The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    "Mad dog, new tricks."
    :))
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I heard a while ago that the Aston Martin Vanquish in DAD was actually a Ford Mustang with a Vanquish body on it. Is this true? If so, why?
    All I heard was that the special effects team had to replace the original V12 motor for a V8 to make place for the front rockets.
    Gerard wrote: »
    All I heard was that the special effects team had to replace the original V12 motor for a V8 to make place for the front rockets.

That makes sense. I believe I may have misunderstood the phrasing in this video, which is talking about a replica of the DAD Vanquish;

At 2:05 he says: "But it's not really an Aston Martin, at least, not on a technical level. The reason it feels dated is because it's built on a new edge Ford mustang platform, and is powered by a supercharged 4.6 liter V8, as it was in the movie." I had always understood that the car in the video was only a replica, but the wording makes it sound as though "as it was in the movie" applies to the entire preceding statement, and not just "powered by a 4.6 liter V8".
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    When compared with the DB10, that car seems very dated now.

But better looking, IMO.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

But better looking, IMO.
    Definitely.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

But better looking, IMO.
    Definitely.
    One of the nicest cars ever produced, IMO.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Was there any explanation/word of God mention on why they radically changed Blofeld's appearance in DAF comparatively to his previous two incarnations?

You know, people, for several years I've been making my own retellings of Bond movies featuring manga characters and using elements from the screenplays, the novels, references to the original comics and some fantasy added. The main differences here is that I use various agents depending on the mission (no codename trash) and sometimes the "Bond girl" is another operative which happens to be on a relationship with the male agent and sometimes plays Bond's original feats herself... OK, I'm getting too much into this.

Case in point, when I was adapting YOLT, OHMSS, DAF and FYEO, I decided to use the codename thing on Blofeld: The first one, an Eastern European man, runs away on YOLT and then decides to resign as the leader of ORTEGA (my parody of SPECTRE) and retires to live a quiet life. His successor is a former American mobster (after watching Savalas on Violent City I decided to take this angle) who doesn't actually fool the protagonist - his attitude, accent and way to hold a cigarette (a thing I got from The Usual Suspects - and who at the end has to move out after the bobleigh incident renders him paraplegic. He's succeeded by a megalomaniac English nobleman (my take on Grey) who has no clue about how to act villanous and ends up blown away. The American from OHMSS then tries a desperate attempt to kill one of the protagonist agents on FYEO, but he ends up thrown in the chimney like the original one.

You see, everybody has his/her own ideas XD
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    An interesting way of tying it all together, certainly, @bigladiesman.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    What the heck is this painting that pops up in M's office nearly every single film from 1962-1989?

On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0313.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Taking a look around, I notice that @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and some others addressed it on another thread as connecting the HMS Victory to old and new.

Very interesting stuff.

https://mi6community.com/discussion/5687/little-things-in-bond-movies-you-didnt-notice-before/p4

jibridgland.blogspot.com/2012/11/skyfall-and-painting-in-ms-office.html
    Continuing a discussion from the B25 thread:

Was there a rumor about TWINE pre-release that it would involve Bond quitting MI6 and/or protecting the daughter of a friend?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t remember anything like that, but the papers reported that Q was quitting, and that led Bond to seek psychological help.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Was there a rumor about TWINE pre-release that it would involve Bond quitting MI6 and/or protecting the daughter of a friend?

I'd just like to add that, in fact, the plot synopsis I read said Bond became the daughter's bodyguard.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Well... according to Some Kind of Hero: The Remarkable Story of the James Bond Films (which imo should be in every fan's book collection:

Across the meetings {Purvis and Wade] suggested a slew of ideas, including 'a villain who wants to play russian roulette with the earth by blowing up the moon and seeing where the pieces land, a topical plot involving French nuclear weapons testing, and a genetically targeted virus that would kill one in ten people
    Oh boy! The moon thing would have been awful.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Makes Icarus look tame by comparison.
    Mallory wrote: »

Well... according to Some Kind of Hero: The Remarkable Story of the James Bond Films (which imo should be in every fan's book collection:

Across the meetings {Purvis and Wade] suggested a slew of ideas, including 'a villain who wants to play russian roulette with the earth by blowing up the moon and seeing where the pieces land, a topical plot involving French nuclear weapons testing, and a genetically targeted virus that would kill one in ten people

Yikes!
    Oh boy! The moon thing would have been awful.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Makes Icarus look tame by comparison.

No kidding. There's plots to Bond video games that would have been better.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Moonbreaker?
    Plot hole in CR: Leiter tells Bond he will capture Le Chiffre after the card game but clearly he does not. No explanation is given and next in QOS Bond should be pissed at him as he cost him everything, but no mention of it again.
    The_Donald wrote: »
    Plot hole in CR: Leiter tells Bond he will capture Le Chiffre after the card game but clearly he does not. No explanation is given and next in QOS Bond should be pissed at him as he cost him everything, but no mention of it again.

They said they'll extract him in the morning. He may have had to receive green light from Langley before doing anything.

They said they'll extract him in the morning. He may have had to receive green light from Langley before doing anything.

So he just expects Le Chiffre to hang around waiting to be shot or arrested? If Le Chiffre gave him the slip somehow some follow up would have been nice, and Bond should have been angry at him.
    It plays into the uncertainty Le Chiffre introduces with his comment your friend Mathis...is really my friend Mathis. Resolved in the next film. So the lesson is you can't trust Le Chiffre.
    Since Mathis was questioned using torture I'm thinking Bond doesn't have a leg to stand on. He chose poorly and was wrong.

So he just expects Le Chiffre to hang around waiting to be shot or arrested? If Le Chiffre gave him the slip somehow some follow up would have been nice, and Bond should have been angry at him.

No he does not but these things can take time in a bureaucracy. Especially since he's not exactly in American territory with plenty of resources to ho by. Le Chiffre had henchmen, connections, things to bypass.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,036
    It's also set up by MI6's plan, with M saying that by bankrupting Le Chiffre he will have nowhere to run.
    But of course he did.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It plays into the uncertainty Le Chiffre introduces with his comment your friend Mathis...is really my friend Mathis. Resolved in the next film. So the lesson is you can't trust Le Chiffre.
    Since Mathis was questioned using torture I'm thinking Bond doesn't have a leg to stand on. He chose poorly and was wrong.

Brace yourself chaps because a stunning idea has occurred to me!!!

What if the reason is that Felix is a traitor has worked for SPECTRE all along!? Now tell me that isn't a great idea?

Explains why he wouldn't capture Le Chiffre. Also we can have a retcon scene with Felix explaining to Bond that basically the whole plot of QOS was just to disgrace Greg Beam so Felix could work his way up to the next level in the CIA. Could even get Andrew Scott back for a flashback scene where him, Felix and Blofeld discuss how they will infiltrate MI6 and the CIA.
    Could even have tje revelation that Andrew Bond once went to America and shagged a black woman so Felix actually turns out to be Bond's brother from another mother.

This is so good in fact Mendes might sign on again to see the final thrilling drama play out.

I think I might just be a screenwriting genius on a par with P&W!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Careless talk costs us a dire Bond film, @TheWizardOfIce! You should be more careful in future. Purvis and Wade could be reading this thread you know!

large_000000.jpg
    In your opinion who did Bond love more? Tracy or Vesper?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    In your opinion who did Bond love more? Tracy or Vesper?

Tracy of course. Vesper was just someone he shagged to pass the time.