No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just want CR-quality film making at the very least going forward.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Are we still expecting an announcement in the coming weeks?

welcome :-). Shall I say something? Patience is a virtue :-D.

Yes it is. I have been checking these threads regularly for some time and have found that we are all craving any James Bond related news. I do quite enjoy following the pre production but my curiosity around Bond 25 is at an all time high
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,081
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Leave the big crazy stunts rightfully to the stuntmen and let Craig focus on more and better choreographed hand to hand combat.

I'm likely in the minority but I miss the choreography from the first two of Craig's era - fast and frenetic. Bond tussling with Slate is one of my favorite fights in the series, and watching Bond evade the machete swings in the stairwell in CR never fails to be nerve-wracking.

If that's a minority (???), I'm in it, too.
    Leave the big crazy stunts rightfully to the stuntmen and let Craig focus on more and better choreographed hand to hand combat.

I'm likely in the minority but I miss the choreography from the first two of Craig's era - fast and frenetic. Bond tussling with Slate is one of my favorite fights in the series, and watching Bond evade the machete swings in the stairwell in CR never fails to be nerve-wracking.

Those were glorious. Brutal and visceral fight scenes. We need more of these!

That we do. The Hinx fight came close, and was still pretty entertaining, but it lacked something for me, I'm not sure what.

I didn't even like that. - Now that probably really is a minority opinion. ;)
    The SP train fight was alright but nothing special. I don't want to see Bond throwing pots and pans at someone like a frikkin Tom and Jerry cartoon. What was also missing were the immediate consequences of what was taking place. A sweaty looking Bond at the end if it all is bs. There should have at least been a nosebleed and his dinner suit should have been jacked up a lot more. Also, in the past Craig movies he fought like someone who had training; in this fight he fought like an unskilled fighter hoping to get lucky. This fight scene had so much potential but it really missed out on so much.

*highfive*

And well said @RC7
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I just want CR-quality film making at the very least going forward.
    Indeed. I agree. That film had a brilliant group of actors performing at the top of their game, including Craig. If they can't bring that level of quality at a minimum to the next one after four years, they should just all go home.

Regarding Craig: he will really have to knock it out of the park with the intensity and authenticity he brought to his first two entries in order to regain my personal admiration for him as James Bond.
    FWIW, Logan Lucky appears to have flopped. Estimated opening weekend is $8 million despite its 93% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
    So much for Soderbergh for Bond.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    The SP train fight was alright but nothing special. I don't want to see Bond throwing pots and pans at someone like a frikkin Tom and Jerry cartoon. What was also missing were the immediate consequences of what was taking place. A sweaty looking Bond at the end if it all is bs. There should have at least been a nosebleed and his dinner suit should have been jacked up a lot more. Also, in the past Craig movies he fought like someone who had training; in this fight he fought like an unskilled fighter hoping to get lucky. This fight scene had so much potential but it really missed out on so much.

*highfive*
    Agreed.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,733
    Everyone thats been here as long as I have ( if not longer) knows how much I hate skyfall. But I have to say I love the way that it ends. No bond film has gotten me more excited at the end then skyfall, every time I watched it.
    Yeah, it's an exciting moment! Seeing M's office once again felt like coming home.

Zekidk wrote: »
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I hope for Bond 25 that bright colours return. SF was pretty dark in colour as is SP. SP also has this yellow glow on a lot of scenes. Just imagine how much colour the Mexico scenes could have brought to the screen.

Thank God for the Lumetri panel in Adobe Premiere ;-)

Let's see it!

Just uploaded. They went overboard with the colorgrading. Example from my own version and personal preference (comments appreciated):
    Here's a comment: I love it. Bringing the color back to it!

Can't we agree on the fact that all of Craig's Bond outings are good to a certain extend? I mean really guys, did Sean Connery only make fantastic films? Did Roger Moore make 7 juwels of Bond films? I think we can all agree that every Bond film has or should have a special place in our hearts:

6cuZo0f.jpg

That's not a "fact" though. I'll give SF the benefit of the doubt and say while I don't personally like it, it is a very well made film, but SP is just bad. 'Factually good' is the last term I'd use to describe it. It has its moments, but nothing that comes close to saving the movie.

Yet, even SP is a Bond film. Not a random action flick. We are all Bond films. And in the end we all learn to appeciate at least parts of th mediocre Bond films. True no? TMWTGG, AVTAK.......we tend to rewatch them because they have some oldtimer/classic status. Not because they are good, but because they are Bond films. And eventually this will also count for QOS and SP. Perhaps not now, since they are a bit too...new. But to me they are as worthy as TMWTGG, AVTAK, DAF and even DAD.
    I enjoy every Bond film. The basic formula of a Bond movie --you know, "martinis, girls and guns"-- gives it an irresistible aura of excitement, and beyond that template, each film has something unique to offer. They may have their shortcomings, but I feel they've definitely maintained a good level of quality over the decades. The producers are going to screw up from time to time, but Bond is in good hands.

bondjames wrote: »
    Mendes isn't coming back and if he knows what's good for him he won't entertain the idea of returning. EoN have Had so much time to reflect and rewatch their catalogue of Bond films, there's no way they can do that and want Mendes back. Time for EoN to get deadly serious for Bond 25.
    It would be helpful to get some confirmation on what he is going to be up to for the next year before I can confidently say the same.
    Maybe, after being "in the shadows" for the last two films, in this last one Mendes will be revealed as the true villain of the Craig era.

Disclaimer: I don't hate Mendes. I just couldn't resist writing that! :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm tempering my expectation but I want nothing but a cracking entry for DC to end on.

Before SP I was more than happy with what had gone before, happen to think CR - SF is a one of the greatest runs of the series, I know QOS has it's detractors, it has it's flaws and yes I still think it suffers compared to the other 2 but I still think it's a great entry.

My feelings on SP are because I loved this era and that film just tainted it for me, I think they can repair that with this film and a standalone won't make sense, they need to finish what they started and give Craig the first truly great final entry of any Bond so far.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Mendes isn't coming back and if he knows what's good for him he won't entertain the idea of returning. EoN have Had so much time to reflect and rewatch their catalogue of Bond films, there's no way they can do that and want Mendes back. Time for EoN to get deadly serious for Bond 25.
    It would be helpful to get some confirmation on what he is going to be up to for the next year before I can confidently say the same.
    Maybe, after being "in the shadows" for the last two films, in this last one Mendes will be revealed as the true villain of the Craig era.

It's amazing how many don't like him anymore. I thought he did a decent enough job with the last film. It's the cast and script that blew it across the board for me. Yet he gets the blame.

I'll always personally respect him for giving us SF at least.

I don't know if either side would be interested anyway (might be as well, but I have no clue), but I don't think LL BO has anything to do with any of that at all.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I hope for Bond 25 that bright colours return. SF was pretty dark in colour as is SP. SP also has this yellow glow on a lot of scenes. Just imagine how much colour the Mexico scenes could have brought to the screen.

Thank God for the Lumetri panel in Adobe Premiere ;-)

Let's see it!

Just uploaded. They went overboard with the colorgrading. Example from my own version and personal preference (comments appreciated):

GetCarter wrote: »
    My wife, a casual and dispassionate Bond fan if ever there was one, thoroughly enjoyed SF in the cinema and has zero interest in a repeat viewing. My wife is the one Mendes wanted to appeal to. He knew he already had me.

Precisely! SF is probably the only Bond film I don't feel like ever watching again though (except the PCS). So sad!
    I revisited TLD last night. John Glen rises in my estimation every time I watch an 80s entry. His direction is so concise, so brilliantly efficient, that he fits more human detail, more quirk, more fun into half an hour than Mendes does in his two features.

Same thing can be said about Lewis Gilbert. Silly, but visually stunning and one hell of a ride. All three of them. And don't get me started on Barry's cues in two of them ;-)

That video is great looking. Redo the whole film why don't you? Haha! :D

But in seriousness, I would love to ask Sam about his colour choices.
    Can we get Paul Greengrass for the next 007 installment at least we get some intense and decent action scenes and a probably a above decent storyline?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,474
    Seeing that edited video makes the filtering choice for SP that much more ridiculous and perplexing.

@SaintMark, that'll never happen. Greengrass and the Bond series don't see eye-to-eye at all, and he's gone on record saying he'd never direct an installment.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756

Baby Driver made three times it's budget, quite surprised on that one. Maybe Wright should do the next Bond film. ;)

FWIW, Logan Lucky appears to have flopped. Estimated opening weekend is $8 million despite its 93% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Baby Driver made three times it's budget, quite surprised on that one. Maybe Wright should do the next Bond film. ;)

First film of Wright's to cross $100 million domestically, as well. Was shocked to see that wasn't the case for his Cornetto Trilogy, which seemed pretty well-loved over here.
    Seeing that edited video makes the filtering choice for SP that much more ridiculous and perplexing.

@SaintMark, that'll never happen. Greengrass and the Bond series don't see eye-to-eye at all, and he's gone on record saying he'd never direct an installment.

With the kind of paychecks they write these days Greengrass could do very well picking his next project. And he has proven that he can make a more that decent Spy movie. Even Jason Bourne was beter in story and action scenes than SP. And i do not believe that EON would dismiss the man out of hand if they were the professionals they ought to be.
    SaintMark wrote: »

With the kind of paychecks they write these days Greengrass could do very well picking his next project. And he has proven that he can make a more that decent Spy movie. Even Jason Bourne was beter in story and action scenes than SP. And i do not believe that EON would dismiss the man out of hand if they were the professionals they ought to be.

It still doesn't change the fact that he has said himself several times that he'd never do a Bond movie. I don't know the exact history of it all, I'm sure others do, but I know if it was solely up to him, it wouldn't happen.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I agree, @Creasy47 . The Slate fight, to me, is the greatest badass Bond moment of all time. Slate himself is a hired assassin...and Bond wastes him in less than a minute. I love it.

The second Patrice fight, in SF, is similar.

In regards to CR, though, I thought the Mollaka chase and Miami airport action sequences were too drawn out. The stairwell fight was good stuff, though.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    Can we get Paul Greengrass for the next 007 installment at least we get some intense and decent action scenes and a probably a above decent storyline?

The same Paul Greengrass who talks about his contempt for Bond in various interviews?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So based on previous movies, how early in to 2018 can we start expecting news regarding production (plot, filming locations, casting info, etc.)?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

I'd be ok with Wright or someone like him to be honest. Baby Driver was pretty well done.

Yes, I agree. Those were both excellent fights. However, the Slate one was hugely influenced by the fights with Desh, Jarda and Castel in the three Bourne films. Irrespective, that's how a Bond fight should be. Raw and visceral.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    So based on previous movies, how early in to 2018 can we start expecting news regarding production (plot, filming locations, casting info, etc.)?

End of year.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    If there's one thing I'm sad to see post-SP is that it appears to me quite a few fans who were pretty happy with CR thru SF have let their dislike/hatred of SP cast a cloud over the previous entries (I'm aware that's not everyone).

Despite some negativity around SF (I have my issues) on the whole there was a positive energy around Bond in 2012. SP seems to have killed that somewhat within this particular fan community.

I totally understand that for some people it's bad, and others beyond bad, but it seems the groundswell of negativity has brought about a retrospective downgrading of Craig and the work he's done. I've always thought he brought something unique to the series and am of the mind he should be remembered for the majority of excellent work he delivered, rather than the missteps, as with every actor.

I'm hoping that if it's this easy for some to do a near 180 on him after one film the same could be true of B25. I remain optimistic that they'll deliver a significantly better film in 2019 and hopefully those with an open mind can allow themselves a little optimism too.

Well said, sir, and in full agreement

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »

It's amazing how many don't like him anymore. I thought he did a decent enough job with the last film. It's the cast and script that blew it across the board for me. Yet he gets the blame.

I'll always personally respect him for giving us SF at least.

And as I've said before, while overall the experience of watching Skyfall leaves me a bit cold, it's an stylish, elegant film, and it explores interesting themes, despite them feeling somewhat at odds with the traditional feel of a Bond film. And I'm grateful he gave us Spectre, which for me, problems and all, is just plain fun! I don't want Mendes back, but not because he blew it. I just think hiring him is a bit of a gamble; he's like nitroglycerine: poweful, but volatile. Give me a John Glen type any day.

It's interesting how Mendes turned in what I'd consider two very different films. The most versatile of the Bond directors, perhaps?
    It looks excellent, I love it! Also, I would love to see the whole scene colorcorrected without cutting back and forth betweeen the two version. Do you have that? If so, can you please upload it when you have time?
    Me
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

End of year.

I am so glad that I have my own Bond project to work on to help keep me busy. It's gonna be a long 12 months!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

First film of Wright's to cross $100 million domestically, as well. Was shocked to see that wasn't the case for his Cornetto Trilogy, which seemed pretty well-loved over here.

They're somewhat loved here too, I guess it's more of a cult thing over here.

I also think it has to do with that Baby Driver is set in America with American characters.

@RogueAgent What's your Bond project?
    I didn't mind Baby Driver, but felt it was over-hyped.

Edgar Wright has talent but still lacks the maturity required to tackle a Bond film IMO. Pass.
    I didn't mind Baby Driver, but felt it was over-hyped.

Edgar Wright has talent but still lacks the maturity required to tackle a Bond film IMO. Pass.

Mirrors my thoughts exactly, though I'm not sure how he'd handle a Bond film.
  • RC7RC7
    Wright is great at what he does. He isn't a Bond director.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The director will be approved by DC. Make no mistake. We can look at some of his previous collaborations:

Soderbergh: No, wants too much creative control, and you can see where that got him with LL, which tanked at the BO (he controlled all of the marketing for that film).

Mendes: Won't do it. I don't think there was an issue between him and DC. That's rumor mill stuff. They looked fine together in interviews after the film.

Boyle: Yes, but says he won't do a Bond film.

Fincher: Possible. The guy is considering World War Z 2, for heaven's sake.

Spielberg: Could you imagine? He's said no way, because of some spat with EON forty years ago. Get over it, Steven.

Sheridan: No

Favreau: Hmmm. Maybe, but has too much on his plate.

Zwick: No.

Taylor-Johnson: Could be interesting.

Crowley: This could be quite a development. Crowley directed Brooklyn and two episodes of True Detective.

Forster: No

Campbell: Who knows?