The Horror Thread II: The Return

15455575960101

Comments

  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 11,877
    Crystal lake in the winter time?

    giphy.gif

    "You're tearing me apart, Paramount."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,609
    I would've loved that underneath-the-ice shot as the freezing Crystal Lake water slowly turns blood red.
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,003
    Just saw an early screening of Leatherface! Wow. Part me wants to say it’s bad but the other part of me says it’s really good. It’s a late teen early 20s leatherface origin so not sure what else they could really do.

    Most of the movie was kinda anti climatic and boring but the last 15 minutes were amazing. I don’t normally get scared or feel the suspense with these B movie horror films but damn!! My only thing is why even make this film if you aren’t going to make a sequel. It’s a prequel to the first so they can’t reallt do anything else. Should’ve just called it a new series and done a few films.

    This is spoiler review below for those who want the details..
    Movie opened with a kids birthday and he gets a chainsaw. They try to force the kid to kill this guy who was apparently stealing from them but he can’t go through with it.. The same young kids lure the sheriffs daughter to a barn, she falls down a hole and is cut up pretty bad. It was obviously a trap. Very very gory. One of the kids releases a lever and a huge crate falls on her brutally killing her. The sheriff shows up and has the kids put into a mental hospital and taken away from their mother. Years later..The Mom visits the hospital wants to see her son (Leatherface), the doctor says no and she causes a riot letting all of the patients out. So her son who is actually the only intelligent and normal one out of the group is forced to go with a crazy couple , a huge dude who I thought was LF and a nurse. Anyways the police show up and there’s some other scenes inbetween. Everyone gets killed, the nurse and LF aka Jackson are in a cop car driving away when the police shoot at them causing them to crash. Jackson gets shot in the side of his face tearing it a part. Sheriff tries to kill him but his family rescues him. He chainsaws the sheriff to death. The nurse who has befriended him and gotten close with him escapes. He chases after her in the woods. It’s night time. Her foot gets stuck in a bear trap and the Mom and LF corner her. She tries to talk some sense into him and he almost lets her go until she says “I can help you get away from your crazy mom.” That pisses him off and he cuts her head off... Movie ends with him sewing and making a mask from her face. He ties it to his face. Looks in a mirror. Screams and smashes the mirror with a pair of scissors. The movie ends with some upbeat horror music and a chainsaw in the background..
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,609
    A never-before-seen BTS image of Pennywise in the original miniseries, unveiled by those doing a documentary on it, which is aiming for an April 2018 release. The link contains a lot more information on it all, including getting to interview Tim Curry at his house:

    http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3464912/exclusive-update-pennywise-story-never-seen-photo-miniseries/

    wise.jpg?w=1157
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    Posts: 11,877
    @CASINOROYALE - I would really like to see a sequel to Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (and in turn, the original film), with Leatherface's daughter taking up the chainsaw.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 19,595
    @MajorDSmythe
    Yes, you and I both! But alas money talks and it would appear that the forces that be prefer to forget about Leatherface. I have a soft spot for that film though, and I have always secretly dreamed about a sequel to it. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    Posts: 11,877
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe
    Yes, you and I both! But alas money talks and it would appear that the forces that be prefer to forget about Leatherface. I have a soft spot for that film though, and I have always secretly dreamed about a sequel to it. :)

    I suggest we get the rights, and make the film ourselves @DarthDimi.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 19,595
    @MajorDSmythe
    Yes, you and I both! But alas money talks and it would appear that the forces that be prefer to forget about Leatherface. I have a soft spot for that film though, and I have always secretly dreamed about a sequel to it. :)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,418
    I don't watch that many horror films, and this is my first ever post on this thread...I think.

    Anyways, saw IT at the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it, and found it pretty damned scary.
    HOWEVER, the sound wasn't brilliant at this screening and I must've lost 50% of the dialogue. As a result I couldn't work out the following
    1. Why was Pennywise unable to kill any of the kids when they were all together?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,609
    NicNac wrote: »
    I don't watch that many horror films, and this is my first ever post on this thread...I think.

    Anyways, saw IT at the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it, and found it pretty damned scary.
    HOWEVER, the sound wasn't brilliant at this screening and I must've lost 50% of the dialogue. As a result I couldn't work out the following
    1. Why was Pennywise unable to kill any of the kids when they were all together?
    Do you mean during the finale when they're all doing battle in the sewers in those final moments? It's because Pennywise works off of fear - when the kids don't fear him, he loses his power and strength. When they learn to accept that what they see (the stuff everyone else can't see, like the blood in Bev's bathroom) isn't real, they gain power over him. Fear is his ultimate tool and weapon.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,418
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    I don't watch that many horror films, and this is my first ever post on this thread...I think.

    Anyways, saw IT at the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it, and found it pretty damned scary.
    HOWEVER, the sound wasn't brilliant at this screening and I must've lost 50% of the dialogue. As a result I couldn't work out the following
    1. Why was Pennywise unable to kill any of the kids when they were all together?
    Do you mean during the finale when they're all doing battle in the sewers in those final moments? It's because Pennywise works off of fear - when the kids don't fear him, he loses his power and strength. When they learn to accept that what they see (the stuff everyone else can't see, like the blood in Bev's bathroom) isn't real, they gain power over him. Fear is his ultimate tool and weapon.
    It could be that. I may have misunderstood. I just had the impression that PW's powers dissipated when the 7 kids were all together. It could simply be that they found strength in numbers and lost their fear.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,609
  • I've been watching horror movies almost every day to celebrate Halloween, although to be honest, I pretty much do that all year round.
    Just watched 1961's Curse of the Werewolf. It had both Q and Professor Dent in it!
  • jackdagger wrote: »
    I've been watching horror movies almost every day to celebrate Halloween, although to be honest, I pretty much do that all year round.

    You and me both! The year round part. This month has been decidedly light on horror film watching on account of time to do so.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    I've been trying to do the same, but I have to resort to channel surfing as I don't own many horror films. Maybe the issue is that I watch TV about 90% less than I used to, but nothing ever seems to be on. AMC haven't run their Elm Street, Friday the 13th or Halloween marathons in the lead up to the holiday, which is curious. Perhaps they're waiting to count down the final ten days leading up to the 31st with those films, but at that point, why bother?
  • AMC haven't run their Elm Street, Friday the 13th or Halloween marathons in the lead up to the holiday, which is curious.

    I wondered about this too, but I guess their FearFest marathon starts Monday.
    ...I'm going to run out of room in my DVR.

  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Posts: 3,330
    jackdagger wrote: »
    I've been watching horror movies almost every day to celebrate Halloween, although to be honest, I pretty much do that all year round.
    Just watched 1961's Curse of the Werewolf. It had both Q and Professor Dent in it!

    Curse of the Werewolf is a great film. Brilliant Werewolf in it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,330
    So far this Halloween I've watched The Funhouse, Day of the Dead and Halloween II. love this time of year!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 19,595
    Don't . watch . LEATHERFACE!
    The only horror you'll experience is the realisation that you've wasted 84 precious minutes.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,644
    I dunno if The Snowman is a pure horror film but the reviews sure are horrific!

    https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/19/16503550/snowman-review-fassbender-all-the-clues

    "Harry Hole."

    I challenge anyone to say that aloud without laughing. :P
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,807
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Don't . watch . LEATHERFACE!
    The only horror you'll experience is the realisation that you've wasted 84 precious minutes.

    That’s a damn shame, I was looking forward to that one :(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 19,595
    You can read my spoiler-free review in the movies thread, @Master_Dahark. But hey, watch the film if you want to and tell me what you think about it. It'll be interesting to compare notes. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,609
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    You can read my spoiler-free review in the movies thread, @Master_Dahark. But hey, watch the film if you want to and tell me what you think about it. It'll be interesting to compare notes. ;-)

    I read someone say it was the worst in the series, which is shocking if true.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    jackdagger wrote: »
    AMC haven't run their Elm Street, Friday the 13th or Halloween marathons in the lead up to the holiday, which is curious.

    I wondered about this too, but I guess their FearFest marathon starts Monday.
    ...I'm going to run out of room in my DVR.

    @jackdagger, it seems that all the channels I head to to watch Halloween films in the lead up to the holiday are only showing things for the last ten days of the month. I remember a greater time when the entire month of October was free game for all types of Halloween films.

    It's like not showing any Christmas movies until the 15th of December. Hell, on ABC, another spot I go to to watch some Halloween films, they only seem to be showing holiday-centric films for the next 10 days, but are already advertising for their upcoming Christmas programming that will start in mid-November! What's up with that?

    By the way, @jackdagger, great to see you back around here, even if it's only for a short time. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 19,595
    @Creasy47
    It's definitely one of the biggest disappointments for me in a long slew of horror revival disappointments. On par with how I felt about Survival Of The Dead.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,609
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Creasy47
    It's definitely one of the biggest disappointments for me in a long slew of horror revival disappointments. On par with how I felt about Survival Of The Dead.

    So even worse than the previous installment? Because that one was REAL bad to me, and I thought the trailers for this didn't look too bad; at least more realistic in terms of the gore and cinematography. The previous installment (the one with the circus scene and the horrid, horrid twist) was beyond bad, with CG blood and gore to make it even worse.
  • @jackdagger, it seems that all the channels I head to to watch Halloween films in the lead up to the holiday are only showing things for the last ten days of the month. I remember a greater time when the entire month of October was free game for all types of Halloween films.

    It's like not showing any Christmas movies until the 15th of December. Hell, on ABC, another spot I go to to watch some Halloween films, they only seem to be showing holiday-centric films for the next 10 days, but are already advertising for their upcoming Christmas programming that will start in mid-November! What's up with that?

    By the way, @jackdagger, great to see you back around here, even if it's only for a short time. :)

    Yes, it's been disappointing. I know Syfy is celebrating Halloween all month, but I'm not sure if that counts because they're just playing the same programming they always do.
    TCM has been playing a lot of old horror movies from the 30's - 60's that I've been watching. But other than that, not much.

    (Thanks, Brady! I actually visit the forum pretty often, I just don't post much anymore.)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    jackdagger wrote: »
    (Thanks, Brady! I actually visit the forum pretty often, I just don't post much anymore.)

    Oh, well, that's good all the same. Nice to know you're still around, even if behind the curtain. ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 19,595
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Creasy47
    It's definitely one of the biggest disappointments for me in a long slew of horror revival disappointments. On par with how I felt about Survival Of The Dead.

    So even worse than the previous installment? Because that one was REAL bad to me, and I thought the trailers for this didn't look too bad; at least more realistic in terms of the gore and cinematography. The previous installment (the one with the circus scene and the horrid, horrid twist) was beyond bad, with CG blood and gore to make it even worse.

    @Creasy47
    IMO, yes, much worse, unless Stephen Dorff and Lily Taylor make all the difference to you just by their presence. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Kingdumb of Norway
    Posts: 41,309
Sign In or Register to comment.