No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Daniel Craig’s Wild Performance in Logan Lucky Will Make You Forget He Was Ever James Bond
    https://gq.com/story/daniel-craig-logan-lucky

In a nutshell, by making the recalcitrant Craig an offer he couldn't refuse. "He really had carte blanche to build this character any way he wanted," Soderbergh tells me. "I said to him, 'I don't care how you look. I don't care how you sound. And you don't have to do any press if you don't want to.' Because I know that going on the Bond press tour is, for him, harder than doing the movie."

"So the ideas would come in in dribs and drabs," the director continues. "'Here's some tattoos. Here's my haircut. I'm working with a dialect guy.' Then he showed up with it; he was ready."
    Perhaps he could use that Joe Bang voice in Bond 25.

"Mah... name... eis... Bond."
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    The mood is a bit depressing round here.

Agreed. Nothing is confirmed editorially, thus far, just a lot of speculation. If there's time to be even mildly optimistic it's now.

Just gonna leave this here to remind all the angst ridden millennials how bad ass Bond is and always will be...

You like this one too @RC7:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/feature/james-bond-50-years-of-main-title-design/
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.

Well, I don't know, Ive never been much of a fan of Bond in america. I just feel he doesnt belong in the u.s.

Well, I don't know, Ive never been much of a fan of Bond in america. I just feel he doesnt belong in the u.s.

Nonsense. First of all, James Bond is a globetrotter, a world citizen. And he has given us some wonderful US locations in films like GF, DAF, LALD, AVTAK and LTK. So why do you say "he doesn't belong there"?
  • bondjames wrote: »

Nonsense. First of all, James Bond is a globetrotter, a world citizen. And he has given us some wonderful US locations in films like GF, DAF, LALD, AVTAK and LTK. So why do you say "he doesn't belong there"?

Yeah and Fleming always seemed keen on the idea of Bond in America. I've got no problem with it personally and I'd like for them to go back there to do the Spectreville (could change the name to avoid confusion) stuff some day. I want Bond 25 to be set solely in Japan though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

As I said to your suggestion previously, I have no problems with OO7 in the US. I agree it's been a while. I'd just prefer it if they don't do it in a cheap fashion, like they normally do. Let it feel a bit more glamorous & stylish.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd love to have another Bond film set solely in one, maybe two locations.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Maybe its just because I live in America and I like to see Bond go to "foreign" places. Or perhpaps its because Im not a fan of DAF
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    America bores me. There are more romantic places.
    Winter Soldier has some great shots of D.C.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Maybe as a PTS it could work
    I'd like to see Bond in Texas, as Gustav_Graves suggested in his story.

I like it when the Bond films contrast a US location with a more exotic one. I'm also reminded of Billion Dollar Brain, the Harry Palmer film... Helsinki and Texas. Works for me.

Yes, but a majority of it was shot in Cleveland, OH, doubling for D.C.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes, but a majority of it was shot in Cleveland, OH, doubling for D.C.
    Yes, but I'm referring to the shots with the famous monuments and so on. It was quite atmospheric. Like I said on another thread, I think they could really make a special Bond film using that location. Louisiana would be great too, but they've already gone there.

New York could work just like London did for SF. It all depends on the context.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    If Jeffrey Wright is coming back it makes sense for Bond to go to America, but it should be one among a few locations in bond 25
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd love to have another Bond film set solely in one, maybe two locations.

Agreed. And i too would rather European locales. But i certainly would be thrilled to hear it was to set in Japan!

I'd say the US audiences might want on the contrary more exotic locations.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'd say the US audiences might want on the contrary more exotic locations.
    You're right about that.
    How about have the film start with 007 in New York with Madeline...dare I say it...on their honeymoon...have shit go down...then introduce Felix back into things and go from there.

Perhaps have her kidnapped?

Can get some of the flavour of the Felix/Bond New York chapters in Diamond are Forever?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I also prefer Europe and tropical locations, but I've always wanted them to remake LALD starting in NY with a train trip down the eastern seaboard, ending somewhere like Savannagh, Georgia (rather than Florida) which has moody atmosphere; Then the finale in Jamaica.
    00Dalton wrote: »
    How about have the film start with 007 in New York with Madeline...dare I say it...on their honeymoon...have shit go down...then introduce Felix back into things and go from there.

Perhaps have her kidnapped?

Can get some of the flavour of the Felix/Bond New York chapters in Diamond are Forever?

I would hope they can get a bit more creative than having her kidnapped yet again (which happened twice in SP).
    We need 1. fewer locations than in the last couple of Bond films 2. a location as exotic as Jamaica was back in 1962. I'm thinking Papua New Guinea.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I would love to see Wright as Felix again, as long as they aren't following up with Lucia Sciarra story line.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They shouldn't come to the US to pander to US audiences. That won't work.

US audiences didn't feel SP was mediocre due to where it was filmed. It had to do with their overall opinion on the quality of the product.

It was somewhat soulless & clinical for general American tastes. It's been my observation that you've got to give the Americans some grit. Some passion.
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    If Jeffrey Wright is coming back it makes sense for Bond to go to America, but it should be one among a few locations in bond 25

I'm not sure. I mean, everyone knows that I greatly respect director Sam Mendes. I love both his Bond films. Bit his talk that he wanted to have both 'hot and cold scenery' in SP kinda escaped me. If you only choose locations to alternate between 'hot and cold' cinematography, so that it has this balance and that artistry.....escapes me.

You choose locations because the story is asking that. In my story the adventure was really predominantly set in the USA because my story was set there. The story should Always be the driving force for locations, not a sense of artistry.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'm hoping The Property of a Lady is the title for Bond 25; I have wanted it since Bond 23. Shatterhand is probably my second choice.

I've always wanted that to be a Bond title, it sounds great. Would have been perfect for Skyfall.
    My favorite thing about his announcement on the Colbert interview is that he appears to start blushing when the crowd cheers so much after he says he's coming back.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

US audiences didn't feel SP was mediocre due to where it was filmed. It had to do with their overall opinion on the quality of the product.

It was somewhat soulless & clinical for general American tastes. It's been my observation that you've got to give the Americans some grit. Some passion.

Agreed!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm hoping for downbeat personally. I'm all for a change in direction to something more fun and straightforward but save that for the next guy. Now Craig is back they have to go all out. Doesn't have to be a straight YOLT adaptation I suppose but keep that same grim, surreal atmosphere and all the important stuff (garden of death).

The worst thing they could do now is have Craig back and not bother with Blofeld or any of that. If they sweep SP under the carpet and give him a straightforward Bond film then what's the point? They have the perfect opportunity to finally do YOLT right, and if they're going to insist on Craig being back instead of a fresh start (when SP worked as an ending) they'd better use it. That's been what's keeping me excited. I wanted a fresh start but I've been okay with the idea of Craig returning because one of the best Bond's ever, one of the closest to the books and the best actor to play Bond doing my favourite Bond novel justice? Can't really complain there. But if they bring him back and don't take anything from YOLT or follow up from SP at all then I really don't see the point.

Basically, if they're not going to give us the Bond/Blofeld showdown we've been waiting for and are instead going for a change in direction with Craig then they may as well have given us a proper fresh start. I'm confident that's the direction they're going in though. Say what you will about Purvis and Wade but they seem to know Fleming, and Craig wants to go out on a high, what better way than how he started: giving a brilliant critic silencing performance in a really well done adaptation of one of the original novels (the best one imo). If they do YOLT and do it well it has a good chance of seeing my favourite Bond film. Yeah it'd be a depressing ending but it'd also be a perfect one and they can easily do something more fun for Bond 26. But for now they shouldn't worry about going too dark because it'd be a waste of a great opportunity.

Bond 25 (please call it Shatterhand) should have the bleakest atmosphere of the series imo. If they wanted a change in direction they should have got a new actor. But for now don't blueball us. I want a Bond who's a broken alcoholic givento be a new lease of life when he has the chance to kill his arch nemesis, with a finale that has him swimming past sharks and scaling the walls of a castle built on a volcano to have one last showdown against an insane samurai Blofeld, who's holed up in his suicide garden. That's a very dark premise so it should be a dark film.

Bang on. I want the end of the Craig era to be a broken Bond stood on the deck of a Japanese mail boat and sailing off into the fog towards Vladivostok.

Quite. Look at LTK - they tried to pander to America by setting half the film in Florida and it looked like a poor man's Lethal Weapon.