No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Btw, the Bond 25 Production Diary has officially become the forum's most commented thread, surpassing the Spectre Production Timeline's 870 pages.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Haggis for sure. What is the love child reference?
    I am under the impression he had concocted a scenario in an early script for QoS where Bond was in search of a child of Vesper's (from a previous relationship - not sure if it was Yusef). We were spared imho. I really don't want to see a kid in a future Bond film, regardless of how successful Logan was.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    There has only been one time that P and W worked on a bond film solo without a third writer and its Die another day. They need to get a third writer in on this film fast. Hint
    Paul haggis

Double hint
    Michael wilson?

Absobloodyexactly!

Frankly it's ridiculous that best writer on EON's staff stays in the background watching the Chuckle Brothers of scriptwriting flailing miserably rather than picking up his pen.

Come on MGW - one last time just to dig us out of the SP shaped hole we are in. Don't leave it to P&W.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,127
    Hats off to those still holding out hope for a fresh start. I'm already expecting the worst on this one. Bringing back Craig this late might sound strange, but to be quite honest I think they are desperate. Micheal can't really do it anymore, Babs seems a bit distracted and no one else is remotely ready to take the reins. I don't think they want to make any decisions right now that will affect the next 10 years, like hiring a new Bond. Right now, I think they just want to put a Bond film out without the pressure of designing a whole new era from the ground up.

That being said, if anyone is still believing we will see the start of a new era in 2019, that's encouraging to hear. I certainly hope you're right.
    Hats off to those still holding out hope for a fresh start. I'm already expecting the worst on this one. Bringing back Craig this late might sound strange, but to be quite honest I think they are desperate. Micheal can't really do it anymore, Babs seems a bit distracted and no one else is remotely ready to take the reins. I don't think they want to make any decisions right now that will affect the next 10 years, like hiring a new Bond. Right now, I think they just want to put a Bond film out without the pressure of designing a whole new era from the ground up.

That being said, if anyone is still believing we will see the start of a new era in 2019, that's encouraging to hear. I certainly hope you're right.
    I'm fast losing hope but there is still a slight glimmer. I think you're probably right. Oh well.
  • Will a new thread get started when they actually start production? Obviously most of this thread has nothing to do with the actual film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Will a new thread get started when they actually start production? Obviously most of this thread has nothing to do with the actual film.
    No, this thread will bring us through to B25's release. Unless the mods object?
    It makes more sense to bring in Craig for a grand sendoff if the rumors are true about EON selling the series. We could get another CR for all we know if we're lucky! I know people are down about P&W, but if they just bring in a new director or another writer something great could come. Assuming Craig is the leading man for Bond 25, I will be cautiously optimistic.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Where's this sudden panic that EON is going to sell the rights coming from? They're sitting on one of the most secure franchises in the world. Why sell?

So was George Lucas with Star Wars. For him, $4 billion ($2 billion in cash and $2 billion in Disney stock) convinced him to sell.

I'm not saying the Broccoli-Wilson clan will sell. I'm just saying everybody has a price. For some the price is a LOT.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Where's this sudden panic that EON is going to sell the rights coming from? They're sitting on one of the most secure franchises in the world. Why sell?

So was George Lucas with Star Wars. For him, $4 billion ($2 billion in cash and $2 billion in Disney stock) convinced him to sell.

I'm not saying the Broccoli-Wilson clan will sell. I'm just saying everybody has a price. For some the price is a LOT.
    Babs has been on record as saying "for the time being" she can't see making a Bond film without Craig. Well, Craig won't be around forever. So if she still feels that way after he's gone, there's a reason to sell.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »

Babs has been on record as saying "for the time being" she can't see making a Bond film without Craig. Well, Craig won't be around forever. So if she still feels that way after he's gone, there's a reason to sell.

Good point. I don't think she has interest in becoming the sole producer, and without Craig.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

Good point. I don't think she has interest in becoming the sole producer, and without Craig.
    I'm not saying it's the case mind you. Just that it could be if she feels so strongly about making films only with Craig. She has (as we've noted several times here) given him a lot of control and allowed him to craft the vision.

Perhaps ironically the reboot will be seen as the beginning of the end of the EON era.

Time will tell, and at least it won't affect the 2019 release.
    I think Babs & EON are tired & running out of ideas, theres ways to take it but they have tunnel vision IMO. Theyll do a finale with Craig & throw everything they have at it for one last go.

I think they delayed to 2019 on purpose for pent up demand, they had a story treatment for B25 in 2013/2014 when they were producing Spectre.

The director alone will tell us where theyre going with it,

• tqbtqb
    Where did this rumor of EON selling their Bond rights begin?
    tqb wrote: »
    Phil Nobile at Birthmoviesdeath.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/762982/#Comment_762982
  • bondjames wrote: »
    tqb wrote: »
    Phil Nobile at Birthmoviesdeath.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/762982/#Comment_762982

With the website that hosts this message board sort of confirming.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,721
    All this clamouring over Nolan...the guy is a super talented filmmaker - I'd be happy to see him direct a Bond film. But the idea of him 'taking over the franchise' does nothing for me. Anyone who wants to see a series get away on a filmmaker have a look at 'Dark Knight Rises'. Way over long, plot holes that make Skyfall and Spectre watertight by comparison, interpretations of a lead character that go against the spirit of the character originally created. And lest we forget he had a fairly strong hand in the snore-fest that was Man of Steel and helped with Batman vs Superman. I'm not anti-Nolan at all. But let's just be wary and not assume this is a slam-dunk for the franchise heading in the right direction.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Not too much obviously. I don't see any compelling reason mentioned in this article why he was always going to come back. If I'm wrong just cite the reason.

It is an excellent article. Thanks @Gustav_Graves.

As for reasons to believe DC was coming back: Mendelson linked to his own article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/09/29/why-the-next-james-bond-in-next-007-film-could-be-daniel-craig/#32f3a6bfe4a1

The more recent Mendelson article suggests DC's return is tied to the new studio deal. For sure, not one of those studios prefers its first Bond film on this deal, out of the gate, to be tied to an "unknown." Craig is a known commodity with a box office track record. Without a doubt, EON wants Craig, for at least Bond 25, to secure the best distribution deal it can get.

On a separate note: DC is most definitely going to have a say on the director.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Eon selling the franchise to Nolan? What drugs are being passed around here? =))
    tumblr_nnlxhaUlQF1und15po1_500.gif

In terms of their ethos and film making sensibilities The Nolan's (Syncopy) are the only working Producers I would trust with it. Nolan himself is a traditionalist, but he works at the cutting edge of cinema. It's this dichotomy which is evocative of Bond.

Very true. The series could fall into far, far worse hands than Nolan's.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Will a new thread get started when they actually start production? Obviously most of this thread has nothing to do with the actual film.

I heard from two different "reliable" sources that @jake24 will be selling this thread before Bond 25 comes out. It makes sense. Despite this being the most popular thread in MI6 history, he has no offspring to run the thread for him and he's been awfully distracted by Blake Lively lately.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero

LOL! Good one.
  • Well it's true!

Somebody will be like, can we please change the word "Fall" in the thread title to "Autumn" so as not to offend my British sensibilities?

And @jake24 will just reply:

rs_634x829-160624073045-634.blake-lively-gossip-girl.62416.jpg
    jake24 wrote: »

I heard from two different "reliable" sources that @jake24 will be selling this thread before Bond 25 comes out. It makes sense. Despite this being the most popular thread in MI6 history, he has no offspring to run the thread for him and he's been awfully distracted by Blake Lively lately.

I'd be interested in buying it. It's a very good thread, with plenty of rich, detailed discussion on Bond 25, though I must say some new subtopics would ensure it stayed fresh and relevant in the upcoming years. It doesn't have to be all Bond-related talk now does it? Some posts on religion, gay rights and Donald Trump would do nicely.

PM me if interested. ;)
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Well it's true!

Somebody will be like, can we please change the word "Fall" in the thread title to "Autumn" so as not to offend my British sensibilities?

And @jake24 will just reply:

rs_634x829-160624073045-634.blake-lively-gossip-girl.62416.jpg

Ha ha! Hilarious! :p
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I was certainly hoping we would see the start of a new era with Bond 25, but not since the announcement of Purvis & Wade writing the script and the rumor about the producers thinking about selling the franchise. Purvis & Wade means no Nolan, and starting a new era without Nolan means no Nolan for at least another decade. Now I desperately want Craig back for one more!
    Never heard a film get so much credit for sound design here on the forum. Must be quite the treat for the ears!
    I can vouch for it being absolutely phenomenal in this respect.

Here's hoping Bond 25 will deliver a similar performance in the sound design department!
    Or they could just get Lee Tamahori back. He could become the regular swan song director
    It would be good to read this oped from director Steven Soderbergh :-):
    http://extension765.com/soderblogh/2-most-irrelevant-no-1
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    TripAces wrote: »
    On a separate note: DC is most definitely going to have a say on the director.

Ooowh absolutely @TripAces. See the oped from Soderbergh above. But on the whole many fans in here have underestimated Craig's secondary role within the Bond franchise: He's a co-producer. It's too easy to say that's a 'gift' from Babs and Michael, to let him stay onboard. But we all know Craig's role and influence on his Bond films have been much bigger. I mean, he was the facilitator/initiator of a new director after QOS. That eventually was Sam Mendes. Since they knew each other from "Road To Perdition". But Craig's role as co-producer goes beyond that. We know he assisted in writing with QOS during the writer's strike. And on set of SF and SP he very much behaved like Mendes' assistant director. Basically, what Sir Sean Connery always wanted (and we know that he tried to have a greater writing influence on "Goldfinger", trying to make it more serious like his two predecessing Bond films), Daniel Craig eventually got.

There are obviously many risks involved in giving so much 'creative control' to a leading cast member. But IMO it paid off and so far made the quadrilogy of Bond films, CR, QOS, SF and SP, one hell of an exciting narrative 'tour-de-force'. And I don't mind if we continue this 'Craig-Universe', albeit slightly less tightly connected with the previous Bond films story-wise. And that Bond #25 will become again a step more 'stand alone', in which Craig portrays an even more fully-rounded 007 who has got his emotions in check and who now carries out a mission like he's supposed to do as an employee of MI6. As long as the Bond #25 story is top notch!

My guess is that Steven Soderbergh could pull this off, as he has some great ideas for a Bond film. And his film "Logan Lucky" could be as pivotal as an inspirator as other movies Daniel Craig starred in, like "Layer Cake" (Craig's stepping stone into Bond) and "Road To Perdition" (Craig's affinity with deeper drama, as we saw in SF). Having said that, Bond #25 could very well be an even funnier Bond film than SP, and could very well be more streamlined story-wise than its predecessors. And I am starting to think that therefore Steven Soderbergh could really be the main Bond #25 director candidate. Co-producer Daniel Craig and director Steven Soderbergh: I'm all in for it!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Well said, @Gustav_Graves ! Soderbergh really would be an excellent choice for Craig's final Bond film. In fact, right now the only two choices I would be 100% happy with are Soderbergh and Campbell.

SODERBERGH
    Pros: has worked with Craig before; great director; loves and understands the Bond franhchise
    Cons: he is American, and although he has directed big movies before, he has never directed anything as large as a Bond movie

CAMPBELL
    Pros: directed not one, but two two well-received Bond movies; worked with Craig before
    Cons: too old(?), hasn't directed anything decent since CR

EDIT: just found this Soderbergh quote: “Over the years, I’ve been in conversations… ,” he said with a pause and some hesitation and then just blurted it out. “I’ve been approached twice about doing a Bond film. And it never quite got anywhere. And [‘Haywire’] in some ways, was my opportunity to do what I would do with a Bond movie.”
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Soderbergh is a chameleonic director of a particularly high quality. Action, thriller, comedy, heist, drama, art-house - he's done it all including winning academy awards and topping the box office. He also does his own cinematography and draws top draw performances from his actors. I'd be genuinely curious to see what he would do and I believe he would do a great job without becoming possessive of the direction of the franchise.