No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    @noSolaceleft Bond titles that are CLEARLY worse than "Skyfall": DAF, TMWTGG, OP, AVTAK, TLD, TND, DAD, QOS, SP. I believe there are some other Bond titles that are inferior to "Skyfall", but those are the ones that are clearly, without a doubt worse.

I find it amusing NoSolaceLeft responds to the word Skyfall in the same way Bond does under psychoanalytic evaluation in the film.

Doctor Hall: Skyfall
    Done: DONE!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Now you're just being contentious, @PanchitoPistoles. Diamonds Are Forever; The Man With The Golden Gun, A View To a Kill are all vastly superior titles to that of Skyfall. Unless you know that Skyfall is the new re-conned name of Bond's childhood home which you wouldn't be aware of before going into the movie, then it means nothing, unless it's inreference to Chicken Little.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I love the title : Forever a Spy....that's more like a Bond title.

I still feel that "once upon a spy" for a anniversary Bond movie was a title as brilliant as it gets. I for myself would have loved it..
    Better make that two.

Unfortunately it has already been taken. By a 1980s made for TV Ted Danson movie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081279/

• Getafix wrote: »

I still feel that "once upon a spy" for a anniversary Bond movie was a title as brilliant as it gets. I for myself would have loved it..
    Better make that two.

Unfortunately it has already been taken. By a 1980s made for TV Ted Danson movie...

That wouldn't have mattered in and of itself. You can't copyright a title per se. Some totally unrelated movies have the same title.

Example:

The Enforcer (1951), Humphrey Bogart drama
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043503/?ref_=nv_sr_6

The Enforcer (1976), third Dirty Harry movie
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074483/?ref_=nv_sr_2
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,730
    I will NEVER understand how some people can believe SF is an incoherent mess, but QOS isn't. And don't get me wrong, I like QOS.

What are you talking about?
    QOS makes complete sense, I have all ready outlined my problems with skyfall what are your problems with QOS?
    Getafix wrote: »

Better make that two.

That wouldn't have mattered in and of itself. You can't copyright a title per se. Some totally unrelated movies have the same title.

Example:

The Enforcer (1951), Humphrey Bogart drama
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043503/?ref_=nv_sr_6

The Enforcer (1976), third Dirty Harry movie
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074483/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Indeed

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050724/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @noSolaceleft Bond titles that are CLEARLY worse than "Skyfall": DAF, TMWTGG, OP, AVTAK, TLD, TND, DAD, QOS, SP. I believe there are some other Bond titles that are inferior to "Skyfall", but those are the ones that are clearly, without a doubt worse.
    Most of these titles are very decent. I don’t know what do you expect from a Bond title. Skyfall 2: Cloudburst, perhaps?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    At the end of the day I think they had a decent premise with QoS. They just executed it in a way that perhaps was unexpected for the time. Similar to LTK, these have become sort of 'cult' flicks within the fan community (due to their different approach), but are generally not well remembered by the broader viewing public.

Consequently, I don't think we'll see a film or characterizations like that for some time.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    @bondjames
    @Murdock

exactly...

the lack of Bond theme since Craig took over has bothered me.. I don't need to hear it all the time - but it should be used to highlight what we would consider "Bond moments".. and i've always said this scene in SP was prime for the Bond theme, and Newman/Mendes wizzed it down their leg..

my problem with SP's score overall is how much is simply rehashed from SF... i've heard others explain it as Newman trying to build specific moment themes and cues.. but i call it laziness.. there are some moments of brilliance in there, but then - like the scene above - you get The Moors rehashed for a whole scene - without even an attempt to remix it... i dont want to keep bringing up Arnold - but he reused cues as well, but he always changed things within the music, that while it was the same, it sounded a little different.

I think he did remix "The Moors" and made it worse. He picked out that insistent bassline and then kept on hammering that out over and over. Then did the same trick in the next 4 or 5 tracks.
    Most of these titles are very decent. I don’t know what do you expect from a Bond title. Skyfall 2: Cloudburst, perhaps?

I don't have any problem with those titles.
    6 out of the 9 shown here are Fleming novel titles,with the exception of TND,DAD and SP !!

AIl67ub.gif

Bond's first attempts at creating a Vesper were not altogether successful.

6 out of the 9 shown here are Fleming novel titles,with the exception of TND,DAD and SP !!
    DAD in itself is alright as a title, and TND is perfect as a non-Fleming but Fleming sounding title.

DAD in itself is alright as a title, and TND is perfect as a non-Fleming but Fleming sounding title.

Exactly.
    I don't have a problem with any Bond films title.

Exactly.
    Apart from SPECTRE, neither do I, although I wish they'd gone with something that didn't include "Die" for DAD, since they'd already used that term just two films prior.
  • @noSolaceleft Bond titles that are CLEARLY worse than "Skyfall": DAF, TMWTGG, OP, AVTAK, TLD, TND, DAD, QOS, SP. I believe there are some other Bond titles that are inferior to "Skyfall", but those are the ones that are clearly, without a doubt worse.

Apart from TND,DAD and SP I would strongly disagree. Make that very strongly!
    bondjames wrote: »

Exactly.
    Apart from SPECTRE, neither do I, although I wish they'd gone with something that didn't include "Die" for DAD, since they'd already used that term just two films prior.
    The same thing applies to YOLT and LALD. Only three films away.

Exactly.
    The same thing applies to YOLT and LALD. Only three films away.
    True, I didn't think about that.

I suppose I didn't think anything of it since they are Fleming titles and I'd seen the books on the shelf at home for as long as I can remember (my father had them all). They always fascinated me as a kid because they had interesting provocative photo covers.
  • I will NEVER understand how some people can believe SF is an incoherent mess, but QOS isn't. And don't get me wrong, I like QOS.

No, QOS is unwatchable. SF is incoherent -- beautiful to look at (which is its redeeming grace) but logically incoherent. The superhuman leaps in logic take away from fully enjoyable subsequent viewings of SF, but still don't stop me from watching certain scenes when I see it playing on cable. QOS, I won't subject myself to again.
    writer5150 wrote: »
    I will NEVER understand how some people can believe SF is an incoherent mess, but QOS isn't. And don't get me wrong, I like QOS.

No, QOS is unwatchable. SF is incoherent -- beautiful to look at (which is its redeeming grace) but logically incoherent. The superhuman leaps in logic take away from fully enjoyable subsequent viewings of SF, but still don't stop me from watching certain scenes when I see it playing on cable. QOS, I won't subject myself to again.

Ouch. Harsh.
    Dennison wrote: »

Ouch. Harsh.

Ow,don't mix your words,just go for it %-(

• Perhaps, Dennison. But I call'em as I see'em. I was never the biggest Craig fan at first but admit that CR is probably the best Bond film to date. Can't count the number of times I've watched that one. (See, I'll admit when I'm wrong.)
    Dennison wrote: »

Ouch. Harsh.

Ow,don't mix your words,just go for it %-(

Ouch. Harsh.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399

i've been searching Google for a half an hour, and haven't found anything...

do you or anyone else have a link to the article that reported this?.. Not trying to say your full of it or anything, I just hate not knowing lol..
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    AIl67ub.gif

that was me on the night when the 2016 Election results came in, and Trump became President..
    At the end of the day I think they had a decent premise with QoS. They just executed it in a way that perhaps was unexpected for the time. Similar to LTK, these have become sort of 'cult' flicks within the fan community (due to their different approach), but are generally not well remembered by the broader viewing public.

Consequently, I don't think we'll see a film or characterizations like that for some time.

the one aspect from CR and QOS that they clearly dropped is something that Mathis alluded to in QOS, and that is "when you get to my age, the heroes and the villains get all mixed up." ... obviously alluding to the fact that in the real world, things aren't always black & white - but often times, good people do horrible things (ends justify the means stuff) and vise versa.. I thought this was going to be an era of Bond villains, going down the path of Dominic Greene - or ones that would present a moral dilemma for Bond - because usually, his enemies are 100% evil... i don't know how it would be, but I would love to see a Tom Clancy-ish Bond movie, in the vein of something like Hunt For Red October or Clear And Present Danger.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I have no problem with any of those titles either. Also, I read a while back, that while DAD is not a Fleming title, he apparently did reference it in his writings.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=6071
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Spectre is the fifth Bond title to reference its villain. The others:

Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    The Man with the Golden Gun
    Quantum of Solace

edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

the one aspect from CR and QOS that they clearly dropped is something that Mathis alluded to in QOS, and that is "when you get to my age, the heroes and the villains get all mixed up." ... obviously alluding to the fact that in the real world, things aren't always black & white - but often times, good people do horrible things (ends justify the means stuff) and vise versa.. I thought this was going to be an era of Bond villains, going down the path of Dominic Greene - or ones that would present a moral dilemma for Bond - because usually, his enemies are 100% evil... i don't know how it would be, but I would love to see a Tom Clancy-ish Bond movie, in the vein of something like Hunt For Red October or Clear And Present Danger.
    Yes, I agree. There was clearly an attempt to go for a more 'adult' (for lack of a better word) style villain and a less obvious premise (water, which is highly relevant including in the Middle East, but most of the masses are unaware of it). Everything was 'murky' and not so clear cut.

"Yeah. You're right. We should just deal with nice people."
    "If we refused to do business with villains, we'd have almost no one to trade with."

The tepid response to the film led them back towards a more traditional villain in Silva (in fact, as I recall that was part of the marketing for the film). Easier to sell globally and in multiple languages. After all betrayal and revenge are emotions that most can relate to, while realpolitik is a concept most aren't even aware of. We are in an age where we would rather demonize our opponents, and clear cut villains more readily play into that environment.
    AIl67ub.gif

that was me on the night when the 2016 Election results came in, and Trump became President..

It appears we do have one thing in common besides Bond.