The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Blofeld did not change any more drastically than Leiter. I think the various directors just did not care so much about what had come before.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    There is the plastic surgery angle. Not just duplicates, but to change Blofeld's appearance because Bond saw him in the previous film.

A concern that lasts several minutes of screen time.

I know it can be rationa7lized easily in universe but was there any word later from the people regarding Blofeld's change of appearance?

Well he did of course use plastic surgery in the Bond novels but I've never heard any rationale for it. I don't think that any really exists, sadly. After Savalas, they didn't seem to put too much thought into it!
    Blofeld did not change any more drastically than Leiter. I think the various directors just did not care so much about what had come before.

There was some kind of consistency in the previous two movies though.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    A literary Bond question. At what age do members think that James Bond would have been forced to retire from the 00 section?
    stag wrote: »
    A literary Bond question. At what age do members think that James Bond would have been forced to retire from the 00 section?

Fleming is very clear: 45.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Never.

But realistically, a double-oh reaching 50 would be a surprise and they might be drummed out at that point. Hopefully it would go back to the individual and how useful they still were. Even for 'suicide' missions, but Bond would disappoint them on that count.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

I don't remember seeing that in the books - but it have been a long time since I read them. Could you please tell me where it was mentioned? Or did Fleming make the comment in an interview?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Never.

But realistically, a double-oh reaching 50 would be a surprise and they might be drummed out at that point. Hopefully it would go back to the individual and how useful they still were. Even for 'suicide' missions, but Bond would disappoint them on that count.

Not a bad idea at that. Kind of like YOLT but with a more stable Bond.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 17,810

I don't remember seeing that in the books - but it have been a long time since I read them. Could you please tell me where it was mentioned? Or did Fleming make the comment in an interview?

See Fleming's Moonraker in the early chapters. Fleming goes into detail on all of this and Bond's home life at his flat off the King's Road in Chelsea as well.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

So it was over for Roger before it even started?

MR most certainly, others I am not certain if and if so which one.

So it was over for Roger before it even started?

To be fair, Moore looked far younger than his age, at least until FYEO.
    Fleming writes the mandatory 00 retirement age as 45, which for Bond in MR did seem like a long way off.
    But towards the end , Fleming plays with Bond's age to keep him under 45.
    timmer wrote: »
    Fleming writes the mandatory 00 retirement age as 45, which for Bond in MR did seem like a long way off.
    But towards the end , Fleming plays with Bond's age to keep him under 45.

Yes, in the YOLT novel Obit from The Times.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Keep in mind Fleming was 60 years ago. The standards have changed a lot since then, and people at 45 are a lot more healthier and agile than the 45 year olds of the old days. Bond can be 55 and still be in his prime (but slightly declining) today.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Keep in mind Fleming was 60 years ago. The standards have changed a lot since then, and people at 45 are a lot more healthier and agile than the 45 year olds of the old days. Bond can be 55 and still be in his prime (but slightly declining) today.
    Great point.
    The above is true @devlin but still I think you want mature young guys in their fearless prime doing the blunt instrument work that the 00 section does.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    People are a lot healthier all around, not just the good guys. Put a 55 year old up against a 35 year old, you're still gonna get the same result whether it's 1953 or 2017.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    People are a lot healthier all around, not just the good guys. Put a 55 year old up against a 35 year old, you're still gonna get the same result whether it's 1953 or 2017.

So that's like putting Craig up against Turner. :p
    We'll still get the same result with Craig. If it ain't broke then why fix it. ;)
    This belongs to the casting thread but I too would rather cast a younger actor as Bond. Even now having an operative in his fifties is pushing it and Bond is meant to be in his prime. Also with the delays between films nowadays I find it preferable to have someone who can play the role for longer. Although the actors suggested seem all to have baby faces which I find utterly depressing.
    This belongs to the casting thread but I too would rather cast a younger actor as Bond. Even now having an operative in his fifties is pushing it and Bond is meant to be in his prime. Also with the delays between films nowadays I find it preferable to have someone who can play the role for longer. Although the actors suggested seem all to have baby faces which I find utterly depressing.
    +1
    TBH I don't care what age The actor is playing Bond as long as the story fits his age
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed.
    As long as Bond looks mature and manly, and not some pretty boy in a tight suit, I'm game.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    In the video embedded here:

http://www.gq.com/story/conor-mcgregor-will-fight-floyd-mayweather-on-august-26?mbid=social_facebook

McGregor says "James Bond had a quote, '...when you enter a room, be civil to everybody, but have a plan to kill each and every one of them'.

Was this ever actually a James Bond quote, and if so, where from?

Or has McGregor just been punched a few too many times in the head?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    TBH I don't care what age The actor is playing Bond as long as the story fits his age

#granpa James Bond?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

http://www.gq.com/story/conor-mcgregor-will-fight-floyd-mayweather-on-august-26?mbid=social_facebook

McGregor says "James Bond had a quote, '...when you enter a room, be civil to everybody, but have a plan to kill each and every one of them'.

Never heard it before. He must have just made it up.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423

Never heard it before. He must have just made it up.
    He must've lifted it up from an internet meme and thought it was an actual quote.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2017 Posts: 7,976
    A short enwuiry on the good ol'Internet comes up with:
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

spoken by James ........ Mattis.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A short enwuiry on the good ol'Internet comes up with:
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

spoken by James ........ Mattis.

General Mattis confirmed as the next James Bond.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    "Mad dog, new tricks."