The James Bond Questions Thread

1202203204205206208»

Comments

• JonasTJonasT Washington
    edited March 26 Posts: 8
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    JonasT wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the place to ask an air-date related question so I wont ask the actual question out of courtesy, just for directions.
    Thanks.

Yes, you can certainly go ahead and ask your question here. This is a general Bond films questions thread.

Welcome aboard by the way, @JonasT. :)

Thanks
    Its just a query about whether anyone can confirm the films ran on Sky in the summer of 1995. Memories place it there and I have a tape with the end of Octopussy thats followed by a promo for the debut of Malice (July29) and the Premier League for 95/96 - am unable at present to confirm if all that is one recording.
    Cant find any info to back that up even in a few TV Mags from around the time.

Once again, apoligies if this is the wrong thread for that sort of question.
    Why did you Q have to set up a huge shop where Bond went too? It's not like Bond needed all those gadgets for his mission. Q only gave him a handle fill of things
  • Questions about The Living Daylights:
    Why does it matter so much that Koskov is making money on the side? Of course the Russians would be mad if they knew he was smuggling opium into their country, but they don't know that.
    Also; why does Pushkin have the ability to see Whittaker's account not moving? Nevermind the fact that it's horrible business practice to allow the customer to see both your costs and your supplier, shouldn't Pushkin see the money being exchanged for diamonds?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Why did you Q have to set up a huge shop where Bond went too? It's not like Bond needed all those gadgets for his mission. Q only gave him a handle fill of things
    Probably for other agents. Q is responsible for supplying all of MI6 so it makes sense for him to have a huge workshop. Even if that wasn't the case, Q still needs a big, sturdy room to design and test future gadgets.
    Also since Q-branch handles vehicles, there's a need for space to store all of them
    As for his setting up a warehouse wherever Bond goes outside of London, that's because : a) It's more practical to get gadgets on the mission location rather that have them shipped from London, and b) to be able to put together gadgets with local colour (arab for Egypt, South American for Argentina, India, for India, and even Scottich for Scotland in case that referendum had worked).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Sorry @JonasT I am of no use to you being on the North American side of things. Welcome to the community!

The Living Daylights has a convoluted plot. @Reflsin2bourbons No country would want it's high ranking military leaders involved in side businesses. It could compromise them, could lead to a black mail which would then give them the ability to damage their own country.

Pushkin isn't in business with Whitaker I don't believe. He is likely monitoring the account more from a military intelligence angle than from a business angle.

• BigglesworthBigglesworth Bowling Green, KY
    Anyone know who this actress is, from Goldfinger?
    Pilot5b.jpg

She was one of Pussy Galore's five Flying Circus pilots, but I'm not sure it was the same actress in the cockpit who portrayed the role in the airfield scene:
    Pilot5a.jpg

The release script calls this person 'Jane,' which could be an actress name or a character name. Jane Holland appears in a lot of pre-production publicity photos, and she resembles the airfield actress (maybe with dyed hair):
    Holland.jpg

Jane Murdoch ALSO appears in pre-production publicity, and maybe she resembles the cockpit actress?
    Murdoch.jpg

Anyone know the answer?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited April 23 Posts: 14,876
    This is rather an odd one for me, as it’s a Bond film I more often than not will stick up for and defend till my last breath!
    I’m talking Octopussy.
    It occurred to me earlier whilst I was getting ready for work.
    After Bond has discovered the bomb threat at the US air base, had his tussle aboard the train, killed Grishka and been picked up by the German couple in the Beetle, and then stealing the uber cool Alfa Romeo GTV6, how did Bond know the way to the US air base?

It’s not like we had sat nav or gps back then.
    At a guess : he read the signs on the road. After all, it's not as if that base was a top secet installation.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited April 23 Posts: 565
    Can anyone tell me where this image of Brosnan originated?

Screenshot-3222.png

I saw it a while ago but just found it again. Taken from a YouTube thumbnail hence the rounded shape.

The first time I saw it, someone claimed it was a rare publicity shot taken for TLD. I have no idea if that's true or not. It could easily be a less commonly used shot for GE or TND, though you'll notice Brosnan is holding what appears to be the same pistol that was featured in the FRWL publicity shots (which he didn't in any of the shots I've seen for the former two films), and he does look a little bit younger. Could just be a photoshop job of course. I put it into Google Lens but came up with nothing, and like I said, this is only the second time I've seen it, so any information would be much appreciated.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 23 Posts: 13,934
    An LP.08 Luger pistol by the looks of it, which I don't recognize as a Bond firearm but could be.

Brosnan's hair is from 1992 just as I estimated (I did), and just look at this magazine cover, it's the same hair, right down to the strand, but it's been edited, a bit shorter over the right eyebrow. Actually, most of the face down to and including the nose is from this photo. Suspicious vibe here, I don't like it.

4_27_92_750x1000-5149ac9d11134b71b792b3c7496b05fb.jpg
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited April 23 Posts: 565
    Yes, clearly the same picture, although the mouth looks like it's been edited. Thanks @QBranch.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @George_Kaplan No worries mate, I just phoned Pierce and asked him.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Anyone know who this actress is, from Goldfinger?
    Pilot5b.jpg

She was one of Pussy Galore's five Flying Circus pilots, but I'm not sure it was the same actress in the cockpit who portrayed the role in the airfield scene:
    Pilot5a.jpg

The release script calls this person 'Jane,' which could be an actress name or a character name. Jane Holland appears in a lot of pre-production publicity photos, and she resembles the airfield actress (maybe with dyed hair):
    Holland.jpg

Jane Murdoch ALSO appears in pre-production publicity, and maybe she resembles the cockpit actress?
    Murdoch.jpg

Anyone know the answer?

Marian Collins:

aYnnucd.jpeg

24hkmKqx0ChGKqKHRGPHuLHWOlb.jpg

And, guess what, here she is at the Fontainebleau Hotel... Was Jill Masterson a member of the Champagne Section and she was with her?? :)

ItMfufS.jpeg

Jane Murdoch and Jane Holland were another members of the Flying Circus, but they were not in the picture!.

Actually, the first time we see the pipers was shot in Kentucky, but the landing was shot in Northolt, so there were different actresses!

And what happened here?

px8VIRV.jpeg

These are promo pictures before they put their blonde wigs and with Bond girls that were replaced in the movie. Maisie Farrell, Jane Holland and Jane Murdoch are in those pictures but not in the film.

All this info and much more is in this Archivo 007 magazine ;)

PORTADA13-scaled.jpg

https://archivo007.com/magazine/#
    In LALD Bond uses Morse code to send a message. Is it for Quarrel Jr?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 23 Posts: 14,956
    "Rosie Carver, meet the man who shares my hairbrush"

c709c38d-fdfd-4a14-b586-d8427914ccd0_screenshot.jpg
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Benny wrote: »
    This is rather an odd one for me, as it’s a Bond film I more often than not will stick up for and defend till my last breath!
    I’m talking Octopussy.
    After Bond has discovered the bomb threat at the US air base, had his tussle aboard the train, killed Grishka and been picked up by the German couple in the Beetle, and then stealing the uber cool Alfa Romeo GTV6, how did Bond know the way to the US air base?

I hadn't thought of that at all but you are right. Seems a reach that Bond would know the way to a US Air base. Things that make you go hmmmm.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    thedove wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I’m talking Octopussy.

I hadn't thought of that at all but you are right. Seems a reach that Bond would know the way to a US Air base. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I disagree completely. I remember the days with several hundred thousand U.S. troops stationed in Germany quite well, and everywhere on the Autobahn there were signs directing you to U.S. armed forces barracks in the vicinity. Bond knew it would be Feldstadt (disregarding that it doesn't exist in reality), and even if his expertise didn't extend to German geography as much as it did to lepidoptery, a simple road map or atlas would be enough to find out where the town is, and apparently there is an Autobahn leading to it. I think there is even a direction sign to the AFB at the Autobahn exit in Octopussy (which is in Berlin in reality). I'm pretty sure that I would have found the place, just like I would find Ramstein AFB without a navi if I tried after just looking at a map for two minutes before I leave home to go there.