The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's a great moment. One of my favorites is the final moment with the first group of campers, with that lingering shot of him sprinting up to Whitney, who is crawling backwards as fast as she can, and the shot cuts the split-second before his machete swing reachers her head.

Oh yes, the shot they used in one of the trailers. It was such a ferocious moment, that despite already being shown, it's impact wasn't diminished.
    I really hope something pans out and gets us a new installment in the next couple of years. Meanwhile, I wonder what sort of progress they're making on the new 'Halloween' film, which I'm very intrigued by.

Stay optimistic, @Creasy47. The fact that a Friday The 13th game was made possible with a kickstarter, must show that there is still an audience for Jason.

Even though my loyalty is to the F13 films, I would like to see Halloween continue with the original timeline, and the same goes for A Nightmare On Elm Street. Horror films are being made all the time, some go theatrical, others don't. Yet the 3 biggest horror series, each with an in built audience of their own, are struggling to get new films made. What is going on?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My question exactly. Surely there's still a big audience for these movies, so what's the hold up these days?

The last I heard regarding 'Halloween,' it was going to be a sequel that picked up moments/hours after the second installment ended, and would be heavily grounded in the scares/thrills department, which immediately makes me think of the first two movies, and creates a lot of optimism on my end.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    My question exactly. Surely there's still a big audience for these movies, so what's the hold up these days?

The last I heard regarding 'Halloween,' it was going to be a sequel that picked up moments/hours after the second installment ended, and would be heavily grounded in the scares/thrills department, which immediately makes me think of the first two movies, and creates a lot of optimism on my end.

If I remember right, wasn't it going to be set in a prison like facility? Myers was due to be executed, but something goes wrong, and he escapes causing the facility to be thrown into a lockdown. I think Sheriff Brackett was supposed to make a return as well.

If I remember right, wasn't it going to be set in a prison like facility? Myers was due to be executed, but something goes wrong, and he escapes causing the facility to be thrown into a lockdown. I think Sheriff Brackett was supposed to make a return as well.

I think that was the earlier idea they had, before there was a shakeup of those involved and Danny McBride and his buddy were set to write/produce, with his friend also directing.
    I'd rather that they just go back to either the old timeline or create a new, less-defined one and stick with that rather than trying to tack on a story to the end of Zombie's take on the franchise.

Zombie had his say on Halloween and it should be left at that. Now, I'll admit to really enjoying his Halloween II while I know that virtually nobody else did, but regardless, it really cheapens that film, and especially its ending, if they were to make a third film, regardless of whatever direction they ultimately decided to take it in. That ending was definitive and it should be left that way, IMO.
    @dalton, I think you're mixed up, as this new film will work off the ending of the original 'Halloween 2,' and it'll have nothing to do with the garbage that Zombie put out.
    @dalton, I think you're mixed up, as this new film will work off the ending of the original 'Halloween 2,' and it'll have nothing to do with the garbage that Zombie put out.

Oh, I thought you guys were talking about the original plans to jump off of the end of Zombie's Halloween II, which was, from what I read, the plan for quite a while until just most recently. My mistake.

I do agree that it shouldn't have anything to do with Zombie's films, although I'd disagree that they were garbage. ;) :D
    Given that John Carpenter is returning to the series, i'm a little surprised that he is going to follow on from part 2, rather than the original film, given how he has spoken about having some regrets with some of the decisions he made regarding the first sequel.
    I'm really hoping Carpenter can deliver some magic once again for this - we just might get the best installment in the last thirty years if everything comes together just right with this one.
    A tonal reboot, like Curse Of Chucky, might be just what the series needs.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3434466/check-stat-screens-every-playable-jason-friday-13th-game/

That confirms Jason from pt 2, 3, Jason Lives, Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes To Hell and the Tom Savini Hellish Jason (+ possibly one other unseen Jason). No 2009 Jason?
    I wonder why certain Jason variants were omitted, such as 'The Final Chapter.' Either way, I can't wait to see what the single player is like for this, and hopefully I can find one or two people I know to pick this up and enjoy the multiplayer with. I have a feeling it'll play like a slower-paced, less-frenetic version of 'Left 4 Dead,' which would be incredible.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    If I had to guess, I would say that The Final Chapter Jason looks a lot like that of pt 3. Unless they did a battle damaged version to distinguish it from pt 3, just like the NECA toys figures.
    That's what I was thinking, it looks similar but they could've included the mask that has the axe damage at the top of it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I watched the first teaser for it and it perfectly whet my appetite. Want to watch it knowing as little as possible.
    The sequel we need ;)

18199315_10101297884805621_933125653249747614_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=71e781fb40550772751f804c99980ad5&oe=59B5F945
    Nice one! In all seriousness though, I wish they'd let Halloween die. The first is amazing and an all-time classic, but it kept getting worse, and I especially hated Rob Zombie's films.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nice one! In all seriousness though, I wish they'd let Halloween die. The first is amazing and an all-time classic, but it kept getting worse, and I especially hated Rob Zombie's films.

I have hopes with this new one. The Zombie films were definitely terrible (the second was even worse than the first), but the way McBride is speaking about this new one, it's checking off everything on my list that I'd love to see return to the series.
    Getting John Carpenter back bodes well. Though I would be curious to see the next film pick up X years after Resurrection rather than X years after the first film.
    Getting John Carpenter back bodes well. Though I would be curious to see the next film pick up X years after Resurrection rather than X years after the first film.

I thought it was taking place a few hours/days after the events of the second film? I guess either way, the first two take place in a 48 hour period.

I thought it was taking place a few hours/days after the events of the second film? I guess either way, the first two take place in a 48 hour period.

The Dunstan/Melton screenplay is a sequel to the original film, but set in the present day. Though given as that screenplay is supposedly dated 2015, they might be working from a tweaked screenplay.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/halloween-reboot/#more-417733

McBride mentions they're in the midst of hammering out the script, hoping to start shooting this fall so they can have it out for the 40th Anniversary of the original next year. Says he doesn't want a "supernatural" Michael Myers, either, which is good.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894
    So it will be a sequel to the first film, set in 2018 and jettisoning the brother-sister angle from Halloween II, and rolling back on the gore, for a more tense film? It actually doesn't sound half bad, but does this series really need a new timeline? I would rather they just take a page from Curse of Chucky, and make a sequel that is also tonal reboot. Make the new film a sequel to Halloween: Resurrection, set in 2018, but try and capture the essence of the original. Halloween could do that, Friday The 13th can't, thanks to Jason X painting the original timeline into a corner. Had they not dated the events of Jason X, then they could have gotten away with saying that the opening of the film happens 20 odd years into the future. That way, they have a large gap following Jason Goes To Hell, in which to place a number of films.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,473
    The first 'Halloween' poster keeps it minimalist:

halloween-promo-poster-450x600.jpg

halloween-promo-poster-image1-450x600.jpg

I'm getting more and more excited for this. Like the article says, it really does feel like they're going for a simple, straight-up, classic slasher/horror feel for this. Nothing convoluted or over the top.
    I hope they do well. Carpenter's original is one of my all-time favorite horror films.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I hope they do well. Carpenter's original is one of my all-time favorite horror films.

I always go back and forth between that and Carpenter's 'The Thing' being my #1 favorite horror film.
    My Top 5 Horror Films are:

1. The Shining
    2. Jaws
    3. Halloween
    4. The Thing
    5. Psycho

Carpenter's Halloween and The Thing are both pure, horror excellence. Honorable mentions from me include Alien, The Exorcist, The Silence of the Lambs, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, Repulsion, The Ring, and It Follows. I could list more but those are my favorites.
    'Jaws' is in my Top 5 as well, 'The Silence of the Lambs' would likely be on there, too. 'Alien' is Top 3, that's another one I'm always moving in my ranking between first through third.