The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,490
    The CGI was a little much, unfortunately CGI wasn't the worst of that films problems. With a little re-writing they could have avoided the elephant sized plot hole surrounding Heather.

What was the plot hole again? I honestly remember so little from it - tried to wipe it from memory, it was pretty terrible, particularly the twist ending.

EDIT: Anywhere in here had a chance to see 'The Void' yet? Realized it was on Netflix, fired it up a bit ago and it just ended and I was very impressed by it. Been pining for a practical effects-driven horror movie akin to Carpenter's 'The Thing' for a while now. Kudos to those involved.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The CGI was a little much, unfortunately CGI wasn't the worst of that films problems. With a little re-writing they could have avoided the elephant sized plot hole surrounding Heather.

What was the plot hole again? I honestly remember so little from it - tried to wipe it from memory, it was pretty terrible, particularly the twist ending.

Texas Chainsaw 3D is set right after the events of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Heather is supposed to have been born that same year (1973). Alexandra Daddario, through no fault of her own, just does not look old enough.
    Andy Muschietti confirms he will return for 'IT: Part Two':

http://collider.com/it-part-2-director-andy-muschietti/
  • I had no idea It was only going to be the first half of the book. That's interesting. I might not need to power through the entire 1,000+ pages before the film then.
    I had no idea It was only going to be the first half of the book. That's interesting. I might not need to power through the entire 1,000+ pages before the film then.

The first film focuses on them as kids, with the second film focusing on their return as adults. Should be good! Really excited for this first part.
  • Yeah me too. That does sound a good idea, splitting up the story, and I like that they have that kid from Stranger Things in it. Apart from hopefully getting the book read first, I'd like to go in knowing as little as I can. And it seems like, apart from a little jumping around, the book itself mostly focuses on the kids in the first half.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    1st trailer for Jigsaw:

1st trailer for Jigsaw:

This does look awesome!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had hoped for a little "Saw" Theme in the music but ah! I'm so there.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,490
    I'll definitely give it a watch! Looks much better than I had anticipated.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2017 Posts: 5,869
    They've announced the new theme for the American Horror Story. I've put it in spoiler tags in case people want it to be a surprise :D

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A third Jeepers Creepers will be directed this September? Wow, I'm surprised. That first film, starring one of my favourite comedic actors, Justin Long, really scared me back in the day. I went to see the second one in theatres, during a horror marathon of Freddy vs Jason, Wrong Turn and Jeepers Creepers 2. Lovely program. I've been longing for another JC since, well yeah, since 2003. No matter how controversial the director.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Though they can be expensive (see: are expensive), I prefer 1:6 figures.
    I own neither, but my preference would side with those 1:6 figures. As you said, though, I can never seem to justify shelling out that kind of money for one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Pants will be shat.

I know the original was considered untouchable, but I watched it recently and it does not hold up well....
    I know, blasphemy. snack.gif
    Pennywise looks sinister as ****, but I still feel cold towards this. The original was ok, but I don't feel that we needed to go there again.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,422
    Surely scary clowns are so 2016? I never really got clowns - not fun, not scary. C'est la vie

I finally saw Resident Evil: The Final Chapter last weekend. I had to wait for it to "drop" on DVD. (Isn't that what the cool kids are saying?)

Most disappointed over the lovely Milla's outfits. Not one PVC catsuit...

Alice and the evil Dr. Issacs go head to head for one last time in Racoon City. Overall I enjoyed it. It's always good to revisit the R.E universe. A few twists as well (in the story). I appreciate the gritty leanness of this film. A much more stripped back feel to it.

A worthy conclusion to the saga. A female led saga at that.
    Bit disappointed in Wesker's death though

RE Ranking -

RE: Retribution (2012)
    RE: Extinction (2007)
    RE: Final Chapter (2016)
    Resident Evil (2002)
    RE: Afterlife (2010)
    RE: Apocalypse (2004)
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,271

I'm hopeful this will be a modern horror classic.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Could go either way, but it looks better than at least two of the previous films.
    009.jpg
    010.jpg
    Creasy47 wrote: »

So this is a prequel to the ORIGINAL right? Not to be confused with the prequel to the remake, even though the most recent one was a sequel to the original.

AustinPowersCrossEyed.png
    Yes, this new one is a prequel to the original film.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,333
    This might sound like sacrilege, even heresy, to some horror fans here, but I honestly can't abide all these continuations and serializations of horror movies. That sadly includes Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Michael Myers, Norman Bates, Jigsaw and now that bloody plastic doll Annabelle. A proper horror movie should be able to stand alone on its own two feet without the need for a follow up story or indeed a sequel. Best examples would be the original Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Haunting, Black Christmas, Carrie, Legend of Hell House, even Se7en. What made all these unique was that it wasn't necessary for there to be an indestructible larger-than-life figure masquerading in some fancy costume or other, that would need to keep coming back to life for the continued ring of cash tills, all so that the pockets of greedy and unimaginative producers could be lined even further.

Okay, I did happen see Psycho 2, which of course wasn't directed by the Master of Suspense himself, nor was it even based on Robert Bloch's own second book, and which was clearly a belated cash-in due to the rising popularity of horror in the Eighties. It was ok, but nowhere near as good as the original. There are the occasional exceptions where a sequel is better than the original, but those tend to be few and far between.

Horror should instill an overwhelming and intense feeling of fear or dread in the viewer. Sorry, but this just can't happen in a franchise horror movie, especially when we're expected to keep coming back already aware that the only reason that the victims are so dumb and the villain so overly smart is to keep the cash cow breathing. Also the repetitive trick, in modern horror, of using silence then a sudden explosion of music as a jump-scare tactic is wearing ever so thin. It's so easy to predict nowadays that I don't even raise an eyebrow nevermind a hair on the back of my neck when it happens. That's my main problem with modern horror, it's all so easy to predict what's going to happen next it no longer scares, that is, unless you're a person of a nervous disposition.

Sorry guys, I just prefer my horror movies to be one-offs, without the need for a sequel.

The new IT looks good though. I'll go check that out for sure.