No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

My favourite plots are when Bond has an equal to go against. 006 was probably the best opposite, Silva was good too, as was Scaramanga, and I see OHMSS's Blofeld at a level playing field. I'm not sure what the role would be, but Hardy would make a good opposite to Bond.

Another good casting would be Gal Gadot. With the Wonder Woman movie, she was represented as perfect - the best fighter, morals, and beauty. Obviously it won't happen with WW2 coming out, but it would be a good flip of the script to have her as the perfect villain.
    I’d like to see her as a Bond girl and/or villain at some point. Maybe Bond 26 or 27?
    I think the best way to write Madeleine out is just to imply she and Bond broke up. After all, he ends up with plenty of women in the old films who just disappear for the next.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think the best way to write Madeleine out is just to imply she and Bond broke up. After all, he ends up with plenty of women in the old films who just disappear for the next.

That's what I've preached for a while. For me anyway, Madeleine didn't make any sort of impact, so there's no sense in bringing her back when far better girls came and went, never being mentioned again.

I'm sure she'll return in some capacity if it does indeed end up being a continuation off of SP.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I makes sense for it to be a clean sweep when it comes to Craig's ladies being French.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think so. Mozzles on the baby. ;)
    23388-26825.jpg
    =)) Oh man, Captain Murdock always manages to make my day. Funny lad. =))

One rises to meet a challenge. ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,399
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    ...his ridiculously clickbaity time as James Bond...

i agree with your assessment... but the media / internet wasn't the same from 1995 - 2002 during the Brosnan era - and it was even less so the further back you go - media wise obviously, because the internet wasn't around pre-Brosnan...

it's not Craig's fault... it's the time in which we live.

and no doubt for whoever is Bond #7 - it will probably be even worse.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I heard Craig isn't on good terms with Hardy.

I wonder why. Something tells me it has to do with the Sienna Miller stuff.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TripAces wrote: »
    I heard Craig isn't on good terms with Hardy.

I wonder why. Something tells me it has to do with the Sienna Miller stuff.

Man, this would make for a great on, or off screen fight!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2017 Posts: 5,921
    Bond should have finished his “rookie” journey by the end of CR, and the rest should’ve had a professional MI-6 operative on the job, taking on some real villains without any personal vendetta.

Yep. With "the bitch is dead" and then "Bond, James Bond", that character arc was pretty much done. Not sure why they dragged it out for even longer in QoS and broke him down at the start of SF so they could do it again.

Say what you will about SP but they kept the fleshed out human seeming Bond and did something different with him. They finally understood that keeping the approach CR had didn't mean they had to repeat it.
    Exactly, hence my gripe with the Craig era and particularly SF (oh that one has a lot to answer for). I like QoS, but the film was handled wrongfully. SP has loads of flaws and one of them is having an inconsistent and insensible plot, but one of the things they got right about it is Bond’s characterization which is why I forgive it more than some others.

I get why CR ends as it does. The downer ending of OHMSS did not work with audiences, so they sent the film out on a triumphant note. And it worked.

But if they had ended CR with "The bitch is dead now," QoS would have made so much more sense.
    CR has a perfect ending. The depressing story with Vesper never leaves my mind, even though I’m also stoked to see Bond introduce himself to White and capture him. It’s both triumphant and sad. Same goes for SF. Bond loses M, but he is back in the service and has the classic crew surrounding him.
    CR is Craig's best ending, Followed by SP. he captures white & later blofeld crawling in fear.
    I’m sort of indifferent on SP’s ending. I like the throwback to classic Bond of him ending up with the Bond girl. It was wise to leave Blofeld alive, but it was painfully predictable how Bond was going to spare him. Implying Bond leaves MI6 is still iffy to me. I know the point is that he chooses Madeleine, but we all know it won’t stick anyway.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Implying Bond leaves MI6 is still iffy to me. I know the point is that he chooses Madeleine, but we all know it won’t stick anyway.
    He has to bring back the company car. Hopefully in...one piece.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,399
    Exactly, hence my gripe with the Craig era and particularly SF (oh that one has a lot to answer for). I like QoS, but the film was handled wrongfully. SP has loads of flaws and one of them is having an inconsistent and insensible plot, but one of the things they got right about it is Bond’s characterization which is why I forgive it more than some others.

i thought the plot of SP made perfect sense.. it was an attempt, by Spectre, to consolidate and control all the major nation's intelligence info - under the guise of a corporate 3rd Party named 9 Eyes... thus shutting down departments like MI6 and the CIA... with the information under their control, they could use it as blackmail - or to sell off the info to the highest bidder - or use the info for any one of their nefarious reasonings.... IMO, it's actually a very scary and realistic plot..

that should've been the main focus of the story - what weighs it down or makes it "inconsistent and insensible".. is the superfluous window dressing they added to it - the foster brother angle, Swann..... the one problem with the above though, is that they never really expressed or showed how dangerous all that info being in the wrong hands to be - that is it's one failing.. but the idea of it, is actually pretty horrifying.
    Implying Bond leaves MI6 is still iffy to me. I know the point is that he chooses Madeleine, but we all know it won’t stick anyway.
    He has to bring back the company car. Hopefully in...one piece.

MZDHkKm.png
    HASEROT wrote: »

i thought the plot of SP made perfect sense.. it was an attempt, by Spectre, to consolidate and control all the major nation's intelligence info - under the guise of a corporate 3rd Party named 9 Eyes... thus shutting down departments like MI6 and the CIA... with the information under their control, they could use it as blackmail - or to sell off the info to the highest bidder - or use the info for any one of their nefarious reasonings.... IMO, it's actually a very scary and realistic plot..

that should've been the main focus of the story - what weighs it down or makes it "inconsistent and insensible".. is the superfluous window dressing they added to it - the foster brother angle, Swann..... the one problem with the above though, is that they never really expressed or showed how dangerous all that info being in the wrong hands to be - that is it's one failing.. but the idea of it, is actually pretty horrifying.

I have to agree; the info control is not a bad plot, and it is realistic and scary. It was a nice modern touch that SP included. It did get overshadowed by stuff like the foster brother subplot and Swann being Bond's new big love interest. The movie is definitely overstuffed and suffers from a very meh third act. I'm no SP hater, but I must admit in several areas it is underwhelming.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    HASEROT wrote: »

I have to agree; the info control is not a bad plot, and it is realistic and scary. It was a nice modern touch that SP included. It did get overshadowed by stuff like the foster brother subplot and Swann being Bond's new big love interest. The movie is definitely overstuffed and suffers from a very meh third act. I'm no SP hater, but I must admit in several areas it is underwhelming.

I didn't mind it, either. But why in the world would they have headquarters in the middle of the damn desert??? And who is working there?

To me, a villain like Blofeld is scarier when he's in plain sight, one of the masses, employing ordinary people who think they work for a telecomm company.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I didn't mind it, either. But why in the world would they have headquarters in the middle of the damn desert??? And who is working there?

To me, a villain like Blofeld is scarier when he's in plain sight, one of the masses, employing ordinary people who think they work for a telecomm company.

why not have headquarters in the middle of the desert?... you are basically isolated by miles and miles of sand - you'd be able to see any adversary coming from literally, miles, away... it's a lot less silly than a hollowed out volcano ;)

and who cares who works there? they are obviously SPECTRE devotees - just like in the older films.
    Bringing in Nolan would give the franchise an additional boost (if it needed it). Nolan directing Bond would be a match made in heaven, but its whether EON would have the balls to do it. They've often shied away from such bold decisions in the past when it comes to big Hollywood action directors.

Nolan as director, and a script that relies heavily on true adapted Fleming storylines and scenes previously unused from the books is the only way to go forward IMO.

Every time they go for a low key drama director, and a script that is totally new, the films never work - Brosnan era, QoS, SF, SP.

It's no coincidence that the Dalton era and CR are the only decent things we've had out of the franchise for the past 30 years.

QOS: "Bond seeks REVENGE for the death of his GF"
    If my Goldfinger died, man I can tell you I would be out for revenge... :-))

Tim Dalton for a old man Logan style Bond after Dan would be interesting. Probably won't happen though.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Tim Dalton for a old man Logan style Bond after Dan would be interesting. Probably won't happen though.

Omg, that would be incredible. I always wanted a third Dalton film and that possibility never even crossed my mind. But that would be awesome.
    He would be more Patrick Stewart than High Jackson at that age.

No thanks.
    barryt007 wrote: »

No thanks.

Not even if they brought Kara back like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Terrible idea.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Old man Bond in general is a horrendous idea. I hope we don't go there with B25 and any discussion of Logan around here disappoints me.
    barryt007 wrote: »

No thanks.

Not even if they brought Kara back like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Don't even jest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I submit a request for a fifth Brosnan film.