The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    In your opinion who did Bond love more? Tracy or Vesper?

Yes, I'd say Tracy too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    When did this place turn into DCINB? ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,000
    Murdock wrote: »
    When did this place turn into DCINB? ;)

I think it's more like DCINTPBLSPSTC

Daniel
    Craig
    Is
    Not
    The
    Perfect
    Bond
    Some
    People
    Seem
    To
    Claim

Rolls right off the tongue. :D
    I don't see anyone claim he's perfect but I do get the point. :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    The_Donald wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    In your opinion who did Bond love more? Tracy or Vesper?

Vesper was just someone he shagged to pass the time.

Yeah Vesper is just on a par with Kimberley Jones.

One of the most inane comments I've ever seen on here (and I lived through Christartos).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @The_Donald posted this in a separate thread and I have taken the liberty of sharing his post in this thread, assuming @The_Donald would appreciate some comments on it.
    'I'll extract Le Chiffre in the morning James'. Felix obviously expected Le Chiffre to hang around like a good boy awaiting his arrest. Maybe partake in a last supper with his wife & bald henchman. So he didn't feel the need to capture him immediately or even to keep a watch on him. Without Felix: no Vesper blackmail, no Vesper death, happy retirement for Bond etc etc.

You would think Bond might be slightly peeved at Leiter. Not a bit of it. There's nothing Bond likes more than meeting his old buddy Felix for a beer, & then downing said beer in 5 seconds in order to make a quick getaway from Leiter's CIA chums who are equally keen to destroy Bond's life. But Bond's a generous chap. He can forgive Leiter both for his major role in Vesper's death & for luring him into a death trap. Even congratulating Felix on his promotion. A worthy successor to Greg Beam. He's even more callous & has the uncanny ability to retain people's loyalty no matter what. Blofeld's got nothing on him.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Am I the only one who thinks kissy and christmas jones were the only true loves of bond
    Am I the only one who thinks kissy and christmas jones were the only true loves of bond

Yep....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Christmas Jones???
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    That's rubbish. Clearly, Bond's one true love was Dink.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    That's rubbish. Clearly, Bond's one true love was Dink.
    Nonsense. Bond's true love was always and will always be Verity and anyone who argues against it must require a neurosurgeon.
  • Verity? Why knot?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Verity? Why knot?
    Excellent.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Felix was always Bond's true love. ;-)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    IMO they could have used Jaws in the PTS of FYEO, just to put a cap on 'goofy' Bond. Sort like saying 'ok, he's dead. Can we be serious now?'

I think I would've preferred that than the PTS we got. I know they were going to have Jaws in FYEO marrying Dolly, so I'm sure they could've made something cool of that.

A response to a very old post, but how about a re-creation of the ending of OHMSS with Jaws and Dolly replacing Bond and Tracy? We can have Drax doing a drive-by with a neckbrace and a little frostbite. :)
    Did someone say : Dolly and jaws spinoff?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,469
    Watching QoS on TV right now. M chews out Bond for killing bad guys (Mitchell, Slate, Haines' bodyguard), saying in most cases we need them alive to question them. She did that in CR too. Do you think the writers should have Bond pull back before killing them? I don't think that would be realistic, and sometimes he doesn't have any choice, as bad guys usually don't let up. Dench's M did want to find out who was behind the hired thugs, but do you think the writers overdid it in having her scold Bond like that? Or do you think the writers intentionally push the envelope with kills, perhaps to show he's super ruthless? Part of me also thinks it's some laziness on the part of the writers in QoS, failing to strengthen the story or dialogue in other areas and so having to depend on cheaper ways to build tension. Damn, I wish we had different writers for the next Bond film.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Watching QoS on TV right now. M chews out Bond for killing bad guys (Mitchell, Slate, Haines' bodyguard), saying in most cases we need them alive to question them. She did that in CR too. Do you think the writers should have Bond pull back before killing them? I don't think that would be realistic, and sometimes he doesn't have any choice, as bad guys usually don't let up. Dench's M did want to find out who was behind the hired thugs, but do you think the writers overdid it in having her scold Bond like that? Or do you think the writers intentionally push the envelope with kills, perhaps to show he's super ruthless? Part of me also thinks it's some laziness on the part of the writers in QoS, failing to strengthen the story or dialogue in other areas and so having to depend on cheaper ways to build tension. Damn, I wish we had different writers for the next Bond film.

Most of the time he has no choice. Of the 3 you mention only Haines bodyguard was not a fight to the death, and at that point Bond didn't know who he was, and had already asked him for information under threat of death. If he wasn't going to speak then, very unlikely he would speak once captured and safe in a cell.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah, the point was Bond wasn't killing everyone including the bodyguard, Mathis.
    The writing was fine. M lashed out with the information on hand, OO7 showed the self-control to not go into denial mode spilling the beans and putting his boss on the spot. He gives her deniability while he does his dirty job on the ground. There's a logic to it and it's good for the story.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    If Daniel Craig's Bond only met Blofeld after the events of Skyfall, who's this bloke?

007_Legends_-_Blofeld_3.jpg
    Minion wrote: »
    If Daniel Craig's Bond only met Blofeld after the events of Skyfall, who's this bloke?

007_Legends_-_Blofeld_3.jpg

Blofeld has an identical but retarded step brother that has been hiding in his shadow, "because he wasnt good enough". But he has come out and has more rage than ever. Were calling this one :stepbrother my name is Barbara and I inherited a company i dont want - gate
    Bond dreamed he fought Terry O'Quinn.
    latest?cb=20101001170404
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Could someone please tell me how long it took the scriptwriters to write SP?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,138
    stag wrote: »

It was still continuing to be written right through filming, if you are referring to the original source story Logan wrote,

The Logan "dated shooting script" was finished by October 2014 and was 129 pages. Purvis and Wade then had to tidy it up (June 2015), Jez Butterworth came in just before filming to add some humour. It is believed Logan was given the green light to the next Bond film after Skyfall shortly after Skyfall's release. So it took Logan around 18 Month to 2 years to write the initial story.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

It was still continuing to be written right through filming, if you are referring to the original source story Logan wrote,

The Logan "dated shooting script" was finished by October 2014 and was 129 pages. Purvis and Wade then had to tidy it up (June 2015), Jez Butterworth came in just before filming to add some humour. It is believed Logan was given the green light to the next Bond film after Skyfall shortly after Skyfall's release. So it took Logan around 18 Month to 2 years to write the initial story.

The simpler answer is about 5mins 27secs and that includes the time it took to nip to Costa for a caramel macchiato halfway through.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

The simpler answer is about 5mins 27secs and that includes the time it took to nip to Costa for a caramel macchiato halfway through.

Well that brings me neatly onto my second point. It took one hell of a long time to produce something that plays out like it has been scribbled down during the morning commute.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Does LTK feel cheap to you?

Well that brings me neatly onto my second point. It took one hell of a long time to produce something that plays out like it has been scribbled down during the morning commute.
    P+W essentially rewrote the entire script from scratch in merely a few months. Say what you want about the end product, but the infamous writing duo completely saved the film from near-destruction. Logan's story was abysmal.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

It's very late 80s, early 90s style.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,000

Cheap, un-Bondian, and just plain bad. I may need to revisit it at some point though as I've only seen it once.