The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I predict Michael will try to strangle her, and before she dies she’ll mutter ‘sploosh’

Close! Michael will actually kill her via an overconsumption of cocaine and bear claws.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What happens on the scratchy green office rug in haddonfield, stays on the scratchy green office rug in haddonfield.

I only saw bit of the Rob Zobie films, and didn't feel the want to see them completely.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Judy Greer will play Jamie Lee Curtis' daughter in Halloween, set to begin filming in a few weeks in South Carolina:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/judy-greer-jamie-lee-curtis-halloween-reboot-1202180641/

I am hoping her character is named Jamie Lloyd because why not screw with the franchise even more
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I don't like how they are acting as if films 3-8 didn't happen, and in doing so, are creating another timeline. See, I would have like it if they had made Halloween 9, in a similar style to Curse Of Chucky. The bloodline is still there, they could set the film around Steven, and not even need to mention Thorn.
    Though it isn't quite as bad as the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films, which have around 6 timelines (including this years Leatherface).
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,473
    I don't like how they are acting as if films 3-8 didn't happen, and in doing so, are creating another timeline. See, I would have like it if they had made Halloween 9, in a similar style to Curse Of Chucky. The bloodline is still there, they could set the film around Steven, and not even need to mention Thorn.
    Though it isn't quite as bad as the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films, which have around 6 timelines (including this years Leatherface).

I don't really mind it. Probably makes it easier for them to tackle, lest they create confusion by doing a sequel that isn't a sequel to Zombie's work but, say, Halloween: Resurrection.

It's the same thing with the Alien franchise now, which is becoming more and more muddled with each new release. They could continue down the path (which I don't even think they know what their end game is anymore), or they could've gone with Blomkamp's idea and just work off of the first two films and nothing more; they opted for the former, and audiences are still confused.

Will be interesting to see how general audiences handle the new Terminator that'll also ignore everything past the first two movies.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Will be interesting to see how general audiences handle the new Terminator that'll also ignore everything past the first two movies.

That's not too much of a loss. The only good thing past T2 was Salvation, IMO. Which I thought was the best direction for the franchise. The whole time traveling thing is going to get old.
    The writers of the Friday the 13th reboot had penned a script for a sequel, which would follow an all-new set of characters and be set in winter, which they now revealed was titled Friday the 13th: Camp Blood - The Death of Jason Vorhees.

Apparently that's all they've chosen to reveal, in hopes that the sequel could somehow see the light of day in the future.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3463889/writers-finally-reveal-title-unmade-friday-13th-remakes-sequel/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I hope this doesn't happen, but with talk of the new Halloween starring Laurie and her daughter, they could do what Hitchcock did with Jamie's mom and axe Laurie off at the start in a surprise moment to homage it and have the rest of the film between her unwitting daughter and Michael. Really hope that's not what would happen though, as I want a really meaty and interesting final confrontation between Laurie and Michael.
    The writers of the Friday the 13th reboot had penned a script for a sequel, which would follow an all-new set of characters and be set in winter, which they now revealed was titled Friday the 13th: Camp Blood - The Death of Jason Vorhees.

Apparently that's all they've chosen to reveal, in hopes that the sequel could somehow see the light of day in the future.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3463889/writers-finally-reveal-title-unmade-friday-13th-remakes-sequel/

Can't say I'm ever excited for these Friday films (they are all basically the same if they're set on a camp), but a movie depicted in winter with Jason facing the elements to kill the campers is interesting and a new place for the series.

We don't see enough snow in horror films, but I think the elements and dangers of nature are what make films like The Thing so powerful and atmospheric. If that film was set in the summer, it just wouldn't carry the same impact. Much like why horror films work best in the dark, for obvious reasons. Though some brave auteur filmmaker should make a daylight set horror film to shake things up. Part of what makes Halloween so interesting is that Carpenter does spend a lot of time setting up the story as the day goes on, with Michael out and about and not hidden by shadow. Because we see him clearly, it's all the more unsettling, like when Laurie looks out her window and sees him there in plain view.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I hope they don't - I'm really eager to see Curtis in this, and it would feel like a weak retread of what they did in Resurrection, with her getting killed off so quickly.

As for F13, a lot of us die-hards are in agreement about craving a winter setting, mainly for the fact that it really would spice up so much - the kill varieties, the entire look and feel of the film, even the situations the victims get themselves in (I can see someone running from Jason, realizing that he's leaving a perfect set of tracks for him to follow, and he has to try and one-up him).

There's such a barren, hopeless feel when we get horror mixing with a wintery setting. Hell, even the recent Wind River, which was merely a thriller with no horror elements, had that same feel of lost hopelessness and dread, as they find themselves surrounded by endless snowstorms and no outside assistance.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I hope they don't - I'm really eager to see Curtis in this, and it would feel like a weak retread of what they did in Resurrection, with her getting killed off so quickly.

As for F13, a lot of us die-hards are in agreement about craving a winter setting, mainly for the fact that it really would spice up so much - the kill varieties, the entire look and feel of the film, even the situations the victims get themselves in (I can see someone running from Jason, realizing that he's leaving a perfect set of tracks for him to follow, and he has to try and one-up him).

There's such a barren, hopeless feel when we get horror mixing with a wintery setting. Hell, even the recent Wind River, which was merely a thriller with no horror elements, had that same feel of lost hopelessness and dread, as they find themselves surrounded by endless snowstorms and no outside assistance.

Yeah, snow makes any film carry a sense of dread. One of my favorite recent films was The Grey, which was all about facing the elements.

For what its worth, this coming Friday is when the 2017 film should have been released, had it survived to the filming stage.

So they were planning ahead with a sequel? God dammit, they had an idea in place for the next film... that just makes it worse. But I am determined to cling to the hope that when New Line get the rights back in 2018, they will waste no time in getting a film underway.

A wintery setting is high on my wishlist for a future Friday film.
    The image alone of Camp Crystal lake frozen, and the possible final fight with Jason being on the frozen lake with all the ice cracking around the survivors as he closes in, has a lot of potential for me. And it would be a great flip on the script for what started it all with Jason's drowning. He heads onto the ice thinking it's solid and there's nothing to fear, but things start to crack and he relives those traumatic memories of drowning so long ago.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I had a feeling The Grey would be pretty generic, but I finally caught it a year or two back and was blown away by just how great it all was.

@MajorDSmythe, just to think we could be discussing our plans to see a new F13 right now, drooling over a trailer for it. What a shame. I think if those involved have been wanting a snowy setting as bad as the fans, then it will likely happen in the future (if F13 progress can pick up yet again). One can hope.

I'm sure with the reboot reaching a 10 year age by 2019, the best the sequel script would get is a re-crafting into an original story. Though I'd appreciate the hell out of it if they did just go with a sequel, especially if it was their intention of following a brand new cast and not bringing up the survivors of the reboot.
    We're in an interesting place with horror, where the old dogs like Friday, Nightmare and Halloween have all had recent sequels/films falling dry in production, have had failed reboots and have generally fallen out of interest for well over a decade now (not counting the failed Nightmare reboot). Perhaps studios have found out the truth, and what had to happen eventually, that formula horror would run its course? While not to say that there's no room for variety in the above films, there is a real limit on what one can do with films set in one camp site or one town each and every time, with the same retread themes and ideas.

In the place of the old guard being staled out, we're seeing some interesting new horror films come out that are their own, individual and unique thing, so is it better this way? Originality in modern horror came around the time that the old "icons" died out, interestingly enough.
    I'm not sure horror films today as are varied and original as they could be, but I do miss having a lot of the typical franchises making an appearance every now and then. The aforementioned three you listed all dropped out after a failed reboot and their current status seems to be in limbo. At least we're getting something from Halloween, though.

I think they can keep a series like F13 a success by simply working off the tried-and-tested formula, only with a twist. Like we said, just get a bunch of gorgeous campers together, throw in some alcohol, weed, and sex, all on top of a violently angry Jason...but with a twist like setting it in the winter, or take us back to the 80's (no cellphones/overly modern technology for the victims to utilize), or what have you.
    @Creasy47, there's definitely a way to shake things up, by playing on the retro theme or by changing the location or stakes of these horror films, like H20 taking place away from the Haddonfield neighborhood and a Jason film not rooted in the same camp.

I think horror films can follow some trends too much, however, and go in a direction that hurts them by trying to be different. We're now in a filmmaking climate where it's very popular to peel back the layers behind characters and we've seen recent horror films trying to do that with the "villains" of their stories, where their evil is explained or given some meaning or purpose, but I don't really like that.

Carpenter said it best when he made it known he didn't like how later writers explained Michael's origins, because he always imagined him as the personification of evil that simply was evil without any rhyme or reason. Michael is scarier when we know he's just like that and always will be, just as Loomis must come face to face with the idea that he can't change the unchangeable. That helpless feeling adds so much, as does our ignorance of evil.

I hope that horror films back away from showing us or telling us everything about the "monsters," and simply let them be who they are, mysteriously doing what they do. You can't reveal everything about them or give them such a massive origin such that there isn't that feeling of mystery and curiosity left. Michael is scary because we don't know what drives him, and we share Loomis' dread because we realize that there is no reaching him, even if we knew what was wrong.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, indeed. I do miss the days when we didn't need an expanded backstory for every single character in film history. Sometimes it's nice to know that someone (like Michael Myers) is pure evil wearing a mask, and that's that. Zombie spending a good 30-50 minutes explaining the backstory of Michael was not only unnecessary, but further takes away from the mystery of it all, and really served no purpose.

As you said, they're monsters, and nothing more is needed. They're the embodiment of evil.

I think one of the more recent F13 scripts that floated about before crashing and burning even went that same route, attempting to bring back both Pamela Voorhees and Jason's father in some crazy origin explanation twist, which would've been a horrible idea.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I had a feeling The Grey would be pretty generic, but I finally caught it a year or two back and was blown away by just how great it all was.

@MajorDSmythe, just to think we could be discussing our plans to see a new F13 right now, drooling over a trailer for it. What a shame. I think if those involved have been wanting a snowy setting as bad as the fans, then it will likely happen in the future (if F13 progress can pick up yet again). One can hope.

I'm sure with the reboot reaching a 10 year age by 2019, the best the sequel script would get is a re-crafting into an original story. Though I'd appreciate the hell out of it if they did just go with a sequel, especially if it was their intention of following a brand new cast and not bringing up the survivors of the reboot.

I will just come out and say it, I think had the 2017 began filming, I think they would have dropped the bombshell that Kane Hodder would be putting on the hockey mask once more. Back in January, he mentioned a big surprise that he couldn't say anything about. he has since not made a mention of anything further. He still states that playing Jason was a dream come true, it was not his choice to leave the role, and would still be Jason today. And even a brief look at the mo-cap session for the game show that Kane can still play Jason, even at the age of 62.

A F13 film without the camp as we know it, has been done before, twice actually. By the events of Jason Goes To Hell (released in 1993, but taking place around 1996), the camp site has been torn down, and by the events of Jason X (released 2001 but the film opens in 2008), the site of the camp now houses the Crystal Lake Reserach Centre.

That is a valid, but sad, point you've brought up @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. In the 1980's, those films ruled the horror genre. 8 Friday The 13th films, 4 Halloween films and 5 A Nightmare On Elm Street films.
    @MajorDSmythe, so Kane's announcement was unconnected to the news that he was going to be in the game? If anything, the next time a movie is casting a Jason they only have to look at his mo-cap to see what he can do. I'd love to see him as the Jason for the film planned around a winter climate. It could be extremely moody, with Kane playing a berserk Jason trying to survive the elements while all the campers are facing him and a blizzard. Jason in white out, where you can't even see him when he comes behind you and leaves a streak of red on the white ground. The potential for the movie and the kind of shots they could do, like Jason emerging from a clear white blizzard with a machete, would be so cool to see executed.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, indeed. I do miss the days when we didn't need an expanded backstory for every single character in film history. Sometimes it's nice to know that someone (like Michael Myers) is pure evil wearing a mask, and that's that. Zombie spending a good 30-50 minutes explaining the backstory of Michael was not only unnecessary, but further takes away from the mystery of it all, and really served no purpose.

As you said, they're monsters, and nothing more is needed. They're the embodiment of evil.

I think one of the more recent F13 scripts that floated about before crashing and burning even went that same route, attempting to bring back both Pamela Voorhees and Jason's father in some crazy origin explanation twist, which would've been a horrible idea.

Ouch. Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I mean. It isn't enough for Jason to be motivated to avenge his mother and to get back at those who ignored him, some daddy drama must be tossed in for good measure that weights it down further.

It'd be like an Elm Street film spending an hour of its runtime showing Freddy's early life and how his dad sexually abused him, leading him to act out with kids as an adult. Why?!
    @MajorDSmythe, so Kane's announcement was unconnected to the news that he was going to be in the game? If anything, the next time a movie is casting a Jason they only have to look at his mo-cap to see what he can do. I'd love to see him as the Jason for the film planned around a winter climate. It could be extremely moody, with Kane playing a berserk Jason trying to survive the elements while all the campers are facing him and a blizzard. Jason in white out, where you can't even see him when he comes behind you and leaves a streak of red on the white ground. The potential for the movie and the kind of shots they could do, like Jason emerging from a clear white blizzard with a machete, would be so cool to see executed.

Kane's involvement in the game had been known since 2016. Here's a clip posted on the Gun Media youtube account from February of last year:

It is possible that I might be barking up the wrong tree, but... I don't know, I just have this strong feeling that Kane was going to play Jason in the new film.
    Now it's about damn time. The Strangers sequel, now titled Strangers: Prey at Night, will be released on March 9th, 2018:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3464328/strangers-prey-night-gets-early-2018-date/

Terrible subtitle, but I'm looking forward to it. Hoping it's as creepy as the first.
    Now it's about damn time. The Strangers sequel, now titled Strangers: Prey at Night, will be released on March 9th, 2018:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3464328/strangers-prey-night-gets-early-2018-date/

Terrible subtitle, but I'm looking forward to it. Hoping it's as creepy as the first.

@Creasy47, I don't remember that film all that well, but I was genuinely creeped out when I saw it which is hard for films of this genre to do. The more chilling moment, and one I still remember clearly, is when the husband or wife looks at the "Strangers" and says, "Why are you doing this?" (or something to that effect) and one of them replies, "Because you were home."

Goosebumps...

@Creasy47, I don't remember that film all that well, but I was genuinely creeped out when I saw it which is hard for films of this genre to do. The more chilling moment, and one I still remember clearly, is when the husband or wife looks at the "Strangers" and says, "Why are you doing this?" (or something to that effect) and one of them replies, "Because you were home."

Goosebumps...

That's what I love about it: the simplicity and realism in the set-up. Something twisted and creepy like that can happen to anyone.

A real haunting moment for me is when Liv Tyler's character is home alone. Pours herself a cup of water and stands quietly in the living room, as one of the killers slowly creeps into frame in the background behind her; he waits in silence before disappearing yet again.

Goosebumps...

That's what I love about it: the simplicity and realism in the set-up. Something twisted and creepy like that can happen to anyone.

A real haunting moment for me is when Liv Tyler's character is home alone. Pours herself a cup of water and stands quietly in the living room, as one of the killers slowly creeps into frame in the background behind her; he waits in silence before disappearing yet again.

Yeah, the camerawork is really clever and creates that dread early on. I bring this up a lot, but that's what makes horror films like Halloween so memorable, where you can blink and miss shots of Michael shifting from one shadow to another.
    Corey Feldman lays out ideas for how he could return to the Friday the 13th franchise:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3464447/corey-feldman-lays-idea-return-friday-13th-franchise/

Also, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are releasing a cover of the Halloween theme song tomorrow!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3464419/trent-reznor-releasing-cover-john-carpenters-halloween-friday-13th/
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,003
    Judy Greer? Hmm
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I am 36 years old, love Stephen King., seen the original IT TV two part 20 plus times in my life loved it. Read the novel, very disturbing. But I have to say the new film was excellent. I really really enjoyed it. The Director did a great job, I went in to it thinking why are you doing this?, why are you remaking horror gold? but I was wrong.
    I am 36 years old, love Stephen King., seen the original IT TV two part 20 plus times in my life loved it. Read the novel, very disturbing. But I have to say the new film was excellent. I really really enjoyed it. The Director did a great job, I went in to it thinking why are you doing this?, why are you remaking horror gold? but I was wrong.

The thing to note is that it isn't necessarily a remake of the miniseries, as it is its own take on the novel. There's a lot in this new one that the miniseries didn't tackle (such as Neibolt Street), and I'd say some bits in the miniseries that were better than the 2017 take (I actually prefer the rock battle in the quarry of the miniseries). I'm happy to have found it incredibly scary and well done - it relied on jumpscares, but thankfully a couple of them managed to work for me.

The miniseries feels a bit dated if you return to it these days - terrified me as a kid, but it's a bit lighthearted and "funny" in sections now that once scared me. However, Skarsgard's take on Pennywise in this was very haunting and chilling. I'm a bit upset they relied on CGI for him as often as they did (particularly in the shape shifting and the appearance of his massive fangs) because he was selling the scares so well on his own without having to incorporate computer manipulation.

EDIT: Funko is releasing a Pennywise/Georgie toy set:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3464824/funkos-pennywise-georgie-vynl-set-will-soon-float-collection/

John Carpenter reveals he has made a deal to officially score Halloween next year:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3464800/john-carpenter-reveals-hes-made-deal-score-next-years-halloween/

Also, the writers of the canned sequel to the Friday the 13th reboot unveil a few pages from the script, including a kill we've never seen in the series before: