Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

I got to see PHANTOM THREAD at a matinee yesterday. In terms of PTA's work, I'd put it behind PUNCH DRUNK LOVE and THERE WILL BE BLOOD, roughly on par with INHERENT VICE, but ahead of everything else. I can see the potentiality of moving it ahead of IV after a rewatch.

I adored Vicky Krieps. She was marvelous, and I can't wait to see what she does next. (It nearly goes without saying that Day-Lewis was outstanding as well. If this is his last role, it's a wonderful performance to go out on.) As always PTA keeps the film evolving throughout so that you're never quite sure what's around the corner. Must've been about two-thirds of the way through when I decided that I really liked what he was going for, which is kind of late -- but that wait sort of makes for the reward. It's also a beautiful film. He did a great job doing the photography himself.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @FoxRox
    I love Temple Of Doom even more than those two. So sue me, purists. :)

I'll admit, it's my go-to Indy.

Count me in the TOD club.
    Me too. TOD then Raiders then LC.

--

Good list, @JamesBondKenya. I still have a few of those to see, DARKEST HOUR being one. Disappointed it's only a 'rent it' on your list -- am hoping for more. Also yet to see SHAPE OF WATER and GET OUT. No LADY BIRD? I was surprised how much I liked that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,615
    @JamesBondKenya, glad you seemed to enjoy Hostiles, I can't wait to see it. I still have several I need to get around to, this one included, and particularly The Shape of Water.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Really enjoyable movie, plenty of action and laughs.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @JamesBondKenya, glad you seemed to enjoy Hostiles, I can't wait to see it. I still have several I need to get around to, this one included, and particularly The Shape of Water.

The Shape of Water probably wins my #1 spot in a super impressive year.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The Shape of Water probably wins my #1 spot in a super impressive year.

I've tried to avoid as much about the film as possible, including all trailers and footage, but the one trailer I did see immediately told me the film is likely something special.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited February 2018 Posts: 2,730
    I haven’t seen lady bird or the shape of water because neither really interested me. I will get around to them and rent them probably but I just wasn’t really grabbed by the trailer.

@Strog Conercning DARKEST HOUR, people really like it and it got nominated for all the oscars and such but maybe I missed something because I really didn’t like it. The first half an hour is really good because it’s like look it’s old England look at the make up! Isn’t oldman great! Look it’s king James! Look it’s chamberlain. And I love british history but after that first half an hour there was no story and no character arc and it was basically a film about showing off the great makeup and performance with Oldman and would have worked better as a short film. But hey other people really like this films so what do I know.
    Phantom Thread. Totally original, extremely well-done film. Worth the hype, and a very worthy sendoff for Day-Lewis.
    Very glad you enjoyed it
    Heck yes. I’m very glad it was made; it had several things I haven’t seen in other films that were disturbing but relatable to my own life. PTA so far is 3 for 3 in the films I’ve seen him direct.
    I have a theory about the reason for the climax, pm me if you are interested.
    Spider-Man Homecoming.

Really enjoyed this film. Great to see Michael Keaton on the screen again. Think Holland is brilliantly suited for where they have pitched Peter Parker as Spider-Man in this universe in going forward. His best mate had me laughing so much too.
    The Goonies (1985). Didn’t care much for this cult classic.
  • mattjoesmattjoes It's Neil Connery's world, we're just living in it.
    Me neither.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Goonies are not good enough?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,303

Sorry not a favorite for me. I think it’s one of those things people like a lot more if they grew up with it.

• FoxRox wrote: »

Sorry not a favorite for me. I think it’s one of those things people like a lot more if they grew up with it.

It must be a rather nostalgia-powered film. I'm all about the 80s but I never cared for The Goonies either I'm afraid, either as a kid or adult.
    It's been a while.. and I've watched a lot of movies. But then... when you accidentally delete a loooong list of movies you've kept for your records... you... umm... at least you save some poor forum members from going through a veeery long list indeed. But a shorter version, then, yes? Let's see what I remember having watched the last couple of months of last year... (I think this is about half of them.)

Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
    Howard Hawks. Cary Grant. So...

The Wizard Of Oz (1939)
    Both the sepia section and the really colourful section look great. The songs are irritating. Still a classic and interesting as such.

L'assassin habite au 21 (1942)
    I expected a dark crime story, got a comedy instead. Didn't mind though, it was entertaining.

Le Corbeau (1943)
    An interesting film by Clouzot. Has anyone seen both this and Otto Preminger's The 13th Letter (1951), and if so, how do they compare?

Gilda (1946)
    A film noir classic. Beautiful cinematography, beautiful Rita Hayworth.

Desert Fury (1947)
    Surprisingly gay, considering the time. Kinda good.

Sunset Boulevard (1950)
    Obviously a classic. A must for cinephiles.

Singin' In The Rain (1952)
    An entertaining classic.

The Sniper (1952)
    Pretty good.

From Here To Eternity (1953)
    Wild River (1960)
    Judgment At Nuremberg (1961)
    A continuation of my exploration into Montgomery Clift's filmograhy.

Lilith (1964)
    Looks good. Not really a fan of the movie otherwise. (Or of Warren Beatty.)

The Chase (1966)
    Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford. A good (though depressing) depiction of disgusting mob mentality escalating into violence.

Fantastic Voyage (1966)
    Umm, well, this was then... Really hard not to roll eyes and get bored, though, sorry to say.

Barefoot In The Park (1967)
    Eeh... okay... I think this was supposed to be fun, but I didn't find it so.

Barbarella (1968)
    Oh for goodness sakes, wtf was that? Was this made for 13 year old boys?

Papillon (1973)
    I'm pretty sure I liked this more as a kid. Now it seemed just... men being horrible to other men, just because, and you know, two and a half hours of misery and torture. and in the end... what's the bloody point?

American Graffiti (1973)
    Okay I guess. I've mostly forgotten it already though.

Höstsonaten - Autumn Sonata (1978)
    A drama of strained family relationships, especially between mother (Ingrid Bergman) and her adult daughter (Liv Ullman).

The Electric Horseman (1979)
    Sydney Pollack. Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. Pretty good.

9 to 5 (1980)
    Rrright... Kinda irritating, too on the nose, and not funny (though it tries), but was probably cool in 1980... maybe.

Querelle (1982)
    This was certainly interesting stylistically, like filmed in a theatre set, and theatrical in lighting and acting style. I sort of both liked this and didn't, but it made me curious of Fassbinder's other work. This was his last movie.

Paris, Texas (1984)
    Harry Dean Stanton, R.I.P.

The Reflecting Skin (1990)
    A visually beautiful, but disturbing and creepy film. Loved it.

Night Train (1998)
    Watched for John Hurt, such a lovely actor. An okay movie.

The Matrix (1999)
    This seemed so cool and all when it came out. Now it's... okay.

Enemy At The Gates (2001)
    Well... it tried hard. Kinda meh, though.

Adaptation (2002)
    This was peculiar, in a good way.

V For Vendetta (2005)
    Meh.

The Social Network (2010)
    I keep trying with this movie. Never was a fan. Love the Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross score, though. Also, I've loved Edvard Grieg's In The Hall Of The Mountain King since I was a kid, and may now forever associate it with the Winklevoss twins - which I don't mind. At all. And I might actually be warming up to the movie a little bit now... (Bless Luca Guadagnino for watching this. - I'll get back to that...)

Mirror Mirror (2012)
    A weird movie. Was this peculiarly soulless fairy tale made for kids or for adults? Seems like it wouldn't work for either. Armie Hammer under the influence of puppy love magic potion had me briefly in stitches though, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

What Maisie Knew (2012)
    I thought this might be just a boring divorce drama with a kid caught in the middle, but it was actually good, and well acted.

The Lone Ranger (2013)
    A re-watch. I had seen this the previous Christmas, and the circumstances weren't ideal. I liked it a lot more this time. An entertaining, mostly lighthearted romp. (Bless Luca Guadagnino for watching this, too.)

The Homesman (2014)
    This was an unusual and intriguing Western for a long stretch. Until towards the end it wasn't.

The Salvation (2014)
    Mads Mikkelsen and Eva Green in a Western - obviously needed to watch.

Love & Mercy
    Forgettable.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
    I hadn't been in any hurry to watch this, it was just one of the countless maybe-see-some-day movies. And then in December I developed a need to see it ASAP. So I watched. And blimey, it was entertaining and fun. Want to see it again already.

The Adderall Diaries (2015)
    Love The Coopers (2015)
    Around the same time I also developed a need to see these movies, neither of which I had ever even heard of before.
    Neither was great, but not too bad either, and made for some interesting enough research.

The Little Prince (2015)
    Zootopia (2016)
    Christmas time viewing with young relatives. Both were actually very good.

The Vessel (2016)
    This was strange and fascinating. Probably not for most of you, but I really enjoyed it.

A Cure For Wellness (2016)
    Looked great. Sort of interesting, but ultimately mediocre, deteriorated towards the end. My friend and I weren't impressed.

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (2017)
    Well... not bad, I guess, but not really for me. Lots of talking, talking, talking. I don't remember much about it.

Mudbound (2017)
    Pretty good.

Get Out (2017)
    It's good and all, but but... certainly not one of the year's best for me.

in theatre:

Manifesto (2015)
    Weird but interesting art project. 13 x Cate Blanchett. (I think it was 13...)

Blade Runner 2049
    Looks gorgeous (well, duh!). It was interesting, but didn't really touch me.

The Killing Of a Sacred Deer
    A great cast, well acted, creepy, unpleasant. I wanted to like it more than I did, but didn't exactly dislike it, either.

Paddington 2
    Adorable. Hugh Grant was a fab villain, and Ben Whishaw is of course lovely as ever as Paddington. A lovely cast in general, and a lovely (and timely) story.

God's Own Country
    Very good. Great cast.
    Also involves a scene that was just totally unique in how it developed - from oh the poor thing is dead... hey, wait, what are you doing? ... shit I don't want to see that, even though it's dead, seriously... why? now wait a min...? hmmm? I seeeee... Awwwwwwww. (A side note: I like sheep.)

Murder On The Orient Express
    Okay, but nothing special.

Loving Vincent
    Beautiful work.

...to be continued with this year's haul so far..
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Good to see The Man from UNCLE getting more love.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Alien Covenant.
    Boring pretentious crap.

DOOM.
    Entertaining fun shlock.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,874
    I haven’t seen lady bird or the shape of water because neither really interested me. I will get around to them and rent them probably but I just wasn’t really grabbed by the trailer.

@Strog Conercning DARKEST HOUR, people really like it and it got nominated for all the oscars and such but maybe I missed something because I really didn’t like it. The first half an hour is really good because it’s like look it’s old England look at the make up! Isn’t oldman great! Look it’s king James! Look it’s chamberlain. And I love british history but after that first half an hour there was no story and no character arc and it was basically a film about showing off the great makeup and performance with Oldman and would have worked better as a short film. But hey other people really like this films so what do I know.

King James?!
    George, sorry.
    That’s just testament to what the film was able to teach me.
    Good to see The Man from UNCLE getting more love.

Ordered the blu-ray. And I want the sequel, too, pls. :)

Not goon enough.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The 80s were my decade but I’ve never understood the appeal of the Goonies.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The 80s were my decade but I’ve never understood the appeal of the Goonies.

I love a lot of 80s films, but that one just didn’t work for me. Not horrible, but not my cup of tea at all. For a somewhat similar 80s cheesy classic, I preferred Gremlins (which was referenced in Goonies).
    DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE (1961). Entertaining, but not on the level of Germi's follow-up SEDUCED AND ABANDONED, which was probably my favorite film I watched last year (the other contender would be THE APARTMENT).

FURY (1936). Also watched Fritz Lang's first Hollywood film. A shift in tone from what I have seen of his German work, but I don't mean that necessarily in a bad way. As with the above, I've also seen the follow-up to this one, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, though I slightly prefer FURY. The best American film I've seen from Lang so far is SCARLET STREET, which was just incredible.

A bunch of really annoying American brat kids, running around screaming at full volume for nearly 2 hours. Never mind the popcorn, what you really needed to sit through The Goonies was good strong ear plugs.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So The Goonies is the first movie to be mentioned on page 666. Interesting.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would have gone for THE OMEN.
  • Or Bedazzled.