No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    FoxRox wrote: »
    But there's an elephant in one picture!!

Just kidding

I'm sure you guys noticed former Bond Girl (and close friend to Barbara) Carole Ashby in one of the photos. ;)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't know what people see in Hardy. The best I could see him in a Bond film is as a charismatic thug. He doesn't have that sophisticated Etonian swagger whatsoever. He's charismatic, sure. But, he's no Bond.

Better make that two. I think he'd make an intimidating henchman, but he's no Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Here is an interview with Broccoli Jr. It could shed some light.

http://williamdickersonfilmmaker.com/the-interview-a-to-z-with-angelica-zollo/

Who are some of your artistic inspirations and role models? And why?
    ---
    "There are so many! My parents are both film and theatre producers and my grandparents also were in film, writing and acting. I am constantly in awe of their hard work and passion for telling stories. I am inspired by artists who aren’t afraid to use their own voice to speak about things that are not necessarily talked about or are difficult. There are also so many incredible female storytellers that have important stories to tell. Not enough of them are heard.

I am constantly watching, reading and listening. I watch loads of old films, and try to watch as much as I can. To name a few new and old: Agnes Varda, Billy Wilder, David Lean, Mike Nichols, William Wyler, George Cukor, Alan Parker, Hugh Hudson, Francis Ford Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Susane Bier, Andrea Arnold, Howard Hawkes, Spike Jonze, Derek Cianfrance, Hal Ashby, Frank Capra, Ingmar Bergman, Woody Allen, Luis Bunuel, John Cassavetes, Chantal Ackerman, Spike Lee, Xavier Dolan, the list goes on and on. I know I have forgotten so many!
    "
    ---
    No mention of old Bond films? Disappointing.

As much as I love the Bond movies they are no pieces of art (nor were they ever intended to be.)
    Agreed. I would have still liked to have read something about Bond in her interview, given we were considering her interest in the franchise going forward. She seems more Indie to me.
    I don't know what people see in Hardy. The best I could see him in a Bond film is as a charismatic thug. He doesn't have that sophisticated Etonian swagger whatsoever. He's charismatic, sure. But, he's no Bond.

Thumbs up. Both of them!
    I think he has as much if not more swagger than Craig. It doesn't mean he's my first preference for Bond, but I don't think he's any more of a 'thug'.

I don't doubt his swagger. It's his lack of class I find troubling.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Here is an interview with Broccoli Jr. It could shed some light.

http://williamdickersonfilmmaker.com/the-interview-a-to-z-with-angelica-zollo/

Who are some of your artistic inspirations and role models? And why?
    ---
    "There are so many! My parents are both film and theatre producers and my grandparents also were in film, writing and acting. I am constantly in awe of their hard work and passion for telling stories. I am inspired by artists who aren’t afraid to use their own voice to speak about things that are not necessarily talked about or are difficult. There are also so many incredible female storytellers that have important stories to tell. Not enough of them are heard.

I am constantly watching, reading and listening. I watch loads of old films, and try to watch as much as I can. To name a few new and old: Agnes Varda, Billy Wilder, David Lean, Mike Nichols, William Wyler, George Cukor, Alan Parker, Hugh Hudson, Francis Ford Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Susane Bier, Andrea Arnold, Howard Hawkes, Spike Jonze, Derek Cianfrance, Hal Ashby, Frank Capra, Ingmar Bergman, Woody Allen, Luis Bunuel, John Cassavetes, Chantal Ackerman, Spike Lee, Xavier Dolan, the list goes on and on. I know I have forgotten so many!
    "
    ---
    No mention of old Bond films? Disappointing.

As much as I love the Bond movies they are no pieces of art (nor were they ever intended to be.)
    Agreed. I would have still liked to have read something about Bond in her interview, given we were considering her interest in the franchise going forward. She seems more Indie to me.

Thumbs up. Both of them!
    I think he has as much if not more swagger than Craig. It doesn't mean he's my first preference for Bond, but I don't think he's any more of a 'thug'.

I don't doubt his swagger. It's his lack of class I find troubling.
    Again, I can't tell the difference from Craig. Hardy has never been cast in a role like Bond, and he 'owns' every disparate role he plays in a chameleon-like fashion. The man can definitely do it, based on what I've seen of his acting capabilities to date.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, to be fair, those roles are tailored for his ranges. Bond is not something he'd excel at, in the slightest.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 3,164
    DUN DUN DUN. Reported director shortlist from Deadline (no, not some tabloid)

http://deadline.com/2017/07/james-bond-director-short-list-yann-demange-denis-villenueve-david-mackenzie-1202136402/

Yann Demange, Denis Villenueve (holy crap PLEASE HAPPEN) and David MacKenzie (Hell or High Water is great, he'd be a great choice)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm absolutely fine with the latter two - not familiar with Demange's work. Villeneuve helming Bond has been a dream of mine for years now. They'd be stupid to let that opportunity pass.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If Villeneuve ends up helming B25 then there's a fair chance I'll die of a heart attack prior to seeing the end product.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely fine with the latter two - not familiar with Demange's work. Villeneuve helming Bond has been a dream of mine for years now. They'd be stupid to let that opportunity pass.

Yes...
    The article also states that they've known for months that Craig would return to finish out his deal with another film.
    Demange would do a fantastic job, loved 71 (was just suggesting Jack O Connell for Bond the other day actually) and Top Boy was very good. Really enjoyed Hell Or High Water too. Don't think I've seen anything of Villenueve's.

From that list Demange would be my favourite choice. He's British which isn't a necessity at all but Bond is a cultural institution over here, he's bound to at least have seen a couple on ITV over the years, so it always helps. And he's very good. 71 was a fantastic thriller, concise to the point and very intense. MacKenzie seems very talented too though. I haven't seen any Villenueve films but I have heard very good things to be fair.

All in all that seems like a very good shortlist. I'm really not sure why their standards are so high when it comes to the directors now but Purvis and Wade have somehow managed to stay on as long as they have.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Villeneuve is quite versatile and capable of going gritty as well as abstract. If he wants it, he should get it. I'd be ok with the other two as well. Anything to shake this puppy up.
    @thelivingroyale, you should get around to rectifying the fact that you've yet to see a Villeneuve film! Check out 'Sicario' or 'Prisoners' and see what you think.

I wonder, then, if Deakins would return if Villeneuve was hired, since they seem to be a package deal.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Either of those 3 would be fine in my book, but isn't Villeneuve set to helm a new version of Dune?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited July 2017 Posts: 754
    Whatever Villeneuve wants, give him! The other two would be more wild cards, though I too really liked '71 and HOHW.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Villeneuve is my Nº 1 choice.
  • RC7RC7
    Been touting Demange for years.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I wonder if they will be the only ones writing
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Villeneuve is my Nº 1 choice.
    Mine as well.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Seems a waste to have these directors with a P+W script, though.
    Variety chimes in - Demange is frontrunner, and WB closest to landing the distribution
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/
    I heard that too re Villeneuve, but that wud be 3 scifi in a row. He may want a break!
    Is Yann Demange the Director of '71 with Jack O'Connell? If so then he wud be a great pick. That was an excellent thriller.
    Better suited then Soderbergh?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    antovolk wrote: »
    Variety chimes in - Demange is frontrunner, and WB closest to landing the distribution
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/

WB means Nolan in future.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Better suited then Soderbergh?

SS prob wants more creative control. For this one assuming it's a Craig era finale, either MacKenzie or Yann (who actually seems to indeed be frontrunner) would be ideal as they're more journeymen. Although Denis JUST came off BR2049 so he knows how to pick up someone else's revered project and respect it.
    if the script is good enough Mendes could probably pull together another critical hit like skyfall
    Well if one wants to stir up the succession rumors, both Demange and Mackenzie have made films with Jack O' Connell :p
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

A director can get great things out of an actor, as Young demonstrated with Connery. So anything is possible with anyone.

Not with anyone, though.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 2,081
    jake24 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Where's this sudden panic that EON is going to sell the rights coming from? They're sitting on one of the most secure franchises in the world. Why sell?

So was George Lucas with Star Wars. For him, $4 billion ($2 billion in cash and $2 billion in Disney stock) convinced him to sell.

I'm not saying the Broccoli-Wilson clan will sell. I'm just saying everybody has a price. For some the price is a LOT.
    Babs has been on record as saying "for the time being" she can't see making a Bond film without Craig. Well, Craig won't be around forever. So if she still feels that way after he's gone, there's a reason to sell.

In itself a ridiculous statement,especially from the point of view of a producer, who is practically telling his star: "demand whatever you want I pay it and be glad for it "
    Wouldn't have happened to her father!

Sorry I have to correct you, she was answering a question on whether a woman should play Bond, while promoting Spectre

“It's like Hamlet, who has been played by a variety of different people, including women. So presumably Bond could be.

“But do I want to be making a Bond film without Daniel Craig? No, absolutely not!

“He's so integral to the whole process that I'm in denial about anyone else playing Bond. Genuinely.”

She didn't really want to discuss a future beyond Craig as quite rightly in her eyes Craig returned Bond to it's Golden Era of global interest. I don't think Dan is driven by money, in fact he said himself Bond has made him wealthy and given him freedom to make choices on the creative aspects alone, and what takes his interest. Money won't be what drives Craig to return. It will be whether the story is good, is the supporting cast good, and whether the Director is someone he's wanted to work with.

So? The correct answer to that would have been:" Ian Fleming conceived James bond as a man. Period. "

Also, I find it hard highly amusing how many people here on this forum talk about Craig as if they happen to know him. What do you know what money means to him or not? When he made his in famous remark about slashing his wrist he explicitly even said 'if I come back it would only because of the money'. And please don't tell me this "that's just his super dry super whit, that you just don't understand.
    He also stated that if he were to stop doing it, he's miss it terribly, because [being Bond] is like nothing else.

Let's not forget when he blatantly stated that he has "genuinely never done a job for the money" when asked by Graham Norton how much money they would have to throw at him in order for him to return.

At the end of the day, it's your choice whether you want to believe that Craig respects the franchise and the role or if he couldn't give two sh*ts about it. If you choose to believe the latter, I certainly won't stop you.

He's not from a rich background, so if he has really never done a job (an acting job I presume) for the money he's very lucky, I'm pretty sure most actors have had to. Not that I have any reason to assume he'd now do a job just for the money - he's a millionaire, so that tends to change things for most people (while some never seem to have "enough" of the stuff).
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Dont be surprised if he is announced
    Risico007 wrote: »
    =bg= wrote: »
    Guys, The NY Times is reporting it. Craig is coming back.

Surprised at the Times. Did EON say DC was back? No. Til then, it's just speculation. No confirmation. No story here.

Wait I thought Aidan Turner was the new James Bond