No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I'm not defending it. It doesn't have a point in the film other than showing extreme extravaganza. But to say the concept of that machinery doesn't exist... I believe we were perfectly showcased that in various places.

It's theoretically possible, but then so are a lot of things. I'm not sure why you called on it to argue the point. It's just video game bullshit.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote: »
    Defending the invisible Aston. Anyone else care to go lower?

We sadly live in an age where we love to see general assumptions and conventions die off within a few seconds. All for the sake of fun....and because we can. Not because of logical arguments. Saying that the invisible car from DAD is better than the ending of SP, is something like political incorrectness, anti-establishment.... within the Bond fan community. Anyway, I agree with you @RC7 :-).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

We sadly live in an age where we love to see general assumptions and conventions die off within a few seconds.
    Glad you acknowledged it.

We sadly live in an age where we love to see general assumptions and conventions die off within a few seconds.

I am a realist. I acknowledge it, but I still uttermost despise it.

I am a realist. I acknowledge it, but I still uttermost despise it.
    Good to know.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    David Arnold single handedly ruined TND. He is the reason CR isn't perfect. If he is back, I'm out.

You always manage to outdo yourself with making outrageous comments.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,169
    David Arnold single handedly ruined TND.
    say-what.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    He knows what he did.
    My question to the Arnold haters, when you listen to his TND or CR scores (which I consider his best), what do you want in those scores that you don't get? I think they're close to perfect. I don't see what another composer (even Barry) could have done better
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    My question to the Arnold haters, when you listen to his TND or CR scores (which I consider his best), what do you want in those scores that you don't get?
    Freshness. The only thing Arnold can do is pastiche. As for the score of TND: it's a bad remix album. A grotesque joke.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If freshness is the criteria, I can only assume you loathed SP's score.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My question to the Arnold haters, when you listen to his TND or CR scores (which I consider his best), what do you want in those scores that you don't get?
    Freshness. The only thing Arnold can do is pastiche. As for the score of TND: it's a bad remix album. A grotesque joke.

This post is a grotesque joke. Arnold not bland or generic enough for you? Or would you want a Bond score with no Bond theme or any of the elements that make a good Bond score at all? Arnold isn't a Pastiche, He updated the Bond sound for the 21st century.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If freshness is the criteria, I can only assume you loathed SP's score.
    Yes, I didn't like it. Still, I wouldn't mind if Newman returned since I consider the score of SF easily the best Bond score since GoldenEye, and I'm assuming it wasn't Newman's decision to recycle his SF score when they were making Spectre.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Dad is so bad it's good. SP is kinda bad and tries to be good, and it makes it terrible.
    Murdock wrote: »

This post is a grotesque joke. Arnold not bland or generic enough for you? Or would you want a Bond score with no Bond theme or any of the elements that make a good Bond score at all? Arnold isn't a Pastiche, He updated the Bond sound for the 21st century.
    LOL. You seriously think Arnold is not bland any generic? As for the Bond theme, it definitely should NOT be used as often as Arnold used it.

LOL. You seriously think Arnold is not bland any generic? As for the Bond theme, it definitely should NOT be used as often as Arnold used it.

Arnold is the second best Composer since Barry. He even had John Barry's approval. His scores are anything but generic and bland. The Bond theme should be used more than it's currently been for the last for films as it's been basically non existent sans the damn end credits and that is a crime!
    Modern, unique and sexy: https://youtube.com/watch?v=k830wSv9lW8

Moderd, unique and sexy: https://youtube.com/watch?v=l58lm8phdnk

Vomit-inducing, grotesque remix: https://youtube.com/watch?v=W9XKEykVixE
    Modern, unique and sexy: https://youtube.com/watch?v=k830wSv9lW8

Moderd, unique and sexy: https://youtube.com/watch?v=l58lm8phdnk

Vomit-inducing, grotesque remix: https://youtube.com/watch?v=W9XKEykVixE

GoldenEye Overture, Great.

Quartermaster, Awful.

Backdriver is pretty good. You must not like the propellerheads basslines. Which is fine, I hate that bass too but when the song actually gets into the good stuff it's great.
    You should give me the name of your otolaryngologist.
  • RC7RC7
    Backseat Driver is brilliant.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Agreed. Arnold is the second best composer the Bond series ever had.

With no recognition, nominations, or awards to speak of? I doth protest.
    TripAces wrote: »

You judge somebody's work automatically by Academy and Golden Globe Awards?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TripAces wrote: »

You judge somebody's work automatically by Academy and Golden Globe Awards?
    Hardly an indication of quality. WOTW won an Academy Award for Best Original Song, YKMN did not. And it doesn't take a genius to know which is the superior theme.

Arnold is the second best Composer since Barry. He even had John Barry's approval. His scores are anything but generic and bland. The Bond theme should be used more than it's currently been for the last for films as it's been basically non existent sans the damn end credits and that is a crime!

Sure Barry approved, knowing fully well that DA would never come close. Even with TLD Barry with a more modern sound introduced the 007 era to a newer modern sound. Which DA took and infused it with a wee bit drum 'n Base.
    With CR & QoB he got a carte blanche to make his mark on the series musically and he managed to muck that up, there is not one bit of identity to both soundtracks that would make it recognizable as being part of a particular soundtrack of a movie let alone a 007 movie.

To bad that Mendes boyfriend did not manage anything at all either both soundtracks sound like musical wallpaper, a job done halfcocked with no interest whatsoever.

Ever since Barry has left the building the music of the 007 movies have taken a serious dip in quality. Makes you wonder why EON does not invest more money in a top of the line music man.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Imho the QoS soundtrack was superior to the CR. SF had some interesting tunes - but overall I think QoS is much much better than SF's soundtrack.

It's all a matter of taste of course - but I would not mind a really classic soundtrack at all ... GF and TB were excellent and not to mention OHMSS and YOLT
    As for the Bond theme, it definitely should NOT be used as often as Arnold used it.
    Huh? Some of the criticism concerning his CR and QoS scores was that he hardly used the Bond theme.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Ever since Barry has left the building the music of the 007 movies have taken a serious dip in quality. Makes you wonder why EON does not invest more money in a top of the line music man.
    +1.

I can't understand this fascination with David Arnold personally. He's a third rate hack to my ears, albeit a loyal one. As far as I'm concerned he's operating well above his pay grade and it shows unfortunately. I'm no Newman fan either. Neither of them are up to the task. I enjoyed elements of CR, QoS and SF but I wouldn't put any of these scores anywhere close to the excellence this series produced in its heyday when it was a genre benchmark.

I sincerely hope EON do invest in someone with the ability to infuse a new musical sound for Bond. Newman at least tried in SF, but his approach is not right for the series.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can't understand this fascination with David Arnold personally. He's a third rate hack to my ears,

What's your reasoning behind this? I'm genuinely curious.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I'm probably one of the few that digs the Tom Ford look. I love their suits, and I like the slim style on Craig. To me it's clean looking compared to the baggy look of the suits in CR. Then again, I've come to learn that suiting style/fit is extremely subjective.

Moreover, Daniel Craig's Bond has got rougher edges, so a slightly 'criminal' look looks better on him I think. And that's why I also don't mind a few wrinkles in the used fabrics. That's Tom Ford. Brioni is for oldies like Brosnan. And I think Jany Temime deserves a bit more credit here. Let's move on, Lindy Hemming does other movies now. So please stop this kind of nonsense:
    Spectre-Suit-Corrected-Fit-Blue-Shirt.jpg

I'm no expert on clothing, but I have to agree with Matt Spaiser's opinion on this suit. The one on the right looks better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can't understand this fascination with David Arnold personally. He's a third rate hack to my ears,

What's your reasoning behind this? I'm genuinely curious.
    I've explained it several times before. Ad nauseam. I'd prefer not to go into it again, sufficed to say when I heard he wasn't on SF it brought a wide smile to my face (yes, this is even after his CR/QoS efforts). In general, I find his music has no identity or melody. Apart from a few tracks in CR and QoS there is nothing remotely hummable. Moreover his action scoring is too loud, noisy and lacks finesse for me. It's all just frenetic drums and bass as far as I'm concerned. While Newman's action scoring puts me to sleep for the most part, Arnold's gives me a headache. Similarly when it comes to the slow stuff, I hear much more intricate and refined Barryesque subtlety in Newman's work in comparison to Arnold's. More sophistication.

I contend that neither of these two are right for Bond. Arnold is poorly approximating Barry, which is something I just can't stand when it comes to art. That's one of the reasons I take issue with a lot of Brosnan's work - because I feel on many an occasion he's poorly channeling Moore. I give Newman credit for attempting to make it his own with SF but as I said, his sound is not right.

Time for someone new.