No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,110
    I think its worth bringing Mendes back just to prove the "Fifth Craig film will be a surefure hit" hypothesis has some flaws to it. We could have left well enough alone and Craig would have gone down as a good Bond. But 4 films in 10 years wasn't good enough, and now its time for Mendes to work his magic and create the masterpiece swansong I've been hearing so much about. ;)

But seriously, I'm not entirely sure why we're worried about who is directing Bond 25 if Craig is back with P+W typing away. I mean, we have the longest era ever, writers who have been penning these scripts for 2 decades and gotten it right once (with the help of another writer and the benefits of Flemings novel to work from), we know Bond actors tenures never end well anyway (or they are cut short), and on top of that we have an actor and producers who don't seem that inspired about returning. I just don't see what a change of director could do to help this situation, like changing one (admittedly important) part of the picture will suddenly create a masterpiece from mediocrity. Bond 25 is doomed to be another mess IMO, but it could be a hilarious "so bad it's good" mess in the style of DAF or DAD if Mendes returns.
    What worries me the most about these rumours that after Bond #25, EON Productions (Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson) want to sell the Bond franchise to a Chinese or Qatarian hedgefund. This is what happened to many other franchises like "Star Trek" and "Mission: Impossible". For instance China Movie Channel and Alibaba Pictures already have considerably large shares in these franchises and are heavily co-financing these films. Result is, that immediately the (Chinese) state becomes part of those franchises, blurring all differences between a state-run entity and a private company. On top of that, by luring such investors, your franchise is also more prone to censorship than it already is...

I hope the rumours stay rumours and that Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson think twice before selling a family company. They both have enough offspring to manage the Bond franchise on their behalf. Greg Wilson is already doing that. I just hope he gets more involved in it and slow downs his pursuit of alternative music with his weird synthesizer machines and subsequent global tours.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    What worries me the most about these rumours that after Bond #25, EON Productions (Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson) want to sell the Bond franchise to a Chinese or Qatarian hedgefund. This is what happened to many other franchises like "Star Trek" and "Mission: Impossible". For instance China Movie Channel and Alibaba Pictures already have considerably large shares in these franchises and are heavily co-financing these films. Result is, that immediately the (Chinese) state becomes part of those franchises, blurring all differences between a state-run entity and a private company. On top of that, by luring such investors, your franchise is also more prone to censorship than it already is...

I hope the rumours stay rumours and that Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson think twice before selling a family company. They both have enough offspring to manage the Bond franchise on their behalf. Greg Wilson is already doing that. I just hope he gets more involved in it and slow downs his pursuit of alternative music with his weird synthesizer machines and subsequent global tours.

Synthesizer machines and worldtours?? I guess that's someone else named Greg Wilson.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    JWPepper wrote: »

Synthesizer machines and worldtours?? I guess that's someone else named Greg Wilson.
    Nope, it's the same guy.
    bondjames wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Where's this sudden panic that EON is going to sell the rights coming from? They're sitting on one of the most secure franchises in the world. Why sell?

So was George Lucas with Star Wars. For him, $4 billion ($2 billion in cash and $2 billion in Disney stock) convinced him to sell.

I'm not saying the Broccoli-Wilson clan will sell. I'm just saying everybody has a price. For some the price is a LOT.
    Babs has been on record as saying "for the time being" she can't see making a Bond film without Craig. Well, Craig won't be around forever. So if she still feels that way after he's gone, there's a reason to sell.

In itself a ridiculous statement,especially from the point of view of a producer, who is practically telling his star: "demand whatever you want I pay it and be glad for it "
    Wouldn't have happened to her father!

Sorry I have to correct you, she was answering a question on whether a woman should play Bond, while promoting Spectre

“It's like Hamlet, who has been played by a variety of different people, including women. So presumably Bond could be.

“But do I want to be making a Bond film without Daniel Craig? No, absolutely not!

“He's so integral to the whole process that I'm in denial about anyone else playing Bond. Genuinely.”

She didn't really want to discuss a future beyond Craig as quite rightly in her eyes Craig returned Bond to it's Golden Era of global interest. I don't think Dan is driven by money, in fact he said himself Bond has made him wealthy and given him freedom to make choices on the creative aspects alone, and what takes his interest. Money won't be what drives Craig to return. It will be whether the story is good, is the supporting cast good, and whether the Director is someone he's wanted to work with.

So? The correct answer to that would have been:" Ian Fleming conceived James bond as a man. Period. "

Also, I find it hard highly amusing how many people here on this forum talk about Craig as if they happen to know him. What do you know what money means to him or not? When he made his in famous remark about slashing his wrist he explicitly even said 'if I come back it would only because of the money'. And please don't tell me this "that's just his super dry super whit, that you just don't understand.
    Happy to take your money on Mendes coming back.
    I wonder what he's up to these days. Perhaps he would be up for the challenge in 2019.

Bottom line is over half the existing characters are his creation and I've always wondered why anyone worth his (or her) salt would want to pick up his mess midstream and run with it. Moreover, he (along with Craig) has been the vision for Bond for almost a decade.

I kinda want Mendes for Bond 25 now actually. They already have P+W and Craig coming back, we know how this will end up, might as well try and push it over into the "so bad it's good" category. If this is EON's last film, Let's really go out with a bang! ;)

For once, I'll live up to my alias. Mendes for Bond 25! You can do it EON. :)
    I have no problem with Mendes returning 'if' it's Craig again. They can clean up their mess together and perhaps could redeem themselves.

Otherwise give me a full clean slate please.

Or end the series.

Turns out M, Q, MP and Tanner were also fostered by the Oberhausers and we end up the 4 of them and Bond sneaking round the Garden of Death in ninja clobber as they get their final revenge on Blofeld.

Tragic for Babs if after another Mendes debacle she tries to sell and the best offer she can get is a pair of used white Reeboks and a bag of Quavers

I'm still laughing while I type this
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    So? The correct answer to that would have been:" Ian Fleming conceived James bond as a man. Period. "
    Excellent point. That would have indeed been the right answer to shut the fool down who asked the question. When I read the interview I found it strange that she wasn't more conclusive. Wilson's answer was better.
    jake24 wrote: »
    JWPepper wrote: »

Nope, it's the same guy.

Yep @jake24
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Can someone please list all the children of Barbara Broccoli and all the children of Michael G. Wilson?

Michael G has two sons both who have worked on the last 2 films I believe Gregg and David G Wilson.

Barbara has kids, I know at least one daughter and one Son, No names. She keeps them closely guarded from the media spotlight.

She told the EON Documentary her Daughter was taking a real inters tin film making. She also told ComingSoon.net

So is there a next generation of Broccolis and Saltzmans ready to jump into the Bond business?
    Saltzman: Let’s hope so.
    Broccoli: You never know. I mean, my son’s into film. He’s a film buff and he’s starting out right now and who knows? You never know
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/95343-exclusive-james-bond-producer-barbara-broccoli-hilary-saltzman#QRmr0T4FSg2jZQ3D.99

Gregg and Dave are natural successors to the crown. I would be shocked if EON sold out the rights with two young guys who have grown up within it, just like Babs and Mike did, who will protect it in the same way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As far as Nolan casting Hardy at 45, if his goal would be a trilogy featuring Bond as a veteran agent and with a three year release schedule, it would be no problem at all. Hardy would be 51 for his last film.
    I'm increasingly intrigued by the prospect of Hardy as Bond, but I don't see it happening. The man just has too good a career on the go at present to straightjacket himself with James Bond.
    Where's this sudden panic that EON is going to sell the rights coming from? They're sitting on one of the most secure franchises in the world. Why sell?

So was George Lucas with Star Wars. For him, $4 billion ($2 billion in cash and $2 billion in Disney stock) convinced him to sell.

I'm not saying the Broccoli-Wilson clan will sell. I'm just saying everybody has a price. For some the price is a LOT.
    Babs has been on record as saying "for the time being" she can't see making a Bond film without Craig. Well, Craig won't be around forever. So if she still feels that way after he's gone, there's a reason to sell.

In itself a ridiculous statement,especially from the point of view of a producer, who is practically telling his star: "demand whatever you want I pay it and be glad for it "

Sorry I have to correct you, she was answering a question on whether a woman should play Bond, while promoting Spectre

“It's like Hamlet, who has been played by a variety of different people, including women. So presumably Bond could be.

“But do I want to be making a Bond film without Daniel Craig? No, absolutely not!

“He's so integral to the whole process that I'm in denial about anyone else playing Bond. Genuinely.”

She didn't really want to discuss a future beyond Craig as quite rightly in her eyes Craig returned Bond to it's Golden Era of global interest. I don't think Dan is driven by money, in fact he said himself Bond has made him wealthy and given him freedom to make choices on the creative aspects alone, and what takes his interest. Money won't be what drives Craig to return. It will be whether the story is good, is the supporting cast good, and whether the Director is someone he's wanted to work with.

Also, I find it hard highly amusing how many people here on this forum talk about Craig as if they happen to know him. What do you know what money means to him or not? When he made his in famous remark about slashing his wrist he explicitly even said 'if I come back it would only because of the money'. And please don't tell me this "that's just his super dry super whit, that you just don't understand.

Your taking quotes our of context. He had said just before that line, he was fulfilled with Bond, had gotten to do everything as Bond from Birth to Death, then rebirth, see the world and doing some of his own stunts, and He said he "didn't want to look back and copy what's been done before". Hence the only incentive left would be money.

Craig's behaviour post films has always been similar, it's Bond overdose for 2 years (3 by the time he has done the promo work). Spectre really got to him due to Sony's behaviour over product placement and trying to cut him out after he suggest the mobile phone they wanted placed in the film wasn't befitting of Bond. Sony's reaction was to ask for another cast member to use the phone and pay them instead. Which is what happened MP uses the device in question instead.
    Physical wise it takes Dan 6 months of hard work and strict dieting to get in peak shape for Bond, which also takes it's mental as well as physical toll. It is no surprise that it is not a simple decision, if you are rich enough and feel you have done it all then what is the incentive? only a story that is too hard to say no too?, a Director you have always wanted to work with?, or an obscene amount of cash?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,981
    I'm increasingly intrigued by the prospect of Hardy as Bond, but I don't see it happening. The man just has too good a career on the go at present to straightjacket himself with James Bond.

I agree, my interest in him as Bond has risen; but he is in an interesting position; Hardy is an establish star but not a "Mega-star". He has established his credibility as an actor in a wide range of films and in very diverse roles. Mad Max and Batman shows he's not afraid of an established, large franchise.

I believe if offered the role he takes it.
    talos7 wrote: »

I agree, but he is in an interesting position; Hardy is an establish star but not a "Mega-star". He has established his credibility as an actor in a wide range of films and in very diverse roles. Mad Max and Batman shows he's not afraid of an established, large franchise.

I believe if offered the role he takes it.

Hardy would. He said himself, he doesn't want to talk about it, as if you talk about Bond you in someway rule yourself out by drawing too much attention in the press to it. IMO is it is his dream role.
    Tom Hardy would be an excellent choice for Bond.
  • What the odds are of it happening, I don't know, but I'm finding myself more and more intrigued by the idea of a Nolan/Hardy Bond film.
    Dennison wrote: »

I am dead set against it! The thought alone makes me sad.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

It's hard to explain but Hardy has it. That swagger.
    As far as Nolan casting Hardy at 45, if his goal would be a trilogy featuring Bond as a veteran agent and with a three year release schedule, it would be no problem at all. Hardy would be 51 for his last film.

Also, because of them being relatively close in age it would allow what some call a "soft reboot" and retain the supporting players. A much younger actor dictates a clean slate.

With that said, one way or another I believe Nolan would want a blank canvas.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,588

He also stated that if he were to stop doing it, he's miss it terribly, because [being Bond] is like nothing else.

Let's not forget when he blatantly stated that he has "genuinely never done a job for the money" when asked by Graham Norton how much money they would have to throw at him in order for him to return.

At the end of the day, it's your choice whether you want to believe that Craig respects the franchise and the role or if he couldn't give two sh*ts about it. If you choose to believe the latter, I certainly won't stop you.
    EON giving up? I think it's a bold move. A very interesting one.

The thing is... and correct me if I'm wrong... but Bond (character and novels) will enter the Public Domain in thirty years or so. Gunbarrel and JB Theme aside.

If the franchise must be selled, better do it now. Bond still values a lot without any direct competition. By 2049 maybe there will be various Bond films per year, including that Goldfinger remake most people here are afraid of. But many of us won't be alive by then, so it doesn't matter. :D

By 2049, I don't think people will be convinced to go only to the EON Bond film - that comes one every five years - because of the Gunbarrel or the James Bond Theme.
    They are barely using those things anyway. :P
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Also, because of them being relatively close in age it would allow what some call a "soft reboot" and retain the supporting players. A much younger actor dictates a clean slate.

With that said, one way or another I believe Nolan would want a blank canvas.

I'm not convinced that Nolan and Hardy would commit to a trilogy in any case. If they were serious about doing that Bond 25 would have been the perfect start. Hardy would've started at 41/2 and finished at 47/8.

It's hard to explain but Hardy has it. That swagger.
    Agreed. He certainly has that. Doesn't have to try.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Can someone please list all the children of Barbara Broccoli and all the children of Michael G. Wilson?

Michael G has two sons both who have worked on the last 2 films I believe Gregg and David G Wilson.

Barbara has kids, I know at least one daughter and one Son, No names. She keeps them closely guarded from the media spotlight.

She told the EON Documentary her Daughter was taking a real inters tin film making. She also told ComingSoon.net

So is there a next generation of Broccolis and Saltzmans ready to jump into the Bond business?
    Saltzman: Let’s hope so.
    Broccoli: You never know. I mean, my son’s into film. He’s a film buff and he’s starting out right now and who knows? You never know
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/95343-exclusive-james-bond-producer-barbara-broccoli-hilary-saltzman#QRmr0T4FSg2jZQ3D.99

Gregg and Dave are natural successors to the crown. I would be shocked if EON sold out the rights with two young guys who have grown up within it, just like Babs and Mike did, who will protect it in the same way.

Barbara's daughter is called Angelica Zollo. She attended the SPECTRE After Party with her mom at the British Museum. For what I read, she's into the film business as well.

2DD1673400000578-3290933-image-a-318_1445909713100.jpg
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    On a separate note: DC is most definitely going to have a say on the director.

Ooowh absolutely @TripAces. See the oped from Soderbergh above. But on the whole many fans in here have underestimated Craig's secondary role within the Bond franchise: He's a co-producer. It's too easy to say that's a 'gift' from Babs and Michael, to let him stay onboard. But we all know Craig's role and influence on his Bond films have been much bigger. I mean, he was the facilitator/initiator of a new director after QOS. That eventually was Sam Mendes. Since they knew each other from "Road To Perdition". But Craig's role as co-producer goes beyond that. We know he assisted in writing with QOS during the writer's strike. And on set of SF and SP he very much behaved like Mendes' assistant director. Basically, what Sir Sean Connery always wanted (and we know that he tried to have a greater writing influence on "Goldfinger", trying to make it more serious like his two predecessing Bond films), Daniel Craig eventually got.

There are obviously many risks involved in giving so much 'creative control' to a leading cast member. But IMO it paid off and so far made the quadrilogy of Bond films, CR, QOS, SF and SP, one hell of an exciting narrative 'tour-de-force'. And I don't mind if we continue this 'Craig-Universe', albeit slightly less tightly connected with the previous Bond films story-wise. And that Bond #25 will become again a step more 'stand alone', in which Craig portrays an even more fully-rounded 007 who has got his emotions in check and who now carries out a mission like he's supposed to do as an employee of MI6. As long as the Bond #25 story is top notch!

My guess is that Steven Soderbergh could pull this off, as he has some great ideas for a Bond film. And his film "Logan Lucky" could be as pivotal as an inspirator as other movies Daniel Craig starred in, like "Layer Cake" (Craig's stepping stone into Bond) and "Road To Perdition" (Craig's affinity with deeper drama, as we saw in SF). Having said that, Bond #25 could very well be an even funnier Bond film than SP, and could very well be more streamlined story-wise than its predecessors. And I am starting to think that therefore Steven Soderbergh could really be the main Bond #25 director candidate. Co-producer Daniel Craig and director Steven Soderbergh: I'm all in for it!

I would be perfectly happy with Soderbergh.

But TBH, I think Fincher could be more likely. And while that may seem implausible...Fincher is currently being wooed by (and possibly ready to accept the offer from) Brad Pitt to direct World War Z 2. I mean, if Fincher is willing to do that, you know he'd be game to do Bond.
    I have longed for a Fincher Bond.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Barbara's daughter is called Angelica Zollo. She attended the SPECTRE After Party with her mom at the British Museum. For what I read, she's into the film business as well.

2DD1673400000578-3290933-image-a-318_1445909713100.jpg

She looks a LOT like grandma Dana Broccoli!

Despite my criticism as of late, and rightfully so, I still admire Barbara Broccoli. Great woman who on set doesn't mind being the 'mater familias' to everyone, not to mention cooking some nice stuff for them.
    Wow she does look like her Grand Mother doesn't she?!!
    Is she an Indie type or is she interested in blockbusters? Babs was quite involved when younger with the Bond films from what I've read, particularly during Dalton's time.

She may want to get into the film business, but it would depend on where her interests lie. She may have more in common with Annapurna.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I don't know what people see in Hardy. The best I could see him in a Bond film is as a charismatic thug. He doesn't have that sophisticated Etonian swagger whatsoever. He's charismatic, sure. But, he's no Bond.