No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We are all Bond films.

Which Bond film are you, then? DAD?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Can't we agree on the fact that all of Craig's Bond outings are good to a certain extend? I mean really guys, did Sean Connery only make fantastic films? Did Roger Moore make 7 juwels of Bond films? I think we can all agree that every Bond film has or should have a special place in our hearts:

6cuZo0f.jpg

That's not a "fact" though. I'll give SF the benefit of the doubt and say while I don't personally like it, it is a very well made film, but SP is just bad. 'Factually good' is the last term I'd use to describe it. It has its moments, but nothing that comes close to saving the movie.

Yet, even SP is a Bond film. Not a random action flick. We are all Bond films. And in the end we all learn to appeciate at least parts of th mediocre Bond films. True no? TMWTGG, AVTAK.......we tend to rewatch them because they have some oldtimer/classic status. Not because they are good, but because they are Bond films. And eventually this will also count for QOS and SP. Perhaps not now, since they are a bit too...new. But to me they are as worthy as TMWTGG, AVTAK, DAF and even DAD.

Right now its a sore spot. I'm sure in the fullness of time the Craig films will settle into their own place within the history of the franchise. It's hard to predict where that is, but I think the constant comparisons to Connery and the apologetics of Craig's Bond at the moment are forcing people into a more emphatic stance. We just have to wait.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Can't we agree on the fact that all of Craig's Bond outings are good to a certain extend? I mean really guys, did Sean Connery only make fantastic films? Did Roger Moore make 7 juwels of Bond films? I think we can all agree that every Bond film has or should have a special place in our hearts:

6cuZo0f.jpg

That's not a "fact" though. I'll give SF the benefit of the doubt and say while I don't personally like it, it is a very well made film, but SP is just bad. 'Factually good' is the last term I'd use to describe it. It has its moments, but nothing that comes close to saving the movie.

Thats still 3 out of 4 Creasy!! Like myself, love all bar SF so, a success imho

I'm still nowhere near "loving" SF, but I've come to appreciate it more and more over the years, especially when compared to SP. I almost feel like my complaints with SF are a bit negated after my issues with SP.

I wouldn't say the likes of AVTAK or TMWTGG are flat-out "bad" films like I feel SP is - they may not be the most worthy of installments, but they're always a blast.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Mendes isn't coming back and if he knows what's good for him he won't entertain the idea of returning. EoN have Had so much time to reflect and rewatch their catalogue of Bond films, there's no way they can do that and want Mendes back. Time for EoN to get deadly serious for Bond 25.
    It would be helpful to get some confirmation on what he is going to be up to for the next year before I can confidently say the same.

In the immortal words of good ol' Brozza, hope springs eternal.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Agreed time to concentrate on that rather than Mendes it's time to move on. If I didn't know better I'd think some want this to fail.

I'm a Bond fan yes but I don't subscribe liking all the eras, with the exception GE (and my change was only recent on that) I really don't like Pierces films and DC's film bought me back into the fold big time.

One of the reason I'm so vocal over my dislike of SPECTRE is because I'm a big advocate of Daniel Craig and that film just didn't deliver like I expected.

That being said I'm all behind them picking up where they left off, dealing with it and giving DC a great swansong and not keep harping on about Mendes returning.

We've had a shortlist and I think Yann is the likely candidate unless DC does have the clout to suggest Soderbergh after working with him on Logan Lucky and BB & MGW be on the same page. I know some think that DC gets his own way but I think those 2 do still get the last say and DC wanted RH for the theme on SPECTRE and BB and MGW overruled that.

I think the director will always come down to those 2 and DC can suggest who he likes but Barbara and Michael will always get the final say.

I can't see Denis wanting to do a film that is closing an era and more likely to doing a one with the next guy like Nolan.

While I'm trying to temper my expectation, look we've got more than 2 years before the finished product is in front of us, we've got some big announcements to expect between now and then and even if they all seems to fit into place the proof will be on the screen late 2019.

Well said.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Hopefully the stuntmen won't be obvious sounds like bond 25 will use more stuntmen then usual http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/daniel-craig-promises-cut-back-11015923
    As long as they don't feel the need to CG his face atop practical stunts done by stuntmen, then I'm fine with that.

Also, what's the truth to this quote in that article?

“Daniel pushes himself very hard and does all his own car chases."
    Can't blame Daniel for using more stuntmen this time. He got hurt pretty bad last time and his gonna be in his 50s during filming. It's not gonna be AVTAK bad where Roger had a stuntman for every single movement he made.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just tabloid drivel.
    Look what I just made :-D! Another lovely desktop background:

rpMXyT0.png
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I love that, @Gustav_Graves.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I love that, @Gustav_Graves.

I posted some more collages/backgrounds in here @jake24 :-):
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/2066/bond-fan-posters#latest
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »
    Just tabloid drivel.

Yes. It will be his last and he has signed on for two more, and wants to beat Moore s seven.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Are we still expecting an announcement in the coming weeks?
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Are we still expecting an announcement in the coming weeks?

welcome :-). Shall I say something? Patience is a virtue :-D.
    Leave the big crazy stunts rightfully to the stuntmen and let Craig focus on more and better choreographed hand to hand combat.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,474
    Leave the big crazy stunts rightfully to the stuntmen and let Craig focus on more and better choreographed hand to hand combat.

I'm likely in the minority but I miss the choreography from the first two of Craig's era - fast and frenetic. Bond tussling with Slate is one of my favorite fights in the series, and watching Bond evade the machete swings in the stairwell in CR never fails to be nerve-wracking.

I'm likely in the minority but I miss the choreography from the first two of Craig's era - fast and frenetic. Bond tussling with Slate is one of my favorite fights in the series, and watching Bond evade the machete swings in the stairwell in CR never fails to be nerve-wracking.

Those were glorious. Brutal and visceral fight scenes. We need more of these!

That we do. The Hinx fight came close, and was still pretty entertaining, but it lacked something for me, I'm not sure what.

That we do. The Hinx fight came close, and was still pretty entertaining, but it lacked something for me, I'm not sure what.

Then please describe what that 'something' was :-). For me the train fight sequence was perfection. To me that fight sequence also was breathing more 'Bond' than that deadly Jason Bourne sequence. And also a bit too much of a copy of the fight sequence from OHMSS in Tracy's hotel bedroom.
    "I'm not sure what." Thus, I can't describe it. I will say it was the best fight we got out of SF and SP - doesn't say much for me, but hey, that's some positivity for SP.

A copy of OHMSS in what way? The only comparison I can draw is the environment being destroyed as they fight.

Eh?

Eh?

What are you not understanding in that sentence? It's an opinion regarding a fight scene.
    A copy of OHMSS in what way? The only comparison I can draw is the environment being destroyed as they fight.

No, you can do better ;-). Something with: style of direction?

Eh?

What are you not understanding in that sentence? It's an opinion regarding a fight scene.

Calm down. I know that.

No, you can do better ;-). Something with: style of direction?

Haven't seen the SP fight in so long so I'm not sure. I do know the train fight shares some glaring similarities with other fights, like the mirrored shot of Hinx/Jaws picking Bond up and slamming him into the ceiling/holding him there.
  • FWIW, Logan Lucky appears to have flopped. Estimated opening weekend is $8 million despite its 93% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

The SP train fight was alright but nothing special. I don't want to see Bond throwing pots and pans at someone like a frikkin Tom and Jerry cartoon. What was also missing were the immediate consequences of what was taking place. A sweaty looking Bond at the end if it all is bs. There should have at least been a nosebleed and his dinner suit should have been jacked up a lot more. Also, in the past Craig movies he fought like someone who had training; in this fight he fought like an unskilled fighter hoping to get lucky. This fight scene had so much potential but it really missed out on so much.
  • RC7RC7
    If there's one thing I'm sad to see post-SP is that it appears to me quite a few fans who were pretty happy with CR thru SF have let their dislike/hatred of SP cast a cloud over the previous entries (I'm aware that's not everyone).

Despite some negativity around SF (I have my issues) on the whole there was a positive energy around Bond in 2012. SP seems to have killed that somewhat within this particular fan community.

I totally understand that for some people it's bad, and others beyond bad, but it seems the groundswell of negativity has brought about a retrospective downgrading of Craig and the work he's done. I've always thought he brought something unique to the series and am of the mind he should be remembered for the majority of excellent work he delivered, rather than the missteps, as with every actor.

I'm hoping that if it's this easy for some to do a near 180 on him after one film the same could be true of B25. I remain optimistic that they'll deliver a significantly better film in 2019 and hopefully those with an open mind can allow themselves a little optimism too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @RC7 I agree, very well said.