No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I feel wiser though. The Guardian perfectly sums up why Denis Villeneuve would be a good choice to direct the next Bond film. I would like to add that this would also make the producers and Daniel Craig happy, which could be a good thing for the overall atmosphere on set.

Add to that Villeneuve's orgasmic remarks from this week, and you shouldn't be surprised that EON is able to succesfully kidnap the man ;-):
    I can’t comment on that,” says Villeneuve. “I know they are talking to a lot of directors.” To take on such a challenge, of course, he would have to succumb to commercial formula for the first time in his career. But it’s a prospect that clearly tempts him. “The thing is, Bond is an old, old wet dream for me,” he admits. “How can you describe it otherwise? It would be an opportunity to approach filmmaking in a pure, playful way. It would be like playing with massive toys. But it all depends on the schedule.

Still, let'ss not forget that a good Bond film always starts with a damn good story. I am longing for the days when the actual screenplay writers get applauded tremendously by the Academy and get an Oscar nomination for that. I think it would be beneficial for the overall finalized product.

Problem for the Academy side is not that the screenplay is not good or the movie is not Oscar-worthy, but that, a part from some very little exeptions, they don't take action films in account.

Well, we have the Critics Choise Awards and People's Choice Awards for that no? Also, if action movies are being taken into account full-blown, then what's next? Nominating "Furious 8"? The way I see it is this: You have the critics, Academy members and press.........and you have the people.

Sad thing however is the fact that nowadays critics, media, reviewers, press, the Academy, writers and news outlets....are being treated like dirt. As if every human being on this planet really knows everything, and the 'media' knows nothing. Which by default is not true.

So I don't see the problem really.

Not bashing on the media, I don't give a damn about it.
    Just saying that a good movie is a good movie, a good original screenplay is a good original screenplay, and a good adaptation is a good adaption, regardless of the movie genre.
    And sincerely I don't see anyone treating the movie industry (and what revolves around it) as dirt. Perhaps it is the opposite.

I feel wiser though. The Guardian perfectly sums up why Denis Villeneuve would be a good choice to direct the next Bond film. I would like to add that this would also make the producers and Daniel Craig happy, which could be a good thing for the overall atmosphere on set.

Add to that Villeneuve's orgasmic remarks from this week, and you shouldn't be surprised that EON is able to succesfully kidnap the man ;-):
    I can’t comment on that,” says Villeneuve. “I know they are talking to a lot of directors.” To take on such a challenge, of course, he would have to succumb to commercial formula for the first time in his career. But it’s a prospect that clearly tempts him. “The thing is, Bond is an old, old wet dream for me,” he admits. “How can you describe it otherwise? It would be an opportunity to approach filmmaking in a pure, playful way. It would be like playing with massive toys. But it all depends on the schedule.

Still, let'ss not forget that a good Bond film always starts with a damn good story. I am longing for the days when the actual screenplay writers get applauded tremendously by the Academy and get an Oscar nomination for that. I think it would be beneficial for the overall finalized product.

Problem for the Academy side is not that the screenplay is not good or the movie is not Oscar-worthy, but that, a part from some very little exeptions, they don't take action films in account.

Well, we have the Critics Choise Awards and People's Choice Awards for that no? Also, if action movies are being taken into account full-blown, then what's next? Nominating "Furious 8"? The way I see it is this: You have the critics, Academy members and press.........and you have the people.

Sad thing however is the fact that nowadays critics, media, reviewers, press, the Academy, writers and news outlets....are being treated like dirt. As if every human being on this planet really knows everything, and the 'media' knows nothing. Which by default is not true.

Just saying that a good movie is a good movie, a good original screenplay is a good original screenplay, and a good adaptation is a good adaption, regardless of the movie genre.
    And sincerely I don't see anyone treating the movie industry (and what revolves around it) as dirt. Perhaps it is the opposite.

I have to say.....I fully agree with you on that one. Bond #25 therefore needs a terrific story first! :-)
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

I have to say.....I fully agree with you on that one. Bond #25 therefore needs a terrific story first! :-)

Of Course! And we all hope it will be so freaking good that he will get plenty of nominations, regardless of the fact that is a 007 movie :)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    If this will indeed be Craig's last outing as Bond, I'm going to try my hardest NOT to watch the trailers/previews before the film is released. I would love to go in to this one truly surprised.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    If this will indeed be Craig's last outing as Bond, I'm going to try my hardest NOT to watch the trailers/previews before the film is released. I would love to go in to this one truly surprised.

Hahaha good luck with that...I try it every year and totally fail.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I honestly don't believe I have the willpower to avoid ALL footage from the film, so I think I'm going to accept that and watch the first trailer (maybe the full trailer that comes after) only one time, and that's it. Not reading into filming locations, tiny cast members, looking at clapperboards, none of it. I hope to treat even the most basic information regarding the movie as a massive spoiler.

Yeah, that'll all be next to impossible, but imagine the payoff when you finally sit down with almost no idea what to expect. I've managed that with the theme songs the last two times, which was incredible, so I hope I can do the same for the film itself.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe I have the willpower to avoid ALL footage from the film, so I think I'm going to accept that and watch the first trailer (maybe the full trailer that comes after) only one time, and that's it. Not reading into filming locations, tiny cast members, looking at clapperboards, none of it. I hope to treat even the most basic information regarding the movie as a massive spoiler.

Yeah, that'll all be next to impossible, but imagine the payoff when you finally sit down with almost no idea what to expect. I've managed that with the theme songs the last two times, which was incredible, so I hope I can do the same for the film itself.

After 4 years Creasy,old pal,you will be glued to the screen with your tongue hanging out like the rest of us ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »

After 4 years Creasy,old pal,you will be glued to the screen with your tongue hanging out like the rest of us ;)
    Haha, well described, Barry!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,157
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Hahaha good luck with that...I try it every year and totally fail.

Same, with Bond 24 it was especially difficult because of the script leaks.

I want it to be different this time, which means I may even leave the boards at some point (possibly after the title is revealed at next press confidence) and will only watch the teaser and the trailer.

I will definitely listen to the song, as I want to catch the instrumental cues in the soundtrack (assuming there will be).

Probably, but until then, let me fool myself in assuming I have the willpower to hold off!

I really do feel like I find myself overall enjoying TV and movies more when I go in blind. I hate when I get to the point of watching trailers so much that I feel like I can piece together the events from start to finish before I've even seen the finished product.

Probably, but until then, let me fool myself in assuming I have the willpower to hold off!

I really do feel like I find myself overall enjoying TV and movies more when I go in blind. I hate when I get to the point of watching trailers so much that I feel like I can piece together the events from start to finish before I've even seen the finished product.

I can do that with every film except new Bond films.....
    A big reason I want to do it is because I think back to when I first discovered Bond as a youngin', when there was no Internet to hop onto and look up the entire series, trailers, synopsis', etc. I'd just like to see a new installment from my favorite series where I'm none the wiser about what's to unfold. Went into SF knowing almost every single spoiler (partly due to digging where I shouldn't have, and mainly due to those on the forums who couldn't comprehend what a spoiler tag was), and I felt the same way with SP, though that was mostly down to my own fault. This time, I want to experience the film when I watch the finished product, not through clapperboards and leaks and behind-the-scenes images.
    I remember seeing the Royale trailer on TV when I safely assumed that scene with Bond fighting a villain on a construction crane was the climax of the film. :))
    A big reason I want to do it is because I think back to when I first discovered Bond as a youngin', when there was no Internet to hop onto and look up the entire series, trailers, synopsis', etc. I'd just like to see a new installment from my favorite series where I'm none the wiser about what's to unfold. Went into SF knowing almost every single spoiler (partly due to digging where I shouldn't have, and mainly due to those on the forums who couldn't comprehend what a spoiler tag was), and I felt the same way with SP, though that was mostly down to my own fault. This time, I want to experience the film when I watch the finished product, not through clapperboards and leaks and behind-the-scenes images.
    I remember seeing the Royale trailer on TV when I safely assumed that scene with Bond fighting a villain on a construction crane was the climax of the film. :))

I only ever watch the main trailer once ,and maybe a quick teaser once as well..that satisfies me until the main event,and it does work tbh.

Except for SP.thats the only Bond film I have done this with where the trailer was better than the film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool is having its European world premiere tonight in London. We'll see if Broccoli has anything to say on B25 whilst being interviewed.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    I watched the first teaser of Spectre, and nothing else. That paid off.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say old friend that the one thing we are very unlikely to see for Craig's finale is another CR. They've moved quite far from that film in the last 10 years, and if we're all being honest with ourselves, we'll realize that.

They've moved away, but not that far, I think. If they toned down the drama a bit and added a tad more grit, they could go back to CR territory. In fact, just by removing Mendes and the family drama from the equation they'd be taking a step in the direction of CR, because hopefully, any "emotional journey" undertaken by Bond would be related more to the mission than his own being (more TWINE than Spectre, whatever one may think about either film).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Take out the personal drama, delving into Bond's past and the dour overtones, up the tension and adventure.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That teaser was great, far better experience than seeing the actual film, but both of those points I mentioned were spoiled in it.

Yeah. It's an unfortunate side effect of having to promote a film. The filmmakers work to develop intrigue and mystery within the film itself, but trailers are put out that distort and deteriorate those qualities.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The use of the OHMSS theme in the main trailer really helped sell it. The Phiffer Broz really know how to make awesome Bond music. I wonder how well they would do scoring an entire Bond film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    The use of the OHMSS theme in the main trailer really helped sell it. The Phiffer Broz really know how to make awesome Bond music. I wonder how well they would do scoring an entire Bond film.
    Don't know if they'd be able to hold an entire film, but their trailer music is superb.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I think the use of the OHMSS theme in the trailer addressed the SPECTRE organization rather than the film itself, as it's the closest thing we'll ever get to identifying Blofeld/SPECTRE in any form. The Bond fans might recognize Barry's "Soviet Capsule" track from You Only Live Twice mainly as SPECTRE's theme, but the general public won't, hence I think the OHMSS theme was used in it.

Personally, I don't mind if they regularize the OHMSS theme as SPECTRE's theme.
    Take out the personal drama, delving into Bond's past and the dour overtones, up the tension and adventure.

They seem to think that the latter comes from the former.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    No, no, no! Personal drama is great, as long as it's not about Bond. (Vesper' past in CR, or Silva's and M's shared past in Skyfall.) I want drama in my Bond film as long as Bond is not the centre of it. (I agree about no delving into Bond's past.)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say old friend that the one thing we are very unlikely to see for Craig's finale is another CR. They've moved quite far from that film in the last 10 years, and if we're all being honest with ourselves, we'll realize that.

They've moved away, but not that far, I think. If they toned down the drama a bit and added a tad more grit, they could go back to CR territory. In fact, just by removing Mendes and the family drama from the equation they'd be taking a step in the direction of CR, because hopefully, any "emotional journey" undertaken by Bond would be related more to the mission than his own being (more TWINE than Spectre, whatever one may think about either film).
    It's not so much the emotional aspect which is the departure from the first film of the reboot journey for me. Rather, it is the prevalence of 'themes' and the focus on 'art'. CR was a straight Bond thriller. No pretensions. The only drama was the Vesper death, which came right at the end. From QoS onwards (yes, that film suffered from it too, so this is not just the fault of the much maligned Mendes) I have detected a need (obsession?) with trying to make these Bond films more than perhaps they should be at the expense of what they in fact are. To make them appeal to those who like to analyze films at a deeper level. To ostensibly 'elevate' them beyond mere spy fare with hidden meaning and context. This has come, at least in my estimation, at the expense of a focus on the basics. I don't expect anything different for B25, and that was my point.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool is having its European world premiere tonight in London. We'll see if Broccoli has anything to say on B25 whilst being interviewed.
    I don't believe she said anything about Bond, although both Benning and her did comment on Weinstein and the current furore about his behaviour.

It's not so much the emotional aspect which is the departure from the first film of the reboot journey for me. Rather, it is the prevalence of 'themes' and the focus on 'art'. CR was a straight Bond thriller. No pretensions. The only drama was the Vesper death, which came right at the end. From QoS onwards (yes, that film suffered from it too, so this is not just the fault of the much maligned Mendes) I have detected a need (obsession?) with trying to make these Bond films more than perhaps they should be at the expense of what they in fact are. To make them appeal to those who like to analyze films at a deeper level. To ostensibly 'elevate' them beyond mere spy fare with hidden meaning and context. This has come, at least in my estimation, at the expense of a focus on the basics. I don't expect anything different for B25, and that was my point.
    I don't believe she said anything about Bond, although both Benning and her did comment on Weinstein and the current furore about his behaviour.

Personally I like these aspects of the most recent Bond films.
    Dennison wrote: »

Which is perfectly fine, and I'm sure many do. I've had my share of it personally. I don't see it changing until we have the actor switchover and a new approach. Something tells me they are having some trouble figuring out what that is going to be though (e.g. how to define Bond for the next generation in this highly competitive markeplace).
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Dennison wrote: »
    I liked it, too in QoS and Skyfall ... but I think they should give it a rest now.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @bondjames, I’m not convinced that there is a clear direction for a new Bond for a new generation
    @peter, I also think the current political climate is going to make it even more difficult. People are extremely sensitive at this moment and consequently any new approach could potentially raise the ire of certain groups. Especially when it comes to Bond, because a lot of his personality attributes can be judged as part of a bygone era and be a lightning rod for criticism and wider commentary. It's really a worrying situation as far as I'm concerned.