The Official Halloween thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Happy Halloween!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Ludovico, out of curiosity, have you ever read any of Arthur Conan Doyle's horror tales? He's my favorite writer, but I've not yet dabbled in that section of his works and would be interested to hear others' impressions on them.
    @Ludovico, out of curiosity, have you ever read any of Arthur Conan Doyle's horror tales? He's my favorite writer, but I've not yet dabbled in that section of his works and would be interested to hear others' impressions on them.

I haven't yet unfortunately. Although I'd say that The Hound of the Baskervilles is a quasi horror story.

Funnily enough I saw an anthology of ghost stories today with one of his stories in it in our local bookshop. I was tempted to buy it but my bookshelves are crammed. There were a few I was very tempted to buy actually.
  • In addition to The Hound of the Baskervilles, which certainly qualifies as horror, I've read his short story "The American's Tale" about a giant man-eating Venus flytrap that lives in a gulch. Pretty imaginative stuff.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, Hound definitely plays with a horror style, where a mystery is presented that is perceived as a demonic sort of evil at the start. Doyle was smart to have so much of the story stick with Watson, whose lack of Holmes-like rationality and dedicated logic allow us to experience how a man can believe in something being supernatural over time.

I still need to see the Hammer horror adaptation, but am excited to see it.
    I don't think the Hound is a horror novel. It has a completely rational and natural explanation for one and it very much belongs to the crime fiction genre. That said it has some elements of horror, although they are counterfeit.

The Hammer adaptation is fun but a bit of a mixed bag. The horror elements are certainly stronger than in the source material, even the motivations of the villain is changed into something far less rational. It seems that they were more comfortable with the eerie atmosphere of the novel than with Sherlock Holmes and it shows. As an adaptation it's rather poor, as a plot it is iffy (they have never been very good on plots), but as a Hammer movie it delivers and Peter Cushing is great as usual.
    Anybody ever thought about what would have happened had Myers not escaped custody in Halloween? I think they'd all be in serious trouble, although the kids would have really enjoyed their night.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Anybody ever thought about what would have happened had Myers not escaped custody in Halloween? I think they'd all be in serious trouble, although the kids would have really enjoyed their night.

As far as I can remember he didn't really do anything in the asylum, or do I remember incorrectly?
  • Happy Halloween, everyone! I took the day off work, as I always do. I have no actual plans, so I'm going to spend the day chilling on my couch and watching horror movies.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think the Hound is a horror novel. It has a completely rational and natural explanation for one and it very much belongs to the crime fiction genre. That said it has some elements of horror, although they are counterfeit.

The Hammer adaptation is fun but a bit of a mixed bag. The horror elements are certainly stronger than in the source material, even the motivations of the villain is changed into something far less rational. It seems that they were more comfortable with the eerie atmosphere of the novel than with Sherlock Holmes and it shows. As an adaptation it's rather poor, as a plot it is iffy (they have never been very good on plots), but as a Hammer movie it delivers and Peter Cushing is great as usual.

It's ok but I don't think it's one of Hammer's best. My absolute favourites are The Mummy and The Devil Rides Out.

The best adaption I've seen of The Hound of the Basekervilles must be the 1939 version by Sidney Lanfield with Basil Rathbone.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Happy Halloween everybody. I'm eyeing a fat pile of candy, and a viewing of The Thing and Halloween before the day ends. Hope I'm successful.
    Indeed Happy Halloween to you all.
    I have a date with some whisky and Michael Myers in the original Halloween this evening.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I have a date with some whisky and Michael Myers in the original Halloween this evening.

Good plan. Mine's eerily similar. But I may be drinking Rum. As well as Whisky....

Good plan. Mine's eerily similar. But I may be drinking Rum. As well as Whisky....

Spoilt for choice..i like that !

• barryt007 wrote: »

Oh that sounds wonderful. Before you know it you'll be running around in your trench coat, grabbing people by the shoulders and yelling, "I drank six shots! I drank six shots! I'm not human!"

Oh that sounds wonderful. Before you know it you'll be running around in your trench coat, grabbing people by the shoulders and yelling, "I drank six shots! I drank six shots! I'm not human!"

Sounds like a normal Saturday night in my life hahaha ;)

• barryt007 wrote: »

Sounds like a normal Saturday night in my life hahaha ;)

As long as it's not a normal Tuesday night ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I watched Horror Of Dracula last night, and for official Halloween (I have it off as usual) I'll be watching Dracula Prince Of Darkness, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, Taste The Blood Of Dracula, Dracula AD 1972 and will end my Halloween marathon with Aliens.
    Ambitious but possible... ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I watched Horror Of Dracula last night, and for official Halloween (I have it off as usual) I'll be watching Dracula Prince Of Darkness, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, Taste The Blood Of Dracula, Dracula AD 1972 and will end my Halloween marathon with Aliens.
    Ambitious but possible... ;)

Well done...a day well spent Chris !!

• Speaking of Tuesday nights...

Knight.jpg

tuesday-knight-nightmare.jpg

20130105-104301.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not much of a Halloween following down my way in Australia, I'm afraid. Although some kids did knock on my door for the first time in years this afternoon. It's a pity, because it really is a fun time. I do remember going trick or treating once, in my pre-teens, but not much candy was collected, a lot of people answering the door with surprise. Do any Aussie members here celebrate, dress up etc.? Anyway, Happy Halloween everyone! I'm celebrating by watching some Stranger Things and Walking Dead.
    Wtaching the original Halloween now...love the music..the best,Laurie looking at all the kids trick or treating.
    Wtaching the original Halloween now...love the music..the best,Laurie looking at all the kids trick or treating.

Got my anniversary edition blu-ray prepped for tonight! Plan on watching The Thing here in a couple of hours.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Got my anniversary edition blu-ray prepped for tonight! Plan on watching The Thing here in a couple of hours.

Nice one !!
    Its not Halloween without Halloween !

Time for a whisky and lemonade methinks !

Nice one !!

It's about that time! I'd like to make time to fit the sequel in after, but we'll see.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just finished Dracula Prince Of Darkness, and while not quite what its predecessor was, it was nicely atmospheric and Andrew Keir added a bit of punch to it. On to the next!

Nice one !!

It's about that time! I'd like to make time to fit the sequel in after, but we'll see.

I might be able to fit in another film but Halloween II isnt on SKY Halloween On Demand !!

Nice one !!

I might be able to fit in another film but Halloween II isnt on SKY Halloween On Demand !!

Thankfully I have them both on blu-ray - the only two I really ever bother rewatching.
    I might pick 'The Thing' if i have time.