barryt007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    This :

header.jpg?t=1505324064

Very average.
    A name on this cast list compelled me to avoid, and it wasn't Bruce.
    And this :

movieposter.jpg

This did make me chuckle out loud a few times,very rude,but I enjoyed it.
    Extremely crude humour, agreed. Watchable but Pena perhaps deserved better.

Christensen ?

And I agree,Pena did a good job with the material he had to work with.
    Yep, I'm afraid I still can't forgive Hayden for his past disgraces. I'm not over it.

Yeah,there are a few actors out there i'm not fond of.
    Shea Lebouef is one of them.
    Oh definitely, he's another one although with him I think it's more his off screen shenanigans that have been a distraction. He can be a reasonable actor. Good point though because he sort of messed up Crystal Skull (imho at least).

I feel that...he is the worst thing in that film.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    OF MICE AND MEN (1939)

Been looking for this for quite some time and found a copy today at a pawn shop. Great story, writing, direction and an amazing pre-Wolf Man performance by Lon Chaney Jr.
    I loved every frame! With Burgess Meredith, Bob Steele and Noah Berry Jr.

Now I want to find the John Malkovich remake and watch it.

Only seen the Malkovich/Sinise version. It is terrific.
    BLOCK-HEADS (1938)

Great fun. I have noticed that Laurel and Hardy would reuse some of their gags from the shorts in a few feature films.

ROCKY IV (1985)

I haven't seen any of these in over 25 years. I missed the two most recent entries. I found a copy of this one for a couple bucks. I'd remembered it being the most fun of the franchise in that 1980's style. Tons of montages and flashbacks from the other films.
    The flashbacks compelled me to revisit.............

ROCKY (1976)

I'd forgotten how solid this was. So I picked up the blu ray today. I love the grittiness and overall dark vibe. Now I kind of want to find the others and work my way up to the latest films.
    I love the Rocky films. The only one I legitimately don't like is V.

I is a classic, II is a solid follow-up. III and IV are cartoons, but a blast, in almost a primal kind of way. ROCKY BALBOA and CREED are each a good enough time.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Two Columbo films. The most crucial game
    And Double exposure both with Robert Culp
    As the Murderer.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,692
    @bondjames I am about to go see the new Clint Eastwood film, The 15:17 to Paris, within the next couple of hours.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Enjoy @DaltonCraig007, and let us know how it goes. I'm still not sure if I'm going to catch that in the theatres so am curious to know what you think of it.
    ---
    As the Murderer.
    I love the Culp Columbo episodes (all of them). Superb stuff.
    Enjoy @DaltonCraig007, and let us know how it goes. I'm still not sure if I'm going to catch that in the theatres so am curious to know what you think of it.
    ---
    As the Murderer.
    I love the Culp Columbo episodes (all of them). Superb stuff.

Robert Culp was one of the best adversaries to Falk's Columbo, along with Jack Cassidy, Patrick McGoohan and Robert Vaughn. Solid performances by all of them!

Just finished the original NBC run of Columbo myself. Will be checking out the ABC episodes soon.
    @Torgeirtrap, some of the old regulars appear in the ABC series as well, including 'The Shat', McGoohan, and George Hamilton. While not quite up to the quality of the old series, the McGoohan ones are quite good imho.
    I should get some of the Columbo episodes. I haven't seen it in years.
    @Torgeirtrap, some of the old regulars appear in the ABC series as well, including 'The Shat', McGoohan, and George Hamilton. While not quite up to the quality of the old series, the McGoohan ones are quite good imho.

Did not now that! Will be more interesting going into those episodes, knowing that some "regulars" turn up as well!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,692
    The_15.17_to_Paris.png

Just got back home, @bondjames if you enjoyed Clint's previous film (Sully with Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart), you will most likely enjoy this one. Another short (94 minutes), to-the-point and straight-forward biopic by Clint Eastwood on a recent event that made the headlines across the world. I really like how Clint just tells the story he wants, touches the themes he wants without any subplots or unnecessary scenes. Given that the 3 American soldiers who help thwart the terrorist board the Thalys train in 2015 play themselves in the film, it allowed a very nice homage scene at the very end, with footage Eastwood filmed with the soldiers (as themselves) meeting the then-current French President mixed with actual archive footage of the same ceremony with the 3 soldiers and President Hollande. It not a groundbreaking film, but it is great to see that Eastwood at almost 88 years old now has still got it and know how to tell an interesting story in a very efficient way that kept me hooked from start to finish.
    Glad to read your review @DaltonCraig007. I did enjoy Sully quite a bit but I'll admit a lot of that was due to Hanks (who I love watching onscreen). I can imagine what you're saying about this film because Clint does tend to have a no nonsense style about his directing. Just gets to it procedurally (a bit like Campbell). That's refreshing in today's arty environment. I didn't know that the soldiers play themselves in the film. That's even more impressive then, because they're not actors.
  • Strog wrote: »
    I love the Rocky films. The only one I legitimately don't like is V.

I is a classic, II is a solid follow-up. III and IV are cartoons, but a blast, in almost a primal kind of way. ROCKY BALBOA and CREED are each a good enough time.

V is still worth watching, but it's definitely the weakest.
    If not for the lackluster V was though, we never would have had Rocky Balboa 2006! Stallone has always said he hated letting the series end with V!

BTW am I the only one who hates calling it "Rocky Balboa"? I actually made a custom Bluray cover for my copy that says Rocky VI :))
    Definitely, @Master_Dahark. Worth it just for the sake of completion.
    BTW am I the only one who hates calling it "Rocky Balboa"? I actually made a custom Bluray cover for my copy that says Rocky VI :))
    I initially referred to it as VI then realized it was called something else, thinking for a second it was just plain BALBOA (which I actually prefer) but then I remembered it was the full ROCKY BALBOA.
    I'm watching ROCKY BALBOA right now actually, and picked up the 2nd film as well. So far I like this 6th one a lot. I probably would have called it ROCKY VI as well, though.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    ROCKY BALBOA is awesome. Very smart and true to the character.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m a big Rocky fan, and while I’ve enjoyed all of the moves, maybe not 5 so much, the original and Rocky Balboa are my two favorites and can be watched as one , long, movie.
    With that said I wish Sly had cast a more charismatic performer as Mason Dixon; Antonio Tarver was the week link. I’ve always thought that Ll Cool J would have been perfect.
    That bit pic aside, these to films bookend the series nicely.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m a big Rocky fan, and while I’ve enjoyed all of the moves, maybe not 5 so much, the original and Rocky Balboa are my two favorites and can be watched as one , long, movie.
    With that said I wish Sly had cast a more charismatic performer as Mason Dixon; Antonio Tarver was the week link. I’ve always thought that Ll Cool J would have been perfect.
    That bit pic aside, these to films bookend the series nicely.

I loved ROCKY BALBOA. Might be my favorite after the first, though I still haven't seen III. I'll have to track that one down.
    Mason Dixon seemed a rather indifferent opponent when compared to the others.
    I'm watching II as I post this. So far it's great.
    I want to see the much disliked 5th ROCKY film again. I haven't seen it since it was released on VHS and my folks rented it. In spite of it's shortcomings I have a feeling I'd like it as well.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just watched THE FLORIDA PROJECT by Sean Baker. I have yet to finish my annual Top Ten list (for 2017), but there is still much to see. At this point this film stands at number 2. Very good film.

I’d like to see your other favorites. I loved 2017 in film.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I just watched THE FLORIDA PROJECT by Sean Baker. I have yet to finish my annual Top Ten list (for 2017), but there is still much to see. At this point this film stands at number 2. Very good film.

I’d like to see your other favorites. I loved 2017 in film.

I found it to be a very weak year, (sadly, I've thought that of every year since 1980 pretty much), but I've yet to see THE SHAPE OF WATER and THREE BILLBOARDS, both are supposed to be excellent.

Thus far my list includes the aforementioned FLORIDA PROJECT, DUNKIRK (#1), WONDER WHEEL, THOR and GET OUT.

I need to see Florida Projecf and Thor at least. The Shape of Water is my #1 so I hope you dig that one.
    @Birdleson did you give the new Blade Runner a watch?
    The Shape of Water premieres here on the 23rd. Glad to see that, I was beginning to worry it didn t get a screening here.
    THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (1936)
    ab6e149691b26a5932f12a2510751181.jpg

Gypsy romanticism.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Trains, planes and automobiles, a fantastic classic comedy great.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Trains, planes and automobiles, a fantastic classic comedy great.

Might be my favourite comedy of all time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Happy to hear more positivity about The Florida Project, one of the few left from 2017 that I'm dying to see. Anyone who enjoyed it should check out the director's previous film done solely on an iPhone, Tangerine. Very unique and engaging.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    HERBIE

herbie.png

Yes, it's that old Disney car! I love it. Sue me. A childhood favourite of mine.

(1) The Love Bug (1968)

The_Love_Bug_23.jpg

Wonderfully sweet little film. Love it.
    4/5

(2) Herbie Rides Again (1974)

hqdefault.jpg

Good sequel, though no explanation is given as to how Herbie found a new owner.
    (4/5)

(3) Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977)

1220251395.jpg

My favourite of the bunch. Critics say it's not the best. Could be; I prefer this one over the rest. No idea how Herbie got returned to Jim Douglas but I don't care either. Fun villains too. Quite the adventure.
    (4.5/5)

(4) Herbie Goes Bananas (1980)

hqdefault.jpg

No, not Herbie. The filmmakers went bananas. This is a terrible film. Not funny, not even to a 5-year-old. Regurgitating jokes from when we were in kindergarten just isn't the same as making a good comedy. Terrible film. Herbie isn't even called "Herbie" most of the time, but "Ocho", which means "8", because 5 + 3 = 8. Get it? Huh? Funny, huh? Wow...
    (1/5)

The Love Bug (1997)

lovebug1997-2.jpg

Cheap television film with Bruce Campbell and -- hey, a film with Bruce Campbell! I'm game. Oh and John Hannah too. Strikes a somewhat darker tone by putting Herbie in a fight with a "Christine" kind of Herbie 2.0. Despite its poor production design and some flaws that naturally come with cheap television writing, I have a soft spot for this one.
    (3/5)

Herbie Fully Loaded (2005)

hero_EB20050621REVIEWS506210301AR.jpg

Okay, don't hate me. I really like this film. Lindsay Lohan before she herself was fully loaded, Justin Long--whom I love in everything he does--and Michael Keaton; it's hard to go wrong, right? Okay, Matt Dillon is acceptable, though I have passionately hated the man since THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY. Good music, good production design, a fine Disney film set in a more modern age. Respects the Herbie tradition very much.
    (4/5)
    Herbie Rides Again is one of my all-time favourites since seeing it in the cinema as a kid.