DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    WW made about as much money as BvS, against a smaller budget, true, and with, according to some, less "appealing" characters than BvS, but I still don't think she is what Wolverine is/was to the X-Men series, or what Iron Man and Cap are to Avengers.

It's a curious thing if you think about it. These films can make "more money than god" (thanks, Alec) and still be considered overall failures because the sum total of all money invested all but equals the BO takes. People keep paying to see the films but critics keep dragging them through the dirt. "Everyone" is convinced that there are good ideas in these films but studio mandates force the finished products to be terrible disappointments and yet the studios continue to interfere.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,530
    RT are launched a new show called See it, Skip it and that was part of the reason why JL rating was delayed.

https://gizmodo.com/rotten-tomatoes-will-piss-everyone-off-by-delaying-just-1820445665

Ratings mean nothing to me I either enjoy or movie or I don't.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondsum wrote: »
    For me, every superhero movie is lowbrow entertainment. I really cannot understand how these movies can be critiqued as anything other than mindless comic-book nonsense. .

You haven t seen Watchmen, then?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,612
    Watchmen is well-made, well acted, well told. Its only mistake is that it tried to lift content from the comic book pages and paste it all over an entirely different medium, which means that some of Moore's densely packed ideas will inevitably be lost. It looks the same as the comic but it doesn't quite feel the same. Then again, Watchmen may very well be deemed "unfilmable", in which case Snyder did a fairly good job in my opinion. Snyder is a visual director, and the visual magic of Watchmen is in the film. But some of the story was lost. Fans of Moore's Watchmen got angry over that.

People who had expected an action flick got angry too.

People who wanted to team up with the Snyder hating crowd got angry too, not quite knowing why. "I heard this Snyder guy doesn't make good films; haven't seen one myself but that's what I've heard." Well bugger off then.

And suddenly everybody got angry over Watchmen for a variety of reasons. Not me though. So naturally people got angry with me. "You don't know Watchmen!" Sure I do. I have read the book three times plus bonus material plus essays plus ... "You don't know Alan Moore!" Sure I do. I've read V4V, The Killing Joke, From Hell, Swamp Thing, ... "You don't know superheroes!" Okay, you should come and visit my house then. "You don't understand Moore's philosophy!" Well, neither do you, I'm sure.

I guess Snyder is my heroin. People shun me for using, it makes me a social pariah, but I'm having a good time and I ain't apologizing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I rate Watchman highly I personally think Snyders Interpretation of Watchman is very good and one of my favourite films.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Watchmen is well-made, well acted, well told. Its only mistake is that it tried to lift content from the comic book pages and paste it all over an entirely different medium, which means that some of Moore's densely packed ideas will inevitably be lost. It looks the same as the comic but it doesn't quite feel the same. Then again, Watchmen may very well be deemed "unfilmable", in which case Snyder did a fairly good job in my opinion. Snyder is a visual director, and the visual magic of Watchmen is in the film. But some of the story was lost. Fans of Moore's Watchmen got angry over that.

People who had expected an action flick got angry too.

People who wanted to team up with the Snyder hating crowd got angry too, not quite knowing why. "I heard this Snyder guy doesn't make good films; haven't seen one myself but that's what I've heard." Well bugger off then.

And suddenly everybody got angry over Watchmen for a variety of reasons. Not me though. So naturally people got angry with me. "You don't know Watchmen!" Sure I do. I have read the book three times plus bonus material plus essays plus ... "You don't know Alan Moore!" Sure I do. I've read V4V, The Killing Joke, From Hell, Swamp Thing, ... "You don't know superheroes!" Okay, you should come and visit my house then. "You don't understand Moore's philosophy!" Well, neither do you, I'm sure.

I guess Snyder is my heroin. People shun me for using, it makes me a social pariah, but I'm having a good time and I ain't apologizing.
    @DarthDimi, you´re a good man.

barryt007 wrote: »
    This review just in from The Guardian newspaper...not a positive review,especially towards Affleck's Batman :

Justice League review – good, evil and dullness do battle.

A passionate spark of frenemy-bromance between the Man of Steel and the Caped Crusader was famously created in the last DC adventure, Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, when these two legends discovered their mums had the same first name: Martha. That somewhat anticlimactic coincidence was widely considered to be indicative of something unconvincing in the whole project. The problems are still evident.

This new film has had a troubled passage. Its original director, Zack Snyder, had to step aside after a family tragedy and Joss Whedon took over, reportedly reshooting between 15 and 20% of the film, a segment which may or may not have included the ending. It’s an unhappy state of affairs that may account for the film’s tendency to shapelessness. Or this may have been a function of the ensemble structure and an uncertain handling of Batman’s new, more respectable and collegial role within the League.
    We are now a few months on from Superman’s awful fate and huge, sombre banners hang on public monuments all over the world, including Tower Bridge in London. People are everywhere thoroughly depressed and demoralised. Then it becomes very clear that a terrible new threat to Planet Earth is materialising: a grotesque force of evil and destruction in the form of Steppenwolf (played in digital motion capture by Ciarán Hinds).

Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) who in costume and mask is still being called that primitive prototypical name “the bat man” and still going into the deep voice, even in front of people who already know who he is, persuades Diana Prince, otherwise known as Wonder Woman – and enjoyably played by Gal Gadot – that a crack new supergroup should be assembled under their joint command. Metahumans need to be recruited. They will be the lightning-fast Barry Allen, or the Flash (Ezra Miller), the technohuman hybrid Victor Stone or Cyborg (Ray Fisher) and Arthur Curry, or Aquaman, played with muscular and humorous panache by Jason Momoa, from Game of Thrones. He is the kind of exotic undersea creature that David Attenborough might discover in Blue Planet II.

Meanwhile Lois Lane (Amy Adams) mopes listlessly about the Daily Planet newsroom doing dull human interest stories and Bruce’s manservant Alfred (Jeremy Irons) is even less the traditional below-stairs figure of old, now more a silver-fox computer whiz who says things like: “What the hell?” But everyone must put aside their differences and worries to fight together against the wicked invader – in honour of Superman.

Momoa brings some punch and humour to this film, especially with Aquaman’s inadvertent confession of a certain tendresse for Wonder Woman, and Ezra Miller does his best with the Flash, whose job it is to provide the nerdy, incredulous, alienated humour. Ray Fisher, too, does his best with a figure half-hidden in hi-tech armour.
    But Ben Affleck is unrelaxed and ill-at-ease in the role of Batman/Bruce, unconvincing in both the bat armour and the three-piece suit of the wealthy plutocrat. “What’s your superpower?” asks The Flash and Bruce replies: “I’m rich.” It feels a bit late for this film to have cottoned on to a daringly heretical Batman joke that people have been making for years. Really, Affleck spreads a pall of dullness over the film. He doesn’t have the implacable, steely ferocity and conviction that Christian Bale had; he seems to have a faint sheen of sweat, as if the Batcave thermostat is up too high, and his attempts at droll humour and older-generation wisdom make his Batman look stately and marginal. Maybe we should get George Clooney back for the role.

It falls to Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman to cheer things up a little, especially early on, with her dramatic intervention in London against a bunch of self-declared “reactionary terrorists” who invade the Old Bailey and threaten an explosion with a bomb attached to a timer device with the traditional LCD countdown display. It will, they say, cause devastation for “four city-blocks”. (City blocks? What city are we in, again?) Wonder Woman winds up posing, with great aplomb, atop the justice statue. A nice touch. It is Wonder Woman who provides the link to the ancient world, and with it the surreality and exoticism.

In the end, though, there is something ponderous and cumbersome about Justice League; the great revelation is very laborious and solemn and the tiresome post-credits sting is a microcosm of the film’s disappointment. Some rough justice is needed with the casting of this franchise.

Allow me to share some thoughts on this article.

The opening paragraph reveals how so not ready the author was to embrace another Batman & Superman film in this DCEU yet. Singling out the “Martha” sub-sub-subplot as the only thing worth mentioning about BvS, feels cheap and has, since 2015, become quite annoying too. Wait, didn’t “Have you ever danced with the Devil…” give Batman the ultimate clue that Joker had killed his parents in the 1989 film? Now what an amazing coincidence! Didn’t Bond coincidentally stumble upon SPECTRE’s plot by simply being in the right place at the right time in TB? What an amazing coincidence that farm boy Luke is the one getting stuck with C-3PO and R2-D2, not knowing he’s actually the son of evil Darth Vader and the brother of that lovely girl from the hologram, who also doesn’t know she should call Vader “dad”. But okay, I don’t like coincidences either. It’s just that BvS is a lot more than merely “your mom is named Martha and so is mine”. But if you want to go in arms crossed, here’s one way to do it, I guess.

Wait, the fact that he is still called “the bat man” is a bad thing? And the deep voice is a bad thing too? Weak, cosmetic arguments at best. I guess after all those years, “Superman” in Donner’s universe shouldn’t have been called Superman anymore either because after a while, people discover that Superman is a lot, but not super. And the deep voice is troublesome? If we want to apply a sense of realism in that Bruce Wayne might as well just be out of character when conversing with the very people who know his true identity, then surely the boring but true fact that both Bruce’s mom and Clark’s mom were called “Martha” shouldn’t trouble us so much either. Furthermore, anyone who really understands Batman knows that Batman is the man, Bruce Wayne merely the mask. Even without the cape and cowl, in darker times, Bruce Wayne I’m sure will talk with the deep voice because that's who he really is.

Even Alfred has to suffer for sitting behind a computer. But wait, we want another Nolan Dark Knight, don't we? I mean, the comment about Bale proves that much. The only difference is that this Batman has been in the game for 20 years, is much older and more brooding. And also, lest we forget, this is a JL series. Batman is almost always portrayed as the very cynical, not always completely honest or fully cooperative "normal" human. We don't need another Batman with too many inner conflicts, with youthful anxieties and adrenalized rage issues. This Batman would have retired ages ago were it not that the evils of the world allow him no such indulgences. It makes him bitter. and he still doesn't completely trust the ones he teams up with. Either way, JL isn't about Batman reflecting on becoming Batman or being Batman; Batman is one part of the team. An essential one, true, but this is not his film. We want to see him in action. The Batman of the JLA comics isn't necessarily the Batman of the Batman comics.

The comments about Batman being dull or looking stately and marginal make no sense when at the same time the argument is made that any attempt at a good joke is too little too late. The author sounds like the critics who loathed Timothy Dalton for spitting out his one liners with no fun whatsoever, when Roger Moore had played the comedic bits so effortlessly. Dalton's Bond has since largely been vincidated and in time so shall Affleck's Batman. Maybe this author needs to read The Dark Knight Returns of Frank Miller's All-Star Batman. It's clear from his next argument that he wants people to chear things up. He wants an Avengers movie, safe and simple entertainment with lots of good laughs and comfortable feel-good moments. He hasn't read Rock Of Ages. Also, his quip about Clooney neither proves a point, nor sarcastically conveys a serious suggestion we've all been trying to make since long. It renders his case very weak, when that level of hyperbole is all he can dig up to hide his ignorance.

Trying to prove something with the city blocks argument is another clear example of having had his claws out since the start of the movie. Countless Hollywood productions put snow, skyscrapers, certain shops, mountains, ... in cities that have none. One word, spoken once, irrelevant for the rest of the movie, supposedly builds a case? Other than demonstrating the author's lack of interest in the DCEU or his irrational hatred towards it, such comments are worthless.

I somewhat agree with the statement about the post-credits scene; it's only there because we've come to expect it. It's still not tiresome though. I also heavily disagree with faulting the cast for anything! And so does the author in fact, because apart from Affleck, everyone else seems fine in his book. Except for Cavill, whom he doesn't mention. I wonder why. I also wonder why one of the few real flaws in the film,
    again with the Kansas corn, Supes?,

was left unmentioned by the author. Has he actually seen the film?

The people in my audience weren't convinced of "the film’s disappointment"; everyone had a good time. But maybe it says something that my audience contained mostly men wearing Batman and Flash t-shirts. Again, perhaps this entire DCEU thing is about as "niche" as Bruce Timm's animated output; in this case very expensive cult movies.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just got back from seeing this.

I liked it enough. I feel asleep from when Bruce meets Aquaman to when Steppenwolf takes the motherbox from Atlantis so I missed a bit.

It wasn't a garbage film like most of the DCEU's offerings but the movie overall was criminally pedestrian. The action for the most part was Good, I liked Steppenwolf as a hands on and proactive villain but his motivation was...meh.

The team were entertaining enough and Superman was a beast.

I'm in no rush to see this again but I certainly don't hate it and its certainly a fun time. Some complaints I've read/heard about this are so overblown and ridiculous and patently untrue.

I'd rate this a 7/10
    Good review, @doubleoego . Thank you.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,530
    Well I am a huge fan of MoS, WW and BvS, saying that JL was exactly what I was expecting though even worse in some respects. There were some great moments and one totally badass scene for sure, I really hope there is a Alternate or Extended cut of this though even if there is some narratives appear to be completely abandoned which disappointed me the most.

Recently I realise I am burnt out on Comic Book movies there are two many of them and mostly average, DC is allover the place and Marvel just keep making the same movies over and over again.

I'll watch JL again on Monday come off three waking night shifts so not in a good mood, may have effected my first opinion.
    To be honest I fell asleep because I've had an exhausting last 2 months at work. I said I was in no rush To see this again but I think I'll take that back and see it again in Sunday. I need a few naps and a good night's sleep. All in all this film is fun superhero movie that doesn't drown itself in unnecessary grimness. This alone gives it a rewatchability factor missing with BvS.
  • Just got back from Justice League. I liked it better than Thor: Ragnarok.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Just got back from Justice League. I liked it better than Thor: Ragnarok.
    I felt the opposite, although I don't think it's half as bad as the critics are making out. I thought it could have done with a bit more character building though.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Went to watch last night. Gotta say I loved it. Great character stuff, nice light moments, decent action. Could maybe have done with another 10-15 minutes but, on the whole, a good effort.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Bought tickets for tomorrow. Been waiting four decades for this movie, so it will be fun regardless.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I enjoyed it a lot.

It's far from a great film, and the special effects at times were astonishingly awful, but it's all put together with a good sense of fun and the characters are all given their time to shine.

Under the circumstances it was made under it is far better than it has any right to be - in fact I would have appreciated an extra 20 minutes on the runtime to flesh some stuff out.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Perhaps against my better judgment, I saw Justice League. This is actually probably my very least favorite of all DCEU films on account of how thoroughly by-the-numbers the whole thing was. Apart from that stylish first scene with Batman in Gotham and the goofy likability of Flash, who's designed to appeal to awkward kids with social anxiety disorders, what really is there to recommend in this film? Steppenwolf was blandly designed and blandly portrayed beyond belief, and the whole fuchsia-infused, CGI-loaded finale had me actually pining for the days of Schumacher's fuchsia-infused spectacle, which was considerably more original and considerably more fun (and didn't feel like it was basically just Marvel-lite).

Spoiler-packed gripe (and a pretty major one, spoiler and gripe):
    In what sense was this a Justice League film? The whole climax is everybody on the team utterly unable to do their individual tasks and then Superman shows up and does them all for them in the blink of an eye. And then after he's frozen Steppenwolf's battle-ax, he lets Wonder Woman break the weapon with her sword to make it look like she actually helped accomplish something—although we all know Superman could have destroyed that ax about 1,000x faster. So what was the message of the film? The world doesn't need a Justice League; the world needs Superman. I guess that's always kind of been the problem with Superman: how immeasurably more powerful he is than all the other DC heroes. But even on a show like Smallville they managed to demonstrate how Superman needs a team to help save the world. In Justice League, the team needs Superman just so they won't all die.

The film has made me excited to revisit Batman Vs. Superman, which for all its flaws certainly offers more material I'm interested in rewatching. So that's something. Also, I agree with the remark that "the special effects at times were astonishingly awful." I can't recall CGI looking this bad in either Batman Vs. Superman or Wonder Woman. What is going on at DC these days and why can't they put a decent film together (WW fluke aside)?
    Perhaps against my better judgment, I saw Justice League. This is actually probably my very least favorite of all DCEU films on account of how thoroughly by-the-numbers the whole thing was. Apart from that stylish first scene with Batman in Gotham and the goofy likability of Flash, who's designed to appeal to awkward kids with social anxiety disorders, what really is there to recommend in this film? Steppenwolf was blandly designed and blandly portrayed beyond belief, and the whole fuchsia-infused, CGI-loaded finale had me actually pining for the days of Schumacher's fuchsia-infused spectacle, which was considerably more original and considerably more fun (and didn't feel like it was basically just Marvel-lite).

Spoiler-packed gripe (and a pretty major one, spoiler and gripe):
    In what sense was this a Justice League film? The whole climax is everybody on the team utterly unable to do their individual tasks and then Superman shows up and does them all for them in the blink of an eye. And then after he's frozen Steppenwolf's battle-ax, he lets Wonder Woman break the weapon with her sword to make it look like she actually helped accomplish something—although we all know Superman could have destroyed that ax about 1,000x faster. So what was the message of the film? The world doesn't need a Justice League; the world needs Superman. I guess that's always kind of been the problem with Superman: how immeasurably more powerful he is than all the other DC heroes. But even on a show like Smallville they managed to demonstrate how Superman needs a team to help save the world. In Justice League, the team needs Superman just so they won't all die.

The film has made me excited to revisit Batman Vs. Superman, which for all its flaws certainly offers more material I'm interested in rewatching. So that's something. Also, I agree with the remark that "the special effects at times were astonishingly awful." I can't recall CGI looking this bad in either Batman Vs. Superman or Wonder Woman. What is going on at DC these days and why can't they put a decent film together (WW fluke aside)?

And this is still a post infinite crisis weaker Superman,
    It's a shame some of the other New Gods did not show up to at least make Superman break a sweat. I think they missed an opportunity by not having Superman under Darkseids control.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Latest tracking is showing JL coming in below original estimates stateside (which assumed around $115m weekend gross). It's more likely to come in between $95m to $97m which would be a disappointing result and the lowest opening for any recent DC film. For comparison, BvS opened with $166m (and WW did $149m). It's doing better internationally for now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    IMO, DC movies are pretty much dead and buried except for Wonder Woman. Get Patty Jenkins to run the whole show and see how THAT works. In an age of darkness, we don't want darkness in our movies. They only lack the light to show the way... ;)
    Can you imagine a Patty Jenkins Superman film? That would be awesome!

Ike Perlmutter is an effing donkey for forcing Jenkins to quit directing Thor 2. Good riddance to that racist, sexist clown.

I can't believe JL that was supposed to be a an answer and to compete against the Avengers may open up domestically lower than Thor Ragnarok. I can't get my head around that.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    chrisisall wrote: »
    IMO, DC movies are pretty much dead and buried except for Wonder Woman. Get Patty Jenkins to run the whole show and see how THAT works. In an age of darkness, we don't want darkness in our movies. They only lack the light to show the way... ;)

I was just thinking about this. Personally I like the darker tone of the DCEU. It's different and, to me, keeps things a bit fresh. All everybody wants is more of the MCU. Meaning they want bright, colorful movies and comedy all over the place. Thor: Ragnarok is a great example of that and that movie was a big disappointment because of it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Estimates say it'll need to cross $700 million to start breaking even.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I was just thinking about this. Personally I like the darker tone of the DCEU. It's different and, to me, keeps things a bit fresh. All everybody wants is more of the MCU. Meaning they want bright, colorful movies and comedy all over the place. Thor: Ragnarok is a great example of that and that movie was a big disappointment because of it.

I would have preferred a more serious tone for Thor, kind of what Thor 2 was going for before they lost their minds with all the nonsense with Darcy, the intern and Dr.Selfig.

In any case, Captain America Winter Soldier is a great film and handles things seriously without being too grim or too jokey and Civil War was the psrfect balance since it utilosed characters like Ant-Man and Spider-Man. Black Panther is going to be more serious than Cap Winter Soldier; and Infinity War is going to be the ultimate litmus test of blockbuster film making in every way and I have no doubt Marvel will pull it off, especially as the likes of Gunn, Dereckson and Coogler are all consulting with Feige and the Russo brothers on the two IS films.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Estimates say it'll need to cross $700 million to start breaking even.

JL is tracking an opening less than the first Iron Man film. Bloody hell.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Fate of the Furious had an opening weekend of $98 million compared to $147 million for Furious 7, and it still crossed the billion mark to end up with $1.2 billion World Wide.
    Fate of the Furious had an opening weekend of $98 million compared to $147 million for Furious 7, and it still crossed the billion mark to end up with $1.2 billion World Wide.

It also made nearly $300 million less than Furious 7, too, hence the disparity.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It also made nearly $300 million less than Furious 7, too, hence the disparity.

The numbers really goes either way when you look at other films, @Creasy47. For example, Rogue One had a $155 million opening compared to Skyfall's $88 million, and SF ended with $1.108 billion while Rogue One finished at $1.056 billion.

Or comparing the 2009 Harry Potter film with BvS and Spiderman 3 - With only a $77 million opening, that Potter film is the only one of these 3 films to cross $900 million world wide, despite BvS opening with $166 million and Spiderman 3 opening with $151 million.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 40,538
    At the end of the day, it's all about the legs the film has. I'm just figuring if it opened to 44% less of what BvS made, another DC installment, then it isn't looking that good for this one, especially since it opened roughly $25 million under its tracking - unless it truly does have week-to-week legs, of course. The drop itself this weekend stateside doesn't bode too well. Time will tell, though! I've no doubt it'll eventually make its money back.
    It's important not to confuse the North American opening gross with the final worldwide gross.

The $98m or so weekend is only North America. JL is doing better globally, like SF and FF8.

Yes, the key will be legs going into week 2, because one expects an explosive opening for a film like this. The issue is it is opening weaker in North America.
    I meant to note that, but I'm fairly certain I read that it opened slightly underneath tracking in foreign markets, as well, with estimates being in the $200 million range.