No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138
    bondjames wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Its only logical that Nolan's name will be linked for the next few films.

Honest opinion, why his Production Company had Bond 25 listed then removed.. I think had Craig not returned he would be on for Bond 25 with his own choice of actor, and would not have been surprised to see him work with Hardy his go to man again. When Craig announced his return, matters reverted to plan A for EON and Nolan's Bond vision is on hold.
    If you're correct then that's very disheartening news to me.

Craig fan or not, his films are bringing in the $$$ and Bond's global popularity has arguably never been greater. As Bab's admitted "I just don’t want to think about it,” Barbara tells HuffPostUK on the subject of 007's eventual replacement. "I’m in denial. I don’t want to think about that day. Daniel Craig is Bond, forever, as far as I’m concerned.”

I have always maintained throughout, if Craig returned a 1 film deal with Sony will be made for distribution with Warner Brothers then becoming the new partner for Bond 26 and beyond. Had Craig decided to depart we would have Warner Brother and Nolan was the pull. I still see it beyond Craig - Nolan - Hardy and WB as new Studio/distribution partner.

Do we think, assuming B25 hits the $800m mark or higher, that they might offer Dan a crazy Sean-in-DAF deal to do another? He'd only be 54 in 2022, which when you look at Cruise in MI, Neeson in Taken or even Harrison in KOTCS is not really that old these days.

I certainly think he could pull it off without there being any danger of veering into AVTAK territory.

I'm sure Babs would be desperate for it and the money on the table would be too much to turn down especially as he seems to enjoy the role as long as he gets nice breaks in between films.

In addition just who is there out there who could do the job? I'd be all for paying him silly money to stay on rather than enter a Gavin/Brolin scenario.

No, I think this is it for Dan. I think he realises Spectre was not the ending he wanted to his tenure. Hence the "I want to go out on a high" comments. I think he would already be gone had Spectre delivered what he thought it would. I know Steve McQueen's wife has said that he is the only actor she want's to play her Husband in a biopic. I think Craig will do that after Bond 25 as McQueen is his idol, and then Dan will semi retire like Sean did.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Where do folks think these people are in terms of progress with the script? Could one foresee big changes in it from here to start of production?
    Where do folks think these people are in terms of progress with the script? Could one foresee big changes in it from here to start of production?

I think Purvis and Wade would have something down in principal that Craig couldn't pass up on. Would not be surprised to see read through come next Spring.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

I think Purvis and Wade would have something down in principal that Craig couldn't pass up on. Would not be surprised to see read through come next Spring.
    So are we saying the director just works within the framework already set, or does the director have (considerable) input in shaping it?

I suppose it would depend on the relative strength/leverage of the parties involved, and a new director (ostensibly) has less control/leverage compared to those who've worked on the project before (like co-producer & star Craig).

Having said that, it does appear that Forster and Mendes had quite a bit of say in their respective projects.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

So are we saying the director just works within the framework already set, or does the director have (considerable) input in shaping it?

I suppose it would depend on the relative strength/leverage of the parties involved, and a new director (ostensibly) has less control/leverage compared to those who've worked on the project before (like co-producer & star Craig).

Having said that, it does appear that Forster and Mendes had quite a bit of say in their respective projects.

I think it will depend on the director. A Villeneuve or a Nolan will demand a lot of say or won't sign up in the first place. A Spottiswoode will do as he's told and be thankful.

I think it will depend on the director. A Villeneuve or a Nolan will demand a lot of say or won't sign up in the first place. A Spottiswoode will do as he's told and be thankful.
    Yes, that's my thinking as well. Makes sense. This could explain names like Demange being mentioned. I can only imagine that the relative power shifts with bigger names.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138

Bond has always been different to other film making. Why so many good directors like Foster and Tamahori struggled. The creation is Flemings, so you have little room on what your leading character is. You have to keep key elements, most of who you are working with have worked on countless Bonds before.. you kind of have to come in and fit in for it to work. It is not a flexible job.. your story is to really read someone else's concept and put on screen your interpretation of what that is. Some Directors get it, and some struggle with that element. Directors are quirky they like artistic freedom and Bond is restrictive process.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425

Honest opinion, why his Production Company had Bond 25 listed then removed.. I think had Craig not returned he would be on for Bond 25 with his own choice of actor, and would not have been surprised to see him work with Hardy his go to man again. When Craig announced his return, matters reverted to plan A for EON and Nolan's Bond vision is on hold.

Craig fan or not, his films are bringing in the $$$ and Bond's global popularity has arguably never been greater. As Bab's admitted "I just don’t want to think about it,” Barbara tells HuffPostUK on the subject of 007's eventual replacement. "I’m in denial. I don’t want to think about that day. Daniel Craig is Bond, forever, as far as I’m concerned.”

I have always maintained throughout, if Craig returned a 1 film deal with Sony will be made for distribution with Warner Brothers then becoming the new partner for Bond 26 and beyond. Had Craig decided to depart we would have Warner Brother and Nolan was the pull. I still see it beyond Craig - Nolan - Hardy and WB as new Studio/distribution partner.

Do we think, assuming B25 hits the $800m mark or higher, that they might offer Dan a crazy Sean-in-DAF deal to do another? He'd only be 54 in 2022, which when you look at Cruise in MI, Neeson in Taken or even Harrison in KOTCS is not really that old these days.

I certainly think he could pull it off without there being any danger of veering into AVTAK territory.

I'm sure Babs would be desperate for it and the money on the table would be too much to turn down especially as he seems to enjoy the role as long as he gets nice breaks in between films.

In addition just who is there out there who could do the job? I'd be all for paying him silly money to stay on rather than enter a Gavin/Brolin scenario.

Entirely possible IMO.

Sticking with Craig makes commercial sense. Most successful Bond at the BO since Connery - why risk change?

Recasting is always a gamble. With Dalton EON got a Bond they liked but who failed to set the BO alight. With Brosnan they got a commerically successful Bond who (I think) they weren't all that impressed by when he actually went in-front of the camera. With Brosnan they took his interpretation to its logical conclusion and a creative dead end.

With Craig they are ticking all the boxes in terms of popular and critical appeal. And while SP had its faults it wasn't the car crash of a movie that DAD was. Craig has got the job as long as he wants it.

Familiarity and stability is also part of the appeal of Bond. People like to see 'their' Bond return.

Those calling for a reboot amply highlight the main obstacle. Who do they replace Craig with?

Bond has always been different to other film making. Why so many good directors like Foster and Tamahori struggled. The creation is Flemings, so you have little room on what your leading character is. You have to keep key elements, most of who you are working with have worked on countless Bonds before.. you kind of have to come in and fit in for it to work. It is not a flexible job.. your story is to really read someone else's concept and put on screen your interpretation of what that is. Some Directors get it, and some struggle with that element. Directors are quirky they like artistic freedom and Bond is restrictive process.
    That's certainly true, but the experience over the past few films has suggested that directors have had far more operating control than in the past (and most certainly more than during Cubby's tenure) to shape their vision. Hearing names like Demange and MacKenzie suggest (but don't necessarily confirm) a move back to a more producer run operation. Staying within the script so to speak.

You'll note that the articles suggested Craig favoured Villeneuve. Not EON. It's a small point, but I noticed it. Having said that, he is co-producer.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

I wouldn't be surprised if Babs tried to drag him back in after B25

tumblr_oqf3m6QH6g1vtheaqo3_500.gif
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    A few thoughts about what the deal means for b25 and Bond in general
    https://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2017/11/02/mgm-to-partner-with-annapurna-in-us-distribution/
    https://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2017/11/02/mgm-to-partner-with-annapurna-in-us-distribution/
    Interesting read. A few questions.

Did MGM object to Sony products in SP, or was it Craig? I don't think I read anything about MGM's (or the producer's) views.

They seem to be assuming that MGM will distribute B25 in the US with Annapurna if I'm not mistaken. That is not a given.

They suggest Kathryn Bigelow as a possibility, but I'm quite certain she has rejected working on Bond before (sure I read that somewhere).
  • Getafix wrote: »

Entirely possible IMO.

Sticking with Craig makes commercial sense. Most successful Bond at the BO since Connery - why risk change?

Recasting is always a gamble. With Dalton EON got a Bond they liked but who failed to set the BO alight. With Brosnan they got a commerically successful Bond who (I think) they weren't all that impressed by when he actually went in-front of the camera. With Brosnan they took his interpretation to its logical conclusion and a creative dead end.

With Craig they are ticking all the boxes in terms of popular and critical appeal. And while SP had its faults it wasn't the car crash of a movie that DAD was. Craig has got the job as long as he wants it.

Familiarity and stability is also part of the appeal of Bond. People like to see 'their' Bond return.

Those calling for a reboot amply highlight the main obstacle. Who do they replace Craig with?

With all due respect to both of you, but I see the chances for such a scenario as absolutely zero.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And then it's understandable why you so easily dislike/not like a certain new franchise creation (Star Trek or James Bond) for the sake of something that is perhaps more entertaining than Bond or Star Trek (e.g. Kingsman, Fast & Furious, The Orville).

This is a presumptuous and very wrong assumption of my interests. For one, I don't really care about Kingsman or Fast and the Furious. I've only seen the first one in each respective franchise and neither of them made me rush to see their sequels. I'm rather passionate about Star Trek and James Bond. I love them to death but I don't have to love every single thing about them. There's only one Bond movie out of all the 24 films that I can flat out say I don't like and that's Die Another Day. I happen to enjoy most Bond films, most more than others. But that doesn't mean they are immune to criticism from me or anyone else.
    You know? That's perfectly fine for me actually. It's all a matter of taste. But oughtn't we be a bit more protective of the franchises we really love? Not writing off something completely before even a film or episode has been produced? Try to be open-minded? I mean....recently Sam Mendes has become like the representative of the devil in this topic. That's unfair. The man made a Bond film no less. Two. In the past we didn't grill Lee Tamahoori, like we do know with Mendes. I dislike DAD, but there's no reason to turn him into a paria. I have nothing against Tamahoori. Fine guy.

It doesn't come off that way considering you jump on anyone who has an opinion you don't like. You don't seem to know how protective of Bond I am. I own all the Bond films on different formats. I have all the soundtracks. I make posters and wallpapers to them. If I didn't hold the Bond franchise dear like you think I don't then I wouldn't have or make those things. I dismiss Nolan because I don't like what he brings to his films, I've seen a handful of his movies and the outcome is always the same. How would that bolster any confidence in me? How would you feel if Lee Tamahori was announced to be directing Bond 25 and it would end up being on par or worse than DAD? That would be a letdown to you wouldn't it? I am open to many things, but I don't have to automatically like them. Welcome to the internet. Things get criticized all the time. It's a part of life and we all have to deal with it. Pierce and his films get crapped on all the time here and I think it's unfair but I don't bother commenting against those posts anymore. I ignore them and hope the fire dies out, not fan the flames in the heat of the moment. Life is too short for that.

Bond fandom this way becomes not just critical -which is all fine for me- but also extremely harsh, and in a way self-destructive for whatever Bond film still needs to premiere. I know we all want to be our own director. But in the end we aren't. We are not the decision-makers.

This is all fandoms, Not just Bond. All fandoms go through a negativity phase. Yeah it's annoying but we just have to deal with it until Bond 25 finally shows up. And no we're not the directors but that doesn't mean can't speculate and talk about what we want and don't want.
    You won't deserve Nolan's future 007 masterpiece.
    You know what PeppermintPatty, I really don't care.

How would you guys and girls react if they announced
    Barbara Broccoli
    as the director of BOND 25? My insect antennae tell me @Gustav_Graves would love the idea. Tell me GG, if I'm wrong!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    They seem super concerned with finding someone Craig likes to direct, so why not just let him do it. He's already a producer.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They seem super concerned with finding someone Craig likes to direct, so why not just let him do it. He's already a producer.
    Mate, you're feeding them ideas.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Did MGM object to Sony products in SP, or was it Craig? I don't think I read anything about MGM's (or the producer's) views.

My recollection is that both Craig and Mendes objected, the Sony products were beneath Bond, etc.

My recollection is that both Craig and Mendes objected, the Sony products were beneath Bond, etc.

Sampling of stories from the time:

The Independent
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/daniel-craig-and-sam-mendes-resisted-android-product-placement-in-spectre-because-james-bond-only-a6717941.html

The Verge
    https://www.theverge.com/2015/4/24/8488453/james-bond-sony-product-placement-xperia-z4-spectre

Digital Trends
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/james-bond-disses-sony-xperia-z4/

Actually there is a tried and proven procedure for producers with such occurrences:
    "Shut up and do as you are told! "
    I really wonder what kind of contracts they are signing these days in the movie business.

Sampling of stories from the time:

The Independent
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/daniel-craig-and-sam-mendes-resisted-android-product-placement-in-spectre-because-james-bond-only-a6717941.html

The Verge
    https://www.theverge.com/2015/4/24/8488453/james-bond-sony-product-placement-xperia-z4-spectre

Digital Trends
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/james-bond-disses-sony-xperia-z4/
    Thanks for that. This is what I thought. Fascinating. Tweedledee and Tweedledum.
    It's frankly laughable that Sam and Dan know the character so well that they drew the line when it came to a phone but were perfectly happy to run with Blofeld. Pathetic.

Get a grip of your employees Babs it's not a hippy commune where everyone gets to chuck in their half baked ideas into a creativity pool.
  • I like both Mendes and Nolan, but I really fail to see any similarity in their directing styles.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's frankly laughable that Sam and Dan know the character so well that they drew the line when it came to a phone but were perfectly happy to run with Blofeld. Pathetic.

Get a grip of your employees Babs it's not a hippy commune where everyone gets to chuck in their half baked ideas into a creativity pool.

Actually, that's how the Bond films have been made since the beginning with Cubby and Harry. As far as we're told in some of the making of doco's.
    I recall Bill Cartlidge in TSWLM or MR saying even the tea lady could make a suggestion that would be brought on board.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

While I'm not as tough on these people as you are, I have to admit it would be great fun to see you stage a coup at EON Productions. Just break into Barbara's office, machinegun in hand, and tell her to take a hike, then have Craig, Purvis and Wade fired, Mendes blacklisted in Hollywood, etc. All while wearing a Vladek Sheybal rubber mask and leather gloves.
    Benny wrote: »

Actually, that's how the Bond films have been made since the beginning with Cubby and Harry. As far as we're told in some of the making of doco's.
    I recall Bill Cartlidge in TSWLM or MR saying even the tea lady could make a suggestion that would be brought on board.

Any chance of tracking said tea lady down and seeing if she fancies writing the script?
    mattjoes wrote: »

While I'm not as tough on these people as you are, I have to admit it would be great fun to see you stage a coup at EON Productions. Just break into Barbara's office, machinegun in hand, and tell her to take a hike, then have Craig, Purvis and Wade fired, Mendes blacklisted in Hollywood, etc. All while wearing a Vladek Sheybal rubber mask and leather gloves.

And for Rory's sake let's hope he's not in the office that day!

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Genius! :))
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

And after all that cleaning of house, Denis Villeneuve would be hailed as the new god.
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    Wish I was a star wars fan instead. They get a movie a year now, whilst we get one every 4 years. With the lead actor not wanting to be in it, to boot hahah

After that, give Nolan total creative control, and I MYSELF will carry you to the gates of Valhalla!