The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

I wouldn't restrict the best horror films to pre-2000. Every decade of horror has its ups (and downs).

It Follows, Get Out, and It at least would all make my all-time favorites list. But still, I think the majority of the very best horror films came out before 2000 - the big legends, like The Shining, The Exorcist, Jaws, Halloween, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I wouldn't restrict the best horror films to pre-2000. Every decade of horror has its ups (and downs).

It Follows, Get Out, and It at least would all make my all-time favorites list. But still, I think the majority of the very best horror films came out before 2000 - the big legends, like The Shining, The Exorcist, Jaws, Halloween, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

My all time would a mixed bag of decades. I don't know if I would put anything for this decade in a high scoring place. But I could certainly see films from the 2000's, 1990's, 1980's, 1970's, 1960's and further back, to the 1930's, taking up the higher places.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Are there any movies out there you lot would consider horror, even though it's not the first genre that may come to mind? For instance, I've always liked to classify 'The Terminator' as a horror movie, in a way.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Are there any movies out there you lot would consider horror, even though it's not the first genre that may come to mind? For instance, I've always liked to classify 'The Terminator' as a horror movie, in a way.

That makes sense. What about Eraserhead? Maybe horror is the best classification for it actually haha
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I loved Get Out, probably my favourite film from this year, but I'm not sure I'd class it as horror. Good shout on It Follows though @FoxRox, love that film.

My favourites from this decade would probably be Insidious, the Conjuring movies, It Follows and Kill List (that's another one that's difficult to put in one genre but I think of it as a horror film). I think the last few years have actually been quite good for horror films. Lot of crap but that's to be expected because they're cheap and popular, and we have had some real gems. I'm seeing IT tomorrow night and I can't wait.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

If you reverse the idea, then I have a film. Psycho, a film that is often considered a horror film, but I think it is more of a psychological thriller.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Not a film so sort of cheating but I always thought Red Dead Redemption (the main game, obviously undead nightmare is horror) had some horror undertones. The ghost town, the bleak overcast deserts, the side quest with the man in black (especially when you get to the end and realise he foreshadowed it). Really creepy atmosphere at times.

And there's a few films that may not be horror films but which I find really unnerving to think about being in that scenario. Like 12 Years a Slave for example.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I agree, in addition to sci-fi, I class Terminator equally as both horror and romance. Though most wouldn't call it either.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,813

That reminds me of a funny thing my dad did once. It was 1994, and all horror movies were half off to rent because Halloween was right around the corner. My dad tried to get Schindler's List, as the VHS had just recently come out. And his excuse was 'but this was real life horror!'.
    I was only 11, but I remember the young girl at the counter like 'ummmmm the register won't let me'

As for your question, I totally agree on Terminator! I wish they kept that theme, instead of gradually turning into a freaking comedy....

I'll have to think of some others-- good question!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,270
    One very underrated horror film I'd like to give a shoutout to is Magic (1978) - starring Anthony Hopkins. Really liked that one, and it is never mentioned among good horror movies.
    One very underrated horror film I'd like to give a shoutout to is Magic (1978) - starring Anthony Hopkins. Really liked that one, and it is never mentioned among good horror movies.

Can't say I've ever even heard of it; going to have to check it out, especially if Hopkins is in it!

Can't say I've ever even heard of it; going to have to check it out, especially if Hopkins is in it!

I hadn't heard of it until a few months ago when I first saw it. Not sure why it's so unknown!
  • FoxRox wrote: »

I hadn't heard of it until a few months ago when I first saw it. Not sure why it's so unknown!

I've heard of this film before: young Anthony Hopkins, ventriloquism, and horror. Sounds like a movie that might genuinely creep me out. I think I'll have to find this one for my annual October horrorathon. I always try to find a good handful of promising horror films I've never seen before.
    I'm jumping the gun and watching some I haven't seen before this month haha. I'll at least be watching some of my all-time favorites next month - The Shining, Halloween, Jaws, and Psycho to name some. Last year I watched one horror film a day in October, but this year I'm splitting it up between September and October.
  • Well technically my horror film viewing never ends, and usually starts ramping up around April, haha. But October puts me into concentrated overdrive.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,477
    I've really been itching to watch some of my horror favorites lately on this new TV, but trying to remain patient and save them for October. This double bill of the first two 'Halloween' installments is calling my name.
    The first Halloween has always been a favorite of mine. How is the second? I purposefully avoided most of the sequels since horror movie sequels usually are pretty bad.
    The first Halloween has always been a favorite of mine. How is the second? I purposefully avoided most of the sequels since horror movie sequels usually are pretty bad.

The first and its hospital-set sequel are the only two I like - the few that came after have some enjoyable bits here and there, but none were at the level of quality that the first two had for me. Incredibly eager for this new one, because the way they've been selling it describes a perfect new installment, in my opinion.

The first and its hospital-set sequel are the only two I like - the few that came after have some enjoyable bits here and there, but none were at the level of quality that the first two had for me. Incredibly eager for this new one, because the way they've been selling it describes a perfect new installment, in my opinion.

Yeah I did hear about the new one. I'm really hoping they do a good job! Anyway I will be watching a lot of horror over here for the next couple months. If you all can believe it I've never seen the original Night of the Living Dead (1968), so I should probably go for that one soon.

Yeah I did hear about the new one. I'm really hoping they do a good job! Anyway I will be watching a lot of horror over here for the next couple months. If you all can believe it I've never seen the original Night of the Living Dead (1968), so I should probably go for that one soon.

I think that was the first zombie film I ever saw - beautiful introduction to the genre, no doubt. Stuck with me for weeks as a kid, eventually had to check out the remake. Been so long since I've seen either of them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am ashamed to say I never saw a Christopher Lee Dracula film.
    I am ashamed to say I never saw a Christopher Lee Dracula film.

Nor I, sadly. Ashamed to say there are countless classic horror films I've never once seen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Being a huge fan of both Dracula and Lee it is a double shame.
    I did about a year ago. Pretty decent film.
  • Yeah, Lee's original Dracula isn't the greatest, but it's a decent old school Hammer film. Worth watching certainly for the hardcore Dracula enthusiast.

Night of the Living Dead is a must see, @FoxRox. Definitely get that in this October, and follow it up with Romero's Dawn and Day of the Dead while you're at it.

The Halloween double bill is a real treat. I did those two back to back last year. Halloween II continues the story of the first film, picking up immediately after and making it one long terrible night. Although Carpenter didn't receive directorial credit, his creative influence is all over the film. It really feels like a Carpenter film. The first one is still the stronger of the two, but the second by far has more creative kills.
    I was interested in checking out Carpenter's The Fog as well.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I was interested in checking out Carpenter's The Fog as well.

One of my personal all time favorites. The music and the atmosphere in that film is incredible. Definitely get it in next month.
    Nice! That's good! Last year I got to experience a lot of classics for the first time but it seems I am still missing a few.
    Lee is my 4th favourite Dracula after Lugosi, Kinski and Palance (those three switch around), but they have a distinctive style that is consistent through most of the 9 films. With the last 3 films, Hammer got experimental, and it worked for the 2 two of the 3.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,270
    My Top 5 Horror Movies ever would be:

1. The Shining
    2. Jaws
    3. Halloween
    4. Psycho
    5. The Thing

Out of order, some of my other favorite horror films:
    6. Alien
    7. Scream
    8. A Nightmare on Elm Street
    9. The Silence of the Lambs
    10. The Sixth Sense
    11. Repulsion
    12. Eraserhead
    13. The Exorcist
    14. It Follows
    15. Get Out
    16. It (2017)
    17. The Ring
    18. The Others
    19. Poltergeist
    20. Insidious
    21. The Birds
    22. Cape Fear (both versions)
    23. Night of the Hunter (if it counts; I'm unsure myself on that one)
    24. Magic
    25. Mama
    26. Red Eye
    27. Misery
    28. Secret Window
    29. Shutter Island
    30. Sleepy Hollow

Anyone else got a big ol' list of favorites? I'd love to have new recommendations!