"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »

Won-der-ful news :-). I have only watched the first four episodes, so now I am waiting again till all other 5 episodes have premiered. So I can start another bingewatch session again.

I read that the 6th episode, "Lethe" got the best reviews so far. Together with episode 3 damn fine Trek stuff.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,102
    STD episode 6 was interesting though if this indeed the Prime Timeline they are taking a few liberties in this episode.
    Captain Ahab is not going to give up his ship
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119
    It takes a while to get into, but yesterday I did another binge-watching of 3 more episodes. Episode 5, 6 and 7. I'm a big fan of the new Lt. Ash Tyler. Such a good bloke. I think he's adorable, and a perfect head of security:
    tyler-burnham-shake.jpg
    Episode 6 and 7 are truly wonderful. I just love a little bit of Vulcan background on the relationship with Sarek. Reminds me of season 4 of "Star Trek: Enterprise". I am starting to think.....
    that Michael Burnham could not live very long?
    I'm also interested in the relationship between Captain Lorca and Admiral Cornwall. Jayne Brook is absolutely delightful as Admiral. Great actress.
    Curious to see what the Klingons will do to her...
    cornwell-angry.jpg

Episode 7 was.....really wonderful. A new twist on previous time-loop adventures, like TNG's "Cause And Effect". Harry Mudd is actually really like the Mudd from TOS. Love Sonequa-Green's acting in here....you can see that she's completely 'vulcanized', and it's great that Ash Tyler is loosening her up.

I must say......I really love this new iteration of "Star Trek". It's indeed very much like "Deep Space Nine" and "The Undiscovered Country", in that it is serialized. But the characters....I genuinely love them. Perfectly written. I have now seen all first 7 episodes, and this is a series to stay! "Star Trek: Discovery" is, together with "Stranger Things", the most popular Netflix Series. And for a good reason.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/browse/tv-list-2/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think Lorca or Tyler is Voq in disguise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Discovery has gotten a lot better. Of the 7 episodes currently out, Only three of them didn't do it for me but the other four have been excellent. I'm glad the angst is finally being left in the dust. Looking forward to Sunday.
    The last episode was OK though I feel the
    timeloop episode
    has been done better before, Mid season break is upon us soon I would like a few episodes not set on the ship and the crew meeting different cultures on different planets.
    Next episode looks to be a planetside exploration episode so that will be right up our alley. :-bd
    Murdock wrote: »
    Next episode looks to be a planetside exploration episode so that will be right up our alley. :-bd

Nice one I try not to watch the trailers in case of spoilers, have you watched After Trek they drop way too many hints on that show.
    No, I haven't really given it a look just for that reason.
    No, I haven't really given it a look just for that reason.

It's good in the sense cast members appear though the production crew who appear allude to things too often.
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to avoid the spoilery bits.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,102
    Star Trek Discovery episode 8 Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

UZaEl6Y.jpg

Really enjoyed this episode
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The remaining six episodes of the season will premiere with Episode 10's "Despite Yourself" on Sunday, January 7th at 8:30 PM ET:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/star-trek-discovery-chapter-2-january-premiere-date-cbs-all-access-1202205000/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The remaining six episodes of the season will premiere with Episode 10's "Despite Yourself" on Sunday, January 7th at 8:30 PM ET:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/star-trek-discovery-chapter-2-january-premiere-date-cbs-all-access-1202205000/

That's good not long to wait thankfully, it's a shame the season is so short relative to other Trek shows.
    After tomorrow's episode leading into the winter break, I'll give my thoughts on the series as a whole and mini reviews of all the episodes so far. Despite earlier concerns before the premier, I do like this show for the most part, but there are things about it I don't like too. But I'll get into those further after tomorrow's episode.
    After tomorrow's episode leading into the winter break, I'll give my thoughts on the series as a whole and mini reviews of all the episodes so far. Despite earlier concerns before the premier, I do like this show for the most part, but there are things about it I don't like too. But I'll get into those further after tomorrow's episode.

Likewise it's ok and watchable though it's the weakest Trek series IMO, I read several months ago that after next week's episode there is a course correct. The first half of the season is better than I expected that's a plus point, though I really was expecting the worse with Discovery
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,102
    Good mid season finale pulled no punches and was a good cliff hanger, two things seem inevitable by the end of the episode.
    Tyler must be Vok and Discovery is now in a mirror universe or the TOS universe ;)

Watching After Trek Sonequa Martin-Green is guesting, stunningly beautiful lady.
    Likewise it's ok and watchable though it's the weakest Trek series IMO, I read several months ago that after next week's episode there is a course correct. The first half of the season is better than I expected that's a plus point, though I really was expecting the worse with Discovery

I wouldn't say it's the weakest series, I'm still sticking with. I can say that after forcing myself to sit through four episodes of Voyager and Enterprise each. I gave up on both fairly quickly. :))

Well the mid season break is here and in my personal opinion ended on a high note and I'm very excited to see where it goes next once it resumes in January.
    I wasn't sure about these new klingons at first, but now I dig them they retain the klingon forehead look, but now look more alien.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119

I wouldn't say it's the weakest series, I'm still sticking with. I can say that after forcing myself to sit through four episodes of Voyager and Enterprise each. I gave up on both fairly quickly. :))

Well the mid season break is here and in my personal opinion ended on a high note and I'm very excited to see where it goes next once it resumes in January.

"Voyager" and "The Next Generation" for me have their own qualities. Those were Trek-series that weren't heavily serealized. Just just popped one standalone episode in the VHS videorecorder and....happy we were. It's exactly that trope that is the driving force of "The Orville". Yet, if "Star Trek: Discovery" really turned into a "Voyager 2.0" or "The Next Generation 2.0", basically only focusing on one theme per episode, then "Discovery" would have been prone to much more criticism.

"The Orville" can get away with exactly that that "Discovery" could never got away with. Having said that I think "Star Trek: Discovery" is a truly intelligent iteration of "Star Trek". And twists and turns a lot of cooked out Trek-tropes, and brings in themes and character developments that are not just new for the sake of new, but that really are believable.

Lt. Ash Tyler for instance........I can feel him suffering,
    being tortured for almost a year. Not to mention the fact that he has been sexually abused by L'Rell.
    We haven't seen that before in Trek, and it's actually quite topical looking at today's #MeToo campaign.

I also dig the new Klingons. To me they are more dangerous antagonists than the 'old style' Klingons. A bit like a Trek-version of Islamic State proclaiming a new kind of caliphate. Not to mention their more scary looks (which reminded me a bit of the 'engineers' from Alien/Prometheus)

No, "Star Trek: Discovery" to me is as good as "Deep Space Nine" and "The Next Generation". And certainly better than "Voyager" and "Enterprise". The criticism? RottenTomatoes ratings? Understandable, given the fact that Trek is a 50-year old franchise that others are hitchhiking on :-).

"Voyager" and "The Next Generation" for me have their own qualities. Those were Trek-series that weren't heavily serealized. Just just popped one standalone episode in the VHS videorecorder and....happy we were. It's exactly that trope that is the driving force of "The Orville". Yet, if "Star Trek: Discovery" really turned into a "Voyager 2.0" or "The Next Generation 2.0", basically only focusing on one theme per episode, then "Discovery" would have been prone to much more criticism.

"The Orville" can get away with exactly that that "Discovery" could never got away with. Having said that I think "Star Trek: Discovery" is a truly intelligent iteration of "Star Trek". And twists and turns a lot of cooked out Trek-tropes, and brings in themes and character developments that are not just new for the sake of new, but that really are believable.

being tortured for almost a year. Not to mention the fact that he has been sexually abused by L'Rell.
    We haven't seen that before in Trek, and it's actually quite topical looking at today's #MeToo campaign.

I also dig the new Klingons. To me they are more dangerous antagonists than the 'old style' Klingons. A bit like a Trek-version of Islamic State proclaiming a new kind of caliphate. Not to mention their more scary looks (which reminded me a bit of the 'engineers' from Alien/Prometheus)

No, "Star Trek: Discovery" to me is as good as "Deep Space Nine" and "The Next Generation". And certainly better than "Voyager" and "Enterprise". The criticism? RottenTomatoes ratings? Understandable, given the fact that Trek is a 50-year old franchise that others are hitchhiking on :-).

I certainly agree @Gustav_Graves, So far I've watched The Original Series and The Next Generation all the way through from beginning to end. I've gotten through one season of Deep Space Nine. I've been wanting to see it out to the end as well, just haven't had the time, But I am invested in it and it's characters. Voyager to me felt like TNG-lite. It's premise is an interesting one, One ship sent across the galaxy and has to make it's way back. That's a compelling idea for sure, but I found the execution wasn't so good and The characters didn't really connect with me. It has some good episodes. But it has a lot of bad ones too. I don't flat out dismiss the series. I have been curious about what I have and haven't seen by watching reviews down by Star Trek episode reviewer SFDebris. I'm a follower of his content and enjoy listening to his opinions on various things Sci fi and Trek. Enterprise felt like TNG/Voyager watered down even more. I can appreciate the prequel aspect and wanting to do world building but I think the execution fell flat. Though towards the end it did get better. I have sought out some of the higher regarded episodes. My favorite being the 2 parter Mirror Universe episode that has ties to the original series. But sadly it wasn't enough to keep me hooked. The theme song didn't help things either.

For Discovery, I was very excited from the initial announcement. Since I'm a TOS fan first and foremost, I was very excited about a revisiting of that era. Well at least the events prior which is what I wanted anyway. Win win. And you are right, Had Discovery kept with that non serialized way of storytelling that we've been used to, it would have hurt Discovery significantly. It works perfectly for The Orville because that's a brand new universe that doesn't have 50 years of history to shape the way it's made. It's pays homage to Trek while being it's own thing which is something I can appreciate greatly. I don't compare Discovery or The Orville because they are very different. I enjoy the Orville more, but I enjoy Discovery too. It's not a contest for me.

The Discovery is going in the right direction. It's had a bit of a bumpy start and some iffy episodes in between but my experience with Discovery has been a positive one. I am invested in most of the characters and I like the new things they are exploring. Some issues I do have with the show are character and plot related elements, Not that they are bad but maybe not to my liking. Though that's not really worth discussing now. I've found more good than bad for this show and I can happily say I'm invested and eagerly awaiting it's return. It's a good year for science fiction and my sci fi void is filled. I'm getting the best of both worlds. ;)
  • Murdock wrote: »

I certainly agree @Gustav_Graves, So far I've watched The Original Series and The Next Generation all the way through from beginning to end. I've gotten through one season of Deep Space Nine. I've been wanting to see it out to the end as well, just haven't had the time, But I am invested in it and it's characters. Voyager to me felt like TNG-lite. It's premise is an interesting one, One ship sent across the galaxy and has to make it's way back. That's a compelling idea for sure, but I found the execution wasn't so good and The characters didn't really connect with me. It has some good episodes. But it has a lot of bad ones too. I don't flat out dismiss the series. I have been curious about what I have and haven't seen by watching reviews down by Star Trek episode reviewer SFDebris. I'm a follower of his content and enjoy listening to his opinions on various things Sci fi and Trek. Enterprise felt like TNG/Voyager watered down even more. I can appreciate the prequel aspect and wanting to do world building but I think the execution fell flat. Though towards the end it did get better. I have sought out some of the higher regarded episodes. My favorite being the 2 parter Mirror Universe episode that has ties to the original series. But sadly it wasn't enough to keep me hooked. The theme song didn't help things either.

For Discovery, I was very excited from the initial announcement. Since I'm a TOS fan first and foremost, I was very excited about a revisiting of that era. Well at least the events prior which is what I wanted anyway. Win win. And you are right, Had Discovery kept with that non serialized way of storytelling that we've been used to, it would have hurt Discovery significantly. It works perfectly for The Orville because that's a brand new universe that doesn't have 50 years of history to shape the way it's made. It's pays homage to Trek while being it's own thing which is something I can appreciate greatly. I don't compare Discovery or The Orville because they are very different. I enjoy the Orville more, but I enjoy Discovery too. It's not a contest for me.

The Discovery is going in the right direction. It's had a bit of a bumpy start and some iffy episodes in between but my experience with Discovery has been a positive one. I am invested in most of the characters and I like the new things they are exploring. Some issues I do have with the show are character and plot related elements, Not that they are bad but maybe not to my liking. Though that's not really worth discussing now. I've found more good than bad for this show and I can happily say I'm invested and eagerly awaiting it's return. It's a good year for science fiction and my sci fi void is filled. I'm getting the best of both worlds. ;)

Insightful, thought-provoking, constructive piece @Murdock :-). I mostly agree with you. Yesterday I really felt some honest emotions when Lt. Ash Tyler and Michael Burnham were getting intimate together. Same with Dr. Culber and Stamets. The emotions felt so...sincere and real.

Thank you @Gustav_Graves. :) I really felt for Ash and Burnham as well in episode 9. Their chemistry felt very real. I'm very intrigued where the characters grow from where we left them. We're in for one heck of a ride.
    Anybody else get the soundtrack for Chapter 1 of Discovery? I received my copy recently and gave it a listen. Sadly it's pretty underwhelming. It's mostly quiet ambient tracks that just aren't very memorable.
    Discovery episode 10 directed by Jonathan Frakes
    This is a Mirror Universe episode and I was bored initially as it took along time to get going, the last part of the episode did improve with some good nods. Good to see the agonising booths make a return. It appears that the Doctor has been killed off with that neck break, this show will kill anyone it seems.
    I enjoyed it, It's my new favorite episode of the show.

The last twenty minutes or so save it, I am curious to see how long this arc continues.

The last twenty minutes or so save it, I am curious to see how long this arc continues.

Same here.

Same here.

I am starting to wonder if Discovery will be a Anthology series
    Most of the cast maybe be dead or in prison by the end of this season, have you noticed plot lines seem to be totally dropped.