP.

Runaway Jury (2003)
    Another legal drama, also based an a John Grisham novel. Okay, but forgettable.

La Dolce Vita (1960)
    Federico Fellini's stylish classic.

The Infiltrator (2016)
    I've pretty much forgotten this already.

Mine (2016)
    Well this was a surprise. I knew nothing about the movie, and judging by the generic dvd cover I certainly didn't expect much. I assumed it would be run of the mill American soldiers in Middle East, or possibly Afghanistan (it was neither), and there'd be the usual stuff. I practically groaned at the thought, but I didn't even consider the possibility of not watching. Or doing any research on the movie (trailer, reviews, etc.), since I didn't need to know anything about it before watching it. I was definitely watching it anyway, so what would have been the point? Armie Hammer was in it, so. When I decide to watch somebody's work, I don't really discriminate, so I end up watching both the gems and the crap. To my complete surprise this was a gem and not at all the kind of movie I thought it to be. Shouldn't judge a movie by its cover. Those wanting to watch the war movie with action that the dvd cover seemed to suggest would likely be disappointed when they got something else entirely. I probably would have been bored by that, but was riveted by this.

A Bigger Splash (2015)
    Luca Guadagnino. A re-watch. Liked it more now. Tilda Swinton great again. Ralph Fiennes in a very interesting role for him.

All The Money In the World (2017)
    A good movie. Quite entertaining. Michelle Williams was easily the MVP here.

Hostiles (2017)
    Brutal, but humanist, too. I agree with @JamesBondKenya that Bale is fantastic in this. (I predict that Bale will be seen in even more Scott Cooper movies, and will likely be great in them, too. They are close friends.) But I disagree with @JamesBondKenya about Rosamund Pike - I thought she was great, too. (And btw, no problems with sound where I saw it, and I had no trouble understanding the dialogue.) A wonderful cast and excellent acting in general, as is normal with Scott Cooper. Beautiful cinematography. Max Richter's atmospheric score. (Pity about the distributor, the movie deserved better and basically got the shaft.)
    It cracks me up to think of Timothée Chalamet deciding to discuss American Psycho with Bale while they were waiting for some setup during the shoot. It seems so incongruous somehow, yet also entirely fitting - exactly the kind of thing I can imagine happening, so not remotely surprising. It's still funny to me, though.
    (Movie gods, please get those two together again, but on something where they get to work together more. Thx.)

The Eagle (2011)
    Well that was a waste of time.

Toni Erdmann (2016)
    Weird and kinda interesting, but didn't manage to fully grab my attention.

The Post (2017)
    This was actually very good. More so than I expected. And the ending had me grinning from ear to ear. (I suspect some people watching didn't quite get it, though.)
    The ending of The Post was great. The whole movie also exceeded my expectations; it had very effective emotion.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 2,730
    @Tuulia Glad to hear you enjoyed Hostiles, it’s gotten better in my mind as I’ve thought more over it. The score, cinematography, performances, and production were all top notch excellent, and the old school western vibes were amazing. Though my complaints about the dialogue scenes and some of the films messeges still stand. Though I really enjoyed it inspite of that. Especially that insane ending.

On the other hand I got around to watching Lady bird because of all the buzz about how it’s so great and whatever. I mean it’s not, it’s okay. It’s got a couple really strong scenes with great dialogue and realistic characters but the movie as a whole doesn’t really tie together as neatly as it pretends to. Some of the themes are muddled in their execution and I didn’t really care for the films bog standard messeges about friendship or whatever. It felt like a poor mans version of manchester by the sea, which by the way I think is a masterful piece of cinema. This on the other hand has a couple good scenes but I felt on the whole, considering all the hype from it, I didn’t come out stunned like Manchester by the sea when after I watched it I was stunned at how invested I was in the story and how real the characters were. This film, I could tell was trying to go for that exact same feeling, and reached it at points, but ultimately by the end of the film I wasn’t too invested in the story as a whole. Not a bad film by any stretch but no masterpiece for sure. Just an average film.

Also I felt that the film used cheap tricks to make you care for the characters rather then actually building their personalities.

Hmm I don’t know quite how to grade this one according to my peculiar system maybe a 5.... for now at least.

I have to edit my post because I just realized that this film has a 99% on RT. Christ.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Winchester (2018)

Reviews haven’t been great on this but the wife and I wanted to watch this. Takes what seems like an age to get going and, when it does, while it isn’t too bad with the odd scare, it’s over very quickly. Just ok.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2018 Posts: 45,489
    THE FLYING DEUCES (1939)

I remember seeing this in the cinema as a kid. Good times. Never realized until now that Ming the Merciless was the Commandant in the Foreign Legion.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have had Munich on dvd for years still not watched it, if it's on Bluray I may buy it will give me the incentive to finally watch it. P.S. I only watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time a year ago or so.

That was the last time I watched it, actually, the day it arrived in the mail on blu-ray. Took them ages to get around to doing a blu-ray version of it, glad they finally had. Give it a go sometime and let me know your thoughts on the quality.
    Interstellar I seriously need to buy this in 4K I know this film divides opinion though I think it's a truly great cinematic experience.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Interstellar I seriously need to buy this in 4K I know this film divides opinion though I think it's a truly great cinematic experience.
    +1. Fantastic film. The only negative is the melodrama which gets a little excessive for me. Nolan and Zimmer are in exceptional form on this in my view, given the complexity of the story.
    bondjames wrote: »
    +1. Fantastic film. The only negative is the melodrama which gets a little excessive for me. Nolan and Zimmer are in exceptional form on this in my view, given the complexity of the story.

It does get over emotional at times though it does not drag for me, I regret not seeing this film at the cinema, the water planet sequence on my TV is impressive on a large screen it must have been mind blowing.

It does get over emotional at times though it does not drag for me, I regret not seeing this film at the cinema, the water planet sequence on my TV is impressive on a large screen it must have been mind blowing.
    I saw it on IMAX and I can say it was one of the top 5 greatest experiences I've had in a theatre. Very moving and completely engrossing from start to finish.

My favourite sequence is the entire docking scenario which is a masterclass in tension. "It's not possible". "No. It's necessary".

I saw it on IMAX and I can say it was one of the top 5 greatest experiences I've had in a theatre. Very moving and completely engrossing from start to finish.

My favourite sequence is the entire docking scenario which is a masterclass in tension. "It's not possible". "No. It's necessary".

I remember seeing it on Bluray for the first time it was jawdropping, 2001 is one of my favourite films as is The Planet of the Apes there are nods to both films, Nolan even when he uses CGI is meticulous in making everything look as real and practical as possible. On reflection the melodrama works as it adds to the passing of time and feeling of loss/absense, though Murphy lays it on thick admittedly.

I remember seeing it on Bluray for the first time it was jawdropping, 2001 is one of my favourite films as is The Planet of the Apes there are nods to both films, Nolan even when he uses CGI is meticulous in making everything look as real and practical as possible. On reflection the melodrama works as it adds to the passing of time and feeling of loss/absense, though Murphy lays it on thick admittedly.
    I agree. There's really nothing wrong with the sap given the story. It makes it resonate more, particularly given the loss to Cooper of the passage of time. I had not seen 2001 when I first saw Interstellar, so didn't realize the nods. I noticed it afterwards when I recently saw the Kubrick film. Very different approaches though.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,790

I agree. There's really nothing wrong with the sap given the story. It makes it resonate more, particularly given the loss to Cooper of the passage of time. I had not seen 2001 when I first saw Interstellar, so didn't realize the nods. I noticed it afterwards when I recently saw the Kubrick film. Very different approaches though.

There is more humanity in Interstellar, 2001 is all cerebral and very much a interpretation of a future, where humans were restrained and almost as robotic as the machines. In fact HAL demonstrates more human traits than the Uber disciplined astronauts at times. Admittedly I like Science fiction literature and films from the 50's, 60's and 70's as they represented a warning and alluded to how humanity may change and potential dangers.
    I agree @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . Different approach for different times. I believe Nolan intended to deliver a summer blockbuster and so he incorporated elements which would appeal to as many people (and sexes as possible). 2001 is indeed far more cerebral. Well put. It makes you think.
    What makes interstellar so good for me, and one of my favorite films of all time, is that there is literally nothing like it. It’s completely unique. The only film remotely similar is 2001, which I don’t really care for. Other than that there is absolutely nothing.
    What makes interstellar so good for me, and one of my favorite films of all time, is that there is literally nothing like it. It’s completely unique. The only film remotely similar is 2001, which I don’t really care for. Other than that there is absolutely nothing.

It is unique, bizarrely I have had a bit of a communication breakdown with my girlfriend, though talking about Interstellar helped sort out a disagreement. It's a great movie that I emotionally relate too.
    Interstellar and 2001 are both good sci-fi films, and both very different. They each place in the middle of my Kubrick and Nolan rankings.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Interstellar and 2001 are both good sci-fi films, and both very different. They each place in the middle of my Kubrick and Nolan rankings.

If a movie makes you think it's usually good.
    They both made me think so that aspect is good for sure. I can’t really complain about either too much, but both Kubrick and Nolan directed several films I personally prefer.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sorry not to be among the Interstellar aficionados. It was a rare case of both my wife and I being united in saying it was the epitome of pretentiousness. Maybe I'd change my mind upon a rewatch...the trouble being that I feel no temptation to rewatch it. My least favourite Nolan movie, and I like his earliest ones ("Memento") the best anyway.