No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Making a profit isn't being disputed. What I'm looking at are the actual margins to see how profitable these films are. Looking at LTK's numbers (box office, marketing and budget), before profit sharing the film would have secured about $23million on it's $36million budget. Once that 23million is divided up, what did EoN go home with? A number not worth boasting about i can tell you that. These films aren't made to lose money, nor to just break even or walk away with a barely there profit. In any case we'll see what numbers get thrown at Bond 25 together up and running and see how that turns out.
    Precisely. It's all about return on investment and risk. The higher the investment, the higher the risk. The box office is rather volatile these days too, from what I can see.

This will probably be a lower key character based affair. Fewer locations. More immersive. Fewer action set pieces. The anti-SP. That's my guess.

That might be a mistake in my opinion. That way SP was perceived by many they need to go all in this time. 'All in' in the inspired kind of way not the Mendes approach. They just have to make up for what was wrong with SP. The last thing they need is a word of mouth along the lines of "you know this one is a little bit slower and more low key".
    I'm not confident in Craig's ability to pull that off. I think he might be better with low key which is the only reason I'm suggesting it. Flamboyant is best left for someone more naturally inclined that way (hopefully his eventual successor).
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Bond 25 (please call it Shatterhand) should have the bleakest atmosphere of the series imo. If they wanted a change in direction they should have got a new actor. But for now don't blueball us. I want a Bond who's a broken alcoholic givento be a new lease of life when he has the chance to kill his arch nemesis, with a finale that has him swimming past sharks and scaling the walls of a castle built on a volcano to have one last showdown against an insane samurai Blofeld, who's holed up in his suicide garden. That's a very dark premise so it should be a dark film.
    I haven't read YOLT yet, but that sounds like the greatest premise for a final showdown ever.

Granted I'm a huge purveyor of OTT B-movies, but I would be at the edge of my seat with a scenario like that. One of the main complaints I read about SP was its letdown anti-climax finale (though I never had a problem with it), so go balls-to-the-wall with this one I say. Make the third act an opportunity to push Bond further than he's ever been pushed before. Like LTK mixed with SF on crack!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Ive only read Thunders and Majesty's but i do like the sound of that YOLT ending being imagined on screen. Its just that in my head im picturing DC and Waltz going at it with samurai's and i see Dominic Greene with that axe. Bond and Hinx might excite more?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    How much do you think a movie the scale of Dr. No would cost nowadays without marketing? Around 75 million USD?

Less, I think. 60 million?

Guys... Atomic blonde cost like 30 mil or something
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    One question.

Does anyone think that the release date could be brought forward?
    One question.

An interesting question which I have contemplated after Craig's interview. Hmm.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    One question.

An interesting question which I have contemplated after Craig's interview. Hmm.
    Same here. I wish we could have a Summer blockbuster.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Summer 2019?

hehe.
    Summer 2019?

hehe.
    Can't disagree with that.
    Is there a main SW release in Dec 2019? They'd be fools to go up against that juggernaut again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is there a main SW release in Dec 2019? They'd be fools to go up against that juggernaut again.

No, ep IX is out in May.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'm assuming Episode IX will release then.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Wonder Woman 2 is planned for December 2019
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Summer 2019?

hehe.
    Can't disagree with that.

I would love the next Bond film to be released in 2 years flat. Then we can start discussing the big shake up of Bond 26. ;)
    Bond for the guys, Wonder Woman for the ladies. :)
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Creasy47 wrote: »

No, release is in may

No, release is in may

Odd, wonder why that one gets a summer release but the other two were reserved for the end of their respective years. Well that's out of the way in terms of competition, then.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    The mood is a bit depressing round here.

Agreed. Nothing is confirmed editorially, thus far, just a lot of speculation. If there's time to be even mildly optimistic it's now.

Just gonna leave this here to remind all the angst ridden millennials how bad ass Bond is and always will be...

That was a lovely break @RC7, thanks for that!

• edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Awesome video.

No, ep IX is out in May.
    Thanks. So they've thankfully avoided that bullet. They should be able to handle WW, although there will be a lot of buzz for it I'm sure.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

No, release is in may

Odd, wonder why that one gets a summer release but the other two were reserved for the end of their respective years. Well that's out of the way in terms of competition, then.

I think the original release was due in may for the other two as well, at least for IIX. They were delayed due to shooting lengthy.

No, release is in may

I think the original release was due in may for the other two as well, at least for IIX. They were delayed due to shooting lengthy.

Interesting, thanks for that. WW2 could give them a bit of competition, given the first one seemed to be received quite favorably and made a good deal at the box office.
    Lovin' the 50 years of Bond video.
    When is Cameron bringing out his Avatar?

December 18th, 2020. Then again, it's been dated about ten times since the release of the original, so I'll believe it when I see it.

If it does release in 2020, then it's a good thing Bond isn't coming around the same time.

December 18th, 2020. Then again, it's been dated about ten times since the release of the original, so I'll believe it when I see it.

If it does release in 2020, then it's a good thing Bond isn't coming around the same time.
    Great. Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if he delays it again (and I won't lose sleep over it personally if he did).

Great. Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if he delays it again (and I won't lose sleep over it personally if he did).

I'm in agreement with both of those statements. I didn't care for the first one, but I LOVED the 3D effects of it. Only 3D movie I ever saw in theaters that was worth the extra price.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see if the sequel will be the juggernaut that the original was.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    [
    barryt007 wrote: »
    What's the point in calling it The Property of A Lady?

Hopefully nothing to do with bloody Madeleine !!

Blofeld in drag?
    SP's box office was impressive. The decline in the US was precipitous and disconcerting however. Some have excused that by suggesting SF was an anomaly. That's true. It was, but the simple fact is the continuation narrative shouldn't have lost so much % box office stateside. It didn't connect, and I'm quite sure EON will consider that when looking at whether to continue this story so directly 4 years on.

As I've said before, the US still controls the global media narrative. There is a reason Craig announced his return on Colbert.

Indeed. And I think it therefore would be a great idea to predominantly film the 25th Bond film in the US of A. Hasn't been done in a long long time, except for some minor US-cameo's.
    I'm hoping The Property of a Lady is the title for Bond 25; I have wanted it since Bond 23. Shatterhand is probably my second choice.