The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The knock-on effect of the collapse of the Weinstein co. and the horror film rights it holds, is kicking in:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3466837/horror-franchises-impacted-potential-weinstein-company-collapse/#disqus_thread

Given how far it has fallen, Hellraiser either needs to be restated from scratch, or left well alone. With not one, but two ashcan films to its name, I doubt the reputation could be salvaged otherwise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    To be fair, most of these franchises have been dead/forgotten about for quite some time. I thought there were some rumblings of Clive Barker helming another Hellraiser? To think what this series could return to if they put some proper TLC into the series instead of making those last-second dumpster fires that allow them to retain the rights.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    To be fair, most of these franchises have been dead/forgotten about for quite some time. I thought there were some rumblings of Clive Barker helming another Hellraiser? To think what this series could return to if they put some proper TLC into the series instead of making those last-second dumpster fires that allow them to retain the rights.

For a while, there was talk of Clive Barker helming a remake/reboot. But talk has gone very quiet on that lately.

For a while, there was talk of Clive Barker helming a remake/reboot. But talk has gone very quiet on that lately.

I'm sure it's long dead by this point. Shame, too, as I wouldn't be much more optimistic for a new film in the series than I am with Barker helming it.
    And just like that - first look at Paul T. Taylor in Hellraiser: Judgment:

DM9Fn6ZU8AAWCk8.jpg
    As I understand it, the screenplay for Judgement, is the first since Bloodlines that was always intended to be a Hellraiser film, rather than being written as a different film, then turned into a Hellraiser. I'm not saying that Judgement is going to be a good film, as it is still a film that needs to be made, rather than a film that is wanted.

I have still not not witnessed the horror that is Revelations, for myself. Usually when a film is generally disliked, someone will say that they liked the film for this reason or that. With Revelations, everything I have heard about it has been extremely negative.
    I will say that actor looks much better as Pinhead than the one from Revelations, which is a positive. Looks pretty similar to Doug Bradley, actually.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

DM9Fn6ZU8AAWCk8.jpg
    Acupuncture works wonders.

@Thunderfinger, it does wonders for the soul, it would seem.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,473
    Jamie Lee Curtis teases Halloween:

DNew1NvVwAERpnK.jpg

Also, it seems Zac Efron has joined the cast.

https://t.co/gtAL6aOJig
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They're really channeling the original, which is cool (is Michael lying there supposed to be him at the end of the first film before disappearing?). Good to see Efron in the cast too; he's coming into his own.
    They're really channeling the original, which is cool (is Michael lying there supposed to be him at the end of the first film before disappearing?). Good to see Efron in the cast too; he's coming into his own.

I believe so, as that's the same shirt/cut she dons at the end. Pretty cool for them to set up for some random Halloween photos like that.
    02.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    02.jpg

Wouldn't the mummies be riding camels anyway? Even more unsuitable for westerns, one could argue. ;)
    Watched a lot of great horror movies in October this year, including:

-Psycho
    -The Exorcist
    -Halloween
    -Jaws
    -A Nightmare on Elm Street
    -The Shining
    -Scream
    -The Silence of the Lambs
    -It Follows
    -Alien
    -Poltergeist

and for the first time...
    -Rosemary's Baby
    -Christine
    -Carrie
    -The Dead Zone
    -The Fly
    -An American Werewolf in London

Some absolutely great stuff. The new ones I saw all impressed me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @FoxRox

IT FOLLOWS is a very good horror film indeed. I'm glad you enjoy it!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @FoxRox

IT FOLLOWS is a very good horror film indeed. I'm glad you enjoy it!

Oh yeah - I like that one a lot. The Dead Zone and The Fly in particular became two of my favorite new ones.
    wumo595e35fb2744c1.72386154.jpg
  • I’m sure some of you have seen this image floating around as of late (as well a my Facebook friends ;) )
    This is the original Myers mask used in the 1978 Halloween, as it looks today!
    It managed to go from creepy to freaking horrifying !!

michael-mask.jpg&c=sc&w=500&h=666

I actually think the Halloween reboot coming next year should draw on how the mask looks now. The idea that Michael kept the same mask and it slowly decayed over the 40 years since H1 and now is cool, not to mention the way the mask looks is super creepy. I hope someone involved sees this and considers using it when designing the new mask.
    Figured she'd be way too big for the role now, but Jessica Chastain is interested in starring in IT 2 as the adult Beverly:

http://www.slashfilm.com/jessica-chastain-wants-to-join-the-it-2-cast/#more-450009
    Figured she'd be way too big for the role now, but Jessica Chastain is interested in starring in IT 2 as the adult Beverly:

http://www.slashfilm.com/jessica-chastain-wants-to-join-the-it-2-cast/#more-450009

It would be a logical, good choice if she does star as adult Beverly. I will definitely be wanting to see that movie as soon as it comes out, since I loved the first one so much.
    The Night Of The Seagulls (AKA The Blind Dead IV AKA my favourite film of the four Blind Dead films) is coming to BR:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3468983/scream-factory-releasing-1975-spanish-horror-film-night-seagulls/

I already have the Anchor Bay 4 film, 5 disc DVD set from a few years ago, but anything that would cause more people to check out this unique slice of 70's Eurohorror (and the other 3 films) can only be a good thing. They deserve to be seen as more than just Spanish knock-offs of Romero's '... of The Dead' films
    Halloween reboot will ignore all the sequels, and will exist as if the original had ended in a slightly different way:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3469733/danny-mcbride-explains-halloween-plot-details-first-halloween-ended-different-way/

McBride also confirms that just because he and Green wrote it together (known for their comedic pairings, particularly HBO's Vice Principals), it won't be a laugh riot throughout. He said maybe one joke made the script, and it'll be a horror film through and through.
    Okay...don't know what to make of the comments that they are treating it as if the first film ended in an alternate way. I mean, Michael is shot but obviously escapes to the horror of everyone alive. What else needs to be said? The reboot could easily follow off that.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that they are not only avoiding comedy, but are also making Laurie's role a big deal and gave Jamie some real meat. And I'm sure that the reason the second film isn't being followed, at least partially, is so that the brother/sister idea is scrapped so that should make people happy.
    Okay...don't know what to make of the comments that they are treating it as if the first film ended in an alternate way. I mean, Michael is shot but obviously escapes to the horror of everyone alive. What else needs to be said? The reboot could easily follow off that.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that they are not only avoiding comedy, but are also making Laurie's role a big deal and gave Jamie some real meat. And I'm sure that the reason the second film isn't being followed, at least partially, is so that the brother/sister idea is scrapped so that should make people happy.

Not sure how I feel about this listed "tweaking" of sorts, as I originally thought it'd work off the first two films, then only the first, and now they're sort of retconning the ending of the first with this new one. Still trying to remain optimistic, though!

Not sure how I feel about this listed "tweaking" of sorts, as I originally thought it'd work off the first two films, then only the first, and now they're sort of retconning the ending of the first with this new one. Still trying to remain optimistic, though!

Yeah, at this point I don't know what to expect and almost want them to just stop talking about it and make the film. Then we'll see later what it's all about. I just hope it's damn good and worthy of all this.
    You and I both. The way they're describing it sounds like it could be an incredible installment into the series, but we'll have to wait and see. Like I've said before, can't be worse than Zombie's attempts.
    @Creasy47, I'm most interested to see if this will truly be the last Halloween film. The sequels are joked about (as are most horror sequels) and there's always a question of how much longer it can go on, but if true that actually makes me feel bittersweet. If the series goes out strong that's great, but it'd also feel weird knowing that Michael Myers would never appear in another film ever again.
    If they are going the route of "what if Halloween ended this way", then why not cast Danielle Harris as Jamie?
    If they are going the route of "what if Halloween ended this way", then why not cast Danielle Harris as Jamie?

She's apparently bummed, too, that she won't be appearing.