The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 4,813
    It always makes me laugh how a movie series can get so bonkers that the only way to go forward is to get back to basics! It reminds me of Moonraker or Die Another Day, and the vastly different movies that followed them.

A Halloween that's as you said, straight-up, classic slasher/ horror, can't go wrong in my book!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I hope for Halloween fans, that the new film makes it into production.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Given our luck with 'Friday the 13th,' we'll be weeks from filming before it gets scrapped. I still hope that series returns sooner rather than later.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Given our luck with 'Friday the 13th,' we'll be weeks from filming before it gets scrapped. I still hope that series returns sooner rather than later.

If they were stupid enough to put F13 on ice because Rings under performed, then paramount doesn't deserve to have the F13 (even if they were the original home of the series) film. New Line get the series, again, in 2018. Hopefully stupidity isn't contagious.
    Oh, this should be fantastic: a documentary about the two-part 'IT' miniseries is now in the works, which will largely focus on the work of Tim Curry and the cast involved. Tim and roughly 20 cast members from the miniseries have already confirmed their participation in the upcoming documentary:

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/news/851303-pennywise-documentary-lurches-to-life

An IndieGogo page has been set up for it, as well:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pennywise-the-story-of-it-documentary#/
    'The Conjuring' "universe" receives another spin-off in the form of 'The Crooked Man,' one of the villainous entities from the sequel:

http://collider.com/the-crooked-man-movie-conjuring-spinoff/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I always felt that Crooked Man looks a lot like Freddy Krueger. :)
    It's Father's Day! And I've got my cake!

original-1.jpg

Bedelia!! Yooooooooooou bitch!
    Nothing remotely unexpected, but 'IT' has now received an official R rating.
    A series order for a 'Tremors' TV show on Syfy, with Kevin Bacon returning in the role of his original character, is happening:

http://collider.com/tremors-tv-series-kevin-bacon-syfy/

I think I would've preferred it if it wasn't a TV series (or at least on Syfy - can't say I've ever seen a lot of good quality fare come from them).
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Wasn't the previous tremors tv series on Sfyfy as well? I think it was. I have never forgiven Syfy for cancelling Eureka. I know that there is a 6th Tremors film on the way. So long as Michael Gross is involved as Burt Gummer, i'll keep watching.

aa915c160270b44823ce751c91711d30f512de4396d4048f12d5aa1404ec5079.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just saw 'The Mummy'. Interesting take on the myth, loved the "zombies" and the way they were created :) Still not as good as the original 'The Mummy' films but a good attempt at introducing it to a new audience. Looking forward to more films from the 'Dark Universe' :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Just saw 'The Mummy'. Interesting take on the myth, loved the "zombies" and the way they were created :) Still not as good as the original 'The Mummy' films but a good attempt at introducing it to a new audience. Looking forward to more films from the 'Dark Universe' :)

I was really interested in The Mummy, until I saw the trailer. Too much action, not enough horror, that is the impression I get.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I saw it, it's not as bad as people make out. Quite entertaining, if a little exposition-y. But the Major is right - not enough horror.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I was a little worried that the involvement of Jennifer Tilly meant that CULT would be more like BRIDE/SEED, but no, it most definitely looks in line with the original and CURSE.

Though I must ask the question: how can a series continue on straight to DVD sequels, and one that still is a theatrical series can't release a new film?
    Speaking of Syfy, they'll be doing a 'Deep Blue Sea' sequel:

http://www.slashfilm.com/deep-blue-sea-sequel-coming-to-the-syfy-channel/
    I was going to ask "Why?", but that is the channel that has given us the likes of the Sharknado films.

It also turns out that Cult Of Chucky will get a theatrical release, it's going to be one of the opening films at this years Frightfest.

http://www.frightfest.co.uk/2017films/frightfest-2017-film-schedule.html

The 10th anniversary/uncut screening of the first Hatchet also interests me. The cut that widely exists is ott, which was then topped (and then some!) but the second film.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,844
    As someone who loves Deep Blue Sea with all the love one could hold for the guiltiest of pleasures, I have no faith in this SyFy Channel "sequel." What made the original so awesome was the cast (Thomas Jane, Saffron Burrows, Samuel L. Jackson, Stellan Skarsgård, etc.), the fantastic electric guitar-driven music by Trevor Rabin, and the inventive Hollywood blockbuster caliber action sequences (despite the occasionally iffy shark effects; most of the time the sharks were done very realistically, however).

This new "sequel" will have none of that. It'll be Sharknado 4 or 5 or 6 or whatever they're on with the Deep Blue Sea name slapped on it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st poster for Jigsaw (aka Saw 8):

DEJorqgUMAA_yLr.jpg
    Ow I'm so there. Huge fan of the SAW series.
    my top 5 horror films

1. Jaws
    2. Halloween
    3. Stigmata
    4. Blade
    5. Identity

I am not big into horror but I do enjoy it every once and a while.

I will check out the new Halloween and I will check out deep blue sea 2 I guess.
    A fan of STIGMATA, @Risico007? I remember being urged to go and see that film in theatres by a guy in school. He called it the scariest thing he'd ever seen. Well, I sure came back disappointed, for I hadn't been scared at all. But, to be frank, I found other things in the film to appreciate and so it certainly is a film I go back to occasionally.
    yes I actually enjoy it and it's probably the only possession film I can see without being scared (sorry possession kind of freaks me out) but over all the film is fantastic again not a fan of horror films usually but I enjoy it
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,468
    First image from 'Jigsaw':

jigsaw-image.jpg

Images and concept art from 'IT':

http://collider.com/it-movie-images-concept-art/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    6a00d8341c5f3053ef01b8d16a88ee970c-800wi
    'The Predator' is neither a sequel nor a reboot:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3446946/predator-isnt-sequel-reboot/
    Was wondering when this would drop, I feel like we got a trailer or something for this a while back, so it's about time. Going to give it a viewing here in a second.

EDIT: Well, I had no clue what to expect, and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't the best the series has looked in almost a decade and a half. I'll definitely give it a watch. No way it's as horrible as the CG-blood-splattered installment from a few years back.
    The CGI was a little much, unfortunately CGI wasn't the worst of that films problems. With a little re-writing they could have avoided the elephant sized plot hole surrounding Heather.